Agreement

The Biography of a Vampire

At the Lee residence, Hakyun was stupidly grinning for no reason.

“What’s wrong with you?” Myungsoo asked, taking a sip from his glass of blood.

Watching him closer, Hakyun’s grin got even bigger, looking as a mad man.

“Is Jina a good kisser?”

Myungsoo’s eyes widened and tried to ignore the question but Hakyun just started to laugh loudly.

“My, my, you smell like her even after showering. Must have been pretty rough.”

 If Myungsoo could’ve blushed, he would’ve done it. Thankfully, he was just embarrassed.

“It’s not your problem what I do.”

Hakyun raised an eyebrow and snickered.

“Maybe not. But my dear nephew, even if he doesn’t recognize it, he does.”

“Does what?”

Hakyun smirked knowingly.

“He cares. Vampires choose to stop or not that feeling. Love doesn’t exist in this world because feelings change. How can you love something that suffers continuous changing? But even worse is something that doesn’t change at all. It becomes monotone, like a desk job. You go every day to the same place, same work, same attitude, same personality and same life. You start having déjà vus because life becomes boring and repeats itself.” Hakyun started, scanning Myungsoo’s expression, “Yoo didn’t tell you this, huh?” He snickered seeing how easily he could turn Myungsoo’s so called education into something that could favor him.

“You think I’m stupid? Do you think I believe everything Yoo told me? He helped me get through some hard moments, indeed, but that’s all. I do care about Jina too and I’m not afraid to yell it out if I have to. I care!”

The door suddenly opened.

“Good. ‘Cause I care too.”

Both vampires turned to look into Joonyoung’s icy eyes.

“I care what happens with my sister and even if I have my own problems I will protect her as I did before, because that’s what older brothers do.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, “And how are you going to start this protecting mission?”

Joonyoung smirked, the glint of superiority appearing into his eyes.

“With you.”

 Hakyun got up and chuckled bemusedly.

“And so the real game begins.” He mumbled, knowing fully what Yoo’s plans were.

It wasn’t hard to figure it out since it had actually been obvious from the beginning.

“Let’s see who dies and who lives.” Hakyun continued, shaking lightly the glass of blood he was holding.

••••

While Joonyoung was making his own plan, concerning both Hongbin and Myungsoo, and while Hakyun was enjoying the intensity of the problems, in other places people were getting themselves ready for the real battle that was about to come.

“Did you talk to him?”

Dana glanced at her mother and nodded.

“Good. He must know about the agreement.”

“Why did you want me to tell Joonyoung everything? Isn’t he the enemy?”

Billie shook her head.

“Vampires and werewolves aren’t deadly enemies. It is in our nature but we live in the 21st century.” A voice called out from the shadows.

Dana watched as the man came out to light. He was fit, he had messy brown hair and yellow eyes and he looked quite attractive but it was obvious he was much older than her. Billie smiled at the man.

“Dana, you haven’t had the pleasure to meet Kang Dongwon. He’s an old friend.”

“An old werewolf friend. Why doesn’t it surprise me?”

 “I’m a nice man. I just want to live a normal life in the end.” Dongwon answered, “I’m actually an acquaintance of Yoo’s.” He added, seeing the shock in Dana’s eyes, “Happens all the time. It’s surprising to hear that Yoo has actually never hated werewolves. He’s not such a bad vampire but, well, alright, he is evil and playful but he likes peace. He likes to be just Gong Yoo, the man-, the vampire who likes to mess around but he does everything with measure. He knows when to stop.”

“Then why doesn’t he stop this?”

Dongwon nodded, acknowledging the question as being proper.

“That’s a good question. I would say you could ask him but that’s impossible. Just the family knows where he is. They feel each other’s presence. The Jung family has always been a mystery, for everyone. But they never started a fight.” Dongwon explained.

“What about Jina?” Dana asked, a smirk widening on her face.

“Jina’s behavior has always been under watch. Yoo is not stupid. He’s everywhere somehow. What you told Joonyoung is true, there’s not one lie in what you said but Jina is what a true vampire means. She has all the attributes.”

“What’s with this agreement?”

Dongwon glanced at Billie, who nodded in response.

“From generation to generation, vampire nobles have always ended up killing each other for nothing.  You know what Jina has done in the past. She hasn’t been the only one. The nobles used to marry their children between the families, like Lee and Jung. There has always been a human that had to mess up everything and there has always been a victim who changed drastically and became more evil than the Devil himself. So, Jina isn’t the first and definitely won’t be the last to simply lose control. The Jungs are the ones that made this agreement. It may sound weird because I know there are so many stories about werewolves and vampires and the eternal battles between them but no one wanted a war. Yoo is one of the elder vampires and he took it upon himself to keep the agreement secure. It seems vampires want to rebel or a few at least. Jina is like a weapon. She is the key to break it.”

“If Jina dies, Gong Yoo would rip it off.”  Dana started, “But if Jinaa lives, she will kill.”

“No. Yoo knows that Jina will recover. These three men mean something to her.”

“So we have to fight for this agreement to be kept.” Dana concluded, “The vampire slayers will kill all the vampires that rebel by trying to kill Jina.”

“If humans find out the truth, they might get the wrong idea. It’s better to keep them safe by leaving them believe vampires and werewolves are cool and intriguing.”

Dana bent her head and sighed. It really wasn’t what she expected. There were so many risks and so many troubles.

The next day everyone went to school. Everyone was present and they were all acting way too normal. Yuna stopped hanging around Jina and she developed a huge crush on Myungsoo, from distance. On the other side Mino and Dana were inseparable, which caused a small tinge of jealousy through Joonyoung. Hongbin and Myungsoo were each hanging with their own ‘friends’. The one constantly absent was Jina.

“You talked to her?” Myungsoo asked Joonyoung, peeking at Dana. “She’s a vampire slayer.”

 “What did she tell you?” Hongbin asked, just as curious as Myungsoo.

“I believe it doesn’t interest you.”

 “Is it about Jina?” Hongbin added, having enough patience to question the older brother.

“No.” The Jung noble answered coldly and left.

 “What do you think they talked about?”  Myungsoo asked not taking his eyes off Dana, who felt his intense gaze on her back.

Mino glanced at Hongbin, as a sign to nudge the younger vampire to take his eyes off her. Hongbin didn’t even budge; instead he sat up and left too. He had so many thoughts running through his head.

Hongbin was near Fey’s when he saw Jina with a random man. It was obvious she just wanted to drain him out of blood but not obvious enough for the victim. He stood there, near the entrance, watching her, listening to her. His eyes closed for a moment and that was enough to let go of the strings and remember.

The weather was more than bad and it got even worse. It was storming outside but inside the Jung mansion, Jina’s laughter was filling every corridor.

“You’re such a cheater!” Jina whined, narrowing her eyes at the boy standing across her.

 “How can you cheat at chess?!” Hongbin shouted, staring at her with wide amused eyes.

Jina stuck her tongue out and crossed her hands in front her chest.

“I don’t know. Maybe you moved a piece while I wasn’t looking.”

He chuckled and shook his head.

“I couldn’t even if I wanted to. Your eyes never left the chess table or me.”

 She stared directly at him and shrugged. When a loud thunder Jina looked outside like it was sunny. She went closer to the window, a smile gracing her lips when a bolt of lightning appeared on the sky.

“First there’s the thunder,” She started. A few seconds later there was another loud noise coming from the sky. “And second comes the lightning.” She finished, her eyes enlightened by the phenomenon outside.

“Ain’t that normal?”

 “Of course it is. It’s just that I feel like there’s a huge storm coming, that not even father can prevent.”

 “There are times he won’t be able to prevent anything.” Hongbin mumbled, walking behind her.

The female smiled innocently and glanced at the male next to her.

“I know. That’s why I have you.”

Hongbin couldn’t help but smile too at her naivety.

“And when I won’t be here? What will happen?”

Her smile remained unchanged.

“I can always count on Joonyoung.” Her response made Hongbin laugh.

“He’s always been your prince in shining armor.”

She rolled her eyes and walked deeper into the room. She sat on one of the armchairs, very lady like, but her smile cracked.

“Have you ever wondered what would happen if you’d be the only one?” Jina asked out of nowhere.

 “The only one?”

 She nodded, again that innocence never leaving her form.

“The only vampire alive,”

The man shrugged. He didn’t know what to respond because he knew vampires will always exist. They survived so long so why would they suddenly disappear?

“I don’t understand.” He tried to cover it up.

Jina sighed and shook her head, dismissing the subject altogether.

“Nevermind. It was stupid anyway.”

 He looked intently at her face, seeing as whenever she was thinking about something, it could be seen on her face. In that moment, her face didn’t give any hint of what she was reflecting so hard on.

“What got you so preoccupied, Jina?” He asked while walking closer to her.

“These past few days I’ve been thinking about being a vampire.”

He chuckled slightly, trying not to sound too amused by that.

“Being a vampire? But you are already one.”

“No. I’ve seen vampires, real vampires, and they’re not like me. I can’t even stand blood, Hongbin! I’m afraid of so many things and I act like a harmless human.” There was a small pause where just the storm could be heard. “I’m sick of this. I want to be a real vampire. A vampire like uncle Yoo.”

At first he didn’t find that conversation weird but there was definitely something wrong with Jina’s sudden admiration for her uncle. She always appreciated humans, reason why she had a human best friend but the thought of being evil and killing people seemed to suddenly arise in her mind. She wanted to change more for Hongbin because he used to tell her she acted like a baby sometimes. Even if those were just small teases, for Jina it was the true and she never liked it.

Now that he was thinking about that, Jina needed just a push so she could change, become like her uncle, a small nudge that Hongbin gave to her willingly. He didn’t like it one bit. She got another nudge and the balance was disturbed, shaken. Joonyoung was still her chevalier, Myungsoo was the person she could use as support and he was the one that started everything.

“The past is repeating itself.” Hongbin mumbled, watching Jina’s form disappear behind the front door.