= 24 =

I Can't Stay But Please, Love Me

Hana went down the lobby and thought of going out to get coffee. She was too pissed off with Jean to come back up. And she certainly didn't want to meet Jean's anger.

She walked out of the lobby when she saw a man looking up the building, his phone in his hand. She stopped when he lowered his head and their eyes met. She felt her chest tighten and a sudden surge of emotions filled her. Why should he appear now?

"Oppa...," she said.

"Hana. I was wondering if I should just go up to your room," said Gray as he walked closer.

"There's no need to," said Hana trying her best not to cry as she felt water rise up her eyes.

"Are you all right?" asked Gray looking straight at her.

"Nae. I'm fine," she said faking a smile as she looked back at the hotel entrance. "Do you want to walk around? Get some coffee maybe?" she asked.

"I've had enough walks for tonight. But a cup of coffee wouldn't be too bad," he smiled. "Let's go."

"Great. Let's go," she said walking before Gray. She grabbed that chance to wipe her tears away.

They walked to a nearby coffee shop without talking so much. Hana has just gone through a fit with Jean and she still felt guilty at shouting at her. And here she is with the person who was the reason of their arguement. Gray has just gone through a serious talk with Debi. And here he is with the girl that makes his heart stir.

"I don't want you messing with her, Gray. I'm serious," said Debi leaning on the fence at the park they went to far from the club.

"Who said I would mess with her? I like her," he answered. He took Debi's words seriously. "Do you like her, too?" he asked staring at him.

Debi huffed and straightened himself. "Yeah. I do. I love her. I've been waiting to tell her that for years now," he said.

"Oh," Gray managed to say looking down.

"You're beating me to her," smirked Debi.

"It's not like I can take her from you. I've only known her for a few days," he said.

"Yeah. You can say that at the end of the day, I'll still be the one she would run to. But I can see it in you," said Debi facing him. "You want her."

How did he know that? Gray was thinking to himself. Was he that obvious? He didn't know how to answer back.

"I'll let you pass this time, man," said Debi in English. "She's only gonna be here for 3 more days anyway. If you two actually like each other, I can't do anything else, can I? But if not, I won't let you lay a hand on her again," he said.

"Can I at least hug her before she leaves?" said Gray.

"Sure. I guess a lot of you would miss her anyway," said Debi.

"You've been a good friend to Hana, Debi. She loves you," said Gray.

"She used to hate me, hyung," said Debi looking away.

"What do you mean?" Gray asked as he waited for him to continue.

"I was there when they got into an accident. In the Philippines. Me, Hana and her dad. She was in front beside her dad. I was at the back. We were on the right lane, the light was green. But out of nowhere, this bigger car approached us fast, hitting the driver side. I hugged her. We got out and lived. She asked me to get back in and get her dad. I smelled gas coming from somewhere. I just looked at the car while she cried. I got back to my senses and carried her far from the burning cars. I wasn't able to get to her dad."

Gray didn't speak and looked down. Jean told them Hana didn't ride shotgun. This was the story then.

"She cried. She didn't blame me but I know she was hurt. There was nothing else I could do back then. She didn't speak to me. But she kept hugging me, asking me to stay with her. I couldn't. I had to come back here."

Debi faced him once more and said, "That's our difference. I make her remember things she wants to forget. You... You make her forget whatever she used to believe in. If she'd choose me, it would be a miracle. I'm just a friend to her, a savior. But with you, I don't know."

"Hey, Debi. I appreciate you talking to me about her, what you feel for her and what you want me to do. But don't act like you'll lose her because of me, or anyone else. I like her, yes. And I'm getting myself ready to be left alone, to be dumped. You shouldn't be. She needs you. She needs someone like you to look out for her. I don't know her. You do," said Gray.

"And that's why I'm saying this. If you're just playing around with her, stop. She's been hurt too much to get more from you. She doesn't deserve to be."

Debi's words still rang in his head and he was contemplating. What exactly does he feel for Hana? It has only been two days since he met her and he feels so attached. They aren't even the ideal couple. He was the older one but he felt childish just at the thought of her. He would chat with her secretly. He would stare at her longingly. He was jealous of anyone that gets close to her. He was with her on a midnight where none of their friends know they were together. He was definitely falling for her.

He now looked at how Hana's eyes wondered through the menu. She was smiling as she said, "what are you getting?"

"Anything you'll get," said Gray standing right beside her, their arms rubbing against each other.

"Remember when we first met at a coffee shop yesterday?" asked Hana looking at him. He nodded and remembered how he was caught by her eyes and smile. "Let's get mocha frappe," she said smiling and looking back at the cashier. "2 please."

They paid and waited for their orders to be served at a table at the far end of the shop. They sat across each other. Gray stared at her while Hana tried to avoid it. She looked at her phone and held onto it tight.

"Is everything fine?" asked Gray.

Hana looked at him and smiled. "I just saw the time. It's almost one," she said.

"Yeah. Do you want to go back now? I'll walk with you," he offered.

"No. It's fine. I mean, I can go back any time," she said.

"Are you sure? How about Jean?" he asked.

"She's already asleep. Don't worry," she lied.

"Okay," nodded Gray. "You didn't answer my last message. That's why I went to your hotel. I was surprised to see you outside, too."

"You replied? Really? I didn't see it yet. I'm sorry," she said looking down on her phone.

She immediately thought of her laptop she left on the table at their room. She hopes Jean didn't see her Twitter messages. She'd be dead.

Their orders came. Gray started drinking but Hana just twirled the straw between her fingers. Gray noticed it and asked, "Are you all right? You look so uneasy."

"Huh?" said Hana unfocused.

"You've been uneasy since we met. You looked like you were about to cry. Is everything all right?" he asked leaning forward.

Hana looked at his eyes and searched. She saw sincerity and care. She sighed and slumped into her chair. "I'm sorry. Me and Jean. We-we had a fight," she said looking down. "Not a big one. We just shouted at each other. When I saw you at the hotel, I didn't see your messages. I just really wanted to breathe. Think," she said.

"Oh. So, I'm now your confidant?" he asked proudly.

"No. Maybe. I don't know. I just couldn't lie to you anymore," she said crossing her arms. "I'm sorry."

Gray crossed his arms on the table and smiled. "I'm still glad you told me. You two would get along again. You're best friends," he said. "Want to go somewhere else and forget about us talking about your fight?" he asked before taking a sip from his drink.

"I don't know. It's already late. I should get back," said Hana.

"Don't worry. You have me," smiled Gray.

Hana felt safe as she looked at Gray smile at her. He once again took a sip. Hana leaned forward and touched his hand on the table. "Thank you, oppa," she said.