006

Reach For The Sky

UPDATED: 011015


 

10:20 am

Mom thought I was with Yeonhee when I disappeared, but I actually ran from the restaurant. I went to a near park. I sat there thinking and thinking.

What should I do?

 

.

11:01 am

We're home. The four of us.

Mom and Mr. Kim were conversing. It was nice, lovey-dovey, and fluffy.  

Yeonhee and I were silent.

I wanted to tell them all, but I can't risk it.

I think everything would be fine if the wedding was canceled. Everything would be perfect if these two get divorced.

Mrs. Kim spoke like she's seen a lot of people like this. Like mom. Women who had their eyes on rich men, men who're probably relatives or work-partners to Mrs. Kim.

She had her eyes on mom, and she probably has something up her sleeves concerning mom's situation. Nothing happened, but just thinking about a possibility of something scares the hell out of me.

She is two-faced, and I couldn't figure it out until I heard her conversation.

If I didn't, I would still be in the dark.

I suddenly interrupted the couple. "Mom, I need to talk to you,"

She looked strangely at me, but she managed a very calculated smile at her husband. "I will be back, honey," he nodded in result.

 

.

11:03 am

I couldn't afford the risks to speak in the living room, or the dining room, I went to my room and locked the door after me.

"Mom, don't marry him,"

"What?"

I shook my head. "I mean, do not do this public wedding, please."

She sighed as she crossed her arms. "What brought this up, Haneul? I thought you are finally okay with it,"

I rolled my eyes as I raised my eyebrows. "Truthfully, I've never been okay with it, but that's not the case,"

Her face expression changed, like she predicted how this conversation is going to go.

"Look, okay," I nodded. "Marry him, but let's not make it public,"

She bit her lips and then cupped my face. "Haneul, Minjoon wants this to happen so badly, I can’t just tell him don't do it, you know?"

I politely put her hands down off my face. I said, not helping but show some mockery in my voice. "So he wants it, not you, huh?"

She didn't say anything because I spoke right away. "You know nothing, right? Or you pretend that you don't? These people think you married him because of his money."

She closed her eyes, her habit before slapping me in the face, because I hit a sensitive string. "Well, I know one thing, Haneul. I married Minjoon because we are in love." She chuckled, which contracted with her previous expression. "I've never felt like this before. I love him, that's why I married him,"

A moment of silence passed.

I narrowed my eyes. "Do you?"

"What?"

"Do you really love the man?"

She scoffed, but again, she didn't say anything because I was faster. "You loved so many men, why is this one so special?"

Her face defined disbelief. "Haneul, I don't know what your point out of all of this, but I don't need to prove anything to you. Don't talk to me like you're the mom."

Someone knocked on my door. Miss Shay was behind it. "Madam, the package you're waiting for came."

"Later, later," I spoke. I didn't need us to get interrupted, not while Mrs. Kim is definitely plotting for something.

"But it needs her signature, the postman is at our door,"

Mom answered as she opened the door. "Okay, I am coming."

"Uggh,"

I followed her and we were discussing the same thing on our way down the stairs, Miss Shay was right before us. "What I want is not so big of a deal, you know you can do it, but you just choose not to."

"I choose not to because you're not speaking logically, Haneul. Can you even hear yourself sometimes?"

I stopped and looked at her back. Is she actually talking about me? Can't she hear herself while talking? Can't she see how irrelevant she is?

No, of course, she can't.

Mom thinks I'm making something up so the wedding will simply be canceled. Mom thinks I am not saying this because I am actually dead worried and I might pee in my pants.

Another way to drive her attention to me.

There were big boxes and bags at the entrance. Some stuff were familiar.

I saw my mom approaching the man and signing as she checked that everything was here.

I blinked in shock. "Mom," I said, for some explanation. "What are those?"

She seemed anxious that I walked with her to the door and she seemed even more anxious as I asked her. "Tell me those are things you needed for the wedding preparations,"

I stepped closer. "Tell me those are not your belongings and-"

"Yes, they are." She stood. She seemed tall and she looked down at me.

"I'm permanently moving in here."

I scoffed. "You said we came here for a few days,"

"I did, then I changed my mind."

I believe she didn't change her mind at all. It was what she first agreed to with her husband, but again, I am the last one to know.

"So we are not going back to Seoul, together?"

Mom shook her head as she thanked the man and walked him to the door.

 

.

 

I spent the rest of the day in the beach.

Gladly, no one followed me there. It appears that no one likes it here except me.

.

 

21 June 2014

Mom and I are not talking.

I was okay with it. And she seems so as well.

However, it kind of pierces my heart to see her talking normally with Yeonhee and even throw some jokes with her.

I spent another day, after working for 6 hours, at the beach.

I brought my phone, a jacket, a book, and my bag which had a bottle of water and some chocolates.

I was thinking, and I unknowingly started crying.

Ah. I guess my period is approaching.

I don't cry so easily.

It is already 10:00 pm and I think I should head to my room.

I collected my things, but the lump in my throat was still there.

It didn't go away.

I know it is difficult to make it disappear.

I walked and then I started running.

I got into the house from the back door. The lights were dim, and I guess mom and Yeonhee are out.

Thankfully, no one's home.

But someone saw me. Someone saw my crying face, which is what hate the most.

It was Wonwoo, the guy I pumped into the other day.

This shouldn't have happened.

 

.

22 June 2014

I got up early. I went out for a walk. My bag was with me with the clothes I need for the day, so I won't need to come back to my room and change.

I won't need to face anyone.

My plan was to attend my mom's wedding and immediately pack my things back to Seoul.

I will not stay here for long.

That's the result of two days of deep thinking.

Mom apparently doesn't need me by her side. She has everyone by her side.

Her new daughter, her loving husband, the servants who grew to like her day by day, and Wonwoo, the guy whose family has been working for the Kims for a long time.

Whether I am here or not is not different.

Once I was done running, I heard a familiar voice. It was Mrs. Byun.

"Miss Haneul?"

She was dressed in a white and black one-piece dress. She had a green Hermes bag in one hand and her phone in the other one.

She smiled lightly as she took her eyeglasses off.

"Good morning, Mrs. Byun," I didn't smile. I didn’t want her to see me running. I didn't want anyone to see me doing any activity.

People sometimes misunderstood somethings. People consider themselves close to you when they know something about you. That will get them something to talk with you about, which is what I've been doing.

But she appeared from nowhere.

"I see you're getting to like the neighborhood," her smile got wider and I was able to see all of her white teeth. "I am sure you will love it even more with time,"

Little you know Mrs. Byun, I want the chance to get as far as possible from here.

I did my appreciative smile and it was fake that my cheeks started to hurt. Mrs. Byun was nice though, but I fear behind all this niceness is a monster. I mean, no need for more shocks. Mrs. Kim was enough I guess.

I nodded and said with a mockery she probably couldn't sense. "I think I am already,"

She patted my shoulder and I froze. She considers me family, that's why the touching is allowed. But I am not. I am only a girl whose mother is insane enough to marry a chaebol who's well-known to half of Korean citizens.

"listen," she said before getting into the car. "You should come today to our house,"

I froze again.

"My husband's niece has come home after 4 years studying in France, so we're doing a little party for that occasion,"

She is still talking and I wasn't.

"I've already told your mom and everyone else, but since it is rare to see, Haneul, I wasn't able to invite you myself,"

Oh, she remembers my name. People usually forget it which always remind me I am not important enough.

She said all that with the same smile. Her all days smile. Her my-days-are-perfect-and-I-haven't-had-a-bad-day-for-ages smile.

I wonder how she does it and I also wondered if it is real.

I shrugged with a polite smile. "I will see,"

 

.

 

6:00 pm

I lied in my temporary bed. I breathed in and out.

I smell like .

I worked, ran for an hour, and walked back to the house by foot.

I stink.

I need to take a shower.

My wound is slowly healing. The method of covering it when I use water worked.

It would be so nice to take a shower and then sleep.

It is too early to sleep, I know.

But, the idea itself bring peace inside me.

I feel relieved.

I've done so much today.

I didn't cry, and I didn’t come near the beach. I buried myself into work and doing anything for distraction. I succeeded.

It took me ten minutes to take a shower and jump into bed again.

Slowly, I was drowning into a deep sleep.

 

.

6:26 pm

I don't know who the hell dare disturbing my nap, but I will do something to make them regret it. It's been awhile since I had such a good, fine session of sleep.

It's like I can feel it in my mouth.

"What?" I almost shouted at Yeonhee who was ready to go out. She was dressed up in a floral playsuit, her hair was straightened with the front strands pulled to the sides.

She swallowed and she looked down and up at me. "Ahm, your mom said-"

"What my mom said? Now, she remembers that she has a daughter-" I realized that I was speaking out-loud.

"She said to go and check on you, you know, if you're ready or not," her eyes were moving from direction to direction nervously as she griped on her glittery clutch.

"Ready?" I said as I sighed. "For what?"

She blinked. "The party at the Byuns?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, as you can see, I am not ready. Go tell your mom that I don't want to go anywhere," I slammed the door shut and ran to my bed, as if it's going to fly away if I didn't run fast enough.

After five minutes, the door was knocked again. But in contract to the previous knock, this knock-er didn't wait for me to answer nor open, she rushed into my room.

"You're still mad or what? For god's sake, how many times do I have to tell you, you have to come along with me wherever I go and there's people. They must see us together, can't you understand?"

She was wearing a green jumpsuit that fitted her body perfectly. She loves to brag about her body, just like any other woman, I guess. Maybe Mrs. Kim was right.

Mr. Kim fell in love with my mom because she's hella damn hot compared to woman her age.

She knew how to look good, and that's what women needs. They don't need to have a specific amount of beauty. They're beautiful in their own way, and they're even more pretty when they know what to and not to do.

"I am tired," I shrugged as I faced her, still in bed. "Can't you see that? Or I should be the one who's always required to see things?

"Tired? Of what, if I may ask?" she crossed her arms and looked pathetically at me in my PJs, hair still wet.

"Tired of life? Tired of lying and faking that I am okay with this marri-"

She sighed. "oh god, she's bringing it up again,"

"No, mom. I am serious. I need to rest for awhile."

Mom approached the bed and sat near me, but I didn't change my position. I was lying on my belly and it was comfortable. I was too comfortable to change it when I know that she will get bored and exit immediately. "Weren't the two past days enough?"

"No, they weren't."

She suddenly patted my . "Let's not ruin our week, huh? Get up, get well-dressed, and just come with us. It won't kill you."

I widened my eyes at how freely she touched my . "Well, it won't kill you either if I just stayed in my room. For real, no one would even notice if I came or not. No one knows about the existence of Yoon Haneul in the first place, so why I come?"

Mom's smile told me she finds something so amusing, but she chose not to reveal it. "Mrs. Byun knows about you, and she expect you to come with us."

"Do you think this is going to make me accept? Like, I would say yes and follow just because Mrs. Byun knows my name and we've had a breakfast together once? The answer is no, mom."

She shook her head. "How can you be so hard-headed?"

"Why doing what I want make me a hard-headed? If I said yes, will that make me less hard-headed?"

Mom's phone vibrates. "God, you're complicating the thing when it is so simple. Just come with us."

She shrugged and I had the feeling that she will force me to go. "Don’t do anything, I'm not asking you to have conversations with the people there, just eat."

I didn't say anything, as if it is the end of the discussion. But this is my mom we're talking about. She won't give up.

"Mrs. Byun told me that she ran into you this morning and told you herself. She told me that you said yes,"

I narrowed my eyes. "I didn't,"

"Whatever, please, Haneul."

I realized that Yeonhee was at the door looking at us but not daring to step inside.

"Uggh, fine." I stood as I threw the towel on the floor. "But I will complain all the time,"

Mom smiled in victory.

 

.

 

We are at the Byuns.

Mom, Minjoon, Yeonhee, and I.

Mr. Kim wore a suit that matched his toned skin. Once he was inside, he started smiling at this and waving at that.

Mrs. Byun wore an orange dress. She greeted us with her famous smile. "Welcome, I'm glad you all came!"

She introduced us to some of her relatives and friends. She got many, I thought.

Their house was spacious. It was an open space. The rooms were opened up to one another making the all in all area look bigger than its actual size.

Everything was neat and in place. You can say so many things about someone as you look at their house. I can see Mrs. Byun's touch in the house. The furniture, the paintings, the textures and patterns of the wallpaper.

It is so beautiful to look at.

So many details.

"I see that it didn’t hurt you at all to accompany us, Haneul." Mom whispered in my ears and I didn’t say anything back. I am forced to attend this stupid party that's held for someone I don't even know.  

Everyone here was rich, arrogant, and spoke about nothing important and interesting. All of them were talking and bragging about something they've done or somewhere they've been to.

It's all money-centred.

But mom was right, the food was really good.

Something else that captivated my eyes, is that I can see the sea from where I was standing. The walls of the lounge was made of glass and it looked amazing to have a room like this. The ceiling was high and it gave off the desired effect.

A room were you're surrounded by glass and you can clearly see what's outside.

I guess I'm going to stop by in the future just to see how this room will look like in the morning while the sun is out.

I unknowingly smiled at the sight of the sea. But my smile immediately vanished as my eyes caught something else.

Correction: someone else.

Sweet, soft features, charming but simple smile, and enchanting eyes. Those eyes and that smile did something strange to me. I don't know what it is.

My heart, I am sure, was audible to everyone's ears.

I can hear it as if it was drums from an experienced drummer.

I can feel that it almost pierced out of my ribcage.

I forgot how to breathe.

I forgot how to move.

I forgot who I am and where I am.

I forgot everything, and everything went in a slow motion.

The people passing by me and greeting each other. The people who serve the people around me some alcohol.

The noise gradually grew lower, until everything went silent except from my irregular heartbeats.

My eyes were fixated on him.

And only him.

I don't know him, but it felt like I did, and for a long, long time.

Something inside me turn the emergency alarm on.

Something inside me announced a code-red. A warning.

Something told me that I should take my eyes away, but I didn't listen. I couldn't.

My breathing hitched, and I wondered about a lot of things. Too many that my head seemed to stop processing.

If someone didn't accidentally push me to the front, I wouldn't have taken my eyes off of him.

I looked at the ceramic floor. My heart is still beating so hard.

I am afraid to lift my eyes. I fear if I did, I will lock my eyes with his and he will know my secrets. I would be exposed.

I needed something to drink for sure.

I grabbed the first thing close to my hands and I gulped it at once.

"Honey, are you okay?" Mom frowned.

I lied. "I am fine, mom. I am fine."


AN: Thanks for the new subbies! Hope you liked the story so far!
So, who do you think that is? 

Baekhyun or Mingyu?

I want to see what you guys think is going to happen!

I want to see so many comments :(