010

Reach For The Sky

UPDATED: 081115


I reached where the two lovebirds were standing. My smile was too fake. This is my first time witnessing two people having in the same room as me. I've seen my mom kiss and play with her other husbands, but I would leave the room immediately.

It felt like my arrival wasn't welcomed. At least for Minwoo, he seems uncomfortable at the sight of me approaching them. "Hi," he was surprised to see me for reasons I couldn't comprehend. Yeonhee was too, however, she flashed her smile at me instantly. She was almost jumping from excitement. Again, I couldn’t put my finger on why she is excited. "Minwoo, this is my sis-"

Oh god. I am probably a sister of a killer.

Hold on.

Did I just say sister

"And this is Minwoo, Haneul."

I couldn't believe she actually winked at me. She was loud due to the deafening music. We can barely hear one another. "My boyfriend,"

I know, idiot.

I guess she was so happy and enthusiastic to introduce her hot boyfriend to me. She was smiling too much. And I think she thinks it is a news to me, she doesn't know that I discovered their relationship that day at the Choi's restaurant where I ended up listening to Mrs. Kim's conversation.

 I sighed as I fanned my face. It is hot and humid in here, but I declared. "I know who he is. This is not our first meeting, remember?"

And there is another thing I don't want to remember. The unpleasant encounter with Mrs. Kim who bad-mouthed my mom.

I nearly peed myself that day.

Can't my mom see that being here in Jeju is a big mistake? We don't know these people yet we force ourselves to be among them. Why?

WHY?

Yeonhee whispered something in his ears and both of them smiled. I glared at them, wondering for a moment. The two of them would make beautiful babies. Their genes would be perfect.

Poor Wonwoo.

He missed the chance, but I will help him out. He mustn't worry if I was with him.

As I stared at the couple before me, I observed that Yeonhee has an effect over Minwoo, just like any other guy, I guess. He was blushing.  I've seen it even though the lighting is dim.

I shook my head. Of course, he would.

And I am standing here, boyfriend-less.

That's not a word, I know.

I glared at him again, he looks as fine as his big brother. I wondered if he knows anything about the missing girl thing. I wonder if he dated her even though he knows. I wonder if he doesn't know and I also wondered about one other thing.

Maybe he was her partner in all of this. Why not. Right?

God, what am I thinking?

I looked at him and blinked. Another idea hit me. What if he knows that she used to be bullied?

I blinked a few more times as a more horrible idea stormed inside my head. What if she's still being bullied??

 

.

 

"So, Yeonhee?" I peeked at the towers next to me. Minwoo and Yeonhee. She nodded brightly with a grin. She was radiant despite the dim light. "Hmm?"

"Will you introduce me to your friends? I haven't seen any of them." I pretended to be looking around. I know I was annoying them by just standing next to them like a guardian. "Don't tell me I am embarrassing you?" I was just pretending. I was a good actress, which only works on our new killer Yeonhee. And I have to admit that I am enjoying being a pain in the .

What else would I have to entertain myself with, nothing.

I had this excessively big smile that I feel my cheeks gonna fall off any minute. I had to work my role very well. I needed to see her friends.

"No, no, no," She innocently shook her head as she waved her hands as well. "It's not like that. I was so happy when we walked together in the house,"

Liar, we didn't walk together. You ran to your tall frowning boyfriend.

She chuckled and bit her lips in excitement, but looked at Minwoo and then at me, like she didn't want him to hear her. "I didn't know this day would come so soon,"

Minwoo would kick me out of the country if he had the chance, I guess. He was giving me the looks already. Why I am always receiving these kind of looks?

It is my fate, yes. My ty fate to be surrounded by lovers.

I told Yeonhee I got bored. I did get bored. I walked away after waving at her like the loving sisters we are. She promised me she would introduce me to her besties, but I doubted that.

Nevertheless, even though I blend in with the people who were dancing, my head was still on the bullying matter. I've had so many thoughts. 1. I need to get me someone who can tell me anything.

There is no one but Wonwoo.

YYYYYYYEEEEEEES

Cross 'someone who can answer my questions' from the list. He grew up with her as far as I know. Of course, he would know everything. Plus, his strange offending words before we enter the party is an evidence. If he tried to refuse, I would bring his words to the table.

"She got enough already from those surrounding her. The last thing she needs is someone bullying her in her own house,"

Oh, . I should have questioned his words first. That is one great evidence that there is no rumors here. She got bullied or is still being bullied. It is a fact now.

That poor girl got bullied.

I can picture a 12-year-old Yeonhee getting beaten and she says nothing. I can picture her giving them gifts for their birthdays, even though they made her life miserable.

I know she is this kind of friend.

"Who is this?" I heard someone talking behind me. I turned my head to see who it was they're talking about and to my surprise it was me. They were looking at no one but me.

"She is hot,"

I wanted to laugh, like, really laugh. Cry from laughing.

"Hot? Are you blind?"

"What, it is true."

"I want to know who invited her, like right now."

I wasn't surprised that they didn't change the subject even though I was looking at them while talking about me. I rolled my eyes and turned to continue looking, but someone stood in the way.

It was Chanwoo. He was standing tall in a light blue shirt, his hair slid back and his face as confident as ever.

I blinked. I didn't expect to see him at all. Don't tell me the boy is here as well? I hope not, but my heart wanted a little peek at him.

My heart, calm your down.

"Oh, disappointed to see me, Miss Haneul?" He looked around to where my eyes travelled and then back to my face. "Were you looking for someone?"

I shook my head and shrugged. "No, I wasn't." God, he scared me. It was like he read my mind. I was trying to catch a glimpse of Baekhyun.

"Nice to see you," he smiled and his sharp eyes smiled with him. "Again,"

I am clearly trying to seem as normal as possible. "Well, thank you,"

His eyes went somewhere behind me, and his smile tightened. He looks amused but it's like he doesn't want to show it. He exhaled before shocking me. His eyes didn't meet mine as his lips formed the words. "You look stunning,"

I don't know what I am supposed to say but I faked a smile as I looked up at his face. God, he is so tall. I assumed he does this to girls. Of course, chaebol girls do a lot of job to appear good and they want to hear something like this. But for a girl like me, I can't just take it as a compliment.

I couldn't answer because I am overthinking like always. 

"I didn't expect to see you here,"

Me too, Chanwoo, me too. My eyes were now wandering around for the sight of the boy. I thought of 100 reasons why I should have stayed at home and didn't come along with the idiot. She could've gone alone or she could've stayed at home, just like I presumed her father wants.

Why I said yes, I wondered as my eyes were back on Chanwo's perfect face.

He chuckled as he bit the inside of his cheek. "You are looking for someone,"

Uh-uh. I got caught.

I immediately explained. "No, it's just-" but I am out of words. I really don't know what to say. "I was waiting for Yeonhee, she wants to introduce me to her friends,"

"I can do this. Want me to introduce you to everyone?"

Uh-uh.

And at that moment, before Chanwoo nearly wrapped his arms around me considering my silence as a yes, I got my eyes on Yeonhee walking toward us and patting his shoulder with a tight smile. "Oh, excuse me, I am going to borrow her for a minute,"

Vomit. Vomit. Vomit.

Borrow me?
Like I am a doll he owned?

However, all the thanks to stupid Yeonhee. She gets the credits this time. I would've hugged her. I bowed slightly with a victorious smile. "It's nice to see you," It would be nicer if he dragged his cousin with him. God, what I am saying. I am saying something and in the same sentence, I am contradicting myself.

I walked through the crowd, following Yeonhee. She stood tall among the other pretty girls. They were as rich as her, I guess, according to their clothes, attitude and faces. Yes, you can tell that someone's rich by their face. It lacks tiredness and crinkles. It's shiny and pretty. You can see the money effect so clear.

She smiled widely and again, she always surprises me with her reactions. They're always unexpected. "Guys, this is Haneul,"

I flashed a smile as Yeonhee started pointing at her friends and saying their names. I didn't know why but I blushed. I recognized one of the faces almost immediately. It was no other than Mr. Bae's daughter. The one he said 'just like me'. She was a real beauty that one.

Her name is Souji.

The other four I don't know. I didn't like the way they looked at me.

However, Souji was an exception. She greeted me nicely and remembered me from Chanwoo's party. I was surprised.

I sat and drank a little, still closely observing the girls and the way they treat Yeonhee, but everything was normal. My eyes always find their ways to Souji. She is too distracting for me as a girl. She spoke about a lot of things along with a girl with a red hair and bangs. Her name was Joohee. That girl seemed pretty normal than the others to me, in terms of accepting me. It is nothing special, she just didn't give much attention and she didn't really care.

"Now, let's all take a selfie."

I internally rolled my eyes. They probably have been waiting for this moment the moment they stepped inside the house.

Why? You might ask, because once the word selfie is said, everyone dropped whatever they're doing and they're were ready. Posture straight, a smile is fixed on their lips, and they looked good.

I guess I was the only one looking like crab amongst them. When I see the picture, I think I would find my eyes closed. Or half of my face would be showing.

Yeah, the last one is the most likely.

 

.

 

I got bored. I didn't know I would get bored so fast. But for real, nothing is fun in here. Some people are drunk, some people are making out in front of everyone which made me close to throwing up, some people were just talking.

No one is including me in any activity, which is expected.

Yeonhee is nowhere to be seen, which is also expected.

I eventually found myself jamming to a song as I slowly walked to the dance floor. I am gradually forgetting where I am, forgetting who I am, and why I was here.

I even forgot that I am the daughter of a newly married to a chaebol woman. Forgot Mrs. Kim's words and the harsh words I've heard since I've come to Jeju. Forget the looks, the mocking smiles I have seen through my life, the cruel reality.

I forget everything, and the smile is slowly increasing, widening.

Music does this to people, and that's why I usually compare music to the sea where I go to find peace.

I don't know the song, but I was suddenly too aware of the melody, lyrics, and the beat. It is like it touches me. Like the song has hands and fingers like we do and it touches me everywhere. Pats me in the head, and says 'Good job'. Encouragingly pats me on the back and tells me 'You're close'. Claps its unseen hands to me and shouts 'You can do this' and 'Keep holding it together'.

I smile.

I smile as my cheeks start hurting me.

It tells me what I want to hear. It's like my only companion. The companion that I couldn't have in my 18 years in this planet.

I am in a music video and the song is my life.

It is rare, but it is like fate.

Everything was crashed to pieces when someone pumped me from behind. I turned and the smile was swept off my face. There was a drunk guy who tried to dance with me, his body too close to my .

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, that's what I need right now to ruin my mood," His cheeks were pink and his eyes was nearly shut as he smiled.

I didn't believe that he actually held my hip like it is okay. Like I would approve and move along and continue dancing. I rolled my eyes again. "Get your hands off of me,"

"What did you say, I couldn't hear you," he brought his head closer to mine, still smiling. I could smell his foul smell and I almost threw up. His hand traveled up and shamelessly held my waist. His fingers were cold.

His other hand held another glass.

I blinked in irritation. "I told you to take your disgusting hand off me, or you will be a dead body,"

He looked at his friend, he was drunk too, and laughed. "this little thing is threating me,"

"How cute," his friend responded and I couldn't wait for something else to make me slap the two to sleep. I held his hand and pulled him to me as I hit him hard on the back. Since he was drunk, it was too easy to kick his . But he end up spilling his drink all over me.

"Nice,"

I heard someone laugh and I turned to the sound. It was Chanwoo. He was flashing me a smile that would strike me right in my heart. But there was something else. Something so distracting behind Chanwoo.

I couldn't mistake that head, that profile, those eyes. He wasn't looking at me, but I recognized him. How can I not recognize him?

He will not even look at me. He probably doesn't know I exist. He doesn't know I spent hours trying not to think about him. He doesn’t know that I am on fire because of knowing that he was here this whole time.

I didn't know why I am suddenly insecure about how I look or if my make-up was on point. My lipstick is probably a mess and needs a refreshment. My hair is in every direction and I am sweating too much

I forgot how to breathe when our eyes met transiently. He took his eyes immediately and indifferently, but it did a disaster to me. He was talking unconcernedly to a friend and he was looking so goddamn good in a casual white t-shirt and a pair of jeans. His hair looked so soft I want to touch it. His face, even though it was meters away from me, looked so fine.

He wasn't that handsome though, but I don't know what he does to me. To my little heart.

I didn’t realize that Chanwoo was talking to me. His eyes was on me. I didn't realize that the guy whose I just kicked has got up and wanting his revenge.

"Do you need help, Miss Haneul?" Chanwoo was having difficulties holding back his laughter. For some reason, he was amused at my situation.

I can tell. However, I wasn't quite sure if it's because the guy I just hit or the fact that I am a mess after discovering Baekhyun is here. But it worried me anyhow.

I blinked nervously and I my lips. They'd gone dry all of a sudden. "I am going to the bathroom,"

I looked down at my dress, it is ruined, just like my mood.

 

.

 

I went to the bathroom that I am too familiar with right now. I am hoping not to face that tall boy ing anther chick.

As I approach the door and before I get my hand on the knob, I heard giggles. It was too quite in here except for the muffled music. I can make out that there is two people inside.

I blinked as I let the conversation settle inside me. "Will Yeonhee ever going to make you feel like this?"

I listen to the too clear female voice. "No."

I blinked and blinked, trying to push the wrong ideas away. No, it must be something else, not what I have in mind.

I didn't know that I was shaking from anger at the possibility. I didn’t know that this would effect me and touch some sensitive string in me to the point that I opened the door, shoving anything that would stop me from what I am going to do right now to the wall.

But I still hope I am wrong.

I hoped, deep inside me, that I am wrong.

Once the door was almost ripped and I made an entrance, the couple pulled apart from whatever they were doing. Clearly, they were on top of one another, almost .

I blinked as I inhaled some air. I didn't know how I did find my voice as my eyes lay on Minwoo and the other familiar face.

I wished he was screwing someone else. I don't wish for Yeonhee's heart to be broken, but I seriously wished it was a girl I and Yeonhee didn't know.

It was no other than the red-headed. One of Yeonhee's closest friends. Joohee.

She was smiling, joking around with Yeonhee a few hours earlier when I was with them. How can she shamelessly do such thing? How?

How can she call herself a friend? How can Yeonhee still friend with such people?

"You little bastard," I exploded, walked toward Minwoo as I held him from his collar. "You little er,"

I didn't know from where this power came inside me. It just rushed through my spine and through my hands.

I pushed the guy to the floor and turned to Joohee, who seemed scared to see me. "How dare you,"

I am boiling.

I exhaled and growled. "Seriously? You out of all people?"

And I turned to the who tried to explain himself but I didn't let him. "And you chose to be an and cheat on Yeonhee with one of her friends?"

"Who the hell do you think you are-"

She doesn't even think she is doing something wrong.

I didn't expect Joohee to be so shameless. So lame. So mean.

Friends shouldn't be like this. Friends shouldn't be back-stabbers and then smile at you like nothing happened. If they loved one another, Minwoo should just break up with Yeonhee and be with Joohee. It is that simple.

But dating the girl and doing it behind her back is unacceptable.

I was speaking without thinking. I was too angry and I didn't know why. "I thought the two of you are friends,"

Joohee crossed her arms and was staring at me like nothing happened. I continued. "Why the hell are you doing this?"

I didn't know why I am at the edge of crying. "This is wrong,"

"Well, I can't help it if he couldn't stare at her face for one moment," She shrugged, her voice screamed confidence. It scares me. "Besides she is a and she has never had and never allowed anyone to do it,"

I don't know why Yeonhee's face keeps flashing before my eyes. I don't know why I keep rewinding the moments I had with her since we first met played in my head. I don't know why the girls gossips about Yeonhee's being bullied kept echoing in my head.

"She is too stupid to even notice anything," she chuckled and neither of Minwoo and I did anything. She declared as her eyes on mine with no interest at all, like she is internally cursing me for ruining her mood. "She ain't no fun,"

I froze.

She didn't see that whatever she is doing is wrong.

And here it came. The idea of Joohee doing this on purpose to hurt Yeonhee. It is a possibility, but it seems realistic and it fits the situation.

Without thinking, I approached Joohee and held her by the hair. She screamed once I touched her, but she doesn't know who Haneul is. Screaming till the world ends won't change my mind.

I am going to ruin this little pretty face she has, and I will make her regret being born. "LET ME GO, ,"

She tossed around under my grip, but she would soon know that there is no escape from Yoon Haneul.

"Girl, if you're messing with Yeonhee you're messing with me,"

 

.

 

I did it with no regrets. I left her crying on the floor and cursing me. I left the bathroom for the two of them to share their agony.

I was smiling as I closed the door behind me, but I was stopped at the sight of frozen Yeonhee. No smile on her face. No her usual brightness. Nothing.

Expressionless Yeonhee was something I didn't want to see so soon.

I really don't.

She knows. She saw it all. She knew that she was betrayed by a close friend.

She was as stiff as I have never seen her.

She was breathing hard, and he eyes were watery. She spoke in gestures but no words got out of .

Oh. No.

I walked to her and dragged her by the arm away from the bathroom and away from that hall. She began whimpering. She started shaking and I heard her silent tears. Her silent sobs. A low, barely audible cry.

I have never wished to see Yeonhee in such a position.

My heart squeezes, hard.

I don’t want to witness this. Why I am going through this, like now? Whhhhhhhhhhhhhy.

"Shut up, don't cry, don't you ing cry for that little bastard," I kept dragging her to god knows where, but I need to talk to her. I need to instruct this poor little thing about life privately.

I think it is time to make her a grown-up woman. However, she kept sobbing and trying to hold back her tears, which makes it more heart breaking. When I am finally out, when Yeonhee and I are finally alone, I am suddenly shouting at her. "You are not going to move one step, okay? I am going back in a minute,"

 

.

 

I went back inside in search for my purse. I need to call Wonwoo now. We need to go.

I squeezed in between the crowd to where I last put my purse but I didn't find it.

Now, I just need a phone. I don't know Wonwoo's number but I would call my mom and she would send him to take us.

I tried to ask some people around me for their phones, but no one is cooperating.

"Excuse me, can I have your phone?" it was the fourth person I asked, but when he turned to look at me, it was the guy in the bathroom. Mingyu. The one who was on top of a girl, and the one who held my ankle.

"Did you just say something about a phone?"

"Ew,"

I frowned and looked away immediately. "What, saw a ghost or something?" he was smiling and his canine were showing.

"Forget it," I lost interest in calling anyone in the first place. I walked out and to where I dragged Yeonhee. Thankfully, she was still there, sitting hopelessly, her back leaned to the hard walls.

She was still crying. "Look at me," She wasn't looking at me and she was putting the back of her hand on to muffle her cries, as if she doesn't want to be heard. Her eyebrows were knotted and her forehead was creased.

No, I don't want to see her like this.

I want the old Yeonhee. The idiot who always smiles, Yeonhee. Not this Yeonhee.

This version of Yeonhee is not my favorite version.

"I said look at me," I held her chin and forced her to look at me in the eyes. Her eyes were almost closed, and she looks tired.

She looks sad.

Disappointed.

Deceived.

Something I am too familiar with.

She kept an eye-contact and said nothing. She was crying and trying to hide it. It hurts to see her like this. "You're not going to cry over him, okay?"

 I pointed a finger before her eyes.

"He doesn't deserve you, Yeonhee, do you hear me?" I held her shoulders as I slightly shook them. "You are, what?" She nodded but still crying. "Not going to shed one tear for that guy." She nodded, but it seems like my words made her cry even more.

"You are going to meet a better guy who loves you and respects you. A guy who loves you for who you are, a guy who deserves you."

She bit her lips and looked down, frowning. Her mascara is a mess. I inhaled some air to prevent me joining her.

I added. I said it because I think it will make her smile. "A guy who you will have his babies."

She did.

"Promise me," She didn't respond. I shook her shoulders once again. "Come on, promise me,"  She looked at me for a moment before uttering a 'promise'. It was too low.

"Louder, I can't hear you."

It was like heavens just smiled at me. Yeonhee's lips had a hint of a smile. "I promise."

"Good. Now, the two of us will go in there, pretend like nothing happened and we will get you another boy. A boy that will make Minwoo cry in regret, and you will be the one who dumped Minwoo,"

She blinked innocently at me, like she didn’t understand.

"Why?" I asked, wanting her to guess the reason we're going to do what we're going to do. "Because he ain't no fun, right? and you don't like boring guys."

She nodded, but said nothing. I shrugged. "He's hot, yes, but what's the point of being hot, huh?"

I stood and clapped my hands together. "You didn't cry, okay?"

I narrowed my eyes at her face. "But we do need to refresh this make up, it is a mess already and we can't get you someone with that face,"

 

.

 

I re-did her make-up and she looks hotter this way. Lips, eye-liner, extra mascara.

"Oh yeah," I smiled proudly at my work. "Now, we go,"

Her eyes were still puffy, but at least she was smiling. 

 


AN: Oohhh~

What did just happen? I uploaded a chpater with a word count of +5000? 

I am proud that I had finally reach this point. 

Haneul kicked some asses today, and to our surprise, it was for Yeonhee's sake. 

So, what do you think of this new chapter?

You didn't expect such a thing, right? 

A collaboration of Haneul and Yeonhee? 

I am so excited to do the next chapters, I want to know what do you guys think will happen next!

And also I want you to tell me what do you think of Hanuel's character. 

She seemed to be hating Yeonhee at first, but now she is helping her. What are your thought about the whole thing?