015

Reach For The Sky

UPDATED: 160216


 

25 June 2014

 

I am not sure I heard him right.

"What did you just say?"

He had a shadow of a smile that has soon turned into a huge grin. "I said, let's go out,"

Well, I am so sorry that I didn't expect Mingyu, the chaebol kid with extra height, to ask me out all of the sudden. It has to be a joke of some kind. The player, the one who toys with girls all the time from as far as I've seen, wants to go out with me.

Why?

He scratched his head. "You're not deaf, are you?"

I am, from just this moment.

"Did you just say let's date?" I narrowed my eyes, and for some reason, I do have this urge to squeeze his face with both of my hands. "You," I pointed at him, and then pressed my finger against my chest. "and me?" I let out an exaggerated laugh, which didn't fail at making me sound like a wicked witch.

I guess I was thinking more than I should. The boy doesn't look like he gave this thing further thoughts as I do.

It occurred to him and he just said it.

Well, he is a boy I always see with a different girl, every time we meet.

He is this kind of person who is never satisfied, I guess. I might be wrong, but I am sure I am just like those girls he dated before. He intends to date me for a few days to get his share of fun, revenge of previous girls and me, and then he will get bored. I am sure he will leave me a lot sooner than he usually does.

"Why not?"

That 'why not' killed me right in my heart. He said it like 'dating' is the easiest thing to do ever. Like it doesn't require you to put your heart in this relationship in order to work. He said it like engaging in a relationship with someone else is not that big of a deal, and can be done easily.

To me, it is.

I guess I unconsciously ingested these thoughts due to my parents' situation, and I have always wanted stable relationship that lasts forever and not even death can separates us.

I was laughing in disbelief, still taking the situation in my head, waiting for him to say 'never mind'. I mean, I just met the guy and I don't even like him, not even a bit.  He looked strangely at me and his lips. "What, do you have a boyfriend, or something?" I knew he would ask such a question.

His voice tone indicated boredom. I turned to him and considered saying yes. I think yes will end the misery. "Yes,"

And the most unexpected thing, yet kind of expected thing happened. He swiftly snatched my phone and I almost jumped on him. I didn't expect him to be so manner-less and invade the basic personal space.

"HEY,"

I tried to take my phone back, but he put a hand on my face to distant me from him while he went through my contacts. Can you believe that I was trying to take his hand off my face and take my phone back?

I mean, how rude and senseless can this boy get.  

He looked at me with a sorry face. "How boring," He started reading my contacts out-loud and then he knotted his eyebrows in artificial disappointment. "Oh, what a shame. Only 2 numbers." He shrugged and made a sad face. "Mom and home."

I finally took a grab over my phone, and sat still in the passenger seat, boiling.

"You're mad 'cause I uncovered your poorly made lie?" he crossed his arms, and looked at me like I am pathetic. I think I am pathetic now, thanks to him.

"Do that again, and I will cut your hands off." I warned him and I opened the door, ready to get off the car. He held my arm, so off guards. I looked at his arms, and burning them with the invisible laser I only can see.

"You might reconsider that option, since I doubt you will sustain those giant cameras flashes."

He started the engine and flew in the streets, not waiting for my answer.

We shared the silence.

He was right.

I don't want to be the center of their attention like an empty headed celebrity.

I briefly experienced the scariest moment of my entire life.

"Who do they think they are to take pictures of me without permission?" I vocalized my thoughts without realizing.

Seriously, what is it? I wondered for a minute and I didn't realize the big grin on Mingyu's face.

"You're famous," he said, his long arm resting on the driving wheel, focusing on the road.

"Famous?" I scoffed, looking to the side. "How I have no knowledge of this fact?"

I shrugged as the idea amused me more than I thought, imagining me as a famous person with shiny smile and glamorous eyes was too funny for my liking. "I mean, where?"

"If you haven't realized that yet, there were paparazzi snapping pictures of you." He pointed at the back with his thump, as if they were still there.

"Well, something was obviously wrong there." I suggested right away. "They're drunk or blind, or have some free time to waste it doing nothing significant."

"What a coincidence that a group of six or ten people were drunk or blind at the same time."

"You never know."

He chuckled, and I realized his pace was slow, even though his car was designed to be faster than a cheetah and the streets weren't crowded with cars.

After a silence that lasted a few minutes, he started with a clear note. "I've been following you on Instagram, and as I can see, the number is increasing,"

My jaw dropped. This is so funny. "You're following me?" I cocked my head in confusion. "Are you ing kidding me right now?" He seemed the least annoyed that I just cursed at him, and as if he was expecting such a behavior, that's why I sometimes hate him.

"For what?" I threw my hand in the air in questioning. He smiled and shrugged. "It's like you're telling me that people follow people on Instagram because they have a purpose or something."

I sighed. I am getting his point. "Yeah, I know, but why me? Why would you follow me?"

"Do I need a reason to do so?"

"Seriously, what is wrong with the world?" He chuckled again, like it's the only thing he knows how to do, other than annoying me.

"I mean, I don't post much, that's what I know." I blinked. "And there is nothing to see,"

He narrowed his eyes and shrugged again. "There must be something somewhere."

I sat there wondering silently and blinking excessively in search of a reason of why he is following and why is my followers' number jumped from 2000 to 170k. I just checked and the amount of likes and comments is scaring me.

"What the ?"

His amused voice reached my ears. "What?"

I shook my head. "It's like you said, there are thousands of people following me and it's terrifying." I continued. "It's not like I post my and s all the time and they're liking what they see."

"I do like what I saw."

I rolled my eyes and held my temples for a minute. So much going on and I am not able to get it all in. My head, I doubt, has enough capacity for such a thing. "Oh my god,"

I blinked in shock. "This is unbelievable."

For what possible reason this all happened, I wondered but I didn't find an acceptable answer, not even one. I am not talented. I am not that all smart. I am poor and work my extra hours so I can buy good-looking clothes.

"Oh god."

It must be it.

How I didn't think about it?

There is no other reason but this one.

I let out a breath, since I've been holding it once the horrifying thought occupied my head. "Someone must've uploaded a video of me fight that red-headed !" I clapped my hands together and bit my lips. "This must be it, goddamn."

I slapped my thigh. "Mom knew and that's why she called me constantly,"

"Look, the thing is" I turned to look at his face while his focus was on the road. "You became famous once your mom married that old man. End of the story."

Did he just say what I think he said? Did he just say that mom made us famous? Or let me be specific, merging the two families has made us famous?

He simply explained. "People saw you in Yeonhee's Instagram, the adored daughter of Mr. Kim, and they basically liked you."

He raised a hand. "The comments are insane. All they talk about is how fashionable and chic. The paparazzi started to recognize you and that's what just happened." I noted that he uses his hands a lot while speaking. His hands were giant-like, matching his height.  

He detected my annoyance, and I am sure he smiled because of that. "And that's why I picked you out of all the girls."

I realized he's referring to choosing me as someone he wants to date. "Because I am famous?"

"No," He shook his head, and parked before the Kim Manor's main gate.

I blinked. Did I tell him where I was living? No.

How did he know?

"Do you want me to open the door for you?" he waved a hand. "I am sorry, I don't do these things, so don't put your hopes up. I wouldn't do it for you when we date,"

Oh stupid Haneul. He probably knows Mr. Kim, and of course he would know the address. I was being paranoid as always.

I scoffed and mimicked the way he spoke, in a husky voice. "Don't put your hopes up."

"I don't speak like that," He narrowed his eyes as I got out of the car, slamming the door with my entire strength.

I continued imitating him and I don't know why it felt comforting. "I wouldn't do it for you when we date."

He laughed. "And that's another point why I picked you, you are not boring."

I straightened up. I am not trying to make him laugh. I am trying to annoy him. But it is not working. I looked at him with an emotionless face through the slightly opened window. Once I opened my mouth, he cut me off with a smug face. "Save your thanks for later."

One thing I know about him. This kid's confidence is unlimited.

"Who said I am going to thank you?"

"Then what you were gonna say?"

I was going to thank him, actually. If it wasn't for him, I would've killed myself. "I was gonna say no, we can't go out, like, never."

He pretended to be hurt, but I was able to detect an amused smile. "Why? You haven't even think about it. I am a patient person."

I confessed, and that was the honest thing I've told him so far. "I won't stay here for long, you know?" I shrugged. "So what's the point? Dating for two days? So no."

"What do you mean you won't stay here for long?"

I realize the two of us are strangers and I don't need to explain things to him. "It's actually none of your business. Goodbye."

I got inside the house leaving him behind.

 

.

 

Mom lectured me but said nothing about the fight.

So Mingyu was right.

There was no video recorded of me kicking Joohee's .

 

.

 

Yeonhee came to ask me about two dresses and what she should wear since she was not sure which one was better. I saw the shock in her eyes.

I was already dressed up and doing my hair.

"You're going?"

I thought nodding would be so embarrassing so I said nothing. I just froze.

Yes I was ready for Mrs. Byun's birthday party.

Yes I was ready before Yeonhee herself.

Yes I was ready and mom hasn't even told me and begged me to come.

Yes I was going even though no one asked me, where usually someone has to drag me with him.

But it is embarrassing for some reason.

I know I am blushing.

I didn't know why Yeonhee's shocked face brought a memory of Baekhyun's words yesterday. The mere memory that I spent a few minutes with Baekhyun was enough to make my face red.

She wouldn't say anything mean, I know, but I just wanted to disappear.

"I thought you wouldn't come, but" she smiled from ear to ear. "I am happy you're coming, honestly!"

I stood from the nervousness that came all over me. Yeonhee was polite to not ask how I knew about this party.

I didn't know what to say. I was so nervous; I thought once I open my mouth I would say something stupid and end up exposing myself by mentioning Baekhyun with no reasonable reason.

Thankfully, she spoke as she walked into the room, approaching me. "Which one is better?"

 I was still standing as I looked between the two expensive one-pieces. They all look beautiful and I can visualize Yeonhee looking stunning in both of them. The first one was a black lace-knit valentino dress, and the other one was a full-skirted channel dress. I told her she would look better in the black one.

She was so happy about my little preference. It always makes me blush.

Before she leaves, I was blinking way too much and gathering my courage to say this one thing. "H-How is my dress?"

I couldn't believe I got it out of my mouth, yet I couldn't believe I actually said that. I mean, what would she think of me now. She would know that I came just because Baekhyun asked me to.

My secret is exposed, goddamn it.

"You look gorgeous!" Yeonhee exclaimed with excessive excitement.

I said to make up what I said. "I mean, does it fit the occasion or is it, like, too much? I don't want to be over- or underdressed, you know. I hate that."

She nodded repeatedly. "I know I know."

I let out a breath I was holding and admitted. "I mean, be honest with me, do I look like a ?"

Yeonhee was shocked at the word. "Ahm,"

I looked right in her eyes. "The truth?"

With hesitation, she said. "You do look like a ," She shrugged right away and rolled her eyes. "But who doesn't anyway? At least you look good."

I blinked in astonishment and then threw my head in hysteric laughter. I didn't expect that whatsoever.

 

.

 

Mom got forever to be ready. I wasn't sure if it's because she was taking more time doing make up and stuff, or it's because this is the first time I come voluntarily to this party without being asked to come.

I was the first to finish and I was sitting in the living room, waiting for the whole family to gather.

I heard distant heel knocks on the floor, which means mom has finally left her room.

I walked before them all to the car since I need no more embarrassing comments. I would get plenty in the car, anyway.

Mr. Kim excused the driver since he is going to drive us.

I thought the party would be at their house, but rich people never use these spaces in their house since their only hobby appears to be wasting money here and there.

Can you imagine having such a spacious area where you can invite the whole Korean citezens and there would be still some place for more, but still, you decide on paying some hotel to do the party in their restaurant?

I will never understand rich people. Never.

In the middle of the road to the hotel, mom looked at me. "Oh right, I wondered who told you about this party, Haneul. I know I didn't."

I blinked nervously and the lie was ready. "Yeonhee."

Yeonhee was now looking at me with surprise in her eyes, but I didn't even look back.

"Good." Mom smiled. That smile is due to her thinking that we are close now, Yeonhee and I. She turned to Mr. Kim. "It's been a while since I have seen her this excited."

I snapped. "I am not."

Mr. Kim responded. "Okay, it's okay. You're not excited, that's cool."

A few minutes of complete silence except for the radio passed. I realized then that Yeonhee is stealing glances at me. I mouthed her. "What?"

My face said 'do not dare ask me about anything'.

Yeonhee got the message and shrugged. "Nothing,"


AN: Stay tuned to the party. 
So many things will take place! 
Some will uncover the dark sides of both of our main characters
Reminder: You know that you don't have to be sorry for writing a long comment.
They are always welcome and always my favorite! 
Remember that I read every and each comment down there.