012

Reach For The Sky

012

24 June 2014

5:02am

It is too early in the morning. The sun hasn't risen yet. I woke up and I blinked in the darkness. The scent is kind of familiar, yet not so familiar.

However, I know that I am not in my room. Oh, correction; my temporary room.

I wondered for a moment if I am in a guy's bed, whose name I don't know. My memory is not working and it needs time to regain its ability. Mom would kill me when she checks up on me in the morning and finds my room empty.

I got up almost immediately, ready to leave the place and run to the Kim Manor.

But, I realized, as I look around, that I am in the Kim Manor.

Ahm, I was sleeping in the same bed as Yeonhee.

I slapped my forehead. I ing slept in Yeonhee's room for real, specifically in her bed.

I would prefer the first option, to be sleeping in a guy's bed other and getting my kicked by my mom than waking up in that girl's room.

Mom now won't leave me alone anymore. She would throw unnecessary teasing comments here and there.

Oh, .

I remember it all now.

Believe or not but we spent the whole night talking, Yeonhee and I. We did that in our way to our rooms, but then we couldn't just cut it and go to sleep. I went to her room, and I did sleep there.

We took off our make-up together in her bathroom.

It is my first time doing this, like with someone else.

Ironic.

My face was hot for unknown reasons.

Yeah, I was embarrassed.

As I got up, I looked down on my clothes.

Thankfully, I was wearing my pajamas. I didn't know why I thought that I would be wearing something of hers.

I walked out of her room as quietly as possible. The last thing I want now is to get caught. Yes, being caught red-handed, as I am getting out of Yeonhee's room which's like admitting to everyone else that we're okay.

We are okay, really, but I do not want anyone doing and saying anything to embarrass me. I know my mom would like to take such a chance.

I looked to my right and left. The door of my mom's and Mr. Kim's room is closed.

Thank god.

Thank god.

Thank god.

Thank god.

They're still sleep.

 

.

 

5:10 am

I tiptoed to my room, opened the door carefully, and finally, I am inside my room. It feels weird to be sleeping the night somewhere else other than here.

I didn't expect it to happen. Like, so soon. Something that indicates the manifesting of a good relationship between me and someone. That someone is Yeonhee. And I still don't know whether it is good or not. I still think about it more than I should though.

I smiled as a memory of yesterday flashed in my head.

I had fun last night. I hadn’t done this for so long.

I plugged my phone in the charge, changed into a pair of new socks and new shorts.

I glanced at the only unfamiliar thing in my temporary room.

Baekhyun's leather jacket.

"Ah, why my face is so hot," I fanned myself as I walked to the bathroom.

I went to the sea afterwards. I needed it because I want to clear up my mind.

 

.

 

6:24 am

It was silent when I entered the house. The deafening kind of silence I am not familiar with since I came to Mr. Kim manor. I thought the servants would be up and all over the living room or the garden, preparing the breakfast or cleaning unnecessary things, but there was none.

My hair was wet and my clothes were wet as well. I only brought a towel with me to the shore. I put it over my head to dry my hair with it.

I walked briskly to the kitchen for a glass of water. My mouth was dry and I was sure it was due my nonstop chattering late last night. I only had a few hours of sleep but I guess they were more than enough after what happened yesterday. I mean, I haven't slept like this for a while.  I haven't spoken to someone like this since awhile.

Once I gulped the water, the cold and nice water, someone spoke at the door, which almost made me pee myself. "A girl night, was it?"

I blinked at the sight of Wonwoo. I didn't expect him to be up, and I didn't expect him to be inside the house, walking here and there so freely. He was only wearing a t-shirt and a worn out jeans. He's always underdressed in this rich society which makes him approachable, especially to me. "God, would you please knock the door or something? I almost dropped the glass,"

And it's going to be a déjà vu if that happened. He will come and foolishly collect the glass and I will get hurt instead. I didn't know why I looked at my wounded hand and I remembered Baekhyun.

Oh, I know why, because I am the queen of the idiot island.

I almost smiled but I caught myself halfway.

He entered the kitchen and got something out of the fridge. I couldn’t see his face, but I can imagine a mockery smile and his half-opened eyes looking back at me in a mirroring mockery. He teased again. "So, how was your night, Miss Haneul?"

I hate how he speaks formally with me, but his actions and gestures scream of lack of respect. Screams offense. Screams 'I hate you and I want you out of the house'. What is the point if his actions wouldn't match his way of speaking?

Miss Haneul, my . He doesn't call Yeonhee Miss Yeonhee. He just call her with her bare name. I guess we are the same age. However, he insists on calling me Miss Haneul.

I rolled my eyes. "I've told you before, don't call me that."

"Call you what, Miss Haneul?"

I would smack his head if I wasn't an outsider in this house. "I am not a person you can call that."

"You are," He pursed his lips in a thin line, and repeated his unanswered question. "So, you didn't answer me, how was your night with Yeonhee?"

I managed not to roll my eyes again. It is clear that we had fun and we were nearly inseparable. He saw that when he picked us up last night. I saw his eyes through the mirror. He saw how we didn't couldn't shut up even when we were on our way back home.

I know his point is to embarrass me.

We were almost fighting the few past days, and now, we're sleeping in one another room. Like the loving sisters we're supposed to be.

I pulled down my eyebrows and sighed in irritation. I guess he wants that one word. The confession word.  That one word that I should be telling to Yeonhee, but he, himself, wants to hear.

I must confess, I didn’t think we would get along.

I haven't thought for once that I would actually help her, like want and have this strong urge to do so.

I couldn't help seeing her cry.

  1. I beat Minwoo's , and I know he hates me and wants me dead at the moment.
  2. I slapped Joohee even though we just met.
  3. I did a lot of unbelievable things.
  4. Oh, and I had a big fight, earning everyone's attention, which is something that can be easily avoided.

I did everything I did for her.

I don't want to confess that, but I don't want to see her cry anymore. I thought I knew her, but I know I don't. I thought I knew everything about her, but I know that I know nothing at all.

I have never expected her to have such surroundings. Filthy, wicked, full of hate and jealousy and they're just scary. They are fake, have too many faces, and I just get the chills thinking about what I am still ignorant about.

"Speaking of which," I didn't answer his question and I will never do. I stepped closer to him and I realized how pale he is from up-close. "You've got a lot of things to tell me," I stretched out my fingers, one at a time, as I counted. "How Yeonhee was in the past, what kind of people are her friends, the missing girl-"

His eyes widened. "You knew too much already," he blinked and cocked his head to the side in disbelief, and took his time to consider it in his head. "I don't believe she told you that. Even if the two of you got really close, she will never-"

Again, change of a sensitive subject. I rolled my eyes. "Well, she told me nothing at all. Obviously."

He scoffed. "Obviously?"

I frowned. "Yeah?"

He raised his eyebrows, like he's done with his life. "Like you predicted that? Like you know her too much, to the extent that you know she won't tell you such a thing?"

This little pale low-voiced boy hates my guts. He almost bit me. I wiped away the little saliva that flew out of his mouth. "Chill, boy,"

"I am not a boy,"

I sighed. "Whatever." I checked if there's anyone outside the kitchen that could hear us. I blinked nervously. Trying to hold a secret like this one is hard for me. "I am going to tell you something, even though I know it is not mine to expose-"

Wonwoo gave me a look I didn't like as he crossed his arms, waiting for what I am about to tell him. I bit my lips as I slowly broke the news. "I know you like Yeonhee and all, but-"

He spoke instantly as I was still completing my sentence.

"-she had a boyfriend named Minwoo-"

"DO NOT MAKE UP THINGS FROM YOUR ED UP HEAD,"

Both of us paused, and again, we spoke at the same time.

"first of all, my head is not ed and I don't make things up. You do like her,"

"-Wait, had?"

I was annoyed that he just called the most precious organ in me 'ed up' and I was offended when he said I make things up.

I don't.

I held my temples and covered my eyes. "Something happened last night," I looked at him and titled my head. He tensed his jaw. "Something big," His face changed when he saw my serious expression. "Big?"

I nodded. I was thinking of so many ways to say it in a way that will reveal less information about what actually happened.

How can I say that Yeonhee broke up with her boyfriend, so you can have her now, but without mentioning the fact that she played with other two boys when she got drunk, and that she got drunk because of her ex and her friend, and not forgetting to exclude that I beat the two spoiled son and daughter of some rich family?

"What is it?" he stepped forward. "Spit it out,"

"Oh, Haneul, you're up early." Mom made an entrance ruining the moment that I thought won't come forever, smiling from an ear to ear as she saw the two of us conversing "I thought I'd find asleep since you came late last night."

She had a hint of face in her make-up.

Too much make-up for just a morning. I wanted to tell her that, and I also wanted to ask her to knock the door the next time she storms in. No one seemed to be aware of how important knocking the door is.

I greeted her with a tired face, but Wonwoo bowed and was so polite that I was shocked how someone can change in seconds. Then I remembered our first encounter. Wonwoo was like that when I first saw him.

Mom winked at me. "Making friends with Wonwoo too? I will confess. I am impressed by your progression, Haneul." She sipped from a bottle of water she just got out of the fridge.

I wanted to skip today if it's going to be about last night and how Yeonhee and I spent our time there. And then I wanted to laugh until the whole house is awake when I imagined my mom's face if she discovered that I got into a fight last night.

That smile on her face would disappear, and I would like to see that very, very much. But I have to keep it a secret, since it's not mine alone to expose.

I realize that mom was also dressed up; it wasn't just the make-up that was over-done. Wonwoo excused himself but before leaving, he whispered in my ear. "You're going to tell me everything,"

I saw him walk out and mom spoke right away. "So, you started to like it here, huh?"

I knew she would say that. I knew it. Before my mouth open to say something back, I glimpsed through the kitchen's window at the servants in the outer garden. That's why I didn’t see them when I came from the back door.

So they were up, but they were outside. Mom was reading my mind. "They're preparing the breakfast set,"

I looked at her with frowned eyebrows and she explained before I even asked. "We have the Byuns coming for breakfast,"

Oh, no.

"What??"

Mom blinked. "You heard me. They will be here in half an hour,"

Oh, god.

I look like .

How can I meet them in this art of complete ugliness?

What can I do in these 30 minutes with this mess? I need more time to work on this disaster. This news was so unexpected.

I must not panic, right?

There is no need to, right?

I must not panic.

I must not panic.

I must not panic.

It's not like he is my boyfriend or something.

Oh, god. What did I just say? Did I just suggest something? Like, between me and Baekhyun, the guy I know nothing about but his name and the fact that he lives next door and that he is gorgeous and I want to cry- "WHY?"

I am panicking.

I almost pierced my mom's eardrums. I did, I think.

"Can you be a little louder?" Mom put one hand over her ear and frowned at me. "Why what?"

Mom is so stupid. She doesn’t see the obvious.

"Why did you invite them?"

I didn't believe I just asked my mom this question. She blinked and she seemed to be expecting such a question out of my mouth. She sighed. "Honey, I have a big house now, why not invite all people I know and brag about it every day?"

Typical mom.

"Besides, do not say such thing in here. It is rude." She looked over her shoulder in case someone was listening. "You have to always be welcoming, nice, polite, well-spoken, like Yeonhee."

"Ugggh," I rolled my eyes and left the kitchen heading to my room in order to search for a solution to this mess.

 

.

 

6:55 am

They're probably here.

I am still looking through my bag in search for a proper outfit to wear. I want to be normal, but not the usual normal. I want to look good, but not in an obvious way. I hate confessing this, and I know it would make me look like I like the guy, even though I don't.

Oh, god what the hell I am talking about.

Mom knocked on my door. She knew how to knock; I am impressed.

Another wave of panic.

I suddenly jumped over my bed and pretended to be asleep. That's the first thought that came to my head. So I won't uncover myself to my mom. I don't want my mom to find out that I am trying to look good in front of a guy. Something that only happens once in a century.

"Oh, for god's sake, Haneul." Mom stormed into my room to open the curtains. "Wake up, they're here,"

I know mom, I know.

She sighed and murmured to herself. "She went to sleep even though I told her myself to get ready,"

Wait. What?

They are here?

Already?!

Like, for real?

Oh, I forget there's only one wall that separate our houses.

"What a mess," Mom was complaining as she tried to move in my room while they were clothes everywhere in the floor. The mess I just created while trying to pick something to wear and look good, or at least acceptable for Byun Baekhyun.

Oh no, I admitted it.

"Hey," She tapped my shoulder but with extra strength. "Wake up, honey," Again, honey was forced. "Why would you go and sleep when I clearly told you they will be here so soon?" her pleading voice showed me how badly she wants to brag about me. She doesn't want me to stay in my room. She wants me in that breakfast table so bad.

Little she knows.

She would die of happiness if she knew that the moment I knew the Byuns were coming, I was in my room trying to search for something good to wear, and I even was trying some new hairstyles that would make me look cute. She would also die from shock. She would think her daughter has eaten something expired.

My eyes were closed and I slowly started opening them, like I was sleeping and mom was annoying me. "Ahm? What, mom?"

"They're here, and you were sleeping?"

I don't know what to say. Mom should be at least smart enough to see that what I was wearing, but thankfully, she was distracted with something else. I was wearing a short white dress she gave me in my 17th birthday. Something I don't wear very often.

I sat up and pretended to be rub my eyes.

"I will see you next to me in five minutes," She raised a threatening finger before my eyes. "If you didn't come, you know what will happen, right?"

I wanted to tell her you can't force me to go downstairs, since I will come whether you threatened me or not.

Once she exited the room, I was in my foot, and I stripped from the dress I was wearing.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah,"

I can't think of anything.

My mind was a mess.

 

.

 

7:11 am

I can see the shock in my mom's face and Mr. Kim's too as I got down. Yeonhee was late just like I was, and she was walking just in front of me. I was happy she was doing so, so I can hide behind her and be invisible forever.

We stood next to one another when we reached the table.

Yeonhee just woke up, but her hair was flawless, even her blue dress. She didn't look like she overdid her make-up or hair or anything, which is the opposite of someone else.

I decided to wear anything and gave up on my other choices of outfits, which were better and more proper, so I won't look like I overdid anything. I end up looking like a homeless teenage girl with a dyed hair.

I wore a pair of jeans and a star wars black t-shirt.

I know I look disgusting compared to Yeonhee, and mom wants to kill me now. I didn't even brush my hair after getting out of the sea water.

I internally rolled my eyes.

What if I looked like I overdid my make-up and outfit? At least, I would look good, better than this.

My head is always as hard as a stone.

I don't want to think about it. I will just sit, eat, not do anything stupid, not look or talk to anyone, and then leave peacefully. Yes, what a perfect plan.

I am sometimes stupid, but smart most of the times.

Yeonhee greeted her father and my mom with a hug, while I did nothing at all. I saw mom this morning and Mr. Kim doesn't expect such a thing from me, so.

Yeonhee sat next to my mom. I was left to sit next to her, which is right in front of Chanwoo. I realized then, Baekhyun wasn't here. It was ironic how I sighed both in disappointment but also in relief. Mixed feelings I am not familiar with yet. It is good that he is not around so I can be myself, but I secretly want him here.

I am the queen of contradictions. I know that.

"Hey, princess, how are you?" Chanwoo asked Yeonhee with a side-smile. He seemed to have this sweet-honey tongue for everyone. It kind of comforted me, actually.

"Never been better," Yeonhee nodded and didn't look the least annoyed from him, which was just the exact opposite of me.

He is too polite for a normal person in the very morning. But what can we expect from Chanwoo except this. Before asking me the same question, he gave me the same look I hate. As if he knows a secret you don’t know kind of look.

I also realized that our folks didn't even touch their plates. I thought the both of us were late enough to make the other guests boiling from waiting. But we weren't. It's like nothing was even served to them.

God, mom made me think whatever I did was so big.

"Ah, here they are." I saw Mrs. Byun cried with a smile and all people around the table turned to where she was pointing. I blinked at the sight of the two people I didn't expect to be here.

It was Mrs. Kim and Baekhyun.

 

.

 

Yeonhee stood out of politeness to make a space for the older to sit. She doesn't know that Mrs. Kim is an and hates my mother and they shouldn't be sitting next to each other.

Mrs. Kim greeted me with a hug, but it is different from the way I felt that day. She recognized me and threw some jokes I couldn't laugh about. I couldn't even fake a smile.

She was freaking me out.

How can she smile and talk so normally with us like that?

How can she sit between us like a friend while she is not?

I didn't notice that my breathing was fast and my heart was beating so fast.

Anxious, angry, and restless.

This was how I felt at the moment.

We sat, and I blinked at Baekhyun who's now sitting in front of me after we changed the seats.

How can I eat now, after having Mrs. Kim with us, and Baekhyun sitting less than meter away from me?

 

.

 

The food was served, and I couldn't help but overhear the little conversation between Baekhyun and his father. "You're late,"

"I am sorry,"

His father was mad and I didn't know why would he be so. Like, he only got here in time as Mrs. Kim made an entrance. He can't be mad at my eye-candy for the morning.

Oh, .

What am I talking about?

As we ate, the folks were conversing about idiotic things, like the politics and their uncounted belongings. Yeonhee was sharing some things from here and there.

I was silent.

As silent as the plates and table.

I couldn't eat anything, obviously. I was trying not to look like a gorilla the whole time while eating but failed, so I was eating nothing at all.

Maybe having Baekhyun as a company at the breakfast is a bad idea because he was distracting me.

"We didn't expect to see Haneul yesterday," Chanwoo started, looking straight at me. I almost choked with air, as I became the center of attention all of a sudden. Mom chuckled when Chanwoo complimented her, saying that I was as beautiful as she was. His uncle agreed and I had a disgusted smile.

Mom was like, thank you, thank you. She's even blushing. I know she was enjoying it. 

Chanwoo looked at Baekhyun and attacked him with the question. "You agree too, right?"

It was so fast and so sudden and I couldn't help but really choke.

I want to disappear now.

It was a ing breakfast where people should only eat and ing shut up. Why this tall guy has a big mouth? He should stay as calm and quite as his cousin.

He hadn't spoken since he came in.

I'm breathing extra hard and I took Yeonhee's water and gulped it all in.

Everyone knew by now, I supposed. That I am having this big crush on the silent guy sitting in front of me.

What will he say? What will he say? What will he say? What will he say?

Wait, why am I even saying this? It is not important at all.

Whatever he will say would be out of curtesy you idiot. He won't mean anything he says.

"I do,"

Puff.

I am a bag of feather

and it was shot with a gun

and the feathers now were flying in the air.

 


 

AN: It's been awhile you guys! 
I miss you and I miss this story and the characters and everything. 
I updated a chapter with a word count of 4196. 
I hope you like it! 
Things are getting close to the bomb. 
I get happy when I get close to the point that started this whole story.

Anyway, I want to read your comments guys! 
Have fun and stay tuned for the next chapter. 

Don't forget to check my other story for Baekhyun 

Where Do You Go?