017

Reach For The Sky

UPDATED: 170316


 

25 June 2014 

 

I panicked. “Tell me you’re lying,”

“That that woman is not my mom? Why?” 

What the I am doing next to Mrs. Kim’s son this whole time? Why I just discovered this important fact so late? Why! I am standing to a very, very dangerous man. 

He is her ing son! 

How can I know if he is not doing the same thing but with me? Maybe she sent him to be with me so she can get some information she can use against us. 

Oh, lord. He sure had plenty of those. 

He probably saw me when me and Joohee started at that party, he saw me working part-time job, he saved my this morning and let us not neglect the little fact that he came out of nowhere. 

He possibly made the whole thing up. 

That’s another possibility to freak me out even more.  

Mangy brought some men with cameras, told them to freak the hell out of me so he appears like the hero he is. He unreservedly and shamelessly asked me out like it’s the easiest thing a person can do. 

I wondered if his mom knows or she is the one who planned it in the first place. I mean, I am sure it is a plan or his mom will never approve me as someone to accompany her son, or to date her son. 

She is a woman who’s, I am sure, capable of so many things I can’t even think of. As I recall the days she was among us and I think that what was in her mind was entirely different than what she showed. 

She hates mom and want her to disappear according to that phone-call I overheard, but all she showed is how fond she is of Mr. Kim’s choice. 

Her face was always smiling and she was complimenting mom in a way I nearly believed her. She talks like she’s being herself and she is not holding back anything and she is the kind of woman who speaks her mind and has nothing to hide.

That liar. 

I should’ve noted that that tall kid and how we end up meeting one another is totally suspicious. But, of course, I was too busy hating on my mom’s behaviors and being a drama queen. 

“Why you’re so terrified?” A smile never left his face. A sly, fox-like smile. 

I had no plan hiding things from him and I basically did not care. “Your mom is a hypocrite.” I paused trying to sum it all up. “A !” 

I wanted to explain it all in one sentence. How seriously terrified I am. For a moment, I knew I just dug my own grave since I was loud and some people turned to look at me when I said that word. 

But a chuckle was all that Mingyu did. He cocked an eyebrow. “Well, it’s been a week for you here yet you saw that already, meaning my predictions were correct about you, in fact, accurate.” 

He actually clapped his hands. “I must congratulate you,” 

I froze. He shouldn’t be laughing and he shouldn’t be congratulating me. I wasn’t being comical or something and I haven’t done something worth praising. I was 100% serious and I am shaking now.

And wait a minute.

What ing predictions? 

He shrugged like he doesn’t relate to the conversation at all. Who I just insulted is not his mom at all. The one who I just called a is not a chaebol woman and is not Mingyu’s mom at all. “It’s true. My mom is a .” It was like he was suppressing a grin. 

I gaped at him, and again, I couldn't seal this mouth of mine as it opened and threw lame words. “And, of course, you’re just like her.”

Our honesty was mutual to a point that shocked me. I didn’t expect him to speak like that. “I won’t say I am like her, but I won’t deny having some hypocritical front, since every human-being has a side they try to hide from others. It’s not something new and it is natural.” 

He nodded as Baekhyun passed by us, not looking or paying any attention to our presence, a phone pressed to his ear. He’s probably too busy, I reminded myself. “Let’s take your crush for example,” 

Time stopped. It was like someone spilled cold water on my whole body. Like everyone turned to look at me and I was and I looked funny. My ears were turning red I know, and if Mingyu accidentally touched my face or my hand, he would be burnt from how hot my skin was. And I would be fully exposed when this happens. 

“He is not my crush,” I lied poorly, blinking way too much as my heart almost popped out of my mouth. I wanted to shut up, but I felt I should speak so it would be louder than my heart beats and no one would be able to hear them. 

“Whatever,” He continued with indifference that hurt my pride for reasons I am ignorant of. “Under all that nice guy and easily-approached front he has is someone you definitely do not want to see.”

I wonder of how the conversation took such a significant turn, but of course, thanks to Mingyu’s skills in changing subjects whenever he pleases. 

I repeated. “He is not my crush!” 

And what the hell do you know about Baekhyun, you ignorant minor. 

He rolled his eyes. “He is,”

“He is not!”

My breathing rhythm changed as I lied again, and I know whatever lie I would say, that tall kid will not believe me. And that’s why I wanted to leave the room instantly. 

“Why is it about me? I don’t have a crush on him, and again, it is about you and your horrible mom.” Mingyu didn’t deny or defend his mom as I reconsidered my words. I am too harsh, I always remind myself to control my mouth. 

He reasoned with a wrinkled forehead as he pointed with his hand. “You nearly ate the guy with your eyes,”

I blinked in horror. “You little-“ I held myself with difficulties from letting my mouth flow with all the curses I know as Mrs. Kim approached and spoke to her son in privacy and I couldn’t hear anything. It was only seconds and he returned, smiling from an ear to ear, his cuspids showed. 

I shook my head as I walked away from him. I was alone and he wasn’t. The moment I walked away, some people approached to talk to him.

“Idiot.”

 

.

 

I am now glued to where my mom was. I am scared for some reason and I regretted talking to Mingyu this long and I regretted knowing him and I regretted working in that restaurant and everything that happened the last week.

I am now thinking of every possibility this whole thing mom is doing might collapse and the finger of blame will be pointing at me. 

I know I have a big mouth sometimes, but I think nothing would happen if mom simply heard me out that day. If she or her husband knew what Mrs. Kim was plotting, I would have something that supports me when things go bad. They would’ve changed something. 

So it is obviously mom’s fault. 

I stole a glance at her direction and wondered for the millionth time, how can she be so good at this? 

At blending in?

I am her daughter, I should’ve at least inherited something from her. 

She moved to me all the bad things. She is tall and I am short. She is extremely attractive and I don’t want to talk about it. She is good with conversations of all kind and I am not. She is persuasive with only a smile or a few words and I am not being able to talk or convince anyone into something. 

Oh, this is a party and I should be enjoying myself. 

Why am I always so down when I should be dancing, moving this body of mine and enjoying the free access to such a party? I am surrounded by people who do not know me. Very rich people and humiliating them would be so interesting. 

I should take advantages of that. 

“Where are you going?”

I looked over my shoulder to mom. “To enjoy myself,”

 

.

 

Yeonhee walked over to me when her eyes found mine, she joined and started talking about this and that. I only nodded, not fully interested in what The Choi owns or where The Jangs spent their summer last year. Maybe she thought I should know a little something and not be completely in the dark. The least thing I should do when I meet someone is to know who they are and what they own, Yeonhee told me. She said that she knows I do not give a but she felt like it’s her job to do so.

I realized then, Yeonhee didn’t go with her friends who probably filled the dance floor. Or they didn’t come and she preferred to have me as company. 

But then I thought about it, what if it’s related to that incident and that’s why Yeonhee finds it more comfortable to be around me. 

Possible. 

Everything is possible. 

“So you’re not going to introduce me to your friends?” I winked and she seemed not interested. I wondered if she was just faking it. 

“I would, if you wanted to, but-“ Her eyes lingered to something behind me as her expressions froze. I smirked internally.

Finally something interesting. 

I expected to see Joohee or that girl that rumored to be killed behind me, but I only found Chanwoo, standing tall in a tuxedo. He stretched out his hand and I stood there, unmoving and surprised.. “May I have this dance with you?”

I cocked my head, puzzled, and as I turned to Yeonhee, she was already in someone else’s arms. It was not a choice to accept or refuse since the music changed and the dance already started. I found myself moving swiftly along with the other people, and trying to match Chanwoo’s steps. 

“I don’t know how!”

“Just follow me,”

My voice came out louder than I intended. “Where do I put my hands?” He took my hand and placed it on his shoulder and the other one around his neck. If I weren’t wearing heels, I would’ve ripped my muscles to reach for his neck and remain in place for the entire dance.

I was observing my surroundings as they paired up right away. Different ages, but each pair knew what they’re doing.

Chanwoo, who wrapped his arm comfortably around my waist, saw through my confusion and explained. “This is an old tradition of ours. Although we might not look like we do have those things, but a certain dance to a certain music is a must in some occasions.”

I looked at their big smiles as they walked gracefully and timidly in the dance floor, as if they were trained so many times before doing it. I was shocked and I wasn’t even looking at my partner where I think I should be, as every other pair was doing so. 

People were circling us and not daring to turn for a minute and skip one moment. Some were cheering. 

“It’s beautiful.” I admitted as I was still enjoying the scene.

I realized then that I wasn't even dancing. I was only moving as Chanwoo leaded the way. My heels were knocking on the floor and making an unpleasant voice I think I was the only one able to hear. 

I got nervous. 

I shouldn’t have participated in this big, group dance when I knew nothing about dancing. 

“We call it the pairing dance since it’s just pairs and people used to propose to their partners in this dance. It sounds too original and boring from the name, but as you can see, everyone anticipate to its time.”

“I can’t-“

He smiled, his dimples showing and his eyes weren’t on mine. He was focused as he was moving and I wasn’t. “I am not doing it right, I need to stop-“

“Oh, Haneul, we can’t just stop in the middle,” He spoke as his hand left my shoulder and I blinked a few times. He said we can’t stop, yet he did release me, and within a second, his arm left my waist too. 

“You said we can’t stop?” We were still moving in circles. 

“I did, it is time to switch,” He said that and he swiftly moved to the right and took another girl, and I was faced with someone I didn't expect at all. I realized I haven’t even noticed him there, participating in the dance.

It was Baekhyun. 

There was a momentarily slow in the music, and as I was breathy and Baekhyun was panting.  He said as he panted the same phrase I heard the other partners tell one another, eyes locked. His face is free of any expressions. 

“Will you accept this dance?”

I blinked three times, and I opened my mouth again that should be sealed forever. “It’s not like I have another option.” I shrugged. “I heard we can’t stop and escape this pairing, stupid dance.”

Why I always say things I don’t mean? 

His hand took mine and I suppressed a smile as our skin touched. I know I am being creepy. His arm pulled me closer to his chest, his chin was nearly pressing against my forehead. 

For some reason, I am not nervous at all. Yes, my heartbeats are not near normal and my face is probably red, but as I was listening to his unsteady breathes, strangely, I felt calm. 

I am not sure what is the reason exactly behind this feeling that’s entirely opposite to the consent anxiety and stress I have when I am around him. Usually only his eyes would do wonders to me.

Perhaps it’s because of the mere idea that he is nervous too, whether because of me or not is not important. For a reason or another, he is too anxious. His breathing and his tensed jaw told me that. 

Or he is just angry? 

That’s another possibility. 

Or he is just exhausted. 

I looked up to his eyes, and I realized something in that moment. 

Admittedly, I haven’t, not even for once, thoroughly took a good look of his face, not this close. I always try to peek at him, but it was only for split of a second so I wouldn’t be caught red-handed. And even though all of the times he’s spoken to me directly, I had this thing that always makes me not to look at his face for long. Or not at all. 

As if my eyes would spill all of my secrets if I looked at him for long and if he, of course, caught me staring. 

I don’t know why I don’t mind now. 

He wasn’t looking at me.  

And I guess he wasn’t planning to do so. 

I couldn’t stop looking though as my feet followed his steps. 

I smiled unintentionally when I saw a mole near his mouth, and another one near his right eye. I had to dance with him and have the chance to closely look at him to notice those two moles that already became my favorite thing on earth. 

He his lips, his warm breathes hitting my forehead. 

“Are you tired?” I asked without thinking. “I bet you haven’t slept when I left you yesterday. Rough day, I suppose.” 

He swallowed. “Well, if you stopped staring at me like that, I wouldn’t be.” It came out dry. 

I frowned. “Like what?” 

He said nothing as the dance was over and we stopped. The crowd applauded and I stood there staring at his eyes but he didn’t look at me. 

Is he mad?

I blinked as I looked down on my heels. 

But it doesn’t make sense. Why would he be? 

Maybe he wanted to dance with someone else? 

That’s a possibility but it is a minor one, and a one that does not convince me. If he wanted to dance with someone else he would’ve done it. He wouldn’t pour his anger on me. 

And what about that sentence? ‘If you stopped staring at me like that,’

I unknowingly touched my cheeks to check if they were hot and they were. He knows I am staring at him this whole time, and it’s probably annoying him. 

No. No, no, I don’t think so.

I don’t think this is the answer. 

He inclined his head and flashed a smile and said with a clear voice. “It was a pleasure,” I said nothing for a moment and then, before I left, I murmured. “It didn’t feel like it was.”

I only stepped a few steps away from Baekhyun, but still I could hear him talk to someone else. I didn’t see who it was, but the sentence he said was the same one he told me when I saw him. “I am glad you made it.”

It was not like I overheard them, but their voices were clear to my ears. 

I turned to look at him and he was smiling like he was smiling at me. It looked and felt normal. 

I am an idiot and it is not something new. 

It’s my fault from the beginning to like someone on my own. People like me are not and will never be liked back. 

I made it all up and I got my hopes up from some gestures he made. I mistaken them apparently as something, but I guess it is a thing he does to everyone. 

Before I left the dance floor, Baekhyun caught me looking at him. 

 

.

 

I filled my mouth with this and that. “Idiot.” I reminded myself. “You are a high-class idiot, Haneul.” No one would beat me with that. 

I felt stupid. 

Those butterflies I experienced and those smiles drown on my lips whenever little things happened between me and him felt so stupid. I don’t know what changed and I do not know why I am thinking like this. 

I took a drink and gulped it at once. 

It’s bitter. 

Similar to the bitterness that washed over me when Mingyu took a seat next to me, as if he has nothing better to do and knows no one in here. “I CAUGHT YOU, GIRL!”  

I wondered if the girls here were too ugly for him. “Congratulation on your first dance with Byun Baekhyun.

I rolled my eyes. “For god’s sake, go somewhere else.”

“Your eyes were all glittery and shining when he stood before you. I’ve enjoyed watching you two dance.” He is planning on making me kill him, right? He has a death wish, this boy. 

“I swear to god if you didn’t shut up, I would-“

He squinted his eyes in concentration. “But let me ask you a question first,” 

The chair I was sitting on cracked as I stood, ready to leave. If he wants to speak, let him speak to himself. But his firm hand grabbed me by the arm. “Just one question, why do you like him?”

He was asking me something I don’t even know. I don’t know why I do like the guy. I don’t know why I stupidly smile if he smiled. I don’t know why I want to be the one he talks to and the one he laughs with. I don’t know why I want to know everything about him.

I don’t ing know!

He pursed his lips together and used his hands as he spoke. “Why Byun Baekhyun, out of all the people?”

I put a hand over his lips, desiring to seal his mouth forever. “Lower your goddamn voice, please.”

He smiled and did something that made me more angry. He my hand so the first thing I did was to move it and wipe it against his expensive suit. “DID YOU JUST MY HAND?”

“Back to your lover,”

“HE IS NOT MY LOVER!”

“Well, if your eyes only follow every move he takes, it means he is someone special to you, besides, you’re a horrible liar, has anyone told you that?” 

My eyes were scanning my surrounding, deeply hoping no one was looking or listening to us. “No one told me that,”

“I mean, on what basis your mind decided to react to him?”

What is he talking about? Why my mind is in the conversation all of a sudden? 

“Can you please shut the up?” My eyes were still anxiously wandering around.

He was creepily smiling. “Do you like this type of guys?”

I rolled my eyes, not believing his loss of sense. We are in the middle of a crowd and the last thing I want is for people to blabber about something like this and it is not even real. It’s not that important. 

“Like, why would like someone that’s boring and not so fun like him. I seriously will never understand girls. ”

“Yeah, that’s why you’re never settled with one.” 

He looked offended, but as if he changed his mind in expressing it. “I might  settle with you if you and Baekhyun didn’t work out,” 

“Ugggh!”

“Speaking of,” He smirked as he wiped his lips. “A fact you seemingly are ignorant of despite your stalky eye that never left the boy,” He was looking behind me. I turned and looked at where his eyes were fixed. It was a group of people, apparently, Baekhyun’s friends as he was in the center laughing and conversing. 

Souji was among his circle of friends and I just realized that’s here. I took a moment to admire her beauty from afar as she laughed to a joke one of the friends told. 

It’s not hard to be as pretty as she is, right? 

Baekhyun excused himself with Souji and the two walked to another group. 

“What fact?”

He chuckled. “Oh, now, I am grabbing your attention, huh?” 

They walked to another group, and they were now walking to us, as I made an eye-contact with Souji. 

“If you want to have him, which it will never happen, you got to compete with that girl.”

Huh?

I looked at him questionably. “That girl is his girlfriend for 2 years.”

Bam. 

 


AN: I wrote this chapter so quickly, so forgive me if there were mistakes.

I finally wrote this chapter where Mingyu teasingly tell Haneul about Baekhyun's girlfriend. 

He does it out of fun. 

What do you think of this chapter? There's so many things to comment on!

1. The dance. (Was Baekhyun angry or was he nervous because he is dancing with her? Or is it some other reason?)

2. And the fact that Chanwoo is the one who secretly made the two dance together. What does this mean?

3. And What side Mingyu is talking about?

4. Is Mingyu as bad as his mom? Or he is worse? 

5. Why he is lingered to Haneul and why did he ask her out? 

I am so excited! 

Thanks to those who commented!