016

Reach For The Sky

UPDATED: 130316


 

 

25 June 2014

7:00 pm

We arrived, and I was amazed by the wonderfully decorated place. I took some minutes to take it all in, to memorize every beautiful detail, to bury it all inside of my head. 

It’s breath-taking. 

I should’ve thought it would be like this, I mean, their house was too pretty to be real. What could a birthday-party going to be like? 

Whatever. I was enjoying the visuals while I can. 

People were dressed as fine as to match the place. And, definitely, mom was one of those people. She made sure that I am perfect from head to toe. If Baekhyun and I hadn’t had that secret mid-night conversation, I wouldn’t be as perfectly dressed as I am that mom hadn’t said any further comments on my outfit, which is ing weird. 

Apparently it wasn’t just family and friends as my eye-candy said, or referring to this number of family and friends is normal to them. I don’t know but I am shocked. There are so many people in here. 

Speaking of Baekhyun, I still have not seen him nor his annoying cousin. His father is standing with mom and Mr. Kim, smiling and showing off his flawless fake-teeth. But these other two, along with his mom were nowhere to be seen. I guess it is a part of the surprising birthday party. 

For reasons I don’t know about, I am standing alone, self-conscious about my own presence in this party. 

I shouldn’t come, right? 

This is out of my character and it’s going to drive some serious attention, especially mom’s. But I can’t help it. 

I am doing and experiencing things I once thought I shouldn’t have accept. It makes me feel weird, but I somehow like it. I feel like I am some kind of sadist for liking the disaster that happens inside me whenever Baekhyun is around, the hurricane that takes place when he speaks and I am to answer him immediately to keep things normal, the tornado that hit me when I look into his eyes.

I don’t know what this is and I try to avoid defining it for reasons are not yet specified. 

 

.

 

From nowhere, a very, very familiar voice came and reached my drums, and as a normal response, my face grimaced and my lips twisted. Who invited this kid in here? 

“Oh, my girlfriend-to-be is sitting all alone, being unsociable as I know she would in this big party.” He approached, dressed as fine as ever, with a slight smile on his lips. I rolled my eyes as he towered me and joined me as I stood there near a wall, judging people. 

“Why you’re here?”

He pretended to be surprised at my question for how inappropriate it is. “Why, is my presence unwelcomed? Do you want me to go away?”

And he can’t just answer a simple question, no he answers it with another one. He bit his lips as he cocked an eyebrow. “You look radiant today, I am fascinated, and happy, on top of that that I agreed to come in here-“

 “Why the hell are you here?” I frowned. I came here to have fun, like real fun, and I do not need him around me being a pain in the . I know he would without further thoughts. 

“Well, clearly, I am invited.” 

“That’s the question, why you are invited?”

“Are you now questioning my position in this party, Haneul?”

“Yeah!”

He chewed his lips, holding back a grin. “Are you that curious about me, Haneul?” He winked and I blinked in shock. The way he says my name makes me wants to change it. Like a strong desire to change it to something else. He makes it sound strange and it’s just awful. 

I shook my head and narrowed my eyes, pointing a finger at him. “Hey, don’t say my name so informally. We don’t know one another.”

“I technically can’t say we don’t know one another, because we do. You were in my car this morning.” He shrugged. “And you probably do not remember, but you started it by calling me Mingyu like we knew one another when I saved your in that restaurant you were working in.”

When did I ing do that? Anyhow, why should he bring such sensitive subject up in this place? What if someone heard him? Mom would kick my if she knew about my previous job. 

“Besides, it makes a better and more familiar atmosphere if we used our names like that without Miss or Mr, right? It makes us closer.” 

I am ing sure he does this to provoke me. He is the reason I am going to kill him if I did. Wait, it doesn’t make any sense, does it?  

“You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you?” 

He smiled knowingly. “Do what?” 

"This."

"What is this?"

I sighed and closed my eyes for a moment. "Do you wanna know what I wanna do right now?"

"What?"

“Like, kill you or somethings.” He chuckles and covered his mouth with his hand. A move I saw him do many times. “Or, or shove something up in your mouth so you’d shut up,” I exhaled sharply and I know I look angry. “Forever.”

But his face didn’t change a bit. It was expressionless for a moment. 

I was too close to him. And he smirked. “I would like it if you used your lips to shut me up,”

I blinked as he didn’t even flinch when he said it. I was speechless and I stammered. “What-“

I shook my head in complete shock. “What the-“

I walked away, hands up in the air. “What the is wrong with him!”

 

.

 

I think I am gonna rotten here, eating all the food and forgetting Baekhyun. But mom of course saw that and grabbed me by the arm, dragging me to the center. “I didn’t bring you here to eat,”

I rolled my eyes as I slid from her grip. “Well, you didn’t bring me here, I did with my free well, and I do this in all parties. Eat.”

“No, today, you’re going to stand here, next to me,” She touched my chin as for me to have my head up. “Chest up as well, and a big, big smile.” When I frowned, she pointed with her well-done eyebrows at the cameras. “Nah, I wouldn’t do this if I were you,”

“Well, that’s what you are going to do, not me.” I shrugged. 

And as I looked away from mom’s face, my eyes came in contact with Chanwoo’s. He smiled as he approached. “As I see, you came as well. Believe me, I am more than happy that you joined us as well!”

His voice was too loud, even though the music weren’t that loud for him to increase his voice to be heard. I nodded and shook his hand. From his attitude toward my mom, I understood that he’s seen her and greeted her before me. But of course, I was busy eating every dish put in that table. 

Mom spoke and I wanted to shut her up. “This time she came without me dragging her with me forcefully,” I widened my eyes and I mouthed her. ‘Stop!’. Expectedly, she didn’t stop and she has no intentions to. “I get downstairs, look around, the girl is ready and I didn’t even tell her about the party.”

UGH!

What do I do now? Bury myself? 

Chanwoo chuckled with his ‘I-know-something-you-don’t’ smile I hate the most. Of course, it’s all his fault, the lady man. He evokes their conscious mind to keep talking bull. 

I froze when Chanwoo turned and it was Baekhyun right behind him. 

I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing. I hope he heard nothing.

But that knowing smile on his face when mom and Chanwoo walked away told me he did. The smile that made my heart halt. The smile that made me breathless for a moment. 

“Thank you for coming.” When no one was looking and no one was around, as Mrs. Byun made an entrance and everyone is busy looking at her, he whispered in my ears. “I am glad you made it, really.”

I am in the sky. 

In space.

Euphoria does not even explain or express the feelings I am having. Consequently, I smiled stupidly at him. 

 

.

 

In the middle of my smile as I was stealing glances at Baekhyun, Mingyu showed up from behind with a glass in his elegant hand. He commented on my face and said some other mocking remarks that only made him laugh. Before that, he gave me one look I didn’t quite like. It’s like he was studying me. 

I rolled my eyes and narrowed my eyes at him. “What you gonna do without me, I wonder.”

He pretends to be terrified at the idea and he let out a feminine voice that does not suit him whatsoever. “Oh, lord, I would die.”

“Well, that’s what I thought. Your mission in life is to ruin my life, so if I weren’t there you have nothing to do, right?”

He scoffed. “Oh calm down, Miss the center of the universe.”

I am not, but he is really annoying me. As silence went down on us and we were just looking at people and I was still taking quick glimpses at Baekhyun, he spoke. “So have you thought about my offer?”

“NO!” I exclaimed.

“Why not?”

“It’s not an offer, by the way,” I raised my eyebrows. “I thought you weren’t serious.” 

“Why wouldn’t I be?” 

I shrugged. “I don’t know, you do not even know me. Why would you ask someone out of the blue to go out?”

“Maybe I liked you.”

“Oh yeah, I totally believe you.” His laugh was loud and funny, it made me laugh too. In the middle of this chaos, I caught some people’e eyes lingered on me. Mom, Yeonhee’s friend, and Baekhyun. 

A few old people approached us, well, they were meaning to speak with Mingyu. They smiled and their faces wrinkled. To my surprise, they were addressing him with full respect and it never occurred to me to actually question who he is and what is his family position compared to the Kim and Byun family. Not that I do give the slightest interest of these things as mom does, but for a minute, and as I see him smoothly conversing with these over 50 year-old men, I was really curious about him and his life. 

We are not friends. We are not a girlfriend and a boyfriend. But he is someone I’ve shared some of my critical moments with here. He is someone so strange. He is not the silly, smily, flirty boy when he spoke with these men. He is an entirely different person. He is not even smiling as they asked him about his father’s trip abroad and the company that his family owns. 

Why I can’t see this serious side of him when he is with me? 

I blinked in complete shock, intending him to see me so. “Whoa. Who are you? For a moment, I couldn't recognize you.” 

His lips lifted up slowly. “I know, I sometimes can’t recognize myself.” He his lips, and turned to look down on me. “So,” 

I smiled unconsciously. “Back to the unanswered questions.” 

I raised my eyebrows as my eyes wandered around for a moment in search of a distinct head. It was a split of a second when Baekhyun’s eyes lingered on mine, again, that night when I intended to only secretly look at him. However, that awkward silence and expression I made probably didn’t pass by Mingyu. 

He narrowed his eyes and looked at where my eyes were. “No,”

I looked up at him and frowned. “What?”

He put his hand over his lips. “Nothing, so you were saying?”

The transient distant look between me and Baekhyun made me forget everything I wanted to ask him. “Ahm,” I stammered for a minute and then a question popped in my head. “Who are you?”

He showed some disappointment as if he expected something else. “I am Mingyu.”

“Well, I know that. I am asking who are you as in this rich society.”

He leaned against the wall as he took another glass in his hand. “To put it simply, I am a man people look forward to my parties. I am fun-loving, I am nice,” 

“That doesn’t answer the question.”

He nodded as he checked out a girl just passed. “It does.”

I sighed, and decided to be more specific. “Okay, how old are you?” 

He smirked. “You’re interested in my age?”

“Well, yeah, I do need to see what this society can give to their kids and whether they care about the age or not.”

“I am 17, you?”

I blinked, and so suddenly, I started laughing and out-loud. I started slapping my thigh and my tears already flowing, nearly ruining my make-up. I breathed with difficulty and tried to explain to him something. “You- You’re just 17? HAAAAAA.”

“Just?” He looked annoyed, and pissed, but the more I think about it the funnier it gets. He’s ing younger than me. I can’t believe it. 

“Hey, cut it out, will you?”

“I can’t,” I said between my breathes. “It’s just-“ And I continued laughing and I know that I was driving attention. That’s what made me stop. That I was driving attention. 

“I wonder what’s so funny?”

I realized if I told him why I would look silly and stupid. I was just laughing that he is younger than me, that I am older than him. But it is sad somehow, that he is younger than me yet he has things I would never possess. He did things I know I would never be able to do. He saw things I would never see in million years. 

I saw him with many girls and they were crazy about him. I saw him nearly ing a girl in a bathroom. Nearly? I am not sure about that.  

Maybe in the rich society it is okay and no big deal to see young people doing this and that so freely, but to me, it is not okay. Personally, a kiss still has some valuable effect on us, but I guess to Mingyu and his society, it is not a big deal.

As I think of it, I was becoming sad. I shrugged, not laughing. “Nothing, I am just older than you and I found it funny.”

He didn’t say anything and asked after a period of silence. “How old are you?” 

I wanted to say some annoying comments just like he did when I asked him, like why are you interested in me, as a part of me trying to be sarcastic. But I remembered that this would evoke that idea. The nonsensical idea of dating me.  

So I confessed my age unreservedly. “Just one year older than you,”

He scoffed and patted my shoulder. “I thought you are five years older than me or something.” He gulped from his drink and stated the fact. “One year does not count.”

It does count. “No, it does.”

“I mean, in relationships.” 

I rolled my eyes real hard. He still brings that subject again. He twisted his lips as he explains his point that I am not interested in at all. “Well, one year or whatever, a relationship depends on other things, you know.”

I don’t. And I do not comprehend why he is clarifying this. To me. 

“Like for example, my parents. It is just a one year gap,” He pointed at one person at the distant. “Even though I have never took them as my role-model in relationship,” and I realized for a moment that the drink effect started to appear. I blinked at the person who waved back at him. 

A woman.

“Wait,” He turned to look at me, his cheeks were pinkish from the drink I guess. “Do you know that woman?”

He smiled as if I just an inside joke he was the only who’s able to uncover. “Yes, it's my mom, why?”

me.

His mom is Mrs. Kim. 


AN: It's been a long time since the last time I update this story! 
I love it so much and it's on top of my stories that I currently write. 

I miss it too! Did you too?

So I tried to make the party in a one chapter, but I couldn't. 

It's full of details so it's gon be a few chapters! *I am happy for that*.

Tell me what do you think of this chapter!

I would like to thank all of those who took some of their time to leave a nice comment, especially those who left a very satisfying long one! 

( Yeollshin ) : Thanks for your long comments! I like to reread them! 

( Vip83bb ) : I would like to thank you for your constant comments. You always comment! and they're always nice *.*

( Andin0709 ) : you were one of the first readers so I would like to thank you so much for your constant support! 

( Bjonas84 ) : You were one of the first readers, I would like to thank you too! 

( iamtaniot ) : Thank you too for your constant support!