014

Reach For The Sky

Listen to: Red Velvet - Oh Boy
 


UPDATED: 290116


24 June 2014

 

I threw my clothes away because they have a disgusting boy's smell on them. It's like that idiot took a bath with his perfume. It stuck in my nose and I am not pleased.

I have spoken to the servants in charge of washing the clothes for the first time since I got here. "Wash them for me, or ahm," I paused hesitatingly and thought it through then answered.

"Or I will."

She looked at me with confusion, but I immediately told her to go. Before she walked away, I held her hand. "Don't tell my mom I am here."

I know they all tell mom everything. Some of them knew that Baekhyun drove me somewhere. Mom asked me out of the blue what we did. I freaked out for many reasons. First, mom was kind of suggesting that there is something between Baekhyun and me. I can't, strictly can't be happy about this whatsoever, because I myself is still self-conscious about everything that has to do with that guy. I am not ready for my mom trying to hook me up with him or throwing some suggestive comments when he or his mother are around. I specifically told mom to stop bringing the subject again or I will not come to her wedding. She wasn't shocked that I was threatening her, but again, I told her to minimize the things that makes me mad at least during our stay in the Kim's manor.

I also lied one big lie, Pinocchio himself is probably amazed somewhere in this world. I told mom Baekhyun is not my style and I concluded 'Don't try to make a pair out of me and another Chaebol!'. 

I am so stupid.

My face was already red, imagining Baekhyun and me in the aisle, hand in hand, dressed up in a black tuxedo looking finer than ever.

"How can I make it work?" I don't know how to make this wash-machine work. It is different from the one we have at home. "Ugh,"

And then my head went back to that flirty-smiley tall boy, Mingyu. I kicked the machine and then I flinched.

I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't let him help me or see me in such a weak position. He would think we are close now that he'd done me that favor.

I think I should be happy he did that to me. I think I should be thankful. But my decision was right when I didn't express any gesture of appreciation to this tall good-looking boy called Mingyu.

What I should've done was simply stop working if I didn't want to get caught. However, I have a hard head and I am someone that's hard to convince. Finally, I decided to stop working here.

I was half- when Yeonhee came to the room to tell me that mom wants me downstairs. "Knock on the door, would you?"

I was startled, thinking it was mom, but I pretended that I wasn't. Yeonhee blinked her big eyes at me. "I did!"

Yeah, I was thinking and haven't heard a thing.

 

.

 

I want these things to stay as far as possible from mom's ears.

  1. I have a pathetic crush over the boy next door who probably forgot who I am by now.
  2. I had a fight in a party where chaebols were all there.
  3. I was working in a near the house restaurant and I nearly got caught.  

I took my salary and left the restaurant. The boss was confused that I suddenly left. She thought Mingyu was a boyfriend of mine and has something to do with me quitting the job.

The tea was served, and Mr. Kim was seating along with us. I think mom called me so I would not miss this family gathering. Mom was smiling as her hands held Yeonhee's phone.

"Oh, you look good in this one." I knew she was showing my mom some pictures, and I was excluded, but it is okay. I heard mom's laughter as she threw her head to the back in exaggeration I am too familiar with.

I noticed mom's glimpse at me, wanting me to ask her why she is laughing, but of course, I didn't. They went on their conversation, and Mr. Kim and I were still not included. When he saw that I was examining his face and posture, he lifted his lips in a knowing smile. "How are you, Haneul?"

I internally rolled my eyes at how hard people try to open up a conversation I am not welcoming with me. I answered briefly, taking my eyes and busying myself with something else. "Fine," 

He raised his eyes. "I am glad you are fine."

I then heard mom's sentence that grabbed my attention. "Well, from now on, you should mention me next time!"

"Ahm, I didn't know you had an account," Yeonhee answered with sincere uneasiness I used to misunderstand.

"You should've asked!" Mom's eyes widened as well as her smile. "I see you knew about Haneul's, but not mine."

I realized then, they were speaking about some Instagram posts Yeonhee had posted. "How did you know my account?" I stood, my eyes narrowed in suspiciousness.  

Without saying any further comments, I grabbed her phone and saw the posts they've been talking about. I was there.

My pictures all over her Instagram.

Well, I was there next to her and some of her friends.

"You told me when we were at the party the other day." She said right away. Her face was telling me she doesn't want me to get angry, which made me think if I was really scary.

I seriously don't remember, but it's probably due to how many glasses I'd drunk that day. The little details, I can't remember them clearly.

I gave her back her phone. Mom's face was annoyed. She mouthed me 'Apologize'. Mr. Kim didn't react, as if he was now accustomed to things that happen in this house, especially those things I do.

"I am going to sleep," I said before taking the stairs. I heard mom's sentence though. "What about dinner?"

 

.

 

When I saw my phone I almost screamed. Since I've turned Instagram's notification off for a long time, I didn't see the tags Yeonhee did. I took a quick look at Yeonhee's profile. Her followers were +700k.

me.

What, is she some kind of celebrity or something?

I messaged my temples to ingest this. She's got fans. She posts daily, and the recent photos were from today's breakfast. I saw a picture where she, Chanwoo and even Baekhyun posing with a nice smile to the camera. At the corner of the picture, there was mom and I when we were discussing Mrs. Kim matter this matter. My face was silly and I looked horrible. She tagged me in this picture, even though I wasn't looking at the camera.  

"Oh, no."

I wanted to slap my face at this thought that arrived in my head as I kept looking at Baekhyun's smile. This is our first picture together. "Oh, god, I can't be serious."

I looked into another post. This girl knows how to take some good selfies. And the comments alone shocked me real hard. You know, I couldn’t visualize Yeonhee to be the girl who's active in social-media.

She is beautiful and rich after all. I guess that's what people want to see, always. A pretty face, fancy clothes all day long, and places they've never seen before.

I saw a picture of me from behind. That was when I was brushing my teeth in her room. I didn’t see her take it or even notice. I was wearing white and black PJs, my hair was up in a messy bun, and my sleeves were up so it won't get wet. At least, I looked cute in this one.

The caption made me crack and almost pee myself. 'My badass sister'.

The smile didn’t leave my lips easily after reading that post. I know what she meant. It's because of what I had done to Minwoo and Joohee. When I think about it, I still don't believe I did it.

I also couldn't stop smiling because this girl refer to me as sister even in front of the whole world. I think there is this little, so little part of me that is thankful that Yeonhee exist. She always sees something I don't see in me.

To myself, I am only a coward.

I do not want to admit it to mom or anyone, but I started to enjoy having her around.

With a smile, I kept on stalking Yeonhee and her friends. Thanks to this generation of technology, I've known so many information about Yeonhee's surroundings just by looking into their Instagram accounts. I've known so many faces by just this app.

I also stalked Baekhyun, but I was too scared to press 'like' by mistake, I exited the app.

 

.

 

1:00 AM

I couldn’t sleep. I tossed her and there, but no, sleep is not going near my eyes.

The idea of leaving the house and going to the shore was tickling my head. I thought of the slightly cold wind against my face and the mind-clearing sound of the waves. I smiled as I got up right away, feeling the life in my veins. I grabbed a jacket and walked out of the room's door briskly. I looked to my left and then to the right. No one was around.

The back door was locked so I had to get out from a window. It scratched my arm. "Ouch,"

Jjong, the dog the Kim owns, followed me and I welcomed him to this short journey. He was cute despite his size. It was the first Kim member I accepted in my head.

When I reached the shore, I realized the significance of bringing a jacket. Even if it's soon to be July, but the weather gets cold at night. I thought it would be just like when I was in Seoul, but everything is different in here.

I wore the jacket because I don't want to get a cold. I sat, Jjong sat next to me as well, face to the sea that I can't see because of the darkness but I can feel and smell and hear.

I smiled.

How nice.

I looked at my hand where the glass penetrated my skin a few days ago. It doesn't hurt as it used to, but I still can't get in water because of it.

My smile widened.

This will be forever here and it will forever remind me of Wonwo and so many other things. This will remind me of Wonwo's secret first love story. This will remind me of how the proverb 'don't judge a book by its cover' fits Yeonhee so much. This will remind me of me and how I saw so many 'Me's in these few days.

I also thought I know myself well, but I guess I don't.

It's only been a week in here.

I turned to him with a smile I might only give to an old friend. "You must be happy to live here so you can see this whenever you want,"

"Don't you see it whenever you want?"

I stood up straight right away when I heard Baekhyun from behind.

Startled? I peed myself, thanks to him.

When did he even come here? Wait, why is he here in the first place?

I stammered like the fool I am. Not a single word come out of my mouth. Once Baekhyun is around, every muscle in my body tense.

"You freaked the hell out of me,"

Oh. He is older than I am and I mustn't swear in front of him.

Wait.

How old is he?

Is he two years older than me?

Is he the same age as me?

I don't know why but knowing this little information was all I need now.

I swallowed, and I wished the dim light didn't show that I was blushing.

"I am sorry," he shrugged, not looking at me, as he knelt to pet Jjong.

I wanted to say so many things. I wanted to tell him leave the dog alone; you're freaking him out with your touch like you're freaking me out with your own existence. I wanted to tell him; don't smile like that. I wanted to tell him; you can't show up so suddenly like a serial killer and frighten my weak, fragile heart. I wanted to tell him; this is my property, my territory that no one dare to come near it. I wanted to tell him; why he was here and why he is not sleeping and why he was wearing a pair of PJ pants and a white t-short and still looking so gorgeous.  

"You can't hear people's talk without their permission, you know."

Oh. I choose the stupidest thing among all the things I wanted to say. Thank you, brain, for making me look idiotic all the time.

"It's not like I intended to listen to that statement of yours," He shrugged again. His hair was half-wet and I just noticed that. "I got out, found someone talking to a dog in the middle of the night, and I approached,"

Seemingly, he is pointing out how weird I am, like I don't already know. "But talking to dogs is common,"

"I didn't say it wasn't."

Yeah, but you made it look like it wasn't.

He lifted his eyes. "Why you're still standing?"

I wonder how he can speak so freely and with so much ease while I am nearly shaking just because he is here.

"Because I am going to sleep."

I am not going to sleep after this unexpected meeting, that's what I so sure of.

"Why you're out?" I shrugged, imitating his way in speaking. "In the middle of the night?"

He averted his eyes and pursed his lips, hands still on Jjong. "Insomnia before big events."

I didn't say anything for a while. Looking at him up-close, in this dim light, and in this comfy clothes was building something inside me. My eyes couldn't go anywhere but his face.

I realized something while I was digging holes in his face. He always looks sad.

Maybe I am wrong.

"Big events?" I was about to ask what it is, but I shut up. I think it's something personal and I do know very well my position. Even though I might die from curiosity.

I turned to walk back to the manor. I didn't say anything. I didn't say good-night. I didn't say any advice that might help him sleep or whatever. I just left.

I suddenly stopped.

I am so, so, so stupid.

I haven't realized that until now.

The jacket I was wearing was his jacket.

"Oh, god."

I turned and he was looking at me. It made me more nervous and my heartrate increased. I walked to where he was standing, and I took the jacket off. "I only had worn it this time and it is only because I didn't know it is going to be cold at night. That's why I didn’t bring so many clothes with me when I came to Jeju."

"Here." I handed it to him and I attempted to leave, but he held my arm. "No, keep it."

My eyes found his immediately. As if I can't judge his honesty by his voice and only his eyes will show me the truth. "No, take it."

"No, please, keep it." He smiled. "You wouldn't wear it if it wasn't cold,"

After a short silence. "Once I buy more clothes, I will return it," I was so nervous and I heard my voice shaking. "Immediately."

His eyes were pouring some sort of black magic in me. He just looks at me and I forget how to speak. "Okay, deal."

I suddenly spoke. "Ahm, if you're having troubles sleeping because of this big event you have, try not to stress yourself thinking about it and think about anything else. The key is everything is going to fine and-"

He chuckled. "It's not a personal or a life-time decision kind of event. It's just my mom's birthday."

I blinked. "Oh,"

I was about to give him some real advice here. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you," He looked down to his feet for a moment and then he lifted his eyes. "You should tell her that yourself tomorrow. There is a party and you should come."

Is he inviting me or am I too delusional?

"It won't be crowded, it's only family and friends."

I nodded and walked away.

 

.

 

I am in bed.

Excited.

Butterfly jar is what my belly feels like.

I can't sleep even though I went to the sea so it will help me have some.

But all the thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Byun's son.

I didn't know from where I got the courage to walk away while he was looking at me.

When I entered the house, I thought everyone would wake up from my drum-like heart-beats. It was insane.

I took my phone so I would sleep if I started reading some bull in the timeline.

I saw so many notification of people who started following me in Instagram.

I used to have 61 followers and now I have 2k.

What the actual ?

 

 

25 June 2014

 

It was a nice morning to go out and do nothing. I was excited to buy something new for Mr. Byun's party that I would definitely attend.  

I was asked by Baekhyun himself.

I sneaked out of my room to the door. I was wearing a pair of Nike sneakers, black pants and an oversized black t-shirt. There was one word in white written in the middle of the shirt. ''.

I've seen a café a few miles away from here with a nice view and I guess it would be so nice to go there, eat, and do something with my laptop.

I did finally reach my destination and it was like I thought. The food's price was reasonably unexpansive, the general atmosphere matches my liking, and there is not so many people in here.

Before I return to Seoul, I guess I should do some shopping or visit some places in here. I don't think I would get this chance twice in my life, to come in Jeju not paying one won.

 

.

 

I spent 4 hours watching some TV shows and god, how I missed my old life when mom was single. Mom was constantly calling me. I finally answered her when I got out of the café. "What mom?"

"WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? YOU DIDN'T COME FOR BREAKFAST AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO! ON TOP OF IT ALL, YOU ARE NOT ANSWERING YOUR PHONE-"

Mom needs to chill. "Mom, you deafened my ears by the way."

"I WAS WORRIED THAT SOMETHING-"

And again, mom plays 'the worried parent' card very well.

"I am sorry," I said what I think she wants to hear. "I won't do it again," even though I know I won't stop doing it.

"Where are you? I will send-"

"I will come myself, don't worry. I just got out and it's a matter of getting a taxi and reaching the house."

She hung up so she would show me that she is mad.

I waved at a taxi who passed by me as if not seeing me whatsoever. I had my coffee in one hand and my bag in the other hand. So I was having some hard time.

So suddenly, I heard some noises and I saw some flashes. I turned and looked from behind my sunglasses. There was a group of people with giant cameras, and to my surprise, they were all calling my name.

I was utterly shocked and didn't know what to do as they start taking pictures of me.

What is this situation?

I didn't know, and that's why I walked so fast out of their sights. But they followed.

No, they appeared from everywhere.

I spent 10 minutes trying to avoid their cameras that I don't know why exactly they're using it and why is it me. I threw my coffee in a garbage can because it wasn't helping me run.

A white Ferrari stopped right in front of me. The window rolled down and it revealed a face I recognized right away. "Get in the car, now."

I don't know how he found me and I don't want to know. I am thankful he appeared in such a situation. I let my pride behind my back and got into my savior's car.

"Oh god." I was finally able to take my breathes.

Mingyu drove crazily in the wide streets to somewhere I no longer recognize. He stopped after driving for another ten minutes.

"This is ridiculous." I was still under the shock. "Who the were those people? They must know that I can sue every one of them,"

"Paparazzi."

My eyes almost fell from their sockets. "Why would they take pictures of me? I don’t understand."

He chuckled and shook his head, looking at me as someone who found his life-goal. "You are her daughter,"

"What?"

He bit his lips, amused to an unexplainable extent. "Cause you are Haneul, the daughter of Mr. Kim's new wife, the woman everyone's talking about."

"You are not talking about my mom, are you?"

He looked at me straight in the eye. "I am."

"Now they are ruined, and I blames those idiots." I looked down on my shoes, which has a stain of coffee now. "I seriously don’t know how to thank you. You are a life-savior."

"You can thank me by doing me a favor, Haneul." Oh he is already calling me by my name. His arm was pressing against the driving-wheel, and he is looking at me.

"If I can do it, I will, of course."

I am deep down thankful to this player.

"Let's date, Yoon Haneul."


AN: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
The update after two months break! 
I missed the characters so much. 
As you can see, so many HaneulXMingyu and HaneulXBaekhyun is here! 

What are your thoughts for this chapter?

Yeah, we are finally close to the main point of this story. FINALLY!

Have fun!