013

Reach For The Sky

DONT FORGET TO CHECK ON MY OTHER STORIES!


WORDS: 4077


24 June 2014

He said it out of courtesy.

He said it because he's too polite to say the truth.

He said it because there were eight pairs of eyes set on him. However, I couldn't help it. My face was red and I was avoiding any conversation and any possible eye contact with anyone.

I was only listening as I always am. I succeeded. "So why you didn't drag your son with you?" I heard Yeonhee's father asking Mrs. Kim with a warm voice. Followed that was Mrs. Kim's distinct laugh. "You know my son. He's always with friends,"

I suspected that I actually heard Yeonhee scoff and murmur. 'How little you know,' I wasn't sure of what to do next. I even doubted she was talking to me or hoping for me to listen or have a certain response.

"And since it is summer, I didn't want to wake him up so early." Mrs. Kim continued and looked at us, girls, and winked. "He will not wake up even if I tried, so,"

She shrugged with a knowing smile I couldn't define.

I froze. Her face makes me nauseated; especially after knowing that whatever she does or say now is 100% fake. Yeonhee smiled in agreement. "Yeah, we barely woke up this morning, too,"

"Really? So did you enjoy your time yesterday?"

I see that everyone seems to know about yesterday's party, even Mrs. Kim. I thought it was a private kind of party that adults didn’t know about. I fear things are different when it comes to chaebols. I mean, they let their daughters and sons go to such parties with an open-mind. They were drinking even though there were some who are under 18. People were ing and I didn't expect the higher class parties to be like this at all. But it seems like they are all okay with it, the party I mean.

I am afraid everyone knows about the little fight I started yesterday. Hopefully no one knows.

I lifted my eyes to look at Baekhyun for the first time after Chanwoo's stupid statement earlier. He knows too. Chanwoo probably does as well. What if their tongues slipped while I am not around and spoke about it, I wondered. If mom knew, I would be a dead body by now, I am sure of that. But, if she or Mr. Kim knew, I would have to explain everything from A to Z. I don't want that. Well, obviously, the one involved in all of this didn't want any of this to be revealed, which is Yeonhee.

I turned my head to look at her.

She looks normal. Too normal that it worries me. She doesn't look like someone who had his heart broken just yesterday. And not just that, her ex was shamelessly cheating on her with one of her closest friends. She doesn’t look like someone who cried 10853 liters of tears. She doesn't look like someone who's been making out with a boy she didn't know.

I thought I would see a different Yeonhee, but she was like every day Yeonhee. It is freaking me out for mysterious reasons. She is the queen of hiding secrets, I realized that when Mrs. Kim mentioned something about a fight that happened in the party and Yeonhee innocently responded that she saw nothing like that.

She was next to me when the fight happened. She came to me when Baekhyun got me out.

I am sure she saw it all.

My hair was a mess. My lips were bleeding from the corners. My whole face was red.

Who gave me some tissues? It was Yeonhee. Who asked me if I were okay? It was she.

Who was the one who cheered up after what happened? No one but Kim Yeonhee.

It's her. My only companion at the party.

Who's she trying to mess with?

I seriously thought she would be the one who snitches on me. What else this little girl hide, I wondered for a long time that I didn't listen to Chanwoo speaking again.

 

.

 

I managed to whisper in my mom's ear about the reason Mrs. Kim was here with us and mom gave me the bomb. Today, there will be the wedding photo shooting, and Mrs. Byun asked Mrs. Kim to handle it all, saying that her work is always perfect. She said and I quote; 'No one will do it better than Mrs. Kim'.

Mom and Mr. Kim will go and dress up and take some photos with Mrs. Kim accompanying them for the whole time. I can't help but worry as the time goes by.

Mom seemed happy that Mrs. Kim is willing to help. Little she knows that she wants to ruin this wedding as much as I do. But the only difference is our intention.

I am good and she is bad. I want to go back to the peaceful life I used to have in Seoul but she wants to humiliate us.

"I am going with you,"

Mom's jaw fell down to the floor. She didn't expect me to offer such a service. "Well, I thought about asking you to come and take some photos with me, since Yeonhee is going too, but I was shocked that it came for you."

I don't care that mom thinks I am approving of the marriage now that I am going with them, but I am not going to let Mrs. Kim take her chance in secretly killing my mom.

 

.

 

I was inside the house, thinking deeply of what is going to happen as I was sitting in a sofa and spacing out when Wonwoo waved a hand in front of my face. "Hey, from the earth to Haneul,"

I flipped and fell backward at the sudden voice. "What?" I held my back as I looked at his grin that soon turned into laughter.

"Your mom's calling you and you were sitting here like a dead body,"

I stood and rolled my eyes; my back still hurt. "I was thinking,"

He nodded and pointed at the back door. "Okay, go to your mom now."

Before I walked to the garden, I looked at him with narrowed eyes and confessed what was in my head. "Your girl is starting to scare me by the way,"

His smile disappeared when he realized that I was referring to Yeonhee. I headed to the door before he could say anything, but I didn’t see who I was walking into. Baekhyun and Chanwoo were walking into the house and I almost pumped into them. As I stepped back, horrified, I clumsily slipped.

I think I slipped not because of the fact that I wasn't seeing what's in front of me, it's because our eyes met for a moment and it happened that we were close, a few meters close.

It felt unreal and untrue.

"Careful," Baekhyun held me by the arm, helping me to regain my balance, and his hand was too firm on my muscle. I stood and slapped his hand away from me.

The area where his hand was burning.

I was so stupid to speak, as expected. "I am," I blinked nervously as I stole one last glance at him from up-close. "You just appeared from nowhere."

I mean, it is not enough that I wasn't looking at my way and now I am saying foolish excuses. Chanwoo narrowed his eyes and chuckled. "If you kept an eye on where you were walking,"

"It's fine," Baekhyun told his cousin, but he wasn't looking at me. I looked over the boys' shoulder as mom was calling me. She was waving at me to come. I walked by them without saying anything.

"A person would at least say sorry or bow to those older than him," I heard Chanwoo murmuring as I disappeared from their sight.

Now they think I am rude and a right?

 

.

 

"WHAT?"

Mom told me that since Mrs. Byun suggested Mrs. Kim to be the wedding planner, Mrs. Kim advised to keep the photo-shooting a surprise for both of us, me and Yeonhee. Meaning, I won't be able to be around my mom and guard her from the spider Mrs. Kim.

Mom was smiling the whole time, I know it is because she still can't believe I am accepting this marriage thing. I was boiling as I was staring at Mrs. Kim laughing with the boys.

I then realized something. I know so little about this wedding. Well, little means nothing. But it worries me that the spider is the planner for the whole thing. She is in charge of nearly everything, from what I comprehend from mom's and Yeonhee's words.  

The wedding and where it's going to be, the dresses, the guests, and this photoshoot thing that popped out of nowhere.

"Mom, how can you trust her?" I asked, out of the blue, and I suspected that one of the boys heard me. But I could care-less, honestly. Mom turned left and right, her habit while talking to me is to check our surroundings and if someone heard me talking.

I looked at Baekhyun while he wasn't looking; something I've been doing since this morning, and continued whispering. "Mom. She is not a good person. She is a , I've heard-"

Mom covered my mouth with her manicured hands. Oh, Chanwoo saw that. "Why are you speaking about her like that?"

I was trying to speak but I ended up my mom's hands so she will take them off me. "I was about to tell you the story but you were shushing me-"

"What, what is it you're trying to say?"

I exhaled and looked seriously at mom's eyes, wishing that the sun will rise from the west and she would believe me. "Mom, she's a hypocrite."

I wanted to transfer the conversation Mrs. Kim had that day from my memory to hers and be done with it. So it will be faster, and she will know the truth before going there with her. However, we are in 2014 and technology didn't provide us with that yet.

Mom shook her head and sighed, mirroring the way I spoke. "Isn't everyone? I mean, do you think when I smile at this old man and that old lady I mean it and I like them? No!"

"You didn't even let me finish." I put a strand of hair that's been annoying me behind my ear. "I overheard a conversation the day we went the Choi's daughter restaurant. She was smiling at us, but she was talking about us, well, especially you."

Mom rolled her eyes. "Your words, Haneul."

Mrs. Kim spoke louder than usual to grab my and my mother's attention. "So, it is time to go, shall we?" She was looking at mom and Mrs. Byun. Yeonhee's father was ready and took my mom's hand and she didn't even look at me. Or at least said, 'to be continued'.

I internally groaned. I have to do something.

 

.

 

I escorted my mom and the other guests to the door. Not because I am polite like Yeonhee, but because I am still thinking of a way to accompany them.

Baekhyun left first. I didn't see him when he left.

 

.

 

I was out of ideas. I couldn't think straight.

The first thing that came to mind is that I can't stay home.

I have to leave the house and at least know where this photo-shooting is.

I need a car.

I told the servants, since they asked, that I am bored and I am going to explore our surroundings. But I went, walking, after Mr. Kim's driver who took mom, Mrs. Byun and Mrs. Kim.

I am now panting, but I am still in the area of a punch of chaebol houses. Big, spacious and with walls that seemed to never end.

I got lost.

I think I entered someone's house thinking it was the exit to this neighbor.

A dog showed up from nowhere, barking aggressively at the sight of me, and I almost peed my pants. I still wear this morning's outfit. The guards thought I was homeless, looking for money. They didn't have eyes to see how a fashionable homeless I was.

He was holding me from the back of my shirt and I was struggling to get away. "I told you, I am not who you think I am,"

He glared at me. "Shut up,"

I am going to show you who's going to shut up. "You have to listen to me, I live a few blocks from here and-"

He chuckled, phone pressed against his ear. "Yeah, you wish,"

You little bastard.

"What is it, Mr. Kusaki?" A female voice reached my ears and I turned to it immediately. I was shocked to see it was no one but Bae Souji. What a coincidence.

She had a few friends, girls and boys. They were in their swimsuits.

I interrupted a party.

My eyes recognized one figure. It was the only one wearing normal clothes.

It was Baekhyun.

He was the one who told the guards to let me in. That I am someone he knows.

 

.

 

I don't need to emphasize how embarrassed I am. I don't need to form any words to describe how much I wanted the earth to open up a hole and swallow me.

I stayed for a few minutes since Souji insisted I stay. She called it a remarkable coincidence that came just in time. I called it ty one. She actually offered some swimsuits for me to join them. She was smiling all the time and I wanted to disappear even more.

I excused myself, but I didn't know what to say when I was asked what exactly I was looking for. I couldn't say that I was stalking mom. She told me that I have to repeat this coincidence, since our houses were near one another, I should visit her again.

I kept fanning myself in my way out to the gate.

My face was warm and probably red.

I rolled my eyes. "When will I stop embarrassing myself?"

I slapped my forehead. "When will I learn?"

"So, what was it you're looking for?"

Every muscle stiffed. I looked behind me, so startled. I swallowed, hard, at the sight of Baekhyun. He had his car keys in his hand and his phone on the other hand.

Baekhyun, the stupid, made me forget how to speak.

"I- Ahm, I-" I was stuttering.

I didn't expect him to follow me. He could've stayed with his friends, why he came after me?

Yeah, he came because he is captivated by your charm and followed you without thinking. Yeah, Haneul, that's it.

Of course, he had other things to do. Of course, he said that because it happened that I was just walking in front of him.

But, he could just not talk to me.

I am rude.

I am homeless, according to the Japanese giant guard.

I am violent and don't know how to say thank you.

I am everything bad and he needs to be away from me.

"Well, you're not answering me for a reason, I am sure." He raised his eyebrows and walked before me.

I was able to breathe as he is now in front of me, walking elegantly to the gate. I was looking at his back. His hair. His shoulders.

His voice echoed in my head.

"Honestly, I thought if I ran after mom's car I would be able to follow them-"

Wait, why did I open my mouth?

He halted and looked at me, as to wait for me to continue my sentence. I blinked, not saying a word. He chuckled and narrowed his eyes. "Ran?"

I blinked again. I really regret coming to Jeju. This constant session of embarrassment won't end.

"Did you actually run to catch where the car is going?"

"Come, I will drive you there if you want,"

I couldn't say anything back as he offered to drive me to where they went.

 

.

 

"You don't need to do this," I walked right behind him. My voice was louder than I intended. "Seriously," I shrugged but he was already in his car. "I could just walk, you know."

He chuckled again, and it became my favorite thing. His face when his lips curl up in a simple smile accompanied by his chuckle. "It is on my way anyway."

With hesitation, I opened the back door, but his voice reached me. "You're not planning on sitting on the back, are you?"

I am.

Because if I sat next to you it will be the end of me.

"Come here," He looked over his shoulder as he pointed at the front seat. "You're going to make me look like a driver to you if you sat behind me,"

 

.

 

I was silent during the entire ride.

I was looking at everything but to my left. I was thinking and convincing myself that Baekhyun is not just right next to me, so I won't be nervous. But, haha! Whatever it is I do, I was sweating from nervousness.

I blinked and dared to look at his side, but I caught a glimpse of his hands over the driving wheel. I smiled.

He was tapping with one finger a certain rhythm.  

His hands were as elegant as his eyes and voice. They were pretty, and I've never thought that hands would be seen as pretty or unpretty.

But I know that I want to touch them.

Oh. I am being weird again.

 

.

 

 

I didn't thank him when we reached the destination.

 

.

 

I tried to sneak in, but another hard- guard was blocking me no matter what I say. I told him it is my mom inside. I even mentioned Mr. Kim's name but this guard didn't even move a muscle.

He told me he had orders.

I bet it is all about Mrs. Kim. I feel she sensed that I know about her.

20 minutes passed as I was sitting in the bench near the entrance of the studio.

I gave up and left.

I didn't want to go back home.

I went walking for the place I am working at.

 

.

 

3:45 pm

I kept looking at my watch.

Mom didn't even call.

I think they're done now.

They won't take forever for wedding photo-shoots, right?

I sighed.

Once I felt the vibration in my pocket, I dried my wet-from-washing-dishes hand against my pants and got it out but it was a mail. It was not a call from my mom.

I closed my eyes. "I shouldn't be this frustrated,"

I heard someone calling my name. I walked out of the kitchen immediately. It was the boss. She told me they're short in hand and I must help in the cashier or serving the tables. It was okay with me so I did it right away.

I walked from here to there, taking these people's orders and giving that table their food.

 

.

 

4:39 pm

"Haneul, go to table no. 12."

I nodded and walked to the table near the window. There was a couple sitting there. They were kissing, and I can hear the voices they make.

I made a disgusted expression.

I stood right next to them, arms-crossed, waiting for them to end their lovey-dovey activity and notice that I am there to take their orders.

The girl giggled as the boy whispered something in her ears, but she stopped when she saw me. I forced a smile. "Can I take your orders?"

The couple cleared their throats, and the girl spoke first. "What should I take, honey?"

I wanted to throw up and laugh so loud at the same time when I saw the boy. His face changed when he saw me.

It was the boy I saw in the bathroom yesterday. The boy who was in the middle of a ual with another girl. The girl with a curly hair was reciting the orders and she didn't notice what her boyfriend was doing. He was clearly cursing internally for meeting me.

"I see that you have another girl," I didn't know why I said that. "Broke up with that girl from yesterday already?"

I see that he was putting his index finger on his lips to shush me. His girlfriend looked at me and then back at him. "Mingyu?" the girl said with narrowed eyes.

Mingyu exhaled and inhaled. He pursed his lips in a line and looked at my name card. "Hi, Haneul,"

He seemed a little angry. The girl's face changed. "Do you know her?"

"No, he doesn’t but he does know other girls other than you," The girl looked at me like someone who stole her family's legacy.

"What does it mean?" The girl started shaking. She stood and slapped him right in the face. "I knew it. That explains the name you gave me in your phone,"

"It's not like you think, Jina!"

"I AM NOT JINA, I AM MARI! YOU !"

And their relationship collapsed just in front of my eyes.

I saw them arguing and then the girl left.

I looked at him and shrugged. "Ops!"

 

.

 

I continued my shift, but the boy didn’t leave. He stayed there in his place talking through the phone the moment that girl left. I went for table no. 11, 9, 2 and the boy still didn't move his .

I went to him. "If you're not going to order anything, please leave."

He sighed and rested his face on his hand. "I didn't know you work here,"

"If you're trying to open up a conversation, you're speaking to the wrong person." I bowed and walked away. I heard a chair crack against the floor and I felt his hand on mine. I widened my eyes.

How dare he?

I took my hand right away. "What do you think you're doing?" I looked around and then back at him. "Please, don't create a problem. Sit your down and eat your food, or leave."

"I would," He bit his lips. "But may I ask why-"

I was working, and I was finally distracted from thinking of mom and Baekhyun when I heard familiar voices. I blinked in shock as I turned to look at the people who just enter.

It was Yeonhee's fake friends, and among them stood Joohee.

I need to disappear.

They mustn't see me.

I took Mingyu, the probably 180cm tall boy, as a shield from the girls.

They mustn't see me here, working.

I held his t-shirt and pulled him toward me, so I can be completely blocked from the girls' sight.

I succeeded, but my heart is still beating so hard. I didn't know they would startle me like this. I didn't know I would be afraid to be caught.

"Hey, what are you doi-" The boy spoke but I shushed him. "Don't move,"

"What!" he was still loud.

I looked up at him and pointed at my lips. "Shush!"

He cocked his head in confusion. He looked over his shoulder and saw the group of girls and a smirk appeared on his face.

He bit his lips and pushed me backwards. "HEY," The almost got me caught, but I end up falling onto a red sofa and he followed. He came on top of me and his face was so close to mine.

The adrenaline increased and it was pumping in every vessel. "WHAT THE FUC-" I shouted, ready to kick him right in his belly, but he dared to put his disgusting, filthy index finger on my lips to hush me.

"You don't want them to find you work here, do you?" his hand was right next to my neck. "Well, I would get up and tell them you-" He was about to stand up and drag me as he held my hand again, but I stopped him. I held his collar and let out a weak please.

I hated me for it.

"Then, stay still." He smiled. His eyes were pouring in mine. "Haneul," he pronounced my name like he is enjoying saying it.

I wanted to push him away. I wanted to scream in his face 'don't take advantages of the situation'. However, we both were unseen by the girls, thanks to him. 

 


[AN: I wrote this chapter so quickly, but I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed while writing it!
I am liking this MingyuXHaneul moment so much, even though I wrote so quickly and didn't make it more detailed!
I need your comments guys!]