019

Reach For The Sky

 

019 

 

“Hello?” I answered when my phone vibrated in my hand. 

“Ahm, mom said where you are, that she wants you here.” Yeonhee awkwardly said through the slow loud music. 

“Coming,” I said as I rolled my eyes. 

 

.

 

The word exhausted doesn’t even describe my current state. 

I faked a smile as I stood right before my mom. A fake smile that she returned effortlessly. She said under her breathe. “Where the hell have you been?”

The smile was exhausting me even more. “Out? Because I am ing tired?”

“Tired?” She asked, surprised. “We didn’t even give her her gifts yet.”

We did, mom, we did. 

“I am just so tired. I called Wonwoo but his phone is busy,”

“Oh, I see you’re finally getting familiar with the house staff,”

I wanted to say he is not. The way mom refers to these people as only workers just frustrate me. She is acting like she has never been working in someone else’s house before. 

“Mom.”

Her fake smile disappeared as she suddenly recalled something. She held me by the arm and drew me closer to her. “You’re gonna apologize to Hana, and her friends.”

“Who the hell is Hana?”

She pursed her lips. “Lower your voice, they’re gonna hear you.”

I shook my head. “No one’s gonna hear me through this disgusting music, I assure you,”

“You called them,” She quoted in the air with her fingers. “Pathetic, empty-headed es.”

I narrowed my eyes as mom continued clarifying what happened, as if secretly thinking it is all my fault and I am a ed up kid who curses at people for no reason as a hobby. “You also said ‘balls’.”

“Yes, they had no balls to talk back, they only can talk when no one’s there.” I said as I looked at that pathetic girl Hana who was now looking at me. I recognized her. She had Hana written in her face along with the word stupid. 

“And I am not going to apologize,” I looked at the ceiling and laughed. “I don’t know how exactly you knew about this, but-“

“How I knew about this is not important, Haneul, you’re going to go there, say you’re sorry,”

“Say sorry for what?” 

“For being rude.”

“Rude?” 

Mom is not actually doing this. Not after what I’ve been through this night. It was already ed up, I don’t need mom to finish it and add a cherry on top. 

“Yes,” She looked around as to see if someone’s around and listening. “I don’t want anyone thinking that whatever is wrong with you is because you’ve grown up without a father.”

I forze. 

“Everyone is already talking about you and how impolite and uncivilized you are. You are easily distinguishable that you’re not from here, thanks to your attitude.”

“Mom?” My eyes were hot, and I can’t ing help it. She is not going to use that and she is not actually opening this sensitive subject in here, so carelessly. 

“What if I grow up without a father?”

She sighed, as if I didn’t get the point. As if my purpose now was to ruin her night. 

I sometimes think why she treat me like this and never do it to Yeonhee. 

We’re all girls. 

“Again, it’s easy peasy. You go there, talk to them, like nothing happened-“

“But it happened.” I blinked away the tears. “Mom, they were talking bad about you, which whoever delivered the story to you decided to exclude, and I couldn’t stand it.”

Something changed in her, it was only for a second, and mom was back. “Don’t you think I do know that people are talking behind my back? Don’t be ridiculous, Haneul.”

“I am not,”

“No, in fact, you are. You’re being childish, and even spoiled.” She shook her head, reciting what was told to her. “Being hot-tempered and agitated at the simplest things.”

“You taught me to stand for myself, mom.” I pointed at Yeonhee with my eyes. “You taught me not to be a spoiled kid who cry when someone hit them or take their things.” 

“Do you call this standing for yourself?” She let out a laugh, small and readily vanished. “Having no manners.”

Yeah, I am ready, totally ready to have this conversation right here, between hundreds of strangers and people I want to murder. 

“I am done.” I said as I was about to exist the room, but mom stopped me. “Wait, I am not done. I want you to tell me what’s between you and Mrs. Kim’s son-“

“SERIOUSLY MOM?” 

She was smiling, like she said nothing. Like she didn’t nearly kill me with her full of thorns words. 

My chest was heaving and if I stayed here for a minute I would definitely cry. 

 

.

 

The parking lot. 

I headed there. 

There was no one down there, thank god.   

I sat in the only bench near the elevator. 

It was cold, I forgot to take my coat and I am too lazy to go up and take it. 

I looked blankly at the car in front of me. 

I threw my heels and I am barefoot. 

I sat for a few minutes, thinking of everything and nothing at once. 

I think of everything that happened to me in these few months.

The day mom was married to Mr. Kim to this day. 

I think and I think, and I started listening to my own cries. 

Tears flowing from my cheeks. 

Tear after tear.

Tear after tear. 

They will not stop, even if tried. 

They flowed like a river.

This wasn’t my plan to spend the party night Baekhyun invited me to. 

It’s nothing like I planned or even imagined. 

I didn’t picture me crying, alone, in a bench in the parking lot, waiting for Wonwoo to come and pick me. 

Something in my chest hurt. 

Like I wanted to rip it out of me and throw it away, in order to feel better, at least a bit. 

I burst in tears even more as they echoed in the empty place. 

My head hurts, but I can’t stop crying. 

If someone asked me why I am crying, I will not be able to answer. 

I don’t know why I am crying. 

“What the hell am I doing?” 

But I couldn't stop. 

Pained cries. Sharp breathes. Wet cheeks. And a pair of shaky hands. 

I covered my mouth as I heard a far noise. 

I don’t want anyone to see me crying. 

I continued crying silently, internally hoping that no one will see me.

I look pathetic, I know it. 

But I was snapped of my drama as I heard a smashing sound. It was too loud. Something was crashing. I stood, alarmed. 

I wiped the tears from my cheeks as I walked, bare foot, toward the sound that increased. 

“HEY, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?” 

I heard a male voice, and another one followed. “I told you not to come with me, but you insisted.” He seemed so relaxed and his friend was freaking out. 

Another smash, and another. 

The sound of metal against metal. 

Very unpleasant.

“JONGIN, YOU HAVE TO STOP NOW!”

“You need to stop, or I will turn to you,”

“JESUS, I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE DOING THIS JUST AFTER YOU GOT OUT OF PRISON!”

I narrowed my eyes as I followed the voices, walking a few meters away from the elevator and finally found two guys next to a car. 

One was holding a metal baseball bat and hitting a car, and the other one was turning left and right and trying to stop him. 

“You always forget that I don't give a anymore.”

I widened my eyes as I recognized the car. 

It was Baekhyun’s. 

“HEY,”

Something inside me said. ‘What? You’re going to stop them? What if they turned to you and ended with that bat? Besides, wouldn't it be a good revenge to see His car getting smashed right in front of your eyes?’

But the money put in that car made my heart squeeze as witnessing it being cracked. 

I started running toward them. “STOP THAT, YOU !” 

I found myself standing next to the car, and next to the guy doing nothing. The other crazy guy was on top of the car, smiling. “Hey, what the hell are you doing?” I tried to stop him as I climbed the car without further thinking. 

The other guy was probably anxious that I would do something to the called Jongin, which I did. I didn’t know when I got this strength, but I did actually push him from the car. 

“WHAT THE MAN?” 

I was now standing on the car as the skinny guy was on the floor. He winced but looked at me and asked me who I was. I was shocked that this will be the question he will give to someone who just threw him from the car to the floor. 

“It’s none of your business, and you need to-“

But he interrupted me. “I need to know the name of the girl who I will ask to deliver my greetings to Byun Baekhyun,”

I blinked. 

He did that on purpose? 

I thought they will rub the car. 

Well, I was so stupid to come and do this, like, what if they took me with them. I mean, the guy just got out of prison. 

“You idiot, get up!” His friend helped him stand as he urged him to leave. 

“Wait, I want to see his face, it’s been a long time, man!” 

I saw the security running toward us. “HERE, HERE,” I waved at them. “HEY, DO NOT ING MOVE! YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!”

He laughed and waved at me as he walked with his friend. “This girl is so funny,”

What’s so funny about me, you dickhead?

I blushed when I saw Baekhyun and Souji and some other friends along with the security. Some of the security ran after them, and the others asked me about what happened. I told them and I turned to Baekhyun. “He told me to deliver his greetings to you, I think he knows you.”

Baekhyun’s eyes were on the smashed glass. He approached as he took a note. [ NEVER FORGET ] It reads.

Once he looked at it, he told the security who were investigating me not to follow him. “It’s okay, it’s not a problem.”

“What? The guy literally smashed your car for no reason,”

Baekhyun shrugged with a light smile. “It’s my mom’s birthday and I do not want to ruin her day,” 

“Ah, you’re so kind, Baekhyun, people will take advantage of you.” A male friend said, and Souji was fuming. “This carelessness is what I hate about you,”

From what I saw in his face, it wasn’t carelessness, it was the opposite. I am sure Baekhyun knows that guy well. 

Souji looked at me and asked me to describe the man again, but Baekhyun said that there is no need. 

“Are you actually going to let this happen without at least telling the police?”

I didn’t know why would Souji be mad when not even Baekhyun is. 

It was like he didn’t care, but due to his tightly gripped fist and his tensed jaw, I can see he did.

He is mad, but I bet my it’s not because his range was smashed to ashes. 

 

.

 

I didn’t go up as the others did, and I realized very late that I wasn’t wearing any shoe. Some glass cut my foot fingers and my leg was bleeding, but I didn’t notice right away.

“You’re bleeding,” Baekhyun said as he stood next to the bench I was sitting on. I looked at my leg, and I saw a river of blood. It didn’t hurt until he told me. 

“It doesn't matter,” I shrugged as I remember the things that hurt more. “It doesn't even hurt.”

“Why did you go there bare-foot?” He asked, and I can sense some scolding. 

I looked at him, and I seriously want to tell him to shut up, that he is the reason behind everything wrong today. If he didn’t invite me, I won’t be hurt, instead I would be tossing here and there in my bed. I wanted to tell him to go to his girlfriend before I smash his beautiful face. 

“No, why did you go there at all?”

So many answers came to my head, and I was hesitant to which to choose. But, I couldn’t help the building urge of putting something in his mouth and shut him up. Something inside me wanted to thank that skinny guy for doing that. 

I frowned. “Do I need to explain why I do things to people just because they ask me to? I don’t think so.” 

And as if he didn't listen to what I just said, because he spoke right away. “I mean, you don’t know these guys, they were smashing my car, and there was glass, like, everywhere,” He raised his eyebrows, and I’ve got to admit that I have never seen like this. “Yet you voluntarily went there with no shoes,”

“Well, I couldn't stand seeing a 60.000.000 won go to waste and be silent.” It was a moment of silence as I carried on. “Let’s discuss how you let him go away, unharmed.”

He sighed. “But why bare-foot, I can’t understand,”

Why he cares about this unimportant fact. “Who will stand walking in this ty shoes for hours and not wish that he wasn’t even born? I took it off because I was simply drained!” 

“You could’ve remained where you are and never moved if you are drained as you claim!” 

Am I listening to this? Like, for real? Byun Baekhyun is actually scolding me like I was his little daughter who came home very late. And for what? Not wearing my heels I wore especially for him because he invited me? 

I tried to suppress my temper that will burst in any moment, and Baekhyun will be killed right next to me. 

“Let’s not talk about me, let’s talk about how you let him go. Are you an idiot?” I was now standing and facing him. “He ruined your car and all you can do is let him go, like a coward.” 

“Well, I am not in Oprah and I need some suggestions to improve how I handle my life.” 

Who talked about your life, you idiot. You ! 

“Okay, then do not ask me about things and expect to answer,” I pointed at him, like actually point at his chest with my finger. “You said it, I am not in Oprah for an advice how to live my life.”

He yelled. “YOU COULD HAVE GOT HURT!”

I blinked, scoffed and yelled back. “WHAT IF I DID?”

I can feel his breathing changing, uncontrolled, and angry, which only made me confused. “I did get hurt, but I didn’t even care.” It’s not the first time. 

I narrowed my eyes in uncertainty. “Why do you?” 

The eye-contact was electrical and challenging. I was mad, and I wanted to say so many things. I was shaking, and despite how nonsensical this conversation was, I seriously wanted to go in. 

“I seriously don’t understand why you’re angry,” I smiled bitterly. “I am the one who should be angry, not you!”

I wanted to tell him it’s all because of him. 

Everything. 

“You?” 

“Yes, me!”

“And why is that?”

“Why you always ask why?”

“Because I simply want to know!”

I seriously, seriously want to squeeze his face. 

I am fuming now because of him. 

I thought Mom and Mingyu would be the only ones ruining my mood and getting on my nerve, but I have never been this frustrated. 

None of us spoke. 

Just glaring into one another’s eyes until I heard a car’s engine. 

It was Wonwoo. 

With difficulty, I broke the eye contact first. 

I took my heels in one hand and my bag on the other one. 

 

.

 

“You’re late,”

“I am here because Yeonhee called.”

Oh, so it’s not because I did. Okay.

I was in the car, stealing glances at Baekhyun who was standing before the elevator. I recited what happened in my head.

I was the one who should be angry, not him. 

He has a girlfriend that is not me, so yeah. 

“Oh crab,”

What the hell I am thinking? 

I am crazy.

“As I see, you’re not in the mood?”

I rolled my eyes at Wonwoo’s poor skills in creating a conversation. “I have never been in the mood,”

Yeonhee was the one who got out of the elevator as Baekhyun got in. She got in the car and it moved. “Wait, what about mom and Mr. Kim?”

Yeonhee said as she took off her heels as well. “They will go separately.” I thanked god internally as I started removing the glass from my leg. 

 

 


AN: I am proud, because I wrote this chapter in an hour and a half! 
But I felt like I fear that I will not have the time in the future to write this, and since I feared I will forget some important details, I decided to stay up and write!

You guys have two chapters updated after nearly one month away with no updates at all!

Enjoy it guys and tell me your thoughts! 

1. About what baekhyun did to Haneul.

2. Who do you think this guy is? Why did he do it? 

I want to see so many comments!