005

Reach For The Sky

UPDATED: 290915


 

19 June 2014

12:00 pm

I heard a weird conversation.

Yeonhee was talking to someone on the phone and she was almost crying.

I don't know what's wrong, but I just couldn’t walk.

I really wanted to know what is it.

She collapsed to the floor and started crying once the call ended.

As I was trying to go downstairs without being noticed, she somehow caught me.

She lifted her eyes and met mine.

Now she knows that I overheard her, but she doesn’t know that I didn't get anything out of it.

 

12:12pm

I left the house. I needed a new charger, that's why.

I don't know why it chose today out of all the days to burn.

I can't stay with no phone.

I walked and walked.

I asked people about a phone shop in the area and I finally went there.

I bought it, but I felt it would be a waste if I got back this fast.

The weather is nice. My outfit is nice. And I thought about getting a job around her.

You know, so whenever I get bored, or whenever I needed an excuse to stay away from that house, I will go to my workplace.

It wasn't hard to find a café called who's short in staff.

They didn't need much. My name, my age, my ID number and my phone number. They asked about the salary and I said it is not a problem.

The woman managing the place asked if it is okay if I started right away and I said you're welcome.

I worked there for 7 hours, then they released me.

That woman thanked me so much, she said I was like a gift sent from god to her.

Poor woman.

 

.

 

10:23 pm

After I took a rest for half an hour, I went downstairs to get me some water. I found mom and Yeonhee in the living room. They were having catalogs everywhere and I guess they were choosing my mom's dress.

It was over the sofas, the coffee table, even on the floor there was a few.

"This will look so good on you," I heard mom say to Yeonhee.

I think it is for both of them.

I rolled my eyes.

I didn't see that someone was rushing and bumped into me.

He was about to enter the kitchen and I was about to exit.

Bam.

The glass fell out of my hand and it shattered everywhere. Mom and Yeonhee were looking at me and the boy I just bumped into.

He was so taken aback and he was so terrified. "Are you okay?" he kept stuttering and touching me and trying to push me away from the glass so it won't hurt me. I was sure he will get wounded.

He knelt to collect it, but I stopped him. "Are you okay?"

He was strangely nervous.

I didn't recognize his face.

I don't know why he is in the house. He is near my age, or even younger. I can say that.

Is he a friend of Yeonhee or something? Is he a brother I didn't know about?

He was actually shaking. His hands were trembling and I had to hold them. "Stop, don’t-" he was blindly collecting the glass. It could've cut through his fingers but instead, they did cut my palm as I tried to prevent him.

He blinked so much and looked at me worriedly. He looked like he just stabbed me himself in the eyes by mistake. "Oh my god, you're bleeding, are you okay? I am so sorry, I'm seriously sorry, I didn-"

He is speaking so fast.

"It's nothing," I managed to say, even though I had so much to say.

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry," He stood and started bowing. There was no need to though.

I wanted to tell him to shut up. Stop saying that word.

Mom and Yeonhee rushed to our direction. A servant came from nowhere and she started cleaning. She politely asked me to step aside and I did. Another one came and she was horrified at the sight of blood. I think she was supposed to help me with my hand. But she shouted my name like I was a royal prince and I shan't get hurt. As if it's going to threaten my kingdom.

It is just a cut. God.

Yeonhee disappeared and came with a first aid kit. She asked again the same annoying question I hate to hear. "Are you okay?"

"God, I am fine, it is just a goddamn cut," I rolled my eyes and snapped at Yeonhee. I turned to the boy. "And you,"

He looked insulted when I snapped at Yoenhee. "Stop apologizing, would you?"

I eyed him. "You did nothing wrong. I didn't see where I walking. I am the one who should be apologizing."

Suddenly, the innocence in his eyes was replaced by something else. He was looking at me like I ate his food or took what is his.

Yeonhee grabbed my hand and put some gauze around the wound. I took my hand. "Thank you, but I can do that myself." I held the first-aid kit with my other hand and disappeared.

I heard Yeonhee talking to the boy. "Wonwoo, are you hurt?"

 

.

 

10:34 pm

Wow. I thought it was a small cut. But now I think I should postpone swimming in the sea for a few days, or I should wear something in my hand to cover it.

It hurts.

 

.

20 June 2014

6:30 am

Mom waked me up as she opened the curtains.

I was sleeping on the floor.

I didn’t know how I end up sleeping when I was reading some comics.

"Get dressed, Haneul,"

I groaned.

"Come on, girl."

I hate it when someone's waking me up, because as I am waking up, that person will have the chance to wander in my room and take a peek at my things. I feel when someone walks freely in my room, even if this room wasn't my permanent one.

"I will. Please, mom, leave."

I heard her scoff along with her distinctive high-heels against the wooden floor. "You didn't unpack your things?"

It wasn't a question.

"Why?"

I stood. My head hurt. My eyes were blurry, but I managed to say. "Because, simply, I am not planning on staying here for too long?"

She scoffed and repeated. "Why?"

"I told you before,"

She crossed her arms and turned to look at me. "Yeah?"

"I don't like them, so I will leave you to live happily ever after here and I will head back to Seoul after the wedding. Everyone's happy, including me."

Mom was silent for a few moments, then she let out a nosey laugh. I fought back not to roll my eyes. She thinks I am not serious.

I am.

The evidence that she doesn't take me seriously that she only shook her head with an amused smile on her lips and pointed at my bag. "We're going to have breakfast at one of Minjoon's friend's restaurant. A few of his VIP friends will attend,"

Now. I roll my eyes.

"Dress up. If you have nothing proper, borrow from Yeonhee."

Oh, yeah, I will.

"I will come to check on you. Your make-up, your hair, your dress. Everything," she pointed a finger at me. "I'm warning you, this is very important to me, don't ruin it."

She thinks I ruin things. She thinks I do this because I like sabotage. She thinks I do it because I don't want her to be happy.

I said as I close the door after her. "I won't."

 

.

 

7:01 am

I didn't know it would be so tiring to pick up a dress or an outfit for that breakfast. I mean, why eat at a restaurant when each of whomever is coming have a house that's enough for like 100 people?

Ah, rich people.

Love to spend money on nothing.

There is food in the house, why go out?

I realized that I need to do a little shopping. I think none of my clothes is 'proper' for these wealthy people.

I had a mini skirt. I think it would work.

I pulled a denim shirt from my bag, and I took a moment to get out my mini leather skirt. I wore a pair of nearly worn-out white Adidas originals.

I was glad that the color is already showing. It's only been two days and I get a little tanner.

It was barely noticeable though, but it made me happy.

Maybe this was the only thing that made me happy these days, aside from having the sea next to the house I'm staying in.

I tried so many accessories on. Only one fit the 'proper' look. I didn’t put any make up. I only applied some mascara and a light lipstick.

I made sure I had money in my purse, and my phone was full, in case I decided not to head back to the house after the breakfast.

 

.

 

7:32 am

We were all in the car.

Mr. Kim thought it won't be necessary for the driver to take us there. He thought it would be wonderful to drive us there himself. As the father of a family.

I didn't care. I want my food. I am hungry.

Mom approved my outfit, as if she's finally seen my efforts. Before I get in the car, I glimpsed Yeonhee talking to someone. It was that pale, black-haired boy with pretty eyes from yesterday.

Is he coming with us, as the girl's boyfriend or something?

Who is he?

Does he live here?

After she smiled at him and he smiled at her, she came and got into the car.

I really wanted to ask who is that guy.

 

.

 

As we were in our way, I spent my time looking at the city. It is pretty in here.

I only saw Jeju Island in picture but I've never been here. it is even better than pictures. It's nature. Green. Good infrastructure.

Everything I saw deserved to be seen again, so I thought I should take a walk from time to time.

I put my hands in my lap. I stared at them, thinking.

I averted my eyes to Yeonhee, but I didn't look at her eyes, I looked at her thighs. And then I looked at mine.

We were different.

So different.

She was white, too pale.

I sought being tanned.

She was feminine.

I am not sure what I am.

She was one hundred seventy something cm.

I am barely 160 cm.

She had her hair long, one color. Black.

I had it my shoulders length, three colors. Black roots, golden and brown.

She is rich, educated, well-spoken, pretty.

I am not rich, not as educated, hate to talk to people, and not as pretty.

She is nice.

I am not.

She seeks for the family to be together.

I don't.

She wants the family to be happy.

I want my mother to be happy.

She wants everyone to be together, and she tries.

I don't and I try to make it otherwise.

I caught myself that I was staring too long at her thighs when she blinked at me and then smiled.

 

.

 

8:05 am

Apparently, everyone was here as they started eating.

The restaurant was empty. We were the only customers.

It is my first time doing this. It was so exciting; I got the chills.

We were 3 families.

Our family, oh god, I can't believe I am saying this, the Chois, and the Lees.

The Chois: came the father, older daughter and a son. Their son was h.o.t. But he was too old, like 30, or something.

The Lees: Mother, father, two sons. Minho (28) and Minwoo (18).

 They're hot as well. Or let's say the way they were dressed made them look like that. Minwoo seems to know Yeonhee. He greeted her and kept smiling at her whenever their eyes met.

I looked odd. Amongst them, I really did.

They all looked classy and chic, while I appeared as a hipster. Like I didn't value the people whom I am sitting with.

I tried not to think about it. If I did my head will hurt.

We were in sum 11, but suddenly, someone shouted from the door. "You missed me right?"

A women in her thirties, I assume, approached our table. She was dressed just as luxurious as the others. She was cheerful and I immediately liked her.

"She and her husband possess lands in Europe, Asia, and Africa. She's considered as Korea's most influential woman, can you believe that?" Yeonhee whispered in my ears. "She scares me,"

Don't know how Yeonhee still offers her services to me, even though I didn't ask. But that made me like her even more.

I thought she wasn't married. She looked so young and full of life.

She hugged everyone, including my mom and me. I find it weird but I loved it. The people appears to love her as well.

Apparently, she was away in Europe for two weeks, and she came this morning. She thought it would be a good idea to come and surprise her friends since she's told them she will come on July first.

She said she can't miss Mr. Kim's wedding. I see the news of my mom's wedding is already everywhere.

This restaurant belongs to Mr. Choi. It was his daughter's idea since he loved cooking since he was a student in university.

Everyone complimented his restaurant; mom did as well. Surprisingly, mom is getting along with these people so well. It is shocking.

She can speak the way they do. She is aware of a lot of their interests, aware of clothes brands, and aware of things I didn't know she would care about.

As I see her now, she is one of them.

"I don't see your son, I've told him he is invited as well," Mr. Choi interrupted my thoughts as he asked Mrs. Kim.

"I thought he would be here, but you know him, Mr. Choi,"

Both of them chuckled and I sipped from my cup.

I glimpsed at Yeonhee's direction. She was texting someone under the table. Once she did, a peep came from one the Lee sons. The one sitting in front of me. The one who smiled at her whenever he had the chance.

I examined the two and chuckled.

Mrs. Kim looked toward me and blinked. "Oh, Minjung, your daughter inherited your beauty for sure."

Oh, this woman just proved that she was blind. What beauty she's talking about? Besides, I don't look like mom. I look nothing like my mom.

Mom chuckled and said thanks. The woman's eyes were still on me.

 

.

 

It was time for some tea after the breakfast. I was busy with my phone.

The older daughter of Choi was in a serious discussion with her hottie brother and Minho. Mr. Choi, Mr. and Mrs. Lee, and mom's husband were having a warm conversation. I wanted to include myself in it, but when I caught that Minwoo and Yeonhee were missing, I couldn't help the excitement that went over me.

These two are dating.

I am ing sure.

I shouldn't be so enthusiastic about finding out about this fact. I know

I looked at my mom, she was too busy to look at me, and I think it is okay to do so.

I got out, my eyes were looking for these two with a creep smile on my face.

Instead, I overheard a conversation.

I am doing this lately.  

I think it is a conversation exclusively I am not supposed to hear.

"I told you, she is as pretty as they say she is,"

"That . She must have done something to him. I don't know, maybe she bewitched him or something. I mean, do you remember how hated women? He couldn't look into his wife's eyes for, what, ten years?"

"Yeah, she made him hate women. But he just can't fall in love with this one,"

"Of course, she wants his money. What else would she want? Do you think she could fool me? She can fool him with those eyes of hers,"

The woman laughed evilly and I shivered. It was Mr. Kim and she was talking to someone on the phone. "That can fool everyone, but not me."

I really don't know what to do.

I hid behind a pillar. My heart was beating so fast.

"I know what to do with people like her. Don’t worry, I got her,"

I wondered for a moment. What if she knew I heard the bomb?

I mean, she was smiling and hugging us and now she is talking behind our back?

I might believe it if someone said that Mrs. Lee did it, but not the cheerful, cool lady who just popped out of nowhere.

I am scared and I suddenly need to talk to Yeonhee.

Or mom.

Or Mr. Kim, I don't know.


 

AN: I updated fiver chapters in less than a week, that is something I've never done before. 

tumblr_nuaim9Jtuj1uxnq16o1_r1_540.gif

I hope you like the story so far! Tell me what you think!

Thanks for the 10 subbies, and the 4 upvoters!

You don't know what this did to me. 

So, what do you think will happen next? 

Who do you think Haneul will meet first? Baekhyun or Mingyu? 

I am so excited for their appearance! I am so excited about their characters that I've weaved!

I am so excited about this story and I want to keep writing. 

Wait up for next chapter! 0.0