009

Philocaly

Philocaly:

The sound of the bell is heard all around school, the clanging of the metal. Wonwoo is walking beside me his arms wrapped around my shoulders once more, our steps synchronizing together. 

The car is already parked outside of the driveway, the same driver waiting inside. He exits the car walks forward to the closest car door and he holds it open for us. 

"Sir, please sit down." he gestures inside the car. I tuck my head down and carefully enter the car, I always have a hard time getting into cars due to my height, but Wonwoo seems to be able to slip in no problem.

"Where to, Mr. Wonwoo?" he asks.

"Um, Samsung. I guess?" Wonwoo replies.

The driver lifts a thumb and steps on the pedal driving away from the school and into the main road. 

"You know, you don't have to do this. I don't need a phone, I wouldn't have a use for it anyways."

He shakes his head, his face into his palm. His other hand is slipping into his pocket grabbing out a small, rectangular, black thing. I'm assuming it's a cellphone.

"What are we going to do about you?"

He clicks on a rectangular button, and the phone comes to life, lighting up the screen. He swipes his finger across and smaller square things are on. 

"This is called a touch screen smartphone, all you have to do is touch it and it will follow your commands. Smart, because it is accessible to things like applications, games, phone, text, camera, all sorts of items."

"That's quite a lot." 

"Here try to use it." he hands over and his warmth is still left over it, it spreads over to my hands and I try to follow what he showed me.

I click on the rectangular button and the screen lights up, I drag my finger across the screen and the screen pops up. 

"There, you've got it." I give the phone back to him.

"So, I'll be able to talk to you on that?"

He nods his head lightly.

"We can talk about our problems until 12:00 AM midnight about the es in our class."

I scrunch my lips and move backward, weirded out by the comment he just made.

"Haha, excuse my language." 

"Your language? No, there is nothing wrong about your language but we don't have any female dogs in our class." I tell him curiously.

He chuckles his hand up to his chest, his laugh is hearty like usual, loud and joyful.

"Man, you don't know what b-i-t-c-h means?"

I shake my head.

"Why is it an insult?"

His eyes widen and he purses his lips together.

"It's just profanity."

"Ahh, so would it offend you if I called you a.... ?"

"Yeah.. wait what?"

I look outside the window blocking my ears from the annoying rants of Wonwoo, and I giggle lightly. 

---

We enter through the automatic glass doors and a showcase of all those phones Wonwoo was describing are around everywhere along with what looks like computers and televisions.

A customer service worker approaches us and smirks at the both of us.

"Hello, welcome to Samsung and how may I help you?" 

"Hello, may we buy your latest phone?"

"Oh okay, yes you may." 

He walks over to a few varieties.

"The latest phone we have is the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge."

"We'll take it." 

I tap Wonwoo on his shoulders and he turns around.

"What?"

"Let's just go we can do this next time."

He shrugs, and rotates once more back to the employee. 

"I'll pay."

The man gives us an eyesmile and they walk off leaving me behind.

---

Wonwoo goes to what's called a service provider or something like that, and apparently he paid for a whole six months of unlimited talking and texting and some sort of LTE network. 

He taught me how to text, call, open up some social network sites, review notes, all the things I need to know about smartphones. It sounded like an exaggeration but I didn't want to ruin his teacher moment, I let him do so. 

---

It's 10:30 at night and it's been about 2 hours since Wonwoo dropped me off at home, he brought me out to eat, he told me about his life and his family who owns a really well-known business. Rich kid.

I'm trying to investigate this new found technology of mine and I am really interested in what it could do. I open up an application called, "Contacts" and an individual name is in sitting there in the list. "Jeon Wonwoo". 

My finger lingers around the short space for a while until a ding notifies me about a text. My eyes move above and find his name and a short little message above.

Good night Mingyu. Sweet dreams! Don't spend too long tapping on your phone, you will strain your eyes!

I simper, pleased with his text message. I click on it and I reply back.

Good night! Thank you for the smartphone. I'll pay you back somehow.

I stare at the screen, waiting for his response and it seems like he too is watching his phone. He answers instantly.

Don't even think about that. Just enjoy the phone!

I send him a smiley emoticon is what it's called. I set the phone back onto the ground next to me, glaring at the ceiling. I am thankful for his gift, it's been quite a long time since I was given a gift.

Technology is advancing and conquering the world, and maybe friendships are too. Advancing from the cold, selfish, needs of using someone else to their advantage. Maybe Wonwoo really wants to be friends.

I dawdle on my sleep for awhile the image of Wonwoo in my mind. I sigh, and my thoughts move on to my parents. They must be so proud of my achievements, and in the dark room, I tell myself in a hushed voice.

"Mom, dad, I think I just made a friend!"

I beam imagining that if my smile could reflect light, it would yearn to fight off the darkness, urging myself to start war, and drive the gloominess out of my heart and soul, slowly, until I could be human again...