010

Philocaly

Philocaly:

I sweep all the dust into the pan around the restaurant, cleaning every table, chair, as thorougly as possible. I work part-time jobs on the weekends, cleaning fast food restaurants, just basically anything that makes money.

I haven't been working here for too long, only 14 days worth of work. But, I really need the money. 

I put the broom into the cart full of cleaning equipment, I drift my eyes to the clock hanging up on the wall. 

5:30 PM.

Only 30 minutes until I am done with my shift. 

The bell rings signifying that a customer has come in. I look up to greet the customer as the boss instructed. 

"Hello welcome to--" I pause abruptly and find myself staring at a familiar face. Slim almond eyes, cold facial expression.

Wonwoo....

I grunt quietly avoiding his quiet gaze, my face blushes with embarassment. 

"Hi.. Mingyu."

I purse my lips tightly together, and tilt my head to the side. I walk away to the supply closet tidying all the equipment into their place. I walk over to the sink in the bathroom nearby and wash my hands clean.

When I go back to the tables, Wonwoo is already seated at a table munching into a hamburger. 

I am about to walk away but he catches me and calls out my name from behind.

"MINGYU!" 

I slowly rotate around to face his direction. He points over to the seat in front of him. I shake my head, he pouts in return. I sigh, rubbing my eyes and walk over to the seat, and sit down in front of him.

"Hey, you haven't been answering my calls or texts."

I yawn loudly, stretching my arms.

"I'm sorry, I've been working."

"On the weekend?"

I nod my head.

"Why?"

I shrug my shoulders.

"I need the money."

"Oh.." 

"Yep.."

"You want a burger, I can buy you one."

"No thanks." I deny his offer.

"When are you getting off?"

I look over at the clock.

"In 15 minutes, I can actually leave early if you want me to. I'll just need to talk to my boss."

He nods his head rapidly.

"Sure! Mr. Choi is waiting outside in the car. I can meet you there!"

I get up from my same and Wonwoo does the same, he picks up his burger and tray and sets it on top of the garbage bin. He walks towards the door, and waves happily at me, throwing a smile.

I grin back and walk into the employee's room to get changed.

---

I head over to Mr. Kwon's office bag ready in my hands. I knock on his door to let him know I'm coming in.

"Come in," the rough voice says.

I open the door to find the middle aged man sulking in his own office chair.

"Sir, I'll be leaving now."

His lips curve into a small smile.

"I'll walk you out." he rises from his seat and walks out. I follow him out the door and the cold wind is slapping my face, causing me to shiver.

I bow down to him and wave.

"Bye sir."

He waves back, I turn around to start walking towards the familiar car of Wonwoo's but I stop and turn to face Mr. Kwon.

"Um... Sir Kwon.. Do you mind if I ask something..?" I have my hand crossed and my heart is racing.

"Um.. Could you pay me in advance?" I ask suddenly. I need the money earlier this time.

"I apologize for asking such a shameful request. I've only worked for a short while but if needed to you can deduct the total from my pay at the end of the month. But, I really need this money, I can come after school if needed!" I tell him quietly.

I glance at him and he is scratching his chin.

"Huh? Advanced Payment?" 

I shake my head looking down at my feet, giggling.

"I-it's nothing! I didn't say anything!"

"Are you sure..? How much do you need?"

I look up and he has the money folded in his hands.

"Don't worry! I just came back from the bank." 

He holds out a $50.00 bill out to me and nudges it forward.

"Take it."

I beam at him, the tears pooling in my eyes and I bow multiple times.

"Thank you! Thank you so much sir!"

"You remind me of myself, there are hard times but there will always be light kid."

He pats my shoulder, and slowly moves it down sliding across my torso. 

"Before you go.. let me give you something..." he whispers slowly into my ear.

His hand is gliding down from my abdomen and down to my thighs.

My eyes widen and my grasp on the money loosens and I elbow him in the groin and push back. The paper is flying everywhere slowly falling on to the ground. 

Huh...

Mr. Kwon is on the ground scratching his knee and he is fuming, his face is bright red and he is gets up and heads towards me.

"WHAT THE ? YOU LITTLE BRAT, I PAY YOU IN ADVANCE AND THIS IS HOW YOU RETURN THAT?"

The tears that were once full of happiness have now turned in to agony. 

"YOU DARE HIT AN ADULT!" 

He takes hold of me by the wrists and clutches it tightly that it is leaving a mark. 

"LET'S TAKE YOU TO THE POLICE CENTER AND WE'LL SEE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELF!"

---

*flashback*

A clap of thunder from outside awakens me from my sleep. It's loud and overwhelming and I pull the blanket over my head. Clap after clap, I wince and whimper. The lightning would frighten my 7 year old self. 

Eventually, I can't take it and I scream as loud as possible. My parents barge into my room worried of what's happened.  

They sit on the edge of my bed and comfort me, and soothe me. Hushing me with their gentle voices and calming me down. Their arms wrapped around my head as I bawl my eyes out. 

Help me mom... dad...

I'm scared..