008

Philocaly

Philocaly:

Class proceeds on as usual until lunch. Period after period passing by, countless assignments being passed out from the front to the back, until the bell rings signalling that it's time to eat, if you have money to buy food that is.

Lunch is the only time of the day at school where I can truly be alone, I don't really have the cash to buy all the food served in the cafeteria. Fortunately, today my lunch is Wonwoo's delicious sandwich. 

I walk out of the class clutching the foil wrapped bun tightly in my hands. I take many steps around the hallways trying to lose myself for awhile as the other students are enjoying food. 

I don't seem to notice where I am going until a student crashes into me causing the sandwich to fly out of my hands, spilling onto the floor the minute it reaches the ground. 

"OH MY GOSH! I'M SO SORRY!" the female student pleads. 

"Ah no it's fine." I reassure her.

You ruined my lunch.

"I can pay to get you more food." she offers.

"No, it's okay. I have money." I lie.

"Please enjoy your day!" she bows down and takes off. I head over to the mess and clean it up, tossing it into the trash. 

I guess I ain't getting in my stomach today.

I linger around the hallway for a few more minutes until my name is shouted out behind me.

"HEY MINGYU!" a familiar voice yells. I turn around and find Wonwoo running towards my direction. He makes it to me, and slings his arm around my shoulder. I try to get his arm off of me but it seems he doesn't want it to.

"What's wrong? I just have my arm around your shoulder." 

I glare at his hand trying to attempt telekinesis. 

I don't have crappy powers.

"This is embarassing." I mumble.

"Embarassing? What's so embarassing about my arm around your shoulder?" he asks. 

"You're physically challenged." I reply quickly.

"Physically challenged? So are you saying I'm short?" 

I nod my head, it's true though. My height differs from his, I am a bit taller than he is.

"Fine, I'll admit it. But hey? Want to go eat some food?"

"N-" I am just about to start until I am interrupted.

"Nevermind, why did I ask? You'll just deny it either way. Come on, I have those sandwiches I made."

I can feel my eyes gleaming, I my tongue in hunger, I come back to my senses and find Wonwoo staring at me, oddly, just as if my face was messed up or something.

"Dude, quit it. That's weird." 

---

The air is cold up at the rooftop. The wind is chilly as it blows as the clouds gather above, preparing for rain. 

Wonwoo and I are sitting on top of the hard concrete, munching on our sandwiches together. No conversations are being made, just the sounds of bite after bite are heard through out the whole rooftop. 

He decides to break the silence, though still chewing on the bread and meat. 

"Do you always skip food?"

"Yeah,"

"That's not healthy, don't you have money for food?"

I shake my head.

"How about your friends, why don't they give you any money to spend?"

I force out a short snicker and his eyes are still on me, wondering why the sudden laugh.

"Simple, I don't have any friends. Well, at least now I do." 

"Oh, really?" he asks, surprised at the reply. 

"Yeah, I used to have friends. Though they were two faced and worthless." I tell him.

"That's unfortunate."

"Do you have a job at least?" he continues once more.

"Damn, you sound like.." I pause, unable to chew on my food.

"You okay?"

I nod my head, struggling to swallow the food in my mouth. After a few seconds of chewing, I'm able to ingest the food again.

"It's okay, I was just about to compare you to.. my mom." 

He pats my back lightly, smiling. I take bite after bite until I realize I have no more. Though, my stomach is still hungry for more. Wonwoo looks up from his sandwich and holds out his.

"Take it, and don't say no."

I gladfully pull the sandwich out of his hands and he smirks.

"Why don't you make more friends if you didn't have any?" 

I blow out a puff of air. 

"I don't know." I shrug.

"I guess... I don't really have the urge to make meaningless friendships, forced interactions with other people, and unnecessary conversations." I tell him, as a reply to his suggestion.

He clasps his hand together tightly making the sound as a clap, then he releases and points at me.

"Well you don't have to worry! I won't be a meaningless friend, I won't force you to interact with others, or make discussions that are unnecessary to you. You only need to talk to me!" 

"Hah! Sure." I snort.

"No it's true! I'll be one of the good friends you've had in awhile."

"Yeah, thanks." I retort. 

My eyes move from his to the ledge behind him and I am brought back to when he saved me, after my attempt at suicide. I purse my lips together and continue to eat, trying to retrace my thoughts away.

"So, can I still get you a phone?" 

"Fine, but not too high end so I won't be a bother to you."

"Hey," he slaps my elbow playfully. "Don't say that, we are friends now, you won't be a bother to me."

The edges of his mouth curve into a grin and his eyes do the same. 

"And then I can text you-"

"Text me? What's that?"

His eyes widen in surprise at my sudden curiosity by the term and he opens his mouth just about to say something but closes it again.

"You don't know what texting is?" 

I shake my head.

"Dude, it's 2015! Okay, it's like email except more instant and you will get a notification every time you are sent a text." 

"Oh.." 

He nods his head continuously.

"Yep,"

I finish my sandwich and get up to brush my hands getting rid of all the crumbs and doing the same to my pants. 

"Oh, there's something on your shirt." Wonwoo points to my shirt only to trace it up to my nose and he flicks it. He laughs and I chuckle as well. 

"YOU FELL FOR IT!" he can't contain the happiness and I can't do it either. I slap my thigh trying to stop myself. 

Soon, I am convinced that different people awaken different beasts inside you.