EIGHT

Call me, Dr. Park (BTS JIMIN FANFIC)
KIM DONGHYUN
 
"Oh, Jungkook-ssi. So, Jongsuk-ie is actually your brother?", I laughed to myself miraculously when I realised how fate was playing with us. 
 
It was such a coincidence that Jeon Jongsuk was also the young boy who picked up my coin back on the other day.
 
Staring at the boy who was sitting up on his bed while happily sipping to the orange juice which his brother had bought him, he smiled at me.
 
"Yeah noona! I am glad that you met my hyung. Hyung is a really nice guy and he's a policeman,"
 
I returned him with a smile as he then went on and on about how great Jungkook is, but checking the file on his desk, I read through the documents thoroughly before the smile soon turned into a frown. 
 
I looked back at Jungkook and he just nodded his head at me. Taking a seat next to Jongsuk's bed, I then asked,
 
"So Jongsuk-ah, how are you feeling today?"
"I feel great. Anyway noona, do you still remember the lucky coin I picked up the other day? I feel that it's giving me lots of luck lately as I can feel myself getting stronger day by day,"
 
Ruffling his hair, I chortled at his analogy, but to be honest, my heart sank deeply inside. 
 
"That's great to hear," I held onto his hand and patted on the back of it,
 
"Next time, get your hyung to bring you out more often to hunt for more of such pennies alright?"
"Ne! Hyung, you heard that?" He jerked his head at Jungkook.
 
"Yes, loud and clear," he replied and taking a few steps closer to him, he began tucking Jongsuk into bed. 
 
"Alright now, get some rest and save your energy to talk to eomma when she arrives later. Hyung will probably stop by here again once I clear the other cases on hand," Jungkook pushed his brother's fringe towards the back of his head and printed a soft kiss on his forehead. 
 
"Goodnight," I waved goodbye to the young fella and then left the ward along with Jungkook.
 
Once we stepped out of the ward, I stole a glance at him.
 
"Jungkook-ssi, your brother-"
"Donghyun-ssi, I know that it's way too fast, but can I ask you out on a date?"
 
I was taken by surprise by his sudden change in topic. However, I could tell that that's probably because he didn't want to talk about Jongsuk's condition. Hence, I only remained silent, raising an eyebrow at him. 
 
"It's alright if you feel uncomfortable with me. I m-mean I'm totally cool with-"
"Jungkook-ssi," I cut in to his words,
 
"You know what? You look extremely cute when you are all flustered like this," I gave him a genuine smile and taking his hand, I said to him,
 
"I'm more than happy to join you,"
 
"Asa!" Hearing this good news, he pumped his fist up into the air and I could see those eyes of his glistening with joy.
 
"I will let you know about the timing and venue again. But for now, I'll have to get going," he chirped and was just about to leave when I called him back.
 
"Wait, I haven't given you my number,"
"It's alright. I have it,"
"But how?"
 
"Only an idiot would leave this behind," he placed his hand into his pocket and fished out something to wave it in the air. 
 
"I'm sure Dr. Park will have many regrets in his life,"
 
---
 
PARK JIMIN
 
After checking that no one else was around, I hide at one corner and decided to give my mother a call.
 
"Hi son, how was the lunch?" she picked it up in a flash and I figured out that I should just get straight to the point.
 
"Eomma, can you please not do something like what you did today again?" I spoke to her in a stern voice.
 
"Why? Did I do something wrong? Did Joohyeon-ssi not like it?", she replied.
 
"No. It's just that... I don't want people to know of our relationship,"
"Or should you say that there wasn't any relationship between you two in the first place?"
 
"What?" I felt a lump in my throat when I heard her saying that.
 
"Jimin-ah, I know that your Joohyeon-ssi wouldn't like the lunch I have prepared for her at all, 'cos that was actually meant for someone else in the first place. It was for Dr. Kim Donghyun,"
 
"Dr. Kim?", I couldn't believe my ears.
 
Have my mother figured it all out or was it that she knew Kim Donghyun right from the very beginning? 
 
I slapped my face a few times to check that I wasn't dreaming. 
 
"Eomma, you knew I was lying?"
"Yes,"
 
I gulped and then swallowing my throat, I opened the door to one of the On Call rooms and settled down on the bed. 
 
Switching the phone to the other side of my ear, I asked,
 
"T-then, why did you ask Yoongi to specifically pass the lunch boxes to me and Irene sunbae?"
 
There was a short pause over at the other line and checking to see if the line was cut off, I called out again.
 
"Eomma,"
"Sorry son," she let those words escape from ,
 
"I did that on purpose to put you on a tough spot. I wanted to teach you a lesson for lying to me and Ji-woon," she paused and at that moment, I heard some ruffling voices before Ji-woon snatched over the phone to speak to me.
 
"Hyung, how long do you think that you can hide this from us? With the growing social networking sites like Facebook and Instagram nowadays, you think that we wouldn't be able to stalk her and see how she actually looks like?" I heard him laugh from behind the line, 
 
"But fortunately, Donghyun noona was able to tell us the truth and apologize on your behalf. Otherwise, eomma would have been whacking you back at home and you wouldn't possibly receive that tasty lunch instead,"
 
I was utterly shocked by their responses. Unable to take in these information, I asked him for my mother again to learn the full truth.
 
"Jimin-ah, I think you ought to thank Dr. Kim. The Tylenol I fed you with last night was actually from her. She knew that your hangover must have been really bad as you drank a lot during her welcome party the other day, so she handed me some. 'Aspirin will irritate your stomach even more', that was what she told me,"
 
And so, she got me acetaminophen instead. The corners of my mouth lifted up into a smile within the few seconds but the smile died down soon after.
 
Oh great, but I just shouted at her a couple of minutes ago without knowing anything, I literally face palmed myself. 
 
"Ok eomma, you know what? I gotta go now. I'm going to find Dr. Kim,"
 
I hung up the call and then running towards the elevator, I pressed onto the button agitatedly. I waited for quite sometime but it just wouldn't stop at my level. Impatient, my deft fingers pushed the buttons repeatedly until Namjoon dropped by.
 
"Woah why do you have to be so cussed, Dr. Park?", he hissed.
 
"Oh no hyung. I don't have time to joke with you now. Anyway, have you seen Dr. Kim around?"
 
Namjoon shook his head at me, but eyeing me weirdly, he took a step forward and placed the back of his hand on my forehead.
 
"Are you alright, Jimin?", he asked worriedly and pointing to the label that was pasted on the door of the elevator, he told me,
 
"It's stated there that it's faulty,"
 
Pushing away his hands, I read what was written and he was right. Therefore, I was left with no choice but to take the stairs instead. 
 
"Phew, it was lucky that I have informed you earlier, otherwise you would have spoilt the buttons too," I heard him heaved a sigh of relief.
 
Before I took off, I threw him a smirk.
 
"Hyung, please refrain from making such unnecessary comments next time. Do you know that it's actually really weird to hear something like that coming out from you? 'cos you are the real destruction monster! You would have spoilt it just by a simple touch,"
"Yah you,"
"See you later,"
 
I pushed open the door towards the stairs and took my leave before he could pounce on me. As I was hopping my way down, I noticed that someone else was sitting in the middle of the steps. I was about to ask for the person to move aside when I realised that she was actually the one I was looking for.
 
Creeping up quietly behind her, I then gave her a gentle tap on her shoulder,
 
"Dr. Kim,"
 
She jumped up at my sudden call, and following which, I heard her curse under her breath. 
 
"," She pouted her lips and then turning to face me, she showed me her pencil.
 
"A little warning next time, shorty?"
"No way. If that was the case, I wouldn't have caught you slacking,"
 
Surprisingly, I felt my soft lips stretching into a smile this time. She only calls me 'shorty' whenever she is holding grudges against me. 
 
"The nib's broken," I leaned forward and studied the tip of the pencil she was holding on to. 
 
"Like who can't tell?"
"I owe you one now,"
"I know right. You just made me break my favourite pencil,"
 
I held out my hand, reached for the pencil and checked for its label,
 
"It's alright. There's plenty of them up at the office. I remember Dr. Kim having loads of them,"
"You mean Jin?"
 
"Yes, come on now. I will get you a new one and after that, I've got some things to say to you," as I told her, I wasn't aware that I had subconsciously held out my hand to her. 
 
She stared at me for a second or so, then pointing at my hand, she asked,
 
"Am I suppose to hold it and then get yelled by you again?"
 
Blush seared through my cheeks and for a minute, I thought my face was on fire. I suddenly felt awkward, demure, and coy, even going as far as attempting to hide my rosy features behind my fingers. I could sense her pair of eyes still looking at me, all eagerly waiting for a reaction, a response, like a predatory beast. However, all I could afford to say was, 
 
"N-no. I d-didn't mean anything like that, " before I withdrew my hands from her and disappeared through the exit with her tailing behind.