TWENTY TWO

Call me, Dr. Park (BTS JIMIN FANFIC)

PARK JIMIN

"Happy birthday," 

I held my hands on my cheeks and sneaked a laughter at myself as I stood outside the apartment, waiting for the lift to arrive. It was the day after already and right now, I am on my way to work. When the lift arrived at my level, I stepped in and raised my hand to press the button to the ground floor, my eyes not leaving the bracelet which was well secured around my wrist.

"That's Dooly, your icon", I recalled what she had said to me and studying the cute little dinosaur charm which was hanging off from the bracelet, I couldn't hide my smile. 

Although I have never seen this character before, it was still interesting how Donghyun related its resemblance to me. I stared at it again and let my fingers linger around it. Puffing up my cheeks, I attempted to mimic its expression, only then to burst out into fits of laughter at my own childish act.

"Hyung, are you even listening to me?"

I had an inner happiness, one utterly independent of the outside world and I smiled like it burst from within instead of being worn like an obligation in the way others did. It was to the extent that I didn't even notice that there was someone else occupying the same space as me.

"HYUNG!", the person raised his voice and it was only then did I realise his existence.

"Oh, Ji-woon-ah," my eyes darted to his and I lightly slapped my cheeks, psyching myself up to snap out of those thoughts.

With his eyebrow raised, Ji-woon shot me a weird glance before he said to me,

"I need a ride to school," 
"Ok", 

He continued to eye me suspiciously. 

"By the way, what were you smiling at just now? And... What is this?", he held up my wrist and started questioning.

The embarrassment of the whole ordeal made me look down at my feet but fortunately, the lift reached the lobby just then. I hastened my pace once I stepped out of it and headed towards the direction of the carpark with Ji-woon tailing after me. 

"Psssttt. Stay there, my son,"

To have to reach the carpark, I would have to make a turn at the security guard post. The ahjusshi's call made me halt in my steps and I looked at him curiously. In his small little post, he casually brought his mug to his mouth, took a sip from his morning coffee, before turning his monitor screen towards me.

"Target's approaching", he directed my gaze to where his finger was pointing at.

Scrutinizing up close, the footage only shows a lady standing in the lift and I cocked up my brows at him.

"Why are you showing me this?" 
"BAAMMM,"

He pushed up his spectacles to the bridge of his nose and threw a flat smirk at me. In the meantime, Ji-woon had join in along beside me and checking out the footage too, he knew at once what the ahjusshi was trying to get at. His arm swung around my shoulders instantly and pulling me close to him, he whispered into my ears,

"On a second thought, probably the public transport would be more environmentally friendly. So, thanks for the offer hyung, but I guess I will make a pass for it,"

He loosened his grip around me and giving me a pat on my shoulder, he stepped away from me and sauntered out of the entrance. My mouth gaped open at his sudden reaction but just as I turned my attention back to the ahjusshi, the door of the lift opened. 

"Now, seize the opportunity, son", the ahjusshi said to me quickly before taking the chance to call her over,

"Good morning Dr. Kim,"

"Well, good morning Mr Park", Donghyun waved her clutch at him cheerfully and finally, her gaze met mine. I was just about to smile at her but taking me by surprise, she made her way past me, without even acknowledging my presence. 

Mr Park's face was in a state of shock as well and as if he was trying to help me, he called Donghyun back again.

"Dr. Kim, if I remember clearly, you don't have any vehicle registered under your name, so why are you making your way towards the carpark?"

She turned her body swiftly at his call and gesturing with a flick of her head towards me, she said cheekily,

"I don't drive but my boyfriend does,"

I saw my reflection wavering in her clear eyes. 

"Right y?"

She smiles, then flashes her pearly whites at me. She said it so casually, but I could feel my cheeks flush.

"Shall we get going?", she asked with a smirk. 

I'm feeling a bit shy by how sudden it all was, but I somehow managed to respond properly.

"Yeah,"

---

"Let me tell you what. You have a crush on her", Yoongi concluded with a stern look on his face, whereas I, almost choked on my drink.

"Crush" is such an infantile word, one that must have been invented by older folks, the ones with an interest in belittling young love. And I hated it. I don't have a crush on Donghyun. I swear. 

"Don't swear Jimin, 'cos you might regret it later", Namjoon suddenly added on, as if he could read my mind. 

It was lunch break now and staring up at the third level, we three couldn't take our eyes off one person. 

Through the transparent window above, sitting on one of the steps was Kim Donghyun. However, unlike usual times, she had a company for today. Seated beside her was a little girl and the both of them was engaged in a conversation. 

To be honest with all, I shall confess. For a few times, I have seen her there, but never have I manage to find out what she was exactly doing and why she always prefers taking the stairs instead of the elevator. 

"Just look at the way he's looking at her now. He's no longer the Park Jimin we all know", cried Taehyung before he sank into Namjoon's laps.

"I know right. He've got the 'Call me, y' instead of the 'Call me, Dr. Park' look now", Yoongi carried on with exaggerated expressions.

Exhaling, I flopped back on the grass in the hot afternoon sun and closed my eyes. As much as I would like to deny, the guys may be right to a certain extent. 

Now tell me, what to do about Kim Donghyun? 

That is the question that hovers like a fire breathing dragon in my thoughts. My heart flickers just thinking about her now. I started out despising her but now, I realise that I'm starting to like her, I can sense it every time we look at each other and don't forget, I even kissed her. 

I covered my face from embarrassment at that thought and soon, I let out a heavy sigh. 

But, I have to be realistic and get my life together or I’m going to be stuck at role play longer than I want. 

"Dude. You've got to jam up", Namjoon slapped my back and encouraged me.

"Yeah, before she gets taken by someone else," Yoongi commented and placing his hands on my face, he turned my head towards the direction of someone whom I didn't really fancy seeing at this point in time.

Jeon Jungkook, that's his name right?

I frowned upon seeing him making his entrance into the hospital. Then, after giving one more glance at the window pane where Donghyun was seated at, I stood up abruptly.

"Where are you going?"

"To claim what's mine", I said with much determination. 

Today, I'd find a way to talk to her, tell her how I feel, then I can finally stop hiding my emotions.

---

KIM DONGHYUN

On one of the steps of the stairway, there sat a child, legs kicking in the air, clearing the floor by several inches as they swung back and forth. As usual, I was making my way up via the stairs only to find an intruder invading on my personal secret hideout today.

On a closer look, the child was dressed in a hospital gown which I soon recognized her as one of the patients here. Her face had an unhealthy look to it and her eyes were hard open as she stared at nothing on the wall. 

I stopped as I got nearer to her. The girl's legs weren't swinging in the carefree way I'd first assumed. Each one was more like a kick, sharp and pointed. I crouched down in front of her, letting her see my white coat and stethoscope and brushed her bangs from her face.

"Hi there, I'm Dr. Kim. What's your name?" 

The girl became still and was quiet for a moment, sitting further back into the back of the step.

"Choi Haeyoung", came out almost like an accident, spilling out of her drawn inward lips. Her black eyes lost their harshness, becoming rounder, more glossy. Then, all at once, her face buckled, her breathing stopped momentarily and tears streamed.

"Haeyoung-ah", 

Quietly, I sat down next to her and tightly wrapping my arm around her shoulders, I kissed her lightly on her forehead.

"What are you doing here alone?"

"Unnie", she looked up at me with teary eyes, 

"I'm tired. I want to quit this game,"
"What game?"

"Hide and seek", she said quietly, breathing heavily. 

"Tell Jongsuk to come back now and stop hiding. Haeyoung-ie wants to give up on finding him,"

As I looked at her haggard expression, it felt like my heart was being ripped into two. It was only then that I recognized her to be Jongsuk's neighbour at the ward. 

"Unnie, do you know where Jongsuk is?"

I her hair and wiped off the tears that kept flowing down her cheeks.

"He's at a better place now", I swallowed hard and answered her. 

"At a place called Heaven?"
"Yes,"
"I see," 

She pulled away from me and bit into her lips to hide her sadness. 

"I miss him", she muttered.

"We all do,"
"I couldn't sleep all night because whenever I turn around, his bed would be empty. I'm scared that if he disappears just like this, I might forget him one day,"

I flinched at how sophisticated her thoughts were. However, fiddling with my coat pocket, I soon brought out my sketchbook. Turning to that page, I smiled at the sight of it before carefully detaching it from my book.

"Before I forget, this is for you,"

I handed Haeyoung that particular piece of paper.

Her face brightened up right away and sitting upright, she studied the sketch in amusement. 

"Unnie, is this Jongsuk and I?", she stared at me unbelievably,

"When did you draw this?"

I smiled impishly as I shrugged at her. 

"I can't exactly remember when but doesn't this remind you of somewhere?"
"Hmm?"
"Haeyoung-ah, look right ahead of you,"

As I said so, Haeyoung's eyes followed my movements, studying my facial micro-expressions as she slowly turned her head to face out of the window. I let my face flood with a smile and Haeyoung clapped her little hands.

"It's beautiful. I remember those times I played with Jongsuk at the garden", she chimed as she took the time to admire the sketch and the garden's scenery at the same time.

"So this is what unnie always do here? Drawing?"

"Yup, I like creating memories", I explained,

"Because I'm unsure myself for how long will I be able to stay around here", I blurted out unknowingly, with a tinge of sadness in my voice.

"Ah! Now, I remember seeing unnie a few times from down there", Haeyoung suddenly shrieked in delight.

"Really?"

"Yeah, you were always busy holding on to a pencil and... This book", she pointed at my sketchbook which was sitting on my lap,

"Can I see what you have drawn so far?"

I chuckled at her cute reaction and ruffling her hair, I flipped the pages and showed her a few of my works. 

"Oh, who is this? He looks-", she stopped me at one of the pages,

"y,"

I let out a laugh at her words and nodding my head as if to agree with her, I added on,

"I see that great minds think alike,"
"But eotteohke? I can't have two ladies falling head over heels in love with me,"

Another voice suddenly sounded from the back, causing the both of us to jump. And standing by the doorway, there was Park Jimin. 

He smiled at me with an unusual maturity, the warmth inside his eyes and his seductive voice made me shiver and I stumbled a little.

Standing up, I swatted the dust off my bum and held out my hand to Haeyoung. 

"You should really get back to the ward now before the nurses start chasing after you", I told her and smiling meekly at me, she waved the sketch happily in her hand,

"Thank you pretty unnie! I will treasure this always!"

Having said that, she slid her petite body past Jimin and scurried off immediately, although she did turned back once to gesture to me that Jimin was indeed insanely y. I chortled at her and gave Jimin a wink. Then, I started leaving the door but I was taken aback when Jimin backed me into the corner of the wall and I'm left with nowhere else to go. 

"What's up?", I giggled at his action
and when I looked at his face, I felt like his expression has gotten subtly more tense.

"I want you to go out on a date with me", he said.