SEVENTEEN

Call me, Dr. Park (BTS JIMIN FANFIC)

KIM DONGHYUN

He led the way as I followed behind his steps, out to the garden. 

It has been a week since I entered the hospital and I noticed that the grass to the garden was finally mown, so short that the ground showed through. The moss has been scuffed, rolling away from the soil like a carpet, its once strong greens yellowing now. 

I stood back, supposedly to be satisfied with this works, but as I saw his steps halting in front of me, my mind was brought back to focus on the confrontation that we might share in a moment's time. Disappointed yet angry, I closed my eyes and felt the pain piercing through my heart once again. 

He had his back against me still as he started talking. 

"'Death on the table', was that what you gained from your medicine course back in America?", he hissed and showed no mercy with his words as soon as he opened that mouth of his.

It slapped me hard on the face but knowing him for the past twenty-three years of my life, I was just plain stupid to think that he would have changed for the better. 

Tears threatened to fall and I stood there absently, unable to do 
anything until I finally managed to calm down. 

"Mr Kim", I addressed him emotionlessly, 

"What you have just said may be true but you... You are one who definitely have no right to say that to me. Don't forget, y-you...", I swallowed hard, 

"You let that happen once yourself,"

Words flew from my mouth that I never thought I'd even think, let alone say out loud. I frantically tried to wipe my tears but I couldn't hold back my feelings. No matter how much I wipe them away, the torrent of tears kept coming. 

"It seems like you have not gotten over him," he trailed and finally, he twirled around to face me. 

Fighting back my tears, I met his gaze and I knew instantly from the look in his eyes that they'd hit their mark.

"Kim Myungsoo, that young man,"

I pressed my lips together and bit into my bottom lips so hard that soon after, I could even taste the metallic tang of blood in my mouth. 

This was exactly how I felt now - Trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as the name bounced around inside my skull.

But there he stood, looking at me, distain pouring from his gaze and body language. 

"Sometimes, you've got to learn that things don't always work out the way you planned. No matter what, there will always be this mental struggle you will have to go head on someday,"

He casts his eyes to the ground and his voice softens after which.

"Hyunnie-ah, come home someday, alright?"

Pangs of guilt tore up in my chest but there was so much hatred in my eyes and remorse afterwards. 

The first time I believed it was the last, so sorry were they. But it wasn't, it was barely a warm up act for what was to come. I understood it far better now and they were the only ones I could vent my rage on.

"Mr Kim", I said once again,

"Please leave me alone,"
"Hyunnie-ah-"

"Chebal," I screamed at the top of my lungs.

It wasn't that I didn't try.

After that particular incident, I tried to be more loveable, more cute, more servile, but it all made no difference. I, wasn't the cause of my own unrestrained anger. They were to blame but in the process, I tried to be more forgiving, I did. I convinced myself that I still love them but I just couldn't function with them in my life anymore. 

The part of him being in me drove me insane day by day and never, never then I promised myself that I will ever return back to that family again. 

---

PARK JIMIN

For the next two days while being back at the hospital, I tried my best to avoid anyone by the name of Donghyun, Joohyeon and Seokjin as much as possible. My breaks compared to the other days were spent typically alone and on top of that, fortunately, thanks to Namjoon who willingly took up the On Call duties recently due to the cold war he was having with his girlfriend back at home, I was spared from it. 

Back at the locker room, I hooked my white coat neatly onto the rail, ready to knock off and closed the locker shut, when a face behind shocked me.

"Park Jimin, we need to talk", Joohyeon appeared, pulling me to the nearest table to settle down before I could even say anything. 

As my bum hit the chair, memories of that embarrassing day flashed through my mind and afraid that she was going to interrogate me regarding that day's words, I avoided eye contact with her. 

Under the table, my fingers were fiddling uneasily and my feet were tapping against the ground, nervous. 

Across the table, Joohyeon sat upright, positioned her elbows on the table and spoke at last. 

"Jimin, how is Hyunnie doing lately?"
"Eh?"

"Your girlfriend," she furrowed her eyebrows at me, 

"It has been two days since she last turn up for work, I heard,"

Really? No wonder I didn't see her around. 

"Jin and I were planning to make a visit to her apartment but at the moment, we couldn't take the time off from work, so we thought that as her boyfriend, you may know and possibly send her our well wishes,"

"Huh?", I gave her a weird expression as I honestly had no idea what was going on.

"Wait", Joohyeon's eyes shot up at me and she seemed mystified by my reaction.

"Don't tell me she didn't inform you,"

I raised my eyebrows at her. 

"Am I suppose to know something?"
"Damn,"

She cussed and threw her arms up in the air, before she slumped back onto the chair and reached for her temples. 

"Death on the table", she then whispered, but loud enough for me to hear. 

Death on the table, this term.

It is one we, all doctors despise most, for this intra-operational death of a patient is a mercifully rare occurrence, but one that can have considerable psychological and professional consequences for all members of the theatre team. 

Therefore, as soon as I heard this news, I felt sorry for Donghyun. Considering the fact that she is still a rookie in our hospital, it must have been hard on her. 

"Jimin-ssi", Joohyeon had her hand placed on top of mine now,

"Could you please help us check up on Hyunnie?"

---

After shopping for the groceries my mum had tasked me to, I arrived back at the lobby of my apartment shortly after. 

Waiting for the lift to arrive, my eyes were dancing around and unknowingly, it drifted to the security guard post which was situated right at the front. 

No Jimin, no. 

I shook my head to push away those thoughts but within seconds, my legs were already making its way towards the security guard who was sitting over at the counter. 

"Ahjusshi", I called and he looked up, pushed up his spectacles slightly and analyzed my face.

"Oh why there, aren't you the young man of Mrs Park?"
"Yes, Jimin's the name,"

"Right, Jimin. How can I help you son?", he raised his brows and bent over slightly to check out what I've bought. 

"Any Soju for me?"

I scratched the back of my nape sheepishly.

"Nope, but I would just like to check with you. Do you know which apartment number does Kim Donghyun-ssi lives in?"
"Ah, the doctor?"

"Yes," I nodded my head frantically but it was then, he eyed me with suspicion. 

"Why? You interested?"
"No, uh... I-"
"Sorry son, I'm not allowed to disclose our tenants' information just like this. Try harder next time,"

With that, he held up his newspaper and went back to his reading, ignoring my presence entirely.

I made a face at him but just then, the lift arrived. Trudging into it unwillingly, I grumpily jabbed the button of the lift but as the door was closing, I suddenly poked my head out and waved something in my hand to catch the guard's attention.

"Ahjusshi, what if this is for you? Call?" 
"Whuttt-"

He jerked his head up irritatedly but when he noticed the bottle in my hand, I saw sparkles in his eyes.

"Call, you got it son", he winked and snapped his fingers at me.

"Back to where we stop at. Kim Donghyun-ssi, am I right?"