SIX

Call me, Dr. Park (BTS JIMIN FANFIC)
There was the noise of a key in the lock and then, the door swung open slowly, like how it always did whenever he returns. 
 
Standing behind it, her breathing has suspended and reaching for the feather duster on top of the shoe rack, she waited for his entrance. 
 
Hana,
Dul,
Set.
 
"Eomm-"
"YAH YOU RASCAL,"
 
---
 
PARK JIMIN
 
"Eomm-" 
 
As I reached for the doorknob and twisted it, I was however greeted by an unpleasant sight.
 
"YAH YOU RASCAL," 
"Ah,"
 
As usual, Mrs Park is at the door again, smacking me non stop with her feather duster, wanting to know what took me so long to return home. 
 
She was quite certain that it would take a week or so, but this time, I went a little overboard. It has been a month since I last saw her and from the ferocity of her vent, I knew that I am definitely in for it. 
 
It is likely those nosy neighbors and friends she had met at the market have been asking for me lately and she must have spent a couple of weeks explaining to them how busy I really am and that finally, she has just the right combination of accumulated anger and tacit support to come to me. 
 
"HUH, YOU STILL HAVE GOT THE JAMS TO COME BACK HOME?! YOU STILL KNOW THAT THERE'S A HOME?", she threw the feather duster at me and it hit me hard on my chest.
 
Knowing my mother best, I listened to her rants without interruption until she was just glaring, with her hands on her hips. I could almost see steam from those red cheeks so, taking a step towards her, I placed both of my fingers on the corners of and gently lifted them up.
 
"Eomma, smile. It looks better on you and come on," I released my fingers and opened my arms wide for her to crush me with a hug,
 
"Aren't I back now? Shouldn't you be happy?"
 
"Yah," she studied my face,
 
"Jiminniepabo," 
 
Forcing a weak smile, she then embraced me and ruffled my hair. 
 
"I miss you, my son. Now, come on in and have some Kimchi jjigae,"
 
---
 
"Anyway, I will be visiting your abeoji later on, you coming?", my mother spoke halfway while sipping her soup.
 
My head shot up immediately at her words and placing my utensils down, I looked up and checked the date on the calendar.
 
8 July. 
 
Right. Today is my father's death anniversary. 
 
My heart sank at that thought and bitting into my bottom lips, I placed my hands on top of hers.
 
"Eomma, I-I almost f-forgot,"
"It's okay,"
"I'm really sorry, and don't worry, I will join Ji-woon and you later,"
 
Her lips curled up at my words. She patted on the back of my hand soothingly and got back to eating subsequently after. Then, as she reached out for the radish, she raised her eyebrow at me and asked casually,
 
"Anyway, how are things going on between you and Joohyeon-ssi?"
 
I almost choked on my soup when I heard that and grabbing the glass of water from the table hastily, I gulped it down in one go. 
 
"I bet they have broken up," a voice suddenly sounded from the back and turning around, I found my younger brother, Park Ji-woon making his way down the stairs. 
 
"YAH," I glared at him but sticking out his tongue at me, he said,
 
"Hyung, wake up ya. Quit dreaming," 
"Aigoo," my mother flicked his forehead instantly and then in a comforting tone, she said to me,
 
"Jimin-ah, don't take it to heart. Eomma trust that you guys are still going strong but don't forget to bring Joohyeon-ssi here for a meal someday. Eomma really wants to meet her,"
 
Damn, that billion dollar smile. I can't hurt her just yet.
 
"N-ne," I smiled back awkwardly at her and stuffing a whole lot of kimchi into my mouth, I caught Ji-woon sending me daggers from the opposite side of the table.
 
Letting out a sigh, I forced myself to take a few more bites before I retreated from the table.
 
"I'm done eating. I will just head back up to get some rest,"
 
---
 
KIM DONGHYUN
 
Laying down the carnations, I bent down to read the gold lettering at eye level.
 
"It has been long, Myungsoo-ssi,"
 
It took me a fraction of a second or so, before my face was wet with tears. And then, they started rolling down silently into my cracked lips, salty and cold. 
 
Deep in my heart, I can never understand why God would give me someone so good but only to snatch him away from me again. For the past few years, I have learned that life is cruel, for the sun continues to rise, to welcome in each new day devoid of his laughter, his grumpy complaints and even his sarcastic commentary. And yet, I'm still not done with it. 
 
"Myungsoo-ssi, how are you doing up there?"
"Did you make any friends?"
 
I jolly well knew that I was talking to bones but yet, here was the only place I felt close enough to talk to him and have it mean something more than just thinking about it. 
 
And just maybe, he can hear me and too, God may carry my voice up into the heavens. 
 
As I slowly stood up from his grave, I wiped my tears dry. Giving him one last look, I mouthed softly,
 
"It not having you around, but I'm trying to pick it all up. You are the reason why I finally gathered the courage to return", I let the tips of my fingers trail down his grave,
 
"And don't worry, I won't do silly things again and I will make sure that I treasure the rest of my life," I paused and then felt for my chest,
 
"For I can feel your heart beating in me,"
 
With that being said, I went over the dewy grass and trudged back to the exit.
 
However, on my way out, I thought that I saw someone familiar. At first, I was still unsure about it, until the moment I caught that person widening his eyes at me.
 
"Oh, y," I called out, surprised. 
 
This made the two other visitors who were accompanying him stop in their tracks to look up at me as well.
 
"D-dr-," he stammered, but just before he could even say out my name, the young gentleman next to him interrupted.
 
"Oh? Joohyeon noona?"
"Eh? Bae Joohyeon? Me?", I pointed at myself and by then, Jimin was looking so flustered all over.
 
"Ani-"
"So, you are Joohyeon-ssi," 
 
Now, it was the lady's turn to cut in to his words.
 
"I'm glad that I finally got to meet you", she suddenly took my hands and smiled broadly at me, 
 
"I sure hope that our son didn't cause you any trouble," she the back of my hand.
 
Confused, I stared back at Jimin for help but he kept jerking his head towards his right and making funny faces at me that I couldn't get what he was trying to say. It took me a while to digest the details and when I finally got hold of the situation, I instinctively slung my arm over Jimin's shoulder and pulled him closer to me,
 
"A-ahh. Y-yes, I'm Bae Joohyeon and don't worry eommeonim, Jimin has never given me any trouble. He's a really good hoobae," I recited, never have I been so proud of myself, 
 
But never did I know that that, could be the beginning of a new chapter of my life.