Prisoners Pt.1

Right To Remain Silent
A/N: Hey guys!!! Long time no see! So this is the first of those little bonus chapters that I spoke about. For those who wanted a sequel to this story never fear, I may end up writing one (if I plan the whole story out of course). 
 
I hope that you enjoy! 
 
Prisoner Pt.1
 
Jaehwan had been slowly adjusting into his old job as a forensic scientist and medical examiner for the police department once again. 
 
His amnesia caused many problems, awkward introductions to people that he'd probably already known and a few instances where Jaehwan had got lost on the way to the task force room or the lab but other then that, there weren't too many cons. Jaehwan retained his usual personality and although the others sometimes had to let him in on a few inside jokes they shared the atmosphere seemed to remain the same. 
 
The cases that followed for the task force were difficult, though none could compare to the Demon case which the task force had become famous for. 
 
It was an average Monday morning when Jaehwan strolled into the task force 'headquarters'.  It was surprisingly quiet in the room, void of the usual scoffs and whines from the members of the task force. The only other person in the room was Hakyeon, who was sat quietly at his desk typing away at his computer. The elder glanced up and smiled when he noticed it was Jaehwan who had entered the room. Since Jaehwan had returned he'd managed to reconnect with his team mates, Hakyeon included. 
 
"Morning Jaehwan, seems like it might just be me and you today, hmmm?" The male hummed and began typing again, fingers gliding over the keyboard effortlessly. Jaehwan watched in amusement and shook his head. Hakyeon always managed to get to involved in writing his reports that his fingers could fly over the keyboard at incredible speeds. The forensic scientist didn't understand how Hakyeon could be so concentrated on the screen and still be able to sustain a conversation. 
 
"Morning Hyung...Where are the others?" he asked and walked over to his desk to sit on the edge. He shuffled through some papers, briefly scanning over the names and dates and shoved a few loose pieces into a pile for him to sign later. Since their success they'd been getting a lot of high profile cases, the paperwork was the less glamorous side to things. 
 
"Well...Wonshik is being reviewed for his training with firing arms today. He has to take his physical exam. Somehow he convinced the examiner to allow Hongbin and Hyuk to watch. Good experience or something. And Taekwoon...Well actually it's Taekwoon's day off." Hakyeon muttered and gave a soft chuckle. Despite Hakyeon's answer being direct, Jaehwan knew that it spoke volumes more about how he was feeling. The mere fact that Hakyeon was here in the office writing a report told Jaehwan that he'd turned Wonshik's offer down. 
 
Hakyeon had been mostly okay after G-Dragon had been arrested. He still had his infectious smile and overdramatic attitude. Except that now Hakyeon felt more then a little uncomfortable with guns around him. He wouldn't carry one, he wouldn't even touch one. It was more then likely the reason that he rejected Wonshik's offer. It must remind him too much of that night, where Sungjae almost died and so did he. 
 
Jaehwan lifted his gaze back to the black haired male and gave the other a comforting smile.
 
 "Well it looks like your stuck with me then, huh?" The ME said playfully and smiled at the other once more. 
 
Hakyeon snorted back his laugh at that but couldn't keep the smile from his face due to Jaehwan's light hearted response. Hakyeon would sometimes be surprised at Jaehwan's ability to calm people down and also change the mood of an entire room through cracking a few cheesy jokes now and then. He was most certainly the mood maker of the group. 
 
"There's no where else I'd rather be." Hakyeon answered and the response warmed the younger's heart. It had been difficult to adjust back into a life that he hardly remembered. He felt like he'd just finished university all over again. But he'd managed to adjust to everything with the help of his friends and family. 
 
After that was said the room settled, Hakyeon continued typing speedily and Jeahwan signed his name on a few forms that needed his approval. Most were just autopsy sign off sheets. He liked to get those out as quickly as he could, he didn't like to deprive the grieving families of the deceased body for too long. The quicker he signed the release the quicker they could have a proper funeral. 
 
He'd signed off on a few sheets over the past couple of weeks for different autopsies he'd performed for the  homicide department (since the previous medical examiner had retired whilst Jaehwan was in his coma). Rather then calling for a replacement each time they needed an autopsy to be performed, the department offered Jaehwan the job. And he graciously excepted-on the condition that he could continue his work on the task force. 
 
No one argued with him on that one. 
 
Jaehwan finished his paperwork and stacked it off to the side of the desk. After he'd settled into the station again he went back and looked over all of the noted they'd taken during the Demon case. The outcome had surprised Jaehwan. The fact that Jungkook had turned himself in after all he'd done to escape being caught surprised Jaehwan the most. There was also a note of a certain Kim Seokjin, made by Leo. The name was more then a little familiar to Jaehwan because once upon a time he and Kim Seokjin were best friends. 
 
Back in high school they were inseparable, one was never without the other. 
And then they graduated and Seokjin moved away to go to university. He wanted to become a doctor and had been accepted into a very prestigious medical school, whilst Jaehwan stayed close to home, studying forensic science. 
 
After that Jaehwan hardly got to see him. They met up a few times throughout the year and kept in touch. 
 
And then one day Jaehwan got the idea to surprise the younger. He took a train that same day and didn't text or call ahead, because back then he thought spontaneity made up for any inconvenience he may cause. Besides, Seokjin hadn't been messaging him as much for awhile, not since mid October. At the time it was the start of November. 
 
He'd visited Jin's apartment many times but had never actually met his friends roommate, a certain grumpy Min Yoongi who he'd heard many stories about over the past year. 
 
And it turned out that it was that very same roommate, Min Yoongi that opened the door that day. Jaehwan didn't have trouble remembering the conversation. It was so clear in his mind. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The apartment building was small, shoved on the corner of the street, it only housed four tenants in mediocre apartments. Perfect for university students.
 
It often reminded Jaehwan of something that had been a last thought. It was a older building, made from mostly brick and plaster and it stood out amongst the newer buildings that lined the busy street. 
 
It was around 11:00am when Jaehwan entered the building, he went straight past the front desk and up the stairs. The receptionist never minded him. And often let him come and go as he pleased. Though this time the older woman wasn't in her usual seat, trying to hide the fact that she was watching old drama re-runs on the outdated television in the corner. 
 
Jaehwan felt himself becoming giddy. He hadn't seen Seokjin since the end of July. He couldn't wait to see him again. He took the stairs two at a time and found himself in front of a familiar door in no time. Then he knocked.  
 
And waited. 
 
And waited. 
 
Then he knocked again. 
 
And again. 
 
And again. 
 
He frowned and began to think that maybe he should have checked if Seokjin was at home today. Maybe he was out of town. He could be out with other friends or even at the library researching something for his classes. Jaehwan sighed and scratched his head. He probably should have though this through more. 
 
He knocked one last time, a bit louder then before and waited. 
 
And waited. 
 
And wai-
 
"I swear to god you brat! I said leave me the fu-" 
 
The door suddenly slammed open and made Jaehwan jump in surprise. On the other side of the thresh hold was a shorter man, staring at him with red, tired eyes. It almost seemed as if he'd been crying. His clothes were out of place, as if he'd been in a scuffle with someone recently. 
 
His hair was a bright mint green, tousled to the point that it actually looked cool. He wasn't wearing any slippers or socks, Jaehwan guessed that he'd just got up from bed. He felt a bit bad for waking him. 
 
The mint haired man was staring at Jaehwan, with an eyebrow raised in question. 
 
"Who are you?" he asked bluntly. He wasn't smiling and he certainly didn't look friendly. He looked like he was a few seconds way from slamming the door in Jaehwan's face. Jaehwan cleared his throat and spoke quickly. 
 
"I'm Lee Jaehwan, you must be Seokjin's roommate, Min Yoongi, Is Jin around? I've come from Seoul to visit him..." Jaehwan trailed off as soon as he saw the look on Yoongi's face. One of pain and that held a great sadness. 
 
"He's...not here." the mint haired man said, not being able to meet the elders eyes. "How...How is it you know him?" he asked quietly, almost so quietly that Jaehwan couldn't hear him. The tone sent alarm bells off in Jaehwan's head and he knew then that something was wrong. 
 
"Oh...Well actually we've known each other for a long time now. We met in our first year of high school, in detention would you believe it?" the small story brought a smile to Jaehwan's face. He hadn't thought about their meeting in a long time. Jaehwan got detention for being late three days in one week. Seokjin was in detention for continuously eating during class. "Do you know if he's coming back soon? I can wait for him." Jaehwan said afterwards. 
 
Yoongi stared at him and then sighed, looking down and rubbing at his eyes. 
 
"You better come inside." he said quietly, opening the door wider for the male. He didn't want to break such big news to him on the doorstep where anyone could walk by and see. 
 
Jaehwan blinked in surprise but stepped inside, all the while his feeling of unease grew. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After Yoongi invited him inside, he'd broken it to him softly. He'd heard of Seokjin's friend Jaehwan, but he hadn't even thought to contact him. 
 
The news rocked Jaehwan. He hadn't heard from Jin because he'd died. A horrible accident more than two weeks before. 
 
Jaehwan had been rocked by the news. He was devastated by the fact that he'd already missed the funeral. He'd tried to hold back tears but he couldn't. And Yoongi had let him and had even comforted the elder to the best of his ability.  Yoongi had asked Jaehwan to stay that night and he had. The next day he left and went back home, taking with him Yoongi's number. 
 
They'd kept in contact over the years and according to his mother, Yoongi had even came to visit him whilst he was in hospital. 
 
Whilst he was thinking of Yoongi and Seokjin he couldn't help but wonder about the Demon-Jeon Jungkook. He couldn't remember him, just like he couldn't remember the others. But he was curious, as to why Jungkook had handed himself in so easily. And he'd been very up front about his curiosity with Taekwoon, which had worried the elder. 
 
He had a question. And he knew that he should ask it whilst Taekwoon wasn't here, if he wanted a chance to get what he wanted. 
 
"Hakyeon-hyung." Jaehwan said, settling down his pen and gazing up at the other man, who was now rooting through his desk drawer, as if he was searching for something. He looked up a the sound of his name being called and briefly smiled at Jaehwan before he resumed what he was doing earlier. 
 
"What's up Jaehwannie?" he asked with a hum, seeming to give up on his search in his drawer. Instead, he turned his eyes up and raised a brow at the expression on Jaehwan's face. "Whats on your mind?" he asked again. 
 
Jaehwan seemed to think and debate whether he should really tell Hakyeon what it was he wanted but knew that it was now or never. At least he had a chance with Hakyeon. Taekwoon would refuse before he could finish his sentence. 
 
"Well hyung...I think that it would help me with my memories if I could meet people that I knew before the coma...or maybe someone very involved in a big event during those two years..." Jaehwan trailed off, already seeing the cogs turning in Hakyeon's head as he slowly pieced together what Jaehwan was asking of him. 
 
"Oh no....Jaehwannie...no..." Hakyeon said, placing everything in his hands down on his desk and standing quickly. He manoeuvred around his desk and came to crouch in front of Jaehwan, where he sat in his chair. "Ask me anything but that. I'll do it in a heartbeat." he asked pleadingly. But Jaehwan couldn't change what he wanted. So he merely looked down into his lap. 
 
"I'm sorry hyung.....but there's some things that I need to know...there are too many questions that I have-" 
 
"Then let me answer them. Just anyone but him Jaehwan." Hakyeon pleaded, holding onto the forensic scientists hands. He knew that if Jaehwan was truly dead set on the idea then he wouldn't listen. But Hakyeon sure as hell wasn't going to say he hadn't tried to change his mind. And if Jaehwan did end up going to see him then Hakyeon would be right besides him the whole time. 
 
Jaehwan met the elders eyes and shook his head. He knew what he wanted. He knew that this was his only chance. The others wouldn't dream of helping him with this. 
 
"I need to see Jungkook....Hakyeon, please help me." Jaehwan asked, squeezing both of the elders hands in his own. He could see the internal battle in the detectives eyes and he knew that Hakyeon was very uneasy. But Jaehwan felt that he needed to at least understand the reasoning behind Jungkook's sudden change of heart. And he needed to know if what happened to Seokjin was actually an accident. "You know I won't change my mind on this." 
 
Hakyeon sighed at that and looked down at their joined hands for a few long moments before finally letting out a large puff of air. 
 
"Fine." he muttered and then continued before Jaehwan could say anything more. "But I'm coming too." he said with a tone of finality. 
 
Jeahwan nodded his head at that and let a shy smile slip onto his face, standing and holding out his hand the elder. 
 
"Shall we go to prison?" 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The Seoul Maximum Security Penitentiary, otherwise known as Seoul Maximum or SM, was made up of three separate smaller buildings and a larger fortress in the middle. The entire settlement was surrounded by a 10 foot tall electrical fence, impossible to climb. Each building was connected to the main one through a series of long hallways, if a riot broke out in any of the four buildings then said building would be cut off from the rest and put into lock down until the riot squad could handle the situation.  
 
No one had ever escaped from the facility. The state of the art security system made it almost impossible to do so. The staff were always observant and trained well. There was the odd dealer that usually got the usual cigarettes and gum into the prison but so long as a deadly weapon wasn't smuggled in, the guards were usually quite ignorant to this. 
 
Hakyeon took his helmet off, ruffling his hair to get it back in place. He smiled and looked back at Jaehwan, who still had Hakyeon's spare helmet on and had his arms secured tightly around Hakyeon's waist. After G-Dragon had blown up Hakyeon's old motorcycle it took Hakyeon a while to find another that he liked as much as his old one. When Hakyeon had drove to work on it, Wonshik almost had a heart attack on the spot. He still held a grudge against motorcycles apparently. 
 
"Jaehwan, you can let go now." he said calmly as he held back his laugh. His driving wasn't all that bad. He did bend traffic laws a little but so long as he didn't break them he figured he was okay. 
 
Jaehwan finally let his hold on Hakyeon slacken and then reached up to take his helmet off, shaking his head side to side to sort his flattened hair do out. He let out a puff of air and glared at Hakyeon as he got off of the bike. 
 
"I thought you promised to go slow." he whined and passed Hakyeon his helmet. The elder had insisted that he drive Jaehwan somewhere for once because the younger had never ridden a motorcycle before. Hakyeon had promised to obey traffic laws. And he had, to a degree followed through with his promise. 
 
"That was slow." Hakyeon pointed out, finally swinging his leg over the side of the bike to get off. He held both helmets in his hand and grinned at Jaehwan. "You enjoyed it really though didn't you?" Hakyeon asked cheekily. 
 
Jaehwan pouted and crossed his arms as he looked away, refusing to answer. He had enjoyed it, merely because it was so dangerous and thrilling, fun to experience adventure but be in Hakyeon's capable and experienced hands. Hakyeon merely smiled at this and motioned for Jaehwan to follow him as he walked towards the entrance of the prison. The guard on duty would be expecting them as they'd announced their arrival at the guard station by the gate entrance. 
 
Jaehwan walked by Hakyeon's side and looked up at the daunting prison. They were entering the main building, where most of the cell blocks were. There were two smaller building on the right and one on the left. Hakyeon was pretty sure that one of the buildings on their right was the medical centre. There was a lot of security there, probably to do with all the medication and drugs there. They didn't want any addicts stealing some to deal with withdrawal symptoms. 
 
The other two smaller buildings were a mystery to Hakyeon and Jaehwan. They didn't make a habit of visiting the penitentiary too often. 
 
Upon entering the main building, they were searched for any weapons and contraband and were also asked to show their badges. Hakyeon dropped off both helmets to be put in lock up and then walked through the metal detector. Jaehwan followed afterwards and after they were cleared they walked past the entrance and up to the front desk. 
 
The man sat behind the desk was a seemingly new uniform, ironed to perfection. He didn't have a hair out of place and he looked up when Hakyeon rested his elbows on the desk. The young guard had dark brown hair that was hidden away under his hat and was wearing a pair of glasses with classic black frames. The small badge on the pocket of his uniform read 'Officer Oh Sehun'. 
 
"May I help you?" he asked, looking up from where he'd been typing on the computer. He wasn't really doing much, he was just switching between security feeds throughout the main entrance hall to pass the time. He recognised the pair in front of him. He'd known about Detective Cha Hakyeon for years now, quite a few of the inmates in this very prison were people that he'd caught and convicted. The second man was also someone he recognised. Dr Lee Jaehwan, the hero that had almost died trying to bring the Demon in. There had been a lot of commotion after the demon case closed. Partly because Jungkook had been transferred to the prison. 
 
"Yes, we're here to visit a prisoner." Hakyeon took the lead and smiled as he leaned his elbows on the top of the desk, resting his head between his relaxed hands. Hakyeon hadn't lost his child like demeanour it seemed. 
 
Sehun blinked and looked down at his computer, checking the schedule. He felt his eyes widen to the size of plates when he found their appointment. 
 
"Why the hell would you want to go see him?" he asked in disbelief, looking between the two as if they were crazy. Jaehwan smiled sheepishly and shrugged his shoulders whilst Hakyeon just grinned. 
 
"Well it's been a while. We want to talk. What's so wrong about that?" the detective chuckled and then took Jaehwan by the hand. "Get someone to put him in the visiting room. Preferably alone." Hakyeon said, more like ordered and Sehun jumped to do so. Because when Cha Hakyeon asked you to do something you did it. 
 
Hakyeon tugged Jaehwan along, seemingly to already know the way. Jaehwan surmised that this definitely wasn't the first time that Hakyeon had visited the prison. Hakyeon led to the left, down a narrow hallway and around another corner. Jaehwan lost count of how many different hallways they went down before they finally stopped in front of a door, decorated with one single glass window. 
 
Hakyeon finally turned to Jeahwan with a hesitant smile on his face. 
 
"There's still time to back out Jaehwan-ah... You don't have o do this if you don't want to..." Hakyeon once again pointed out. He was hoping that Jaehwan would change his mind about this. Turn around and cancel the meeting with Jungkook. But Hakyeon knew Jaehwan well enough to know that that wouldn't be happening any time soon. 
 
"I can do this Hakyeon-ah. Besides, you'll be right there with me the whole time right?" he asked and smiled reassuringly. As soon as he felt he knew what he needed he'd leave without protest. But right now they'd come too far to turn back now. 
 
Hakyeon sighed at this but smiled slightly anyway. 
 
"I guess it was worth a shot..." he added and then gripped the door handle before him. He gave an encouraging smile to Jaehwan and then opened the door.