The Brother

Right To Remain Silent

Twenty Two. 

 
"Your all clear." Daesung said as he backed away from Hyuk's car. Hyuk nodded and sighed in relief. 
 
"Hyuk probably would have killed someone if his car had been messed with...." Jaehwan muttered, rubbing the back of his head as he tried to make light of the slowly darkening mood. Though the joke wasn't really funny given the context. 
 
The explosion had knocked them all off their feet, including Hakyeon who had been knocked unconscious by the blast and an unfortunate knock to the head. But that was nothing compared to the fate of the man who had been attempting to steal Hakyeon's bike. Jaehwan found himself feeling sorry for them, despite their less from lawful actions. No one deserved to die like that. 
 
Everyone was pretty much silent because they were thinking, they all knew who it was, of course without a doubt it had to be Jiyong, but just why had he gone after an ex-team member and friend? Maybe he knew it was Hakyeon that had brought him in? If so then the situation was probably about to get even more complicated. Now Wonshik was in deep thought. Just how we're they going to catch Jiyong AND The Demon when attempts on their life's were being made? He was beginning to think that perhaps they'd bit off more then they could possibly chew...
 
The ambulance had already taken Hakyeon to hospital, because of his head injury. Taekwoon had gone with him, being the one to essentially carry their leader away from the burning wreckage of his bike. 
 
"You guys got lucky." Taeyang said after clearing his throat. "Any closer and things could have become serious." he said, glancing around at each of them. This was the first time he'd met his old friends new team. Taeyang smiled warmly for a moment. Hakyeon better take care of these guys as it was clear that they were worried and intended to look after him. 
 
Hongbin stared at the wreckage as it was dragged away by a clean up crew before he sighed. It wasn't the fact that they got lucky. It was the fact that the other man who had tried to steal Hakyeon's bike got unlucky. But there was nothing they cold do now. The damage was already done. 
 
"Let's head to the hospital, we need to check on Hakyeon-Hyung and deal with that new victim..." Hongbin sighed and the others nodded in response. They had work to do...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taekwoon looked at their leader through the window into his room, the doctors had told him that he had a minor concussion but nothing to worry about other then that. He'd been lucky they'd said. But Leo knew that it had nothing to do with luck, rather that Hakyeon had been in the right place at the right time. Ideally he would have been far far away from his bike, but as the fates decided, he had to watch someone else die in his place. 
 
Taekwoon was all too familiar with this hospital, he hated hospitals. The smell, the food and the plainness of it all. Even though it was a place of healing it held little hope with it's blinding white walls. At least for him anyway. He felt as if he came here too often, whether it was to visit a friend, or for his own injuries to be treated. 
 
He was waiting for the others to arrive before going to see the other patient down the hall, the one room that had armed officers outside the door. The Demon's victim had been put under protective custody, even though he was in a comatose like state. It didn't matter. This man-as Taekwoon had been informed was now the most important asset that they had in the case. Because when he woke up, he'd be the sole witness to the demon's crimes. That made him extremely significant in the grand scheme of things. 
 
"How is he?" Wonshik's voice was somewhat calm as he stepped up besides Teakwoon, gaze locked on the sleeping male on the other side of the window. Taekwoon remained quiet for a moment, simply looking at the bluenette. He'd grown strangely attached to these people in the short time he'd known them. He hadn't meant to. He always preferred to work alone, as usually others got in his way. But not these people. Not this team. 
 
He looked back into Hakyeon's room and hid a small smile behind his usual expression. It was all Hakyeon's doing. Though he couldn't bring himself to hold it against him. He'd probably done him a favour. But he wouldn't be telling the older that any time soon. 
 
"He's fine. They said he had a minor concussion after he hit his head, they want to observe him over night and discharge him in the morning." Taekwoon said, pausing every once in a while to remember clearly what the doctor had said to him as if reading from a script. He was met with a few nods but otherwise there was silence between the two. 
 
"The others are here, we should go check on the survivor." Wonshik said, though he didn't take his eyes off his older friend. Taekwoon nodded, taking one last glance at the annoying man he'd met not too long ago before he turned briskly on his heel, walking towards the waging where he knew Jaehwan and the youngest two of their group waited. 
 
Not long after Taekwoon arrived, Wonshik followed, though he was a little slower as if in a daze. None of them commented on his state though becaus ether really didn't have the heart to at the moment. Another nurse, who's name badge read 'Joy'. She smiled at them sympathetically and opened the door quietly as the two guards either side of the door nodded in their direction.  
 
"We don't know when he'll wake up, he sustained quite a few injuries before he was found by one of our paramedics on his day off in an alleyway not far from here." she explained, leading the all inside. 
 
Hongbin had been the last one to enter the room, he wasn't keen on seeing another one of the victims but knew it was his JB to see things through to the end with his friends now. But what, or rather who he saw laying immobile on the hospital bed shocked him into silence. 
 
Because there laying on the bed was one of the members of Infinite, Hoya. 
 
And Hongbin didn't think before he went sprinting from the room.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Hakyeon awoke all he could see was blurry figures around the room. His hearing was adjusting, as was the rest of his body. He closed his eyes, relaxing his breathing temporarily before he opened them again, finally coming back to his senses. 
 
"Y'know hyung, it's a wonder your still alive. Do you hurt yourself on purpose just to see me?" a familiar voice sounded to his left. Hakyeon tilted his head to the side and grinned at the sight that met him. 
 
"It's nice to see you too Sungjae...." He chuckled. "Does that mean you'll stick around longer if I do?" he teased and received a whack to the fore arm from the younger. 
 
Sungjae was five years younger then him but still managed to grow to Hakyeon's height, he was afraid that he would end up growing taller then him but for now didn't have to worry about that problem. The similarities between them outweighed the differences, though they didn't look exactly like each other they did look alike. 
 
"Yah! Your supposed to be the older brother Hakyeon-hyung! That means being more responsible..." the boy mumbled and ran a hand through his dark hair, that matched his brothers own hair for now anyway. 
 
Hakyeon smiled at his younger brother and ruffled his hair lovingly. "Really? That doesn't sound like me." he said and started laughing at the foul look Sungjae sent him. He smiled at him and shook his head. 
 
"I'm staying for Christmas hyung, if that's okay with you of course..." he said. Though he knew Hakyeon wouldn't refuse his brother. They hardly spent enough time together as it was. 
 
"Of course you can stay, as if I'd let you leave." the elder mumbled and patted his brothers shoulder from where he sat on the bed. Sungjae smiled widely at him in response. Hakyeon smiled at him and felt the need to hug him, but chose not to at the moment, he didn't want to risk sitting up and letting loose the raging headache that was slowly edging into his head. "How's BTOB doing?" he asked. 
 
Sungjae raised a fine eyebrow at his hyung and shook his head in amusement. "Don't you mean How's Minhyuk-hyung doing?" he said with just a slightly teasing tone. 
 
Hakyeon grinned and shook his head at that. "That too.." he said snarkily. His brother was almost as sassy as him. Almost. 
 
However before Sungjae could answer a nurse entered the room, a young woman who glanced at them in surprise but then turned to his younger brother with apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry, but the visiting hours are over now..." she said seemingly genuinely sorry for them. Her name name was Joy, according to her name card. And Hakyeon made sure to make a mental note of her name. It was always nice to have contacts in the hospital. Perhaps after he got out he could persuade Joy into helping him every once in a while. 
 
Sungjae nodded his head and stood from his seat, besides Hakyeon's bed. Before he got far Hakyeon grabbed his arm and stopped him, making the younger turn back and raise an eyebrow inquisitively at him. 
 
"Take my apartment keys and stay there tonight alright? I don't think they'll keep me here for very long. I'll be there as soon as I can okay?" he asked, but more like pleaded. Sungjae sighed not being able to resist his brothers wishes merely nodded, taking the keys from Hakyeon's bed side and giving him a quick hug, though careful not to irritate his small injuries. 
 
"I'll see you soon hyung." he said, quietly into his ear before he straightened back up, smiling one last time before he walked out of the room. Once Joy had checked on him (meaning his heart beat and vitals) she wished him a goodnight before exiting the room as well. And only then did Hakyeon realise it was already quite late. He settled back down into the hospital bed and sighed in content. 
 
Even if things didn't look good for them, he knew that things would always get better eventually. Perhaps Sungjae staying with him over Christmas was just the start of things getting better for them. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Hello! Mock exams are finally over! So hopefully I can get back into my pattern of updating. I finally reached 100 subscribers. Thank you all so much! I didn't think I'd get this many to be honest. Thanks for the support! Was this a surprise? This chapter I mean? Oooo well anyway. See you next time!