Case Closed?

Right To Remain Silent
Twenty Nine. 
 
If Taekwoon seriously thought that Jaehwan wouldn't come after him then he was very very wrong. Unfortunately the detective had taken his car (which Jaehwan had got used to driving at this point.) 
 
If Taekwoon had predicted that Jaehwan would try to follow him then he'd done that on purpose. But Jaehwan was not the sort of person to give up so easily. 
 
That's why he was now speeding along, using Hyuk's car instead.
 
The maknae had been confused, sitting and watching over a sleeping Hongbin when Jaehwan rushed in, slamming the door that hard that Hongbin was startled from his sleep and promptly fell off his chair. 
 
"Hyuk! Do you have your keys?" Jaehwan had shouted, receiving a glare from the sleepy looking Hongbin. 
 
Hyuk blinked in confusion and then fished out his car keys from his jacket pocket, eyeing Jaehwan wearily. "Here. But what is it-" The keys were gone from his hand before he could complete his sentence and the door was swinging on it's hinges. Jaehwan was already gone. 
 
Jaehwan didn't have any time to waste. It seemed as if Taekwoon had made a breakthrough and being his usual stubborn self he'd tried to leave Jaehwan behind. But that wasn't going to happen. They were partners and that was final. Jaehwan smirked. As if he'd let Taekwoon take all of the credit anyway. 
 
His next order of business was to find out where he was, Jaehwan knew that it was pointless calling Taekwoon himself. He probably wouldn't pick up. And even if he did he would forbid the younger man from coming to stand by his side in what could be their final night on the Demon case. 
 
He put his phone on speaker, listening to ring after ring after ring, keeping his eyes on the road, until finally the line connected. 
 
"What's up Jaehwan? You need a favour too? That makes four this week for your task force you know, I should start charging you guys-" the snarky voice was cut off by a slightly flustered Jaehwan who spoke in a slightly hurried Nd clipped tone. 
 
"Yes Junhyung, I know I'll make it up to you. I need a location on Taek- I mean Leo." he said and then waited a few moments in silence. The other was silent before there was a sigh. 
 
"I gave him an address about 15 minutes ago. If I'd have to take a guess then I'd say he's there. Here, I'll send it to you." There was a pause and then Jaehwan's phone buzzed. "I hope you catch him on time." Junhyung said quickly, knowing that Jaehwan was moments away from hanging up. Junhyung was getting used to people (especially the people in this task force) doing that to him lately. 
 
"Me too." was the only reply before he hung up. 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Jaehwan had been driving for a full ten minutes before he made it to Seogang bridge, there was hardly any traffic on the way but the snow was deep, so deep that a lot of people were just staying off the roads completely, after the warning had been sent out that driving would be dangerous.
 
Jaehwan reasoned that he wasn't in anymore danger then usual, since his driving could be considered far worse then anything some snow and ice could throw at him. Jaehwan would never admit to how many times he failed his driving test before he finally got his license. He drove to a stop, blinking at a sign, he squinted at it, reading through the snowy mist about the bridge being closed due to extreme weather conditions. He guessed that was why there was no traffic up here. 
 
Jaehwan narrowed his eyes in thought, that would mean he'd have to go all the way around and then cross at the nearest bridge which would take even longer. He didn't want to take the chance of missing Taekwoon so he sighed and drove forward, a bit slower then before. Hey, if he was part of the police force and couldn't drove his car over a bridge then what real power did he have? 
 
He was wondering what could have caused Taekwoon to make the decision to leave so quickly and without calling for back up but couldn't quite put his finger on it. Thinking so deeply that he wasn't aware of his surroundings...his head suddenly snapped up and his foot slammed on the breaks. The jolt of the leather seat against Jaehwan's back seemed to knock some sense back into him as he stared at the dark silhouette of a man,  or maybe a boy just a few feet in front of the car. Jaehwan was sure that if he'd not pressed the breaks when he had then he'd be checking the boys neck for his pulse. 
 
Jaehwan contemplated just going around the man, after all he was pressed for time right now..but then he shook his head, a firm 'No' running through his mind. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if he abandoned someone out in the col when they might be injured or need help. 
 
Jaehwan took a deep breath and stepped out of the car, the cold winds soon lashing at his skin, seemingly trying to slow him down. He took a few cautious steps forward and then stopped, finally seeing and registering that the person in front of him was only a boy. His eyes were wide, hopeful and also strangely panicked, he was panting, looking red and out of breath but also shivering from the harsh cold, biting at him through his clothes (which were doing absolutely nothing to protect him) Jaehwan raised an eyebrow and suddenly shivered, a bad omen suddenly overtaking him. 
 
"What are you doing on this bridge?" Jaehwan asked. He remembered how to act and ask questions and do this and that. His voice was calm and even at a stretch stern. He saw the boy blink uncertainly, showing how vulnerable he was as his arms wrapped tightly around his chest in an attempt to preserve warmth. 
 
"I could a-ask you the same..." his voice shook slightly as a tremor overtook his body but then sighed and put his head down. "Please...you have to help me...I was attacked by s-someone on my way h-home and he chased me. H-he's right behind me!" the boy yelled, tearing up slightly as his breath started to accelerate. Jaehwan worried that he'd have a panic attack if he didn't calm down so the older pulled out his ID badge and held it up.
 
"I'm with the police department, I can help you but I need you to take deep breathes and try to calm yourself for a moment. I need to ask you some questions before I can help you. Please come and take a seat in the car so I can question you properly...." Jaehwan said as calmly as he possible could, hoping to somehow transfer that calmness onto the boy before he shoved the ID back into his pocket. It seemed to work as his breathing got better and his tears did not quite fall. "Now what's your name?" he asked as the boy walked towards the car and him.
 
"Jeon Jungkook." 
 
"I'm Lee Jaehwan, so what is it you do for a living Jungkook?" he asked as the boy neared him. It was important to keep witnesses talking and hopefully try to keepmtheir mind over what theyd just seen or experienced. Jaehwan knew from experience that the human mind muddled information up a lot when extremely stressed . But now he was debating with himself on what he should do now. He had to find Taekwoon, but now he had this boy, Jungkook with him. It wouldn't be right to involve him in the investigation but he was worried if he did take care of the boy then he'd miss Taekwoon and whatever lead he was following. Jaehwan, so emerged in his thoughts didn't notice the slight hesitation in Jungkook's next step, right to the side of him. 
 
"I kill people." The suddenly all too cruel voice remarked. Jaehwan hardly had a moment to process the words before his head had connected with the bonnet of Hyuk's car, dinting it and sending him dizzy for a few moments. Another knock, this time from the apparent killers fist, made Jaehwan's head snap to the side, the force making his legs give way. He blinked away the blurred haze and looked briefly up, noticing the distinct outline of a figure, stalking towards him as if he were prey. "And your next.." 
 
Jaehwan let his left leg lash out, catching the younger boys calf with the slight heel of his shoe (shoes he wore to make himself seem taller). He scrambled up as soon as he heard the pained grunt fall from Jungkooks lips, kicking up snow as he went and tried to clear his vision. When he did Jungkook was back, approaching him slowly now, eyes narrowed and dark, looking nothing like the vulnerable boy he'd seen mere moments before. Jaehwan had to admit that the kid had him fooled. He dodged the incoming strikes, stepping back out of his reach and ducking when they were too close. He was losing too much ground though and he knew it.
 
Jungkook hissed, leg shooting out speedily, connecting with Jaehwan's chest and knocking him back into the barrier of the bridge. The forensic scientist let out a cry, back screaming in protest and then gasped when the younger was upon him again, this time he felt the icy hands clamp down around his throat, air being stolen from his lungs. Jaehwan gasped, trying to pry the vice like hands away but was unsuccessful. 
 
"Now isn't this nice, I finally get to meet the oh so famous Lee Jaehwan, forensic scientist extraordinaire and you get to meet your end via the very Demon you've been hunting. Ironic isn't it?" Jungkook asked, enjoying the wide-eyed look that he saw as he literally squeezed the life out of the slightly taller male. He enjoyed the choked gasps and hummed as the hands trying to fight his began to get tired. A few more moments and he'd be unconscious, then death would descend upon him. He didn't hate Jaehwan but at that moment that didn't matter. Jaehwan and the other members of the task force were in his way. He'd hunt down each and everyone of them if he had to, then he'd be free to live normally, maybe even rebuild his relationship with Jimin again.  
 
Jaehwan could feel it as his gasps became quieter, more desperate. It was a sickening feeling, dying like this. And no one would know why he'd been there, because he'd never told anyone why. A few black dots began to cloud his vision and his hands gripped Jungkook's sleeves. His mind swam for a way out. 
 
And then he knew what to do. 
 
With a suddenly burst of energy, Jaehwan lurched back against the barrier that separated the bridge and the long drop into the merciless waters below, whilst his hands gripped Jungkook's shoulders tightly. His feet left the ground and he leaned back, letting gravity do his work for him and concentrating on taking Jungkook with him. He distantly thought he heard his name being called, the voice was familiar and he knew that he should recognise it because it seemed important to him but the lack of oxygen and toll of his last few movements were effecting him more then he'd first predicted. The voice was left without a name to it in his mind. 
 
Then he was falling and he shut his eyes because his work was done and the demon that they'd all been chasing was falling too. He was strangely content and yet he held so much regret. He'd never said goodbye, not to Hakyeon, not to Wonshik or Hongbin or even their maknae Sanghyuk...'Taekwoon...' his mind briefly thought and then he smiled slightly. 
 
The case may finally be closed. 
 
He didn't feel the cold when he hit the water, the black dots had already expanded by then, leaving him with the sound of Jungkook's terrified shouting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Hello lovely readers! Sorry I've been away for a while~ I've been busy with college and work placement for a while now but I'm finally finished! so I can update and hopefully finish this story now. Thanks for reading an drugging up with these infrequent updates! 
 
Until next time!