Chapter 8

As Time Passes

anyeong ~ again, thank you so much for your comments and support. I was going to write more but this ended up turning into a pretty long chapter so I'll keep it here for today hehe...Please feel free to request any scenes through comments or on my wall ^^ Luff you <3

 

Faintly hearing the alarm clock ring, I wake up slowly, yawning as I stretch my arms. I blink as I see a few figures in my room that seemed somewhat familiar. As I start to feel more awake, I realize it’s Infinite. Widening my eyes, I shortly scream in surprise, shocked to see them so early in the morning. They merely grin and say “Good Morning!” as I pull the covers to my neck, knowing that I only had a tank top on.

“What are you guys doing in my room? Get out right now.” I say, pointing to the door. They chuckle softly, shuffling out the door.

Sung Yeol stops for a moment, peering back, “You looked cute when you were sleeping, Ji Eun,” He says innocently and grins while I throw a pillow at his retreating body.

Who let them in this early?

I start to pull my tank top over to change when Dr. Hunter slides open the door and I shriek again, covering myself. “Why is everybody just butting in here? Next time, knock,” I say loudly, an exasperated expression on my face.

Dr. Hunter shrugs. “Sorry, Ji Eun. Thought you would've been up by now. Anyways, I’ll wait for you outside,” He turns on his heels, going back into the hall.

I finally change in peace, wearing tight jeans and a grey v-neck. Brushing my hair out, I pull it into a bun and tie on my flat sneakers. I turn to open the door, but stop, looking at myself in the mirror again. Maybe a little makeup wouldn’t do any harm. Applying a bit of mascara and eyeliner, I finish up getting ready and go back to the door, sliding it  open with force. Dr. Hunter and Infinite were there, having a nice group chat. They turn to look at me and I raise my eyebrow, going back to my bed.

Dr. Hunter walks in first, getting his clipboard out like he always does. Then Infinite comes in, some leaning on the wall, some sitting on the sparse chairs, others plopping onto the ground. Myungsoo stays near the door, his head down. I take a quick glance at him, feeling myself blush. Now that I took a good look at him, at all of them, everybody was quite a catch, Dr. Hunter included. And yet, they were all here instead of in the spotlight. I burst out laughing for some reason, making everybody else confused.

“Nothing, nothing…” I shake my head, still amused at their presence here.

Sunggyu starts speaking, “Look, Ji Eun! They’re having a festival tonight! Fireworks!” He says excitedly, handing me a flyer he had picked up on a street. I nod, interested. I loved fireworks.

“Oh, right. It’s the Fourth of July today,” Dr. Hunter muses, coming behind me to look as well. He looks up, smiling. “Shall we all go? It might be fun,” and everybody nods energetically.

I shrug, “I guess it will be fun.”

“What will be fun?” The door slides open once again and Soo Hyun comes in this time, closing the door before narrowing his eyes at Infinite. “Who are you?” He says suspiciously, crossing his arms.

Dr. Hunter steps in, “Ah, Soo Hyun, great to see you. Seems like the leg is working well. This is Infinite, by the way. Say hi!” He introduces Soo Hyun to Infinite, trying to calm his tense attitude.

“Ah...Infinite....” He nods, critically looking at them. I look down, now feeling guilt when I see Soo Hyun. He was wearing all black, and his face looked pale, probably from not eating that much. Of course, Suzy had still been on his mind constantly while I...was having fun, feeling happy. How horrible was I?

Soo Hyun turns to look at me, a smirk on his face. “Ah, so now that Suzy isn’t here, you take them for yourself? What a friend,” The smirk disappears and he turns back, slamming the door behind him.

Dr. Hunter rushes out, a worried expression on his face while I just sat there, stunned. It was so true, everything that he had said. They were supposed to come for Suzy, yet I had become friends with them, forgetting My dear friend at the same time. Was this what a friend did? Of course not. Was I never Suzy’s friend then? I feel Infinite staring at me and look up. “Can you...just...leave me alone right now?” I say lowly, looking down. They nod, going out once more in dead silence. As soon as they leave, I start to cry though I don’t want to. I continue to let the tears pour from my eyes, not even drying them with tissues. I deserved all the hate, pain. After all, I had killed her. Killed Suzy. Shutting my eyes tight, I break down, finally letting all the ach that was inside of me outbreaks. Right now seemed so...dark, so endless.

 

Yet I wasn’t alone.

 

I feel a patting on my back, and look up to see a blurred image of Dr. Hunter. He gently smiles, opening his arms. I immediately take his invitation, hugging onto him tightly. I feel my heart beat faster and faster as his hands my hair. Dr. Hunter was so warm, gentle. I stay in his arms for a while, just letting my sobs out. Finally, as I start to calm down, he starts speaking, “Ji Eun, I don’t know any of what you are feeling right now, but I can assure the fact that you did not kill Suzy." He whispers in my ear, continuing to rub my back as I cry. A tissue box is placed by my side and I look up, seeing Sunggyu and the others standing around the bed, worried looks on their face.

I try to smile for them, taking a tissue and drying my face. So much for the makeup.

"Ji Eun, who was that?" Sung Jong comes to sit by me, asking a question.

"Ah...that was Suzy's boyfriend..." I respond, knowing that Soo Hyun wasn't really her boyfriend but it wasn't too far from the truth.

"Who's Suzy?" Dong Woo says curiously and Sung Jong sends him a disapproving glance.

"What? I'm just asking!"

"Ji Eun, are you okay with me telling them?" Sung Jong looks towards me. I nod shortly, and he starts explaining to everybody quickly.

 

"Oh, Ji Eun, that's why you were so sad!" Sunggyu says with a pout after Sung Jong finishes up. "Group hug?" He looks around and everybody grins. I widen my eyes as all seven of them crowd around, crushing Dr. Hunter not to mention me.


I change my clothes, putting on a flowy dress to mix things up a bit. After strapping some wedges on, I reapply my makeup and wheel to the door. All of us, Dr. Hunter included, were going to the festival at the amusement park to see the fireworks and have a picnic. Opening the door, I see Infinite also dressed quite neatly with button down shirts and khakis. They all grin at my appearance, pleased. "Wah, you look so cute with your hair down," Sungyeol exclaims, Hoya nodding beside him.

"Thank you, SungYeol oppa," I respond, smiling at his shocked expression. After looking the word up, I thought it would be a nice surprise to call everyone 'oppa' for a night.

"Ah, where's Dr. Hunter?" I ask curiously, looking around.

"He said he was going to meet us there," Myungsoo says and I nod.

"Oh...well I guess we should go then," I say quickly with a smile, wheeling myself to the hospital front entrance. I hear them bickering behind me, "I'm going to wheel her."

"No you did it last time, Sunggyu, let me do it."

"Wait but you carried her on your back, so I should do it!"

The debate goes until quite a while when somebody finally takes the handles of my chair. I turn around, widening my eyes when I see Myungsoo there.

“Ah, hi,” I say awkwardly, turning bluntly around again.

He doesn’t respond and the other Infinite members silently catch up, annoyed that Myungsoo had stolen the spot they were so earnest for. We get to the amusement park quickly, seeing a whole crowd of people near the entrance. Sunggyu takes out the tickets, giving me one.

“okay, let’s go!” He says, going towards the front of the line. I raise my eyebrow, wondering how he was going to pull this off.

“Excuse me, miss,” Sunggyu says in his english accent, talking to one of the young ladies. They turn, giggling at how cute he was. “My poor sister is sick, do you mind us going in front of you?” He gestures towards my wheelchair and Myungsoo gives them a charming smile. The girls immediately give way, and I can hear them flirting with Sunggyu as the line move forwards. When we finally go through, we say goodbye to the girls and Myungsoo wheels to a cafe where we were supposed to meet up with Dr. Hunter.

“What do you want?” Myungsoo asks me, nodding towards the drink menu.

“Mm...I’ll just get a lemonade,” I say with a small smile, closing the menu.

“Okay, Sunggyu what do you- hachoo!” Myungsoo sneezes softly and I quickly hand him a tissue.

“Ah, thanks. Sunggyu, what do you want?” He asks again, blowing his nose quickly.

“Oh I’ll just get…”

I tune out of their conversations and look around, smiling at the peaceful setting. So many kids were around, balloons in each child’s hand. I realize who I’m looking for, though. This afternoon, when he hugged me, I had come to a realization. I like Dr. Hunter. Just thinking that made me blush. I chuckle softly, looking for him in the crowd. I finally spot his tall stature near a tree and wave to signal that we’re here when I realize there’s a girl next to him. No, not any girl.

It was my sister.