Chapter 4

As Time Passes

anyeong ~ here is the fourth chapter hehe >.< please enjoy and myungsoo and infinite will appear in the next chapter!

Drowsy, I pull myself up to a sitting position, rubbing my eyes. I look down, seeing Dr. Hunter sleeping in his chair next to me. Had he stayed here all night? As I shake his shoulder, he wakes up slowly and yawns. “Ah…Ji Eun…morning…” Dr. Hunter talks tiredly, another large yawn interrupting his words.

A nurse comes through the door, widening her eyes at us before breaking into a knowing smile. "Dr. Hunter, we need to discuss the funeral for patient 8154. Her parents haven’t answered the calls at all,” She says seriously, and I know exactly which patient it is after she talks about the parents. It was Suzy. All of a sudden, yesterday’s series of events rush through me, hitting me hard in the heart. Right.

 

I had killed Suzy.

If it wasn’t for me, she would’ve been able to sleep peacefully. If I hadn’t rushed in, she wouldn’t have sat up and the plugs wouldn’t have fallen out. If…I could just redo the whole day.

The pain overtakes my heart, and I grit my teeth as the tears start to fall down again. Dr. Hunter turns back to look at me and gives me a sympathetic look as I try to hide my vulnerability.

“Nurse Rhode, I’ll talk to you in a few, for now let me talk to Ji Eun…” She walks out and Dr. Hunter bends down, taking my hand in his. “Ji Eun…” He says softly, massaging my small hand and briefly standing up to sit next to me on my bed. Before I know it, I’m in his arms, being comforted by his back rubs. We stay in that position for a while as I try to express my feelings through tears. After a while, Dr. Hunter pulls back and takes a handkerchief out of his pocket, wiping my face.

“Ji Eun, you did not kill her. It wasn’t your fault that she died,” He continues to repeat those words to me as I hug him again, not wanting my splotchy face to be shown. Again, I fall asleep after being exhausted by crying and he gently lets go, leaving his handkerchief on the table. I somewhat sleep, hearing bits of conversation through my slumber.

“Let’s wait a bit for her parents to respond”
“What if they don’t?”
“It will be okay…”


Again I wake up, this time seeing Soo Hyun in the chair next to me.

“Soo Hyun,” I say, surprised that he was here.

He nods as a greeting, and I knew that he had heard the news. “I heard…that you saw her die?” Soo Hyun asked softly, his words barely audible.

I knew the meaning behind them though. He had just asked if I really had killed her.

“Yeah…I…was the reason she died,” I crumble back into a fit of tears, taking the handkerchief at my bedside to wipe away the current tears.

Soo Hyun stays in his chair, watching me silently.

“I…I was annoyed that I hadn’t seen her in days, weeks…And after hearing that her condition had gotten worse, I rushed into Suzy’s room though I wasn’t supposed to. She was sleeping at that time and I yelled her name. If I hadn’t done that, if I hadn’t…she wouldn’t have died…those plugs came out…If only I hadn’t gone inside the room,” The pain in my heart surfaces up, and my voice becomes shaky and high.

“I killed her, Suzy,” My eyes are wide as the words echo through my head in whispers.

Soo Hyun's eyes harden as he looks at me directly. “What are you saying? That’s bull and you know it,” His mouth draws into a straight line. “If you really feel that way, take responsibility and live your life the way Suzy would’ve wanted you to – not like this crumbling mess of tears,” He talks to me carefully but sternly, a tone that I had never heard him use. The news of Suzy had probably hit him hard as well.

Leaving the room quickly, Soo Hyun leaves me alone in the room. The white room. The prison cell. The room that held a murderer.


I don’t leave the room for days, not even going to the PT. I show no expression at all, not even a smiling when I see Dr. Hunter. I know he worries for my health and it does change dramatically. I start coughing regularly, trying to get rid of the darkness that clung to my heart. The darkness which had made me a selfish murderer. As I try to sleep, Soo Hyun's words ring through my head, making me feel even worse.

After a week and a half, Dr. Hunter tells me that Suzy’s ashes had been put in the hospital cemetery. So her parents really never came. I wheel myself to the sixth floor where the cemetery was, looking down at a piece of paper where it told me the row she was in. Finding it easily, I look at the glass box, seeing a picture of Suzy and me. The both of us, smiling doing peace signs in her room. It was her sixteenth birthday, and I had beaded bracelets for the both of us. Looking down at my arm, I bite my lip when I see the same accessory on my right arm. Now, it was only me wearing this. Finally, I erupt into sobs, leaning down and covering my eyes. How could Suzy be dead? We had promised each other to get out of the hospital together. We were basically sisters. I look down and see a bouquet of roses left nearby. I guess Soo Hyun had been here already. Leaving flowers near her box, I wheel myself out, regaining my emotionless composure as I get back to my room. As I enter through the door, I widen my eyes when I see seven figures facing the window, their backs to me. They turn around as I rap once on the door, and I immediately recognize them.

 

It was Infinite.