Chapter 22

As Time Passes

anyeong! How is everyone? I hope you enjoy this (quite long) chapter! I wrote it all in one day xD The first week of school is so busy yet boring :P I hate being the new student, but so far it hasn't been too horrible. I did get lost though...But all's well that end's well! Anyways, this is getting quite dramatic and I'm really not sure how to end it. Haha...maybe it will go on for 200 chapters xD Would you still read it? Gah, I can't wait for Infinite's US concert dates to come out! I want to knowww! *cries 

Okay, well thank you so much for all the support you guys always give me and please continue to read, comment, and subscribe! Luff you guys <333

 

Ding!
My phone vibrates and I pick it up expectantly, smiling softly when I see that Myungsoo’s here. I quickly grab a coat, skipping down the stairs as I see his car on the road. He honks once and I wave, opening the passenger side and climbing in.

“Hey,” he says with a grin and I smile back, putting on my seat belt.

“Let’s go!” I say excitedly, moving a little in my seat.

“Somebody’s excited,” Myungsoo chuckles a bit, starting the car again and setting his gps to the cinema nearby. “Not many people come here as it’s not very well known. A lot of celebrities choose this place though,” He says while driving and I nod, just happy that we were having another “date” after so long. We make a little chit chat the duration it takes to get to the movie theater. Finally, we pull into a quite empty parking lot, and I wait patiently as Myungsoo runs out to open my door.

“Thank you,” I say with a slight smile, taking his hand to get out of the car.

He continues the hold on my hand, intertwining his fingers and placing it in his jacket pocket. I smile, leaning closer to him, able to smell his cologne. It was nice and cozy, just what I remembered.

As we go inside, a worker comes to take our jackets and I hand him the soft light brown khaki trench coat I had been wearing which had covered my outfit for the night. I slowly undo the belt, taking it off lightly and spinning around to show Myungsoo what I had worn. It was a soft pastel blue-grey dress that fell in layers above my knees. The waistband was a detailed ruffle, fitting snugly but not suffocating me. Since it wasn’t a super formal event, I had left my hair alone pretty much, brushing it out with the ends slightly curling. To pair off the dress, my heels were a metallic silver, not too high since I didn’t want to be in pain. Still, I had spent time on my appearance and I look expectantly at Myungsoo, waiting to see his reaction.

“How is it? Do I look pretty?” I say curiously, biting my lip nervously. What if he thought it was too much?

“I...You..Ji Eun…” Myungsoo stumbles over his words, making him look cute. “You look more stunning than ever,” He says and I grin, grabbing onto his arm to hook my elbow around.

“Thanks...I did it for you,” I say cutely, feeling like I was out on a date with my boyfriend. Even though we weren’t dating, I wanted to act like a couple.

Myungsoo smiles, and we walk into the cinema together to get our seats. “Is this okay?” he asks, going into one of the middle rows. I nod, and we sit down just as the ads start. Myungsoo hands some popcorn to me, placing a drink in the cupholder between us as well. I lean my head onto his shoulder as the movie starts, smiling calmly. The movie was about two best friends who eventually came to love each other but I barely pay attention to the scenes. All I could feel was Myungsoo’s warmth, that moment halfway through the movie when he placed his arm around my shoulder, taking the drink out of the cupholder and moving the armrest up so I could come closer. The movie ends with us still cuddled together and Myungsoo slowly retracts his arm.

“Enjoy the movie?” He asks and I somewhat nod.

“Yeah, the ending was nice…” I say, making a guess as Myungsoo looks at me strangely.

“They both died at the end,” He says and I widen my eyes.

“Really?” I say out of shock, and he chuckles.

“No, of course they didn’t. Did you watch it at all?” He asks and I shove his shoulder.

“I did in the beginning, but then I felt so comfy so I got distracted,” I say with a pout, defending myself.

“Same, it was nice to be together for such a long time, hmm?” He says, getting up from the seat as I stand as well. I nod and find his hand again, closing my fingers around his.

“You’ve gotten quite bold, Ji Eun,” Myungsoo says with a laugh, tightening his grip on our held hands.

“I just know what I want,” I say carelessly, giggling slightly. It was true - being a trainee, I couldn’t be shy or nervous anymore. I had to either express myself or hold my feelings in.

We get to the car, Myungsoo starting the car and quickly pulling out of the parking lot.

“Where are we going?” I ask, glancing at him. Our hands were still clasped together.

“You’ll see,” He says with a mysterious look, getting onto the highway. The day had turned to night already, and the shining moon peaked out from wispy clouds. I gaze at the night sky, enamored with the beauty of the lights.

“We’re here,” Myungsoo says, pulling the car onto a dirt road and turning off the engine. We had slowly driven up a mountain road, now on a grassy hill where we could see the whole city. My mouth is almost open as I just sit in the car, in awe of the view.

“Coming out?” Myungsoo asks me, opening the door on my side while holding out his hand. I take it silently, breathing in the fresh air and shivering slightly from how cool it had gotten even though I had my coat on. Like a gentleman, Myungsoo places his jacket on my shoulders, leaving me for a second to lay out a picnic blanket on the ground. He hands me a thermos, my cold hands warming from the hot tea inside.

“This is…” I’m at a loss for words, just amazed at how prepared he was. Myungsoo leads me to the blanket, going back to the car and coming back with a few lighted candles. They give off a cozy scent, a fragrance of lavender in the air.

“Comfortable?” Myungsoo asks, finally sitting down next to me, leaning back with his arms supporting him.

“I can’t believe you prepared all of this...It’s amazing,” I say, my face still with a shocked expression.

“Anything for you, Ji Eun,” He answers straight back, his sincere eyes locked onto mine.

I don’t respond, feeling touched.

“Ji Eun, do you remember the time we had before I left with Infinite on the tour?” Myungsoo asks softly, his fingers brushing over my hand on the picnic blanket. I nod, waiting for him to continue.

“I told you I wanted to wait on starting a relationship, right?” Myungsoo says, waiting for confirmation which I give.

“I missed you so much during the tour, it felt like I couldn’t breathe. I was..so lonely without you. My heart still loves you, even more than before probably,” He pours out his heart, his fingers moving to tenderly push back some loose hairs near my face.

I in my breath, not sure how to respond. Was this a dream? I had waited so much for this to happen, for him to finally come back. During Infinite’s tour, I was in panic - thinking that maybe Myungsoo would realize that he didn’t love me and would come back a different person.

I swallow, looking back at Myungsoo. “I...feel the same way….” I say softly, a short pause before he pulls me into a warm hug, his hands the back of my head.

“Does this mean we’re dating?” I ask, a little bit surprised at how close I was with him right now.

“Of course,” Myungsoo pulls away, and softly kisses me once. Though it was dark, I knew I was blushing. It had been so long since our last skinship, everything seemed so sudden right now.

“Yah…” I say looking down, feeling somewhat embarrassed.

“But we’re a couple noww,” Myungsoo says with a chuckle, turning his body so that his head was resting on my knees.

“I know...but I’m not good at skinship and...all that…” I say quietly, my fingers running through his hair.

“Arasso...I won’t do anything too sudden, okay?” Myungsoo’s lips curl into a smile and I nod gratefully, poking his cheek.

“Such puffy cheeks,” I say with a chuckle, pinching and moving them around.

“Ji Eun- what are you doing, yah, this hurts!” Myungsoo says as I play around, my laughs echoing into the night.


“Testing...Testing 1,2,3,” I say into the mic in my hand, watching the tech guys at the soundboard. I was having an interview today on a show, and it’d be starting in a few minutes. I glance at the brown leather woven bracelet on my hand, something Myungsoo had given me as a present from his tour. He had one as well, though it was black. It was our first “couple item”, if that was how you said it. I smile inwardly, still happy about last night. We had come back soon after, and I had immediately fallen asleep after crawling into my bed. The intro music to the show jolts me out of my thoughts, and I softly clear my throat as I start to walk on stage. I bow politely to the audience and interviewer, smiling brightly.

“Annyeong, IU imnida,” I say clearly, waving to the crowd before taking a seat on the stool provided.

“Ah, IU, so happy to have you here! Your showcase went so well yesterday, hm? I think everybody was surely in awe of your voice and beauty, right everyone?” The interviewer pauses for a moment, laughing as the audience starts cheering. “Anyways, your real name is Lee Ji Eun..what is the meaning of your stage name: IU?”

I answer pleasantly, incorporating my agency’s statement while adding some of my own thoughts in as well. The interviewer asks me a few more questions, and I start to feel more at ease and comfortable, even making a few witty comments near the end of my reply.

“Well, you certainly have a knack of answering questions well, IU. For now, we’re going to take a break and then - wait for it - Infinite will be joining us! Let’s all wait in anticipation as new stories of IU’s journey to becoming a star will be heard!” The interviewer says as the audience roars with excitement. I give them a grin, though my mind was blank. Infinite was coming? When had this been decided? As the commercials start to play, I turn around to see Sunggyu, Woohyun, Hoya, Dongwoo, Sungyeol, Sungjong, and Myungsoo walk onto stage as well, waving to everybody in the room. Myungsoo takes a seat next to me, his hand briefly touching mine before being handed a microphone. I see his leather bracelet on and smile to myself. He had worn it.

“Surprise!” Sunggyu says happily as I laugh at his bounciness.

“I can’t believe they asked you to come! Yah, don’t say anything weird, okay?” I say with a chuckle to the other members, some of them giving me a few mischievous smirks.

“Okay, and we’re back! With Infinite and IU!” The interviewer comes back to the stage, his voice filling the whole room.

“First, Infinite - let’s hear how you met IU over here...We heard a little yesterday during the showcase but it’d be great to learn all the details…”

“Well..” Woohyun starts, telling how the letter had arrived from the hospital and how they had left a few weeks later to visit me. After his response, a few other members join in with their view on the story, sharing their perspective.

“IU - do you mind telling us why you were in the hospital? Had you broken your leg or something of that sort?” The interviewer asks as my mouth becomes dry. This question hadn’t appeared on the list they had provided. I glance at the interviewer’s face, his expression telling me to respond.

I clear my throat, deciding that it would be weird to make up something. “I was in the hospital because of a car crash. In April, my mom and I were heading back from a road trip and it was pretty late at night. A car going almost at 80 miles crashed into us, and the door on my side came unloose, sending me straight out the car and across the highway unconscious. Thankfully, it was so late at night that there were no cars around and I was safe until the ambulance came. We found out later that the car that had smashed into was driven by a drunk driver,” I phrase my words carefully, trying not to make it sound too serious. The room is dead silent, my words are bit shaky. Even though I was all fine now, the scene was slowly coming back to me. Driving slowly on the road, the impact of the crash, the shattering of the glass, my body hitting the ground hard...I choke on the last sentence a little, clearing my throat again and letting out a shaky breath. I can feel a hand on my back, and look up to see Myungsoo rubbing my back to comfort me. He looks at me sympathetically, and I wish I could just fall into his arms...We were in public, though.

“I’m so sorry, IU. That’s amazing that you’ve recovered so well. Do you still have some trauma on the subject?” The interviewer asks another tough question, giving me no time to think.

“Ah...well, I wouldn’t say that I’m totally fine though physically it’s been going okay. Trauma...Since it was so recent, I still have a bad reaction when it comes to loud noises and being in car is still a bit out of my comfort zone. However, I wouldn’t have been able to meet Infinite without that experience...and I think it’s made me a better person today” I give a weak smile, wanting to appear optimistic. I didn’t know though, what my condition was. It had taken me a whole year to not panic when being in a car. Going on the plane to Korea had made me anxious, but I was mostly cured by that time. The doctor had said that if another car crash happened though, I might never be able to be in a moving vehicle without having an episode of seizures.  

The interviewer nods, “Well, I hope that no more unfortunate events like this will happen again. I think it’s time that we hear your lovely voice, though, hmm? Everybody, let's give IU some encouragement as she gets ready to sing!”

I smile softly as the audience cheers.  The rest of the show I mostly sing, my voice becoming steady and calmer by the last few songs.


“You did such a good job! I know those questions were sudden, but I knew you would be able to handle them,” The interviewer shakes my hand, leaving as I bow. I was mentally exhausted, and I collapse onto the chair behind me while taking a few deep breaths. My manager comes in right after, giving me a sympathetic smile.

“Let’s go, hm? You have a photo shoot in a few hours and we need to get you to the stylist. Those questions will probably do good in the articles later today, actually, so think of it in a good way. I know that took a lot of strength from you, though,” My manager pats me on the head kindly, and I smile. He was like a father to me, and it made me feel a bit homesick.

“Let’s go,” I say softly, getting up to go out of the building and into the parking garage. I get into the white van, putting on my seatbelt before closing my eyes.


Myungsoo POV

I walk around the building, wondering where Ji Eun was. I wanted to talk to her, to comfort her. I had never heard the story how she got into the hospital...what kind of boyfriend was I? I’m supposed to help her in times of trouble...I sigh, turning to the window to see a white van leaving. That was probably hers. Taking out my phone, I dial Ji Eun’s number and hear her pick up at once.

“Ji Eun?”

“Yeah?” Had she been sleeping?

“How are you doing?” I sit down, my voice becoming gentle.

“.....exhausted. I didn’t think I’d say that story ever again, to be honest. And it was on live tv as well,” She dryly chuckles and I listen to her.

“You’re amazing...I can’t even believe how much you’ve come...and that I’m lucky enough to have you as a girlfriend,” I say with a hint of a smile.

“Well, I love you so it’s oka--rnghhhhhh” My eyes widen as I hear a loud crash in the background, then silence.

“Ji Eun? Ji Eun?!” I ask repeatedly, standing up and walking out the door, gaining speed more and more. There’s no answer. I hear a rustling in the background, then the call drops.

What’s going on? I swallow, running outside the building and the way I saw the car went, feeling my phone vibrate. It was a message from Do Yeon. Why had she messaged me again? I’m about to put it back in my pocket when I see there’s an attachment. Somewhat curious, I open it to see that there was a short video. Tapping once, I almost drop my phone after watching.

It’s a video of the highway, with a small black car crashing into a white van, making it veer off road and into another car.

Ji Eun...it wasn’t her van, right? I can feel my heartbeat go faster and faster as I continue running, not even knowing where I was going. I needed to find her. Jieun….please be safe.