Chapter 1

As Time Passes

anyeong ~ hope you enjoy the first chapter. please comment on your thoughts! >.< 

 

Click. Beep. Tying noises. Voices. Another beep. Rustles around the room wake me from my slumber and I softly yawn, feeling stiff in my body. I look straight up at the ceiling, reminded of my situation once again. Right…I was in the dreadful hospital. And I had been for seven months now. Hearing voices from somewhere in the bland room, I glance towards the doorway, where a doctor and parents were talking. Hmm, it wasn’t the usual doctor today.

“I’m sorry…there’s no way we can speed up her recovery. This process is not fast and could last for several years, depending on the patient,” The doctor said softly, unaware that I was awake. My parents, grimacing, briskly walked out of the room and shut the door, leaving me alone in the bland room.

I sigh, feeling bad for my parents. They had spent so much money, yet here I was, still stuck in the really uncomfortable bed. My doctor walked over, faking a smile so it wouldn’t be awkward.

“And how are you feeling today, Ji Eun?” He asks brightly, taking up the clipboard on the table beside my bed.

“Tired,” I shortly respond, looking down. Swallowing, the doctor stood there, wondering how to act in this type of situation.

Waiting for him to leave, I stare back at the doctor who, unexpectedly, started talking again. “I have good news!” He paused, waiting for my face to brighten. It didn’t.

“You get to have a wish granted! Any wish you want, since the wish foundation is sponsoring you right now. Isn’t that great?” The doctor waits for my reaction, a big smile plastered onto his face.

Thoughts ran into my mind all at once. A wish? Hardy har har. How lame. The only wish I would have is to get out of this place once and for all. To forget everything. To start over. To never…have lived.

“I don’t need it. Give it to someone else,” I said, standing up slowly and looking towards the window. I could make it today. Gingerly, I lifted my foot. One step done. Softly, I placed it down and lifted my left foot. Could I finally do it? No good, I was falling.

Thump.

Ow.

I hear the doctor gasp, and he runs to the door, calling someone to help me. Of course, his hands were too precious to help a lame like me.

My usual doctor suddenly arrives, and runs over, a worried expression on his face. How nice. He somewhat cared. He scoops my limp body into his arms, steadily carrying me back to my bed. To my prison.

“Thanks,” I muttered lowly, biting my lower lip.

He sighed, shaking his head. “Don’t just start walking. You’re just going to fall,” He scolded me, taking a look at my head to make sure it wasn’t injured. “Remember, 1 o’clock therapy today. Don’t skip like last time, or I’ll have to tell your parents.”

With that, my doctor walks out as I glare at his back. Physical therapy? Why should I go? I don’t need it.

Reaching over, I land my hand on the handle of the wheelchair at the foot of my bed. Dragging it over, I manage to make it close enough to my bed so I could settle my body inside. Okay, let’s go. Wheeling it out the door, I make my usual trip to the bathroom, brushing up before heading out to the hall. Smiling softly, I knock on the door across of mine. A voice responds and I push the bulky door open while wheeling in.

“Suzy!” I say excitedly, happy to see the one friend I had.

“Unnie! I’m so glad you came,” Suzy responds with a radiant smile. She was truly gorgeous. Even with the cords and strands running throughout every possible particle of skin on her body, Suzy was beautiful. Her eyes, her smile, her personality could light up the darkest of days.

I wheel over to her bedside, giving her a quick hug and squeeze on the hand. “I have some good news,” I say, my eyes lighting up when her face brightens.

“Really? That’s rare,” Laughing, Suzy raises an eyebrow, expectant of the piece of information I would share.

“I got sponsored by the foundation. We can have a wish granted!” I grin, even though I had hated the idea just five minutes ago.

The truth was, I hated the wish foundation. My family was rich enough that I had done whatever I wanted to do anyways. For Suzy, though, she wasn’t as fortunate. Actually, she had been in the hospital way before me. Way before any of the other residents here probably. After being born in Korea and diagnosed with an unknown disease, she had stayed in various hospital rooms since birth as none of the hospitals could figure out a cure. Her family didn’t even come to visit her anymore. They…had moved on. What’s even worse is that it was impossible for a girl like Suzy to get support. As her disease was unknown, none of the foundations had it in their guidelines and so they couldn’t really sponsor her. It made no sense, but that was life.

Suzy squeals as she hears my news, grabbing onto my hand. “Really? That’s great for you, Unnie! What are you going to ask?” She asks curiously, tilting her head cutely.

“I’m not going to ask for anything,” I start slowly, knowing she would be confused. “Truth is, I don’t have any wish really. So I came to you for ideas. What do you want to happen?” I ask Suzy, my real thoughts being known.

Suzy’s mouth forms a straight line as she lets go of my hand. “Lee Ji Eun. I’m not going to steal your wish. You think I could agree to your idea? No, the foundation is sponsoring you. Not me,” She says defiantly, looking straight at me. Ah, I knew she would respond like this.

“Suzy, you deserve it way more than me. I don’t even need it…so, please, just choose something. For me, for us,” I say with a small pout, knowing she wouldn’t push me further.

Narrowing her eyes, Suzy looks away, and I knew that she was running the idea through her mind. I slowly start to speak, “We could…ya know…invite one of your favorite kpop groups…” I coax her softly, and she immediately pops her face up.

“Really?” Suzy almost shouts, then widens her eyes and looks back down again. “Well….That…would be…fun…if you really want to. I don’t want to choose for you,” Suzy says cutely, though I knew that she really wanted to see her groups.

“Araseo, I’m going to ask for Infinite to come then,” I say cheekily, grinning when Suzy’s face practically erupts into happiness though she tried to hide it.

“R-really? You’re going to ask that?” She says with wide eyes, squeezing my hand.

“Of course,” I say with a grin, starting to wheel out. “In fact, I’m going to go ask the doctor right now. I’ll visit you later!” Wheeling out, I grin back at Suzy before going back into the hall.