CHAPTER II: The Decision

Let's Pretend

We walked back to the office and I felt everyone’s eyes on me as they stared. I couldn’t stand it and bowed my head, looking at the floor tiles. Who knew the floor design could be interesting? It was quite fascinating right now. I continued walking alongside the others, keeping my pace steady with theirs, while still making sure I don’t look or bump into anyone. I could hear some whispering and even giggling. Wait, what? Giggling?

 

Curiosity got the better of me and I raised my head. I was indeed right. They were not staring at me, they were staring at Mr. Lee who was walking in front of me. And all the girls were giggling and blushing. Huh? He is good looking but to get such response… again, I was confused. I don’t remember him ever visiting the office. And I usually get all the juicy details of who visited who because of my close friend Amber – I’ll tell you all about her some other time. Also, if he can make this much commotion, I doubt I would have stayed ignorant of his visit. Guess I’ll find out later, or hopefully not.

 

We reached Team Lead’s office and went inside. I sat safely on the one-seater sofa and got myself comfortable. This was going to be a long talk, if not longer.

 

All was quiet and most probably thinking until Team Lead cleared his throat and started.

 

“That was a stupid stunt you pulled there. And you cannot continue to use this I-don’t-give-a- attitude on all of us.” He seemed to be seriously upset by whatever it is. Though when I took a quick glance at Mr. Lee, he was simply holding his guitar and not caring for the world. Oh, so that was what the IDGAF Team Lead was referring to.

 

The guy was obviously not caring about his surroundings and he seems to want to marry his guitar. I wonder if he named it as well.

 

“I thought they were asking me so I answered. What was wrong with that?” bluntly said which had Team Lead sighing. I am entire following the gist of this conversation but what was worrying me was that I could get pulled into this mess very soon.

 

“Not saying you were wrong. But you should care more about things like this. You knew very well that things are just crazy busy for all of us. Adding this scandal you just created is going to mess with us a lot. We need to fix this.”

 

“I’m sure it’ll die down and get itself fixed on its own.”

 

“No, we won’t wait for that. We’ll do something about this immediately.” I was listening carefully up to this point until Team Lead said this with a touch of finality on his voice. He then turned to me and had the look that says, contradict-me-and-you’ll-die look.

 

I gulped. This is turning for the worst by the second.

 

“So in turn, we’ll bait the media to think that Miss Gong here is the person you were referring to.”

 

Bait, media, me? Oh boy, what is going on?

 

Mr Lee turned to me and looked at me carefully. He slowly smiled and said, “do what you think is necessary. But don’t expect much from me.” One last look and he stood up, carrying his guitar.

 

He walked to me and got something from his pocket. Laid out his hand and told me, “Hold on to this. You’ll need this key.” Then left out the door.

 

What just happened? A key, what for?

 

“I apologize for that. My nephew tends to be rather… wild with his ways. But he is still a good man. Now, let me explain to you what we were talking about and how important it is that you help us.”

 

I nodded my head to let him know I am ready to hear what he has to say.

 

“My nephew is a famous man. Since you have banned yourself from hearing any news about music, you might not be all familiar with him. He is an up and rising star but he just announced to the world that he is in love with someone.” Well that would explain the stares and giggles a while ago.  

 

“However, you know how counterproductive it is to be in a relationship at this time. So, I have been asked by his manager to help him resolve this issue. We cannot let it go any further.”

 

“Sir, I am awfully confused. You said that you need me to pretend to be Mr. Lee’s first love. I don’t think that will help him since you have mentioned that being in a relationship is not advisable.”

 

“Yes, I did say it is not advisable. Which is why it will be a PRETEND relationship. He cannot pursue anything but he also cannot take back what he has said to the media. That will make him look untrustworthy. We will tell everyone he is in love and that after you heard of this, decided that his intentions are clearly pure and has given him a chance. You will both play the role of two people smitten by love until things die down and we will then break the news that things did not work out.” Wait, what?

 

“Why me?”

 

“You are the epitome of the women he can definitely fall in love with. Read this and you’ll know. Please, I beg you to consider. My nephew can be hard headed but his heart is pure. I cannot let him be swallowed by the media frenzy. And if doing this will help, then I am all for it.” Handing me a magazine that has been opened on a specific page, he left.

 

I looked into the magazine and saw a big picture of the guy that was just in the room with us a while ago. He was wearing a white polo shirt and was just lying on the grass with his guitar by his side. His arms was raised, cradling his head making it show some muscles. Gulped, that looks hot.

 

Then I remembered how he stared at me when I woke up and looked at the eyes staring at the camera in the photo. Chocolate brown eyes paired with dark thick brows. It must have melted and broken a lot of hearts. Then I remembered Team Lead saying that I was the epitome of his ideal girl. I couldn’t help but feel fluttered and blushed. Quickly scanning the other page, I found what I was looking for.

 

Ceci: Maybe you should date. What kind of a woman that would shake your reason?

Jonghyun: Jeon JiHyun, Son YeJin, Park ShiYeon. They are the ideal types in my life. To find the something common between them may be…  they are pure, innocent and y?

 

Ceci: What kind of woman is y for you?

Jonghyun: Like the lyrics in PSY sunbaenim’s song, a girl who puts her hair down when the right time comes.

 

CR: CECI Magazine

 

I frowned, was this me? I am quite timid, and have long hair but I don’t think I would be what you call y.

 

Sighing, I tried to organize my thoughts on how I can get myself disentangled from this mess. He is a man of this world. Someone I can easily get attracted to. But I cannot risk my heart. After all, he is someone way out of my league. Just the mere idea of getting involved, romantic or not, is scary. 

 

Plus, the world he is in is the one place I do not wish to meddle with again. I have learned my lesson. So much is at stake. I am safe from where I currently am. And I cannot afford to go back.

 

Team Lead stepped back into the room before I could even contemplate on the words he left me and the profile he had me read.

 

“I really hope you could help us.” I looked into his eyes and could not, for the life of me fathom why I started to nod instead of say yes. It feels surreal. As if someone has taken over my body.

 

The next thing I know was the same guy I was staring at at the magazine just seconds ago was staring intently at me again. And his lips was curved in to a very bright smile. His dimples so prominent you could have filled it up with water like a glass.

 

He was already too close before I could even stop him. Without breaking eye contact, I heard him say, “So, are you now my girl?”