CHAPTER XIX: The Date and Sweet nothings

Let's Pretend

The next day, I woke up with a bright outlook of life. However, it was quickly cut short after going downstairs to find that I have suddenly become part of the news, and absolutely bad ones.

 

News of how I’m dragging Jonghyun down or how I will potentially hold him back from rising to become the best artist. There were also speculations that I was just trying to use him so I can become famous. There were photos taken of us at the restaurant with pictures of how upset Yoona has become. Articles of how I was coming in between the two and all sorts of other gossips. Other outrageous news was that I was only a front so Jonghyun can secretly date another girl. There were a lot more but they were too many to even think of.

 

I wanted to really get depressed how things could turn from great to just the worst. I don’t really want to cause him trouble. In fact, I wanted to help him. I was getting more and more upset by the minute when my dad came in with a bouquet of yellow freesias and smiling, handed me the flowers. I just know who the flowers were for and why he sent them. Just like that, I felt better.

 

Not a moment longer, I heard my phone rang and his name showed as the caller.

 

“Seungyeon-a, did you get them?” Jonghyun immediately said once he heard me answer the call.

 

My smile even grew wider and brought the flowers to my nose and smelled it.

 

“They look and absolutely divine. Thank you.”

 

“Please don’t get upset by these news. They are nothing for you to take notice of. We know the truth and that should be enough. Right?”

 

“Yes, you’re right. Thank you, for again making me feel better.”

 

“Haven’t I promised you that I will be always here?” I couldn’t think of a more appropriate response to that. I wanted so much to convey how happy I am of what he just said.

 

“I’ll pick you up at 7 o’clock tonight. Let’s have dinner.” Not a question, as if telling me I had no options. Does he think I’d decline had he made it a question? I giggled to that thought, which he heard on the other line.

 

“Why are you laughing?” I could almost imagine the frown he must have while he asks that question.

 

“Nothing really. Just happy.” I said truthfully.

 

“I’m glad then.” He said. The conversation seems to be over at that time but no one attempted to say goodbye nor place the phone down.

 

I heard his manager call him from the background. When he still didn’t say anything, I decided to end the call on my end.

 

“I’ll see you later then.” And ended the call.

 

I placed my phone down and smelled the flowers again.

 

“Have a date?” I almost had a heart attack when I heard my mom asked me that.

 

I instantly blushed after realizing she must have heard all I said on the phone, and my giggle as well. Gosh, how embarrassing.

 

“It’s a nice feeling. Savor it.” When she said it, she seems to be thinking back of the days when she was younger.

 

“How did you and dad met?” She giggled again. Gah! I’m hearing my mom giggle so often. Not that I’m complaining, I just find it funny and amusing.

 

She started to tell me how she and dad met and how she fell in love with dad. Their sweet nothings and those mushy stuff. I saw my dad at a different light. However, it was funny how I was comparing dad with Jonghyun. How both of these men knows taekwondo but are absolutely gentle, Jonghyun with me and my dad with my mom.

 

There were a lot more similarities. When mom gets upset, dad would immediately buy her flowers to cheer her up, just like Jonghyun. Dad, according to mom, also loves to hold her hand and stare at her eyes and brush the back of his hand on her cheeks. While mom tells me all these things, it was really hard not to miss him, which my mom probably felt and teased me about.

 

“If you miss him, then call him.”

 

“Mom…” I whined like a child.

 

“He seems like a good man. He will take care of you. You just need to learn to trust.” She patted my cheek like she will always do when I was a kid.

 

We had lunch together as a family and stayed at the family room just talking and laughing and singing. It was a great day. By dusk, I excused myself to get ready for dinner.

 

He picked me up at exactly 7 o’clock at our house and we had dinner by the sea. The night was calm and the restaurant ambience was really nice. For a change, we simply savored the moment during dinner. We talked about a few things when we were kids, about the things we want to do in the future, and the things we look forward to. We also teased each other and even went out to joke what we’d like if we had superpowers. It was indeed a fun night. Just he and I and everything else fades in to the background.

 

After eating, we decided to walk by the sea and feel the sea breeze. His arms on my shoulder, we walked side by side. We continued with the light discussion that we had during dinner.

 

He dropped me home and said goodnight. The next days were just the same. We would either have lunch or dinner or when he is really busy, he’d drop by with a snack we’ll munch on and just enjoy each other’s company.

 

The news, or gossip, I should say soon died down and people found it more and more accepting as they see us in public, walking hand in hand, laughing and smiling like two lunatics.

 

I like it best when we visit different places like the movie house or the zoo or the amusement parks. Very seldom do I not see him and those days, he’d call me at night and we’ll talk endlessly over the phone.

 

It was easy to forget the things in life when you are happy, I found this utterly true. I almost lost track of time and soon it was about three months and I was due to be back to work. With things falling into place like a jigsaw puzzle, I realized that I have everything I wanted. I decided it was time for me to settle back in Seoul for good.

 

I told my parents of my decision and like any other loving parents, they were ecstatic. My dad even offered to cook me my favorite dishes but made sure that I ask Jonghyun to come eat with us. I pouted at that and said I was starting to get jealous. He gave a boisterous laugh and said that he cooks fine dishes for him since he shows absolute appreciation to it. Well, I couldn’t very argue with that. Jonghyun breathes my dad’s food, not eat it, but breathe it.

 

On one of his visits at home, while we were by the swing, I \told Jonghyun of my decision to quit and go back permanently. He simply said that he would give his support whatever my plan is. I was a bit sad when he said that since I wanted him to tell me he’ll be sad that I would be away and that he would miss me while I am gone to tie up the loose ends at my old office and house. However, my disappointment turned to surprise.

 

“How long will you be there? So I can make changes with my schedule.”

 

When he saw my surprise, he said to me, “You didn’t think I’d let you go there alone, did you?”

 

I pouted and said, “I thought you’d be too busy and won’t be able to visit me.”

 

He jokingly flicked my forehead and said, “I can’t stand not to see for a day and you think I’ll be able to handle not seeing you indefinitely? I’ll die.”

 

How could I have managed to get such a great, cheesy, but great guy like him? I wondered to myself.  

 

Answering his previous question, I said, “I’m not sure yet. Team Lead says he’ll get back to me or advise me once I’m back.”

 

He nodded his head as if contemplating something. My mom then called me to get our snacks and when I came back, he was on the phone and was just ending the call. “Thank you for all the favors, Uncle.” I heard him say.

 

“Was that Team Lead you were on the phone with?” I simply asked while I hand him the snacks and drink.

 

“Ha? Oh, yeah yeah.. uhhmmm.. was just asking him something.”

 

“Oh, thought you were thanking him for a favor.” I said, just thinking randomly about stuff and all.

 

“Yeah, yeah.. That. Uhmm.. I asked him something and thanked him for a favor he helped me with. Yeah, that.”

 

“You’re acting weird,” I told him since he looked a bit flustered.

 

“Me? Of course not. Just enjoying your mom’s cooking. These snacks are still the best.”

 

Haha. I laughed. He simply is the best for both my parent’s ego. He just loves their food.

 

We later on discussed about my arrangement when I get back. We agreed that he’d drive me back and that I might have to stay for a good month there. We’ll meet during his free days and when it’s time to go home, he’ll drive me as well.

 

Soon, I was closing another door, but this time, with a lighter heart.