CHAPTER VII: The Girl

Let's Pretend

We drove in silence this time. The tension palpable. I wanted to break it but couldn’t. I don’t know where to start. I wanted to think things through. He makes me feel I have never felt before. He makes me think things I never thought I’d think again. And even when I think things are hard and I should look away, I will silently feel his pull towards me. It was ridiculous. But then, I have learned that life will always throw you curveballs.

 

Although we were not speaking, I would sneak peeks at him and marvel at how good looking he was.

 

“Is it now your turn to tell me you like what you see?” He turned to me and grinned like a 6-year old boy who has just gotten a treat. Oh, he was adorable at times like this.

 

“Huh? I’m not liking it.” His reaction was spontaneous and the frown that formed in his face was funny. Before he could even say more, I continued, “I’m loving it.”

 

The laughter that boomed after I said it was such a happy laugh, I found myself giggling alongside him. I’ve decided. Whatever it is that will happen, I’ll just go along with it and let things fall in to place. There was no use fighting it. With that thought, I felt lighter.

 

We have also arrived and I stepped out. The place looked rather familiar but I couldn’t quite place it in my memory.

 

 

“I specially liked the food here. And this neighborhood has a very special place in my heart.” He told me as if to explain why he had brought me to a simple restaurant when this was supposed to be our “first date” for the world to see.

 

“I kind of liked it,” I told him.

 

We entered the restaurant before anyone could even notice who he was. Despite wearing a cap shades, he cannot be mistaken for anyone. Upon entering, a motherly lady approached us and immediately hugged him. She even kissed him in the cheeks to further show her affection. He looked like a little boy as he laughed at her.

 

He gestured to introduce me and I was totally surprised and could only squeak when the woman hugged me tightly as if she has known me for a long time.

 

“Oh, it is so wonderful to finally get to meet you. Such a beauty you are, dear. This wicked man has kept you so hidden, it was so frustrating.” I frowned and then realized she must have thought I was the woman he was in love with. I looked up to him to get guidance from him but he was just looking at me and grinning wildly. I silently prodded him to tell me what to say by widening my eyes. But, oh for the love of all that is good, he just laughed.

 

It seems that the old lady was watching that bit of interaction from us because she also laughed and squeezed my arms while saying, “you are absolutely adorable. No wonder he is smitten by you.”

 

I thought then that she must really not know who the lady love is. This old lady will be the first woman we will act as boyfriend-girlfriend so I must as well do a convincing job of it.

 

I smiled at her but couldn’t say much. Instead, I simply said, “A pleasure to finally meet you. Please take care of me.” Then bowed my head.

 

She laughed and finally showed us to the table near the back. It was one of those tables where you can see the people who came in but can’t easily be spotted by the others inside. Quite strategic.

 

The lady said something about a girl named Amber getting our orders. We thanked her and got comfortable in our seats. Not long after, a beautiful girl approached us. She had a slender body and long hair. She seemed timid but has an aura of authority. I looked at him and noticed how his eyes shone brightly upon seeing her. It made my heart ache. Could it be…?

 

“Hey, Oppa, you didn’t tell me you were visiting.” She pouted then smiled. It was too familiar to simply be just that of the waiter and a regular customer.

 

He laughed at her and said, “I couldn’t contact you last night. I knew you worked this shift and decided to just come here to introduce someone to you.” Then winked at her.

 

Well, that sure erased any doubt. They are very close. It was also then that she noticed me and I heard her squeal.

 

“Oh, my gosh! Seungyeon eonnie! It is you,” and before I knew it, she was hugging me tightly. Wow! Do all the people who worked here love hugging? I have met two people and both of which hugged me tightly.

 

Wait, did she called me by my name and addressed me with eonnie?

 

When she finally let go of me, I could see her smiling brightly at me. I looked at the man opposite me and saw him raising his brow. I couldn’t understand what it was for so I turned back to the girl who must be called “Amber”. That was when it hit me. It couldn’t be?

 

“Amber? Im Amber?” she was nodding her head profusely which convinced me. “Oh, gosh, you’ve grown older. I didn’t recognize you.”

 

“Well, it must been a few years since you last saw me. I was only 12 years old then.” I nodded as I remembered that she was indeed rather young then.

 

She was one of the students my mother taught calligraphy. She was a sneaky little girl and my mother would usually scold her for playing instead of studying. I remembered mother would usually find her in my old room as I practice playing the piano and singing. She used to tell me she was my number 1 fan and that no one can get that title from her. A pang of pain hit me and I quietly shook myself. There was no point in thinking such thoughts. She was not part of the mess I have been in.

 

“Are you still my number 1 fan?” I asked. Her and her family transferred to a different city and I lost contact with her. She definitely does not know what has happened to me.

 

“Of course. I love you more that I love oppa Jonghyun.” She proudly told me.

 

“What? Hey!” he said but was obviously concealing laughter. He looked at me and then at Amber and I could see a certain tenderness in his eyes. He was about to playfully hit her when she tactfully evaded it by leaving us with words that food will be served in a bit.

 

He was still laughing and shaking his head as if he could not believe what she just did. I wanted to do the same since I think I may have discovered something. Something that is causing unbearable pain in my heart.

 

It all adds up. A girl with slender body, long hair and almost pale skin. Someone that can make him feel a place is important ad why the motherly lady a while ago is not familiar with the girl he loves. Plus the fact that he was trying to call her last night. I gripped the strap of my bad, which was on my lap. Trying my best to smile.

 

I looked at him as he typed something on his phone. Now that I have met her, Amber, I felt like a fool. She is a wonderful girl. She may be young compared to him but she is such as fiery girl which would suit him fine. It hurts but how could you feel spiteful when you know that you do not hold a torch against her, someone he has loved for a very long time.

 

“Tell me, how did you meet the woman you love?” I suddenly asked. Wanting to find out when he met her and silently telling myself to stop getting hurt since it was a hopeless case anyway.

 

He looked at me and frowned. Not sure why but got the answer I needed. “Why the sudden interest?”

 

“If anybody asks me how we met, then I can easily give them an answer.”

 

“Just tell them how we met. That you were an employee of my uncle and that you saw me sleeping on one of the benches by the park near his company office. It will be easier for both of us to not hide anything from them. We’ll just change the date a bit.”

 

I nodded. Not getting the answer I wanted but not having the courage to further ask.

 

Our food soon came and we ate silently. Each deep in thoughts.

 

“I first saw her at the coffee shop right across this restaurant. I just had my lunch while she was with one of her friends. She was consoling her and I found her rather endearing.” He said and looked at me.

 

I was first surprised and then silently thanked him for telling me those things since I don’t think I will be able to ask a second time.

 

We were again quiet and continued with our meal. We finished our meal and decided to move to the next place in our schedule. We were supposed to meet with his manager to talk about a possible press conference to officially announce our “relationship to the public”.

 

Before we left, Amber came out and we agreed to meet the next day since it was her day off.