CHAPTER XXVI: The Morning After

Let's Pretend

We stayed in my parents’ room for a few more minutes until we all finally decided to go back home and exchanged stories later that day. I offered Krystal and Minhyuk to stay at our house since I have already bothered them that morning. Jonghyun immediately protested, saying that Krystal can stay with me but not Minhyuk. They would both stay at his pad. I agreed and since Jonghyun looked about ready to drop, I decided to drive his car with Krytal to my parents’ house and Minhyuk to Jonghyun’s pad.

 

While on our way, with all the cobwebs cleared and questions answered, I felt lighthearted, enough to tease Krystal.

 

“So what is up with you and Mr. Chinky Eyes there?” I inquired teasingly.

 

“What? What are you talking about? He’s someone Uncle asked to help me out for this project. You probably don’t know him yet since you were out when he first came and you were too preoccupied when you got back.” She said, most likely trying to get the attention away from her.

 

“Oh, don’t try to turn this back to me. You have a lot of talking to do.” I said but when I saw her give me a timid smile, I knew I had to rest my case for now.

 

“Yeah, I kind of do, don’t I?” Krystal said but looked outside of the window.

 

I sighed and did not answer anymore. Knowing fully well that she’s be on her own world. I’d let her think about things first. And I with my own thoughts.

 

We arrived home and prepared to sleep. This time, I slept well until about 10 AM when I was woken up by my clock’s alarm. I quickly freshened up and walked downstairs to the kitchen. Only to be surprised to find Krystal already laying out pancakes and bacon and egg to the table.

 

“I was just about to wake you up.” Krystal said when she spotted me.

 

“You’re up early?” I sort of enquired, wanting to ask more but not wanting to push.

 

“Couldn’t sleep, probably the unfamiliar bed.” She shrugged and so did I. Not for one second did I believe that it was just the bed. After all, she is used to sleeping at hotels. But I let it slipped.

 

“Isn’t this a lot for just the two of us?” I asked when I finally got a full view of all that was laid a the table.

 

Before she could answer, we heard the doorbell rang. That would answer my question. So we were expecting guests.

 

I went to answer the door and opened it to handsome but grumpy looking guys. Jonghyun looks mad while Minhyuk was clearly frowning, not looking happy about something.

 

“Uhmm, good morning to you two.” I tentatively said and all I got was a nod before both headed inside. “Krystal’s in the kitchen.”

 

I closed the door and followed them inside. What I finally saw was quite amusing but I was not interested to interrupt. Silence also ensued as if a bomb has just got dropped. When no one moved or said anything for a minute, I decided to intervene, or so my stomach decided to since it announced its presence with a loud grumble.

 

“So, anyone hungry?” I asked.

 

That lightened the mood and we all sat for breakfast. After eating, we cleared the table. Everyone decided that Jonghyun and I will visit my parents at the hospital while Krystal and Minhyuk will drive back to work on their assignments at work.

 

As Jonghyun and I drove to the hospital, I decided to take my chances and pry a bit about Krystal and Minhyuk. Krystal is, after all, my next closes best friend.

 

“Any idea what is going on between those two?” I started to ask.

 

“Let’s let those two be. They’ll figure it out.” He said.

 

“Didn’t seem like you were letting them be.” I egged him.

 

“Just a bit of warning that Krystal is still my little sister. You get the gist.” I laughed at this.

 

That started our light conversation until we reached the hospital. Once there, we found out that my dad and mom were good to be discharged so we fixed the papers up and drove both of them back home.

 

When we arrived, Jonghyun decided to stay a while. We all stayed in the living room. Dad and mom were sitting in their own lounge chairs for comfort while Jonghyun and I sat at the sofa. It was at that moment that I decided to ask them why they decided to help Jonghyun and even kept things from me.

 

“How long have you known Jonghyun, truthfully?” I asked them.

 

They looked at each other and then at Jonghyun and said together, “awhile.”

 

“How long?”

 

“Since you first came to the countryside.” It was Jonghyun that answered.

 

“Really?!” I was surprised. I didn’t quite expect that, but then, he did know almost everything about me so I should have anticipated that they knew each other for a long time.

 

“You’ve been through a lot and we wanted you to take your time.” My mom said which my dad agreed, evident by his nods.

 

I felt Jonghyun tighten his grasp on my hands and said, “I’ll tell you everything you want to know. Let me begin from the start…”