CHAPTER XIV: The Explanation – Part I

Let's Pretend

“Hi! I’m Minhyuk and I drove this crazy woman here since she offered to drive you to Seoul when she didn’t even have her car with her.” This chink-eyed looking guy said to me while he pointed at Krystal.

 

“Hey! I was frantic and totally forgot you drove me at the site. Well, at least you’ve got something to do.” She said, pouting. I had to raise my eyebrows at that. Krystal never pouts, well, now she seems that she does.

 

“At 2AM? Sure, I was looking for something to do around this time of the day.” He said and had the guts to wink at me. I was supposed to be in an emergency at that moment but I couldn’t help but notice that there was something about this two.

 

“Are you okay?” I finally heard Jonghyun said. And everyone then turned to look at me with concern evident on their eyes.

 

“Yes, I’m fine but I need to get to Seoul. I don’t think I’ll be able to calm myself until I get to the hospital.”

 

“Let me drive you there.” Jonghyun said and motioned to get my stuff.

 

“Hey, can you still drive? Isn’t it a bit difficult for you now?” Krystal said. The way she said it made me startled as if there is something I was missing and I immediately looked at her.

 

“I’m fine. I’d rather have her beside me and drive.” And then he was picking my small suitcase from inside the house.

 

“But..” she started to say again but was immediately interrupted.

 

“I said I’m fine, Krystal. Let’s go.” He held my hand and was about to drag me to the car when I pulled it from his grasp.

 

“I don’t understand what is going on here. Tell me, why were you and Krystal together and why is she saying it’s dangerous for you to drive? What happened to Japan?” Even in the midst of things, I couldn’t help the jealousy. It was stupid, I know, but how do I stop it from surfacing if I don’t know the answers to my questions.

 

“I’ll explain on the way.” He said and added, “we should start on our way. You two can follow us if you want to and if you are that worried.”

 

I let him pull me this time but I quickly turned to Krystal to check if she and Minhyuk would follow us. She smiled at me and indeed, followed us.

 

“Take care and we’ll follow you in Minhyuk’s car.”

 

We were soon on our way to Seoul. It’ll probably be a good 2-3 hours’ drive. For a few minutes, there was silence, an awkward one at that. Silence that we have not had from the first time we met. I looked outside to try and compose myself. My thoughts were all scattered in my brain and were just piling up, I thought I was going to go insane. Half an hour passed and no words were exchanged.

 

He finally broke the silence when he said, “did you not even miss me?”

 

I immediately looked at him and wanted to say that I did, so much it hurts. But there was something holding me back from saying it.

 

I heard him sigh when I didn’t answer. “Can’t you trust me? Is that why you’re not answering?”

 

I noted that his voice sounded sad and a bit resigned. His face also had that look and I felt a bit guilty. Knowing he was right. I was scared that if I answered, he’d hear the mistrust in my voice and I’d ruin everything for the both of us. I was now doubting whether it was right for me to put my trust in him despite all that he has done for me. Even my speculations seems to be absurd, now that I was feeling and letting doubts drown me.

 

“I’m going to say this out loud so we’d both know how important it is for the both of us to just be honest and trust each other. I love you and I will do everything in my power to never make you sad or hurt.” He sighed, grabbed my hand and continued.

 

“I don’t know where or how to begin to explain things. Since you won’t talk, let me start with the most recent happening. Why was I with Krystal, I was not.” I started to say something but he squeezed my hand and said, “Really, I was not. She saw my car outside of you unit.” To this, I frowned.

 

“I arrived from Japan a few hours ago and immediately drove here, hoping that I’d get to you before midnight. But it was already around 1AM when I got arrived and saw that your lights were all out. I decided to catch a nap in the car since I didn’t want anybody knowing I was back in the country and so that I can catch you before you go to work. She probably saw my car and recognized it. That was when I heard her knock my window and she explained to me what happened and why we were both together when you opened the door.” He would glimpse at me for a few times to see if I was listening, and I was. Very intently, at that.

 

“But how did she know it was your car and why were you back, was you work in Japan done? You didn’t even remember to call.” I felt as if a lump from my throat was slowly being scraped out and that bit by bit, I might be able to breathe more freely.

 

He sighed a few times which made me frown before he said, “Krystal’s my sister. She knows all my cars.” He said gravely and side looked at me.

 

I couldn’t help the smile that escaped from my mouth. Both from relief that there was really no possibility, romantically for both, and because my suspicion were slowly being answered.

 

“I guess you’re happy she’s my sister.” He started to tease me.

 

“Hmm?” I didn’t want him to get side tracked because this time, I wanted all the answers. No more maybes, no more whatifs, no more doubts.

 

“How about Japan?” I prompted.

 

Another deep sigh. I don’t understand why it would be hard for him to explain it, judging by his deep sighs, but I’d let him explain himself.

 

“I told you I was going to be in Japan for a promotion, right?” I nodded. “I was but I was also there to distract everyone while my office fixed things here. I know that things have been hard for you here, with all the rumors about me, us, and Yoona. It was all just a distraction to real deal.” When he saw me frown and felt me pull my hand from his grasp, he immediately followed it up by saying, “not for me but for the both of us.”

 

“How do you say for the both of us when you were being linked to her and there photos of you being together?” I said, starting to get mad at him, again. Arrghh, these emotions feels like riding a roller coaster. One second, it is calm and the next, you’re screaming at the top of your lunch.

 

 

“Let me explain first. I know that you are already doing fine and that the past no longer haunts you. But I want you to be totally free of it so we can both start a new beginning. I wanted you to really be free of all your worries. Do you understand that?” I nodded, not knowing where he is getting at.

 

“Just recently, my team and I were able to finally get a hold of a copy of you recording your song, as your single. And this was before Yoona came out with her version of it. Since my promotion to Japan was already out, we decided to push through with it and fix the issue when I go back here. Plus, I haven’t asked you if you wanted to still pursue it.” I shook my head at this. He signed and continued. “However, my team already started with the first move, thinking that it was what we both would want. They have already contacted Yoona’s team, to which Yoona immediately wanted to rectify things and followed me. What you probably would have seen in the news, which I know you did since Krystal had a few good words thrown at me the other day, was her, begging that I reconsider and that if she stayed away from me, we’ll let her keep everything a secret. I said no and told her any actions that my legal team and I will depend on what you decide to do.”

 

“I saw the papers and realized how different the picture they must have painted and wanted to go back straight to you. But I had obligations. I finished them quickly, not getting a bit of wink so that I could fly back home to you. So here I am.”

 

“But you didn’t even call me.” Call me a whiny but I felt it was the right moment to also ask him why he never bothered to call me.

 

He signed, “I knew I was wrong to do that. But after I came to Japan, I just wanted to run back to you, to hell with all the responsibilities. But you’ll probably smack me if I did that. So I just turned off my phone to stop me from getting distracted and wanting to call you every second or stare at your photo the whole time. Luckily, everything went smoothly and we finished all our obligations in just two days. Everything else will have to wait until both of us can fly together.”

 

I forgot about everything for just a second and immersed in the thought that we both feel so attached to each other, it’s like missing a part of you when the other is not around.

 

“I hope you believe all that I said.” He said tentatively when I still didn’t answer.

 

“I believe you, I always will.” I smiled and I heard him sigh a sigh of relief.