CHAPTER V: The Setup

Let's Pretend

We had quite a nice chat about how I don’t know much about music or what he does. About how I didn’t know of his existence before this day but noticed how all the girls at the office were drooling over him. This made him laugh.

 

I then asked him about his work as well like what he likes best with his work and how long he has been doing it. I would have thought he’d have been doing it since he was a kid but was surprised when he said that he has only been a musician for 5 years. So I asked what he was doing before he joined the music industry. He said something about dabbling in arts and stuff. He also mentioned he loved to travel a lot. He even got a few albums out with pictures of him travelling. He went to A LOT of places, I can tell he had so much fun.

 

He went and put out a few games he bought in the different countries and played them each for a bit.

 

We talked a lot about menial stuff, what are our likes and dislikes, and all those stuff. We were already running out of things to discuss when I felt that someone ought to open the discussion for our set up. Plus, when I looked at the window, it was already dark. I looked at the clock opposite us and saw that it was already 8. Wow! Time sure does fly.

 

“So, how are we going to do this?” I bravely asked. I should know since I have been trusted to do this and I should be responsible for my share.

 

“Do you think you can trust me?” he asked instead of answering my question. I frowned but nodded.

 

“It is too early but I think that I should trust you. For this to work.” I elaborated when he seemed to have phased after I nodded to his previous question.

 

When he still have not answered, I asked him to tell me about the girl he is in love with. “Tell me about her. Maybe then, it’ll be easier to think what we should do. She must be beautiful.”

 

He seemed surprised yet dreamy for a split second. He looked at me and told me, “Yes, so very beautiful.” When he says it like that, I feel like he is telling me I am the beautiful one. But when he turns and looks in to the window, my throat feels constricted. Such confusing feelings.

 

“She is strong yet fragile, timid but fierce, she is a paradox.” Again, with a dreamy look but this time, looking into my eyes as if trying to make me imagine just what type of person it is that he has fallen in love with. She is a very lucky woman.

 

“She loves all that is lively and fun. She is almost always the center of attention. Her voice is most captivating. And her warmth can brighten up the whole town. She is just amazing.” Oooh, how I totally get that just from hearing and seeing him describe her. I don’t know what it is I am feeling but the more he describes her, the more I get mad. When there is no reason for me to be mad.

 

“Most of all, she has the sweetest voice when she sings and that was what enthralled me the most about her.” Wow! He really must be in love. Wait, what? She sings?

 

“She sings,” I grabbed the courage to ask.

 

“Yes, yes, she does. Why?” I stared at him. Contemplating on how to best answer that question. How can Team Lead do this to me?

 

“Is there any problem about that? Do you not sing? My manager and uncle know who I love and must have known you can sing to actually get you to help me.” He said and waited for me to answer. But I couldn’t. I was mustering the ability to arrange my thoughts and come up with an answer that did not compose of, just “I”, “you” and “them”.

 

“I don’t like singing.” I told him at last.

 

He must have already mastered the art of hiding emotions. He did not seem fazed or flustered or nervous when I said I could not sing. That should mean something to him. He just told me that the best thing he loved about her was singing and I just told him I cannot sing.

 

He looked straight to my eyes and said, “surely, a few verses and there can work. The media will not ask of you to sing albums after albums if we ever have a press conference about our relationship.”

 

I had my mouth gaping. I needed to escape this route. “Now that we have established that you want me to sing, what else do you expect me to do while in a relationship with you?”

 

“Kiss me?” I gulped. I could do that but I could not very well tell him that. I could feel myself blush. I cleared my throat and told him, “Not that.”

 

“Then how about we start with simple things like go on a date, stroll around the park or by the beach, feed each other food and just have fun together. We don’t need to be Newton to be able to do those.” He playfully winked at me. “People should no longer be surprised when we are together since we are supposed to be dating now.”

 

“I guess.” Aren’t there supposed to still be repercussions? Like antis and haters? I must be right. I can only guess what lays ahead.

 

“So really, how do we do this?” I insisted.

 

“No need to worry too much. Just follow my lead. I won’t let you go anymore and I’ll show you and teach how things will be. For now, let’s have fun.”

 

He stood up and pulled me up to my feet. We’ve been here for a bit and we needed air was what he said before he dragged me out of the studio. I could only squeak.

 

Next thing I know, we were climbing up a narrow stair and when he opened the door, I got surprised with what I saw.

 

It was definitely a starry night. The stars were all twinkling like gems of the sky. The moon was shining brightly with its “cheesy” face.

 

He still held my hand and when we finally stopped, we were in front of this big telescope. “The stars are so bright tonight. I thought I’ll be a waste to not let you see them. And I am sure glad I led you here. You seem a bit happier.”

 

I laughed, “I didn’t feel miserable a while ago.”

 

I looked up into the sky and said, “Being here with a telescope in front of us, the stars feeling like I could touch them anytime, and you, a star by himself, entertaining me like a guest. It feels surreal.” I sighed.

 

“Come.” He gestured for me to get my face closer to the telescope and to look at the star he has focused on.

 

I peered into the telescope, trying to look at which star he wants me to see. I don’t know how I did but I knew he has stood really close and that if I probably turned, I could just be well within an inch from him. It was then that I heard him softly whisper, “Among all the stars in the sky, remember, the brightest is the one that hides in the dark.”

 

I got chills running in my skin and immediately turned to him. I was surprised to find him already standing about a foot away from me and grinning from ear to ear. “Like what you see?”

 

“What?” I asked confused. I was still hung up on what he said. I find his words mysterious yet something tells me that there was a message there just for me. What could it be?

 

“Because I’m liking what I’m seeing,” and winked at me. He raised both his brows at me a couple of times more as if to tease me, then took his turn to view the night sky through the telescope.

 

Did he meant me? And did he mean something about the brightest star? Aaahh, he is such a confusing man. But what I am surprised about was that, I liked that about him.