CHAPTER VI: The Glimpses

Let's Pretend

Waking up to the blaring sound of the alarm clock is always the worst part of the day. I whined and pulled the blanket to cover me from head to toe. I did not want to wake up. I feel like a lot of things will be happening today. I remembered the day before.

 

It was my first time meeting such a guy. He seemed to be unaware of his surroundings and did not have any hang ups. Then he was a tad bit cold to his uncle and would give point blank answers. Yet, I felt his gentle but playful side. As the day wore on, I could feel myself getting pulled towards him. I cannot deny my attraction. It would be pointless. When night came and we were watching the stars, I knew, in my heart that if I allowed myself to fall for him, I might not be able to raise myself from the fall. And that worried me, too much.

 

I sighed and decided it was time to get up. I really have a long day since today, we start our “relationship”. He said something about picking me up at around 8 today. Since it was already 7, I only have an hour to fix myself.

 

I took my shower and was now in front of my closet. So, what do I wear for this date? He said she was timid yet fierce and also strong yet fragile. How do I create that look? But Team Lead did say I was chosen since I mostly fit the image of his first love. Well, this is hard.

 

I sad at the edge of my bed and tried to think about how I think the day may be. Before I could proceed with this line of thinking, I remembered our conversation when he sent me home.

 

“Thank you for driving me back. I could have just taken a taxi since I already have all my things.”

 

“It’s rather late, plus, I promised you. I always keep my promises.” Looking in my eyes, I was hypnotized. Have I mentioned that I am at a very dangerous position because of those eyes? Yep, that I am.

 

“Mr. Lee, I rea..” I was about to continue when I saw him frown and raised his brows at me as if something was annoying him.

 

“If we are going to make this work and have the world believe you are mine, then we should start with how you call me.” He began. Grabbing my arms and pulling me closer to him, he cleared his frown and said, “Jonghyun, Jonghyun-a, Jonghyun-ni, take your pick.”

 

I gulped. The way he was looking at me felt so, I don’t know, seductive perhaps. It was the first time I felt some looking at me seductively and I was getting seduced. I gulped. Not a single word of what he said registered and I just stared at him with my mouth hanging open.

 

“You could can also call me oppa,” he said as if teasing me.

 

I blinked a few times to free myself of the spell he must have placed me and finally called him, “Oppa. I can call you that.”

 

He smiled widely, making both his dimples show. He was no longer looking at me seductively but that did not lessen the sweet tension I can feel between the two of us. I am sure he does not feel the same since he is already in love with somebody else but I still could not stop myself from wishing he felt the same as I did. WOAH! What was that I just thought?

 

I suddenly felt totally scared. He must have sensed it from me since he asked me what the matter was.

 

“I think I’m just tired. Must be all the excitement going on today.” I smiled timidly, trying to rein all the thoughts that was just pouring in and making me feel worse than I already did.

 

“Yes, a lot did happen. I’ll see you tomorrow then. It’ll be a brand new day and I will always be with you.” He must have understood the sudden shift of my mood and left it for me to think about.

 

Holding my hand, he kissed the back of it, said goodbye and left.

 

I stood about another minute by the door after he has left. Still utterly dumbfounded.

 

And here I am now, still acting lost like a lamb. The simple act of choosing clothes is usually just a 2 minute routine but has now eaten up most of my time. How could a single day make me feel so dizzy my head hurts? I could not possibly be already THAT attracted to him. I’ve only known him for a day. Not even 24 hours. Yet, every time his name comes up to mind, which was often than I was comfortable with, I can feel my heart flutter and my lips would just burst to a smile.

 

I shook myself back to the present and decided that the thinking can wait a few more hours but the dressing can’t. He’ll be knocking anytime now.

 

Staring at my closet, I realized that my current wardrobe does not hold any “nice” dress. I turned my back to it and opened the door next to my personal bathroom. It has been so long since I last went inside of it. It was an adjoining door to the room that I would not have wanted to enter but this qualifies for something very important and I needed stuff from it.

 

I opened it and found the room looking the same as it did 5 years ago. The sofa bed still neatly kept and is at far side by the window. Beside it was the walk in closet. I looked straight up, keeping my eyes locked in at the door of the closet. Once inside, I the light and sighed deeply. Before any memories come rushing back, I started my search for today’s dress and any other clothing I may need in future schedules. I’ll have them all transferred in my present closet.

 

I chose a simple jeans dress with a yellow coat and some of the other pieces. Once done, I immediately stepped out. Once back at my own room, I felt a single tear drop from my eyes. I reminded myself that it should all be in the past now. Letting it get to me will be my downfall. I have made it this far, no one can put me down anymore.

 

I realized, very few people must know who his first love is so I shouldn’t worry much. I wore the dress and held the coat. While fixing and making sure I have all I need in my bag, I heard the bell rang.

 

Opening the gate, I saw him smiling at me and holding yellow freesias. Slowly, his mouth formed that smile I’ve seen from him a couple of times. And my heart started to thud wildly again. I should get used to this. It doesn’t seem like it’s going to stop soon.

 

“For the most beautiful lady,” and handed me the flowers.

 

I felt myself blushed and thanked him for the flowers.

 

“I’ll just put this in a vase. Please come in.”

 

I immediately picked up a vase from the kitchen and put water and the flowers in it.

 

When I get back, I saw him walking around my small living room and looking confused. I stood beside him and asked if he needed anything before we go.

 

“I was just wondering. There are pictures of you when you were young and up to high school. But no pictures after that. I wanted to find out what you have been up to before we met.”

 

I looked away. “There was nothing much to see so no pictures were taken.”

 

I turned back to him and smiled. His frown got deeper as if seeing that I did not like where our conversation was heading and that my smile may have looked awkward or even pained.

 

He sighed and said, “let’s go.”