CHAPTER XXIII: The Chase

Let's Pretend

Waking up the next day should have been difficult for me since I couldn’t sleep again last night. For one, my mind was full of questions that cannot be answered yet and two, I didn’t receive any message, not a call, text nor email, from him. I was restless the whole night. I wanted to call him but thought better than to disturb him during his promotions.

 

As soon as my alarm rang, I was up and preparing to go to the office. Once at the office, I checked on Krystal but when I got to her station, she was not there. I checked with Team Lead’s secretary and was informed that he will be out the whole day and until the end of the week.  

 

I was getting restless and could not concentrate at all. My usual work, which I normally can do in just an hour was taking up too much time because of errors and whatnot. I now get to finish them after two hours or so and that, if have really focus on it.

 

By the end of the day, my mind might have probably gone to Japan and back and to the past and present for a millionth time. I was not physically tired but my mind was drained from thinking of what ifs and whatnots. I went home and decided to contact my parents around the time they have finished their dinner. But to my frustration, when I tried to dial their number, there was no answer.

 

It was getting rather irritating but I didn’t get through to anybody that night. I decided to call it a day and that tomorrow should be another day and prepared to go to sleep. Once at the comfort of my bed, I looked back on what had happened to me yesterday and that day. They were too much but I guess I have gotten used to them by now. What was bothering me was that though the articles may not be true, I never got a call from Jonghyun to even tell me what was going on.

 

But with the theory that I suddenly have, I was not all that worried. And like everyone said, I had to trust. I was a little bit past midnight when I woke up to the irritating sound of the persistent ringing of my phone. I had not been putting my phone on a silent mode, thinking I might get a late night call. When I finally got to talk to the other person in line, I just wanted to go back in time, yet again. It was from a nurse at the Seoul Hospital informing me that my parents had been in an accident.

 

I suddenly got the cold feeling. It felt like it was how it felt years ago and I had to rush to Eric’s side. I felt like crying but I knew I had to find a way to get back to Seoul first. It was about 2AM in the morning and I have no car. The bus stations are all closed so there is no way for me to get there as soon as I can.

 

I wanted to call Jonghyun since he always seemed to be capable of helping me during difficult times, but he is currently out of the country. I decided to call Krystal to ask for help. After probably 5 rings, she finally answered the call in her groggy voice.

 

“Uhhhmmm.. Can you help me? I need to go to Seoul and I don’t really know how that can be possible for me right now.” I frantically said without the many preliminary words.

 

I immediately heard her voice sound alert and asked me, “Why? Why do you need to go now that it can’t wait?”

 

“I got a call from the hospital that my parents were in an accident. I don’t know how I’ll be able to get to Seoul right now and I could only think of you.” I ended my sentence, almost on a half sob. I don’t know why I was feeling so helpless at the moment. It must be the memory plus the worry.

 

“Don’t panic, I’ll be there and I can drive you back to Seoul. I’m at the next town but I should be by your door in like 20 minutes.” I can already here the sound of things getting haphazardly packed. I felt a bit relieved that at least I had her to help me and that it would just be a few hours til I am back in the city.

 

“Thank you! I’ll prepare my stuff as well and wait for you here.”

 

After my phone call with Krystal, I packed a few clothes and other necessities. Once that was done, I finally remembered to call Eric and advise him of the current situation. He sounded as frantic as I am. He immediately said that he’ll be driving to the hospital and wait for when I get there. I thanked him and we both said goodbye. It was probably a few minutes after that, while I bit my nails and paced to and from, checking the time and if there was someone ringing my door, that I finally heard the doorbell.

 

I immediately opened the door and stood by the door for a few seconds, stunned to silence.

 

There, in front of me, stood Krystal. But with her was Jonghyun. They both looked at me, worried. For a few seconds, my mind run wild. What was Jonghyun doing back in Korea when he should be in Japan? I only called Krystal, so why were they both here together?

 

I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. Can all these things just stop? I mean, why always throw these curveballs at me? Well, since we’re already talking about throwing things, I was, for one moment, tempted to throw things both at them.

 

Before I could do that, someone cleared his throat and got my attention. I turned to him, frowning.

 

“I could see the wheels turn in your head. Don’t jump to any conclusion yet.” And that was when I saw him smile.