CHAPTER XI: The Calm

Let's Pretend

The emotions were flooding in me but I needed to have a grip on reality. I have already fallen, if I continue on this manner, I might never survive and get up. He might have fallen in love with me for years now, but it has been a very short time for me. And also, and I fear the truth, that he may have loved the “me” in his mind but not the real me.

 

As I processed these thoughts, different emotions emerged and I feel they would all just burst out and leave me like an empty shell. I was ecstatic, happy, sad, and scared.

 

“I will wait for you. For however long it takes. But I needed you to know that from the moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew, there was nobody else for me. Just you.” Looking intently in my eyes, I felt them become teary and I very much wanted to cry.

 

I closed my eyes, gathered the very last strand of wit left in me and said, “thank you for giving me the second chance I never got. I need to find myself before I can start a new chapter.”

 

“I understand.” As if an agreement has been signed between two of us, you could see us slowly take on a more relaxed position. Smiles started to grow on our faces and that was when we noticed that Amber has already left us. Just him and I.

 

We both know that a lot of questions were still left hanging in the air but it was something for the future, for now, we will enjoy the moment.

 

Holding hands we left the café and started to walk, with no particular destination. We laughed and talked and just walked along the streets, not caring if anyone would see us. Anyway, people knew we were “dating”. It would not be surprising to the fans nor to the media.

 

By the end of the street, we a saw an amusement park and decided to try some of the rides. There was the bump car, the different roller coaster and even the silly merry go round.

 

“This is so much fun,” he said while grinning like a little satisfied boy.

 

“How long has it been since you last went out?”

 

“A long time… let’s go get on the ferris wheel. I think it’ll also be fun.” Already dragging me to the line for the ferris wheel. I couldn’t complain much.

 

We got on and instead of sitting side by side, he went and sat right next to me. The moment was rather a cliché. We were rising to the top of the ride while the sun was setting. But at that very moment, everything else stopped and the man beside me was the center of my attention.

 

I couldn’t stop myself from turning towards him and smile. He was wonderful.

 

I felt him raise his hands and slowly place his palms and his thumbs brush my cheeks. I tried to control the gasp that wanted to escape but to no avail.

 

We probably have stared at each other more times than I can count but I couldn’t really help getting by his brown eyes. My eyes were slowly fluttering to close when I heard him say.

 

Even if you cried or regretted yesterday, please forget it now.” He let go of my face and I leaned against him. My head resting on his shoulders. We rode the rest of the ride with that same position.

 

We had dinner at one of the restaurant near the amusement park. The ambience was light and there was a certain air of calmness. Everything was just perfect, almost, until a sudden commotion outside the restaurant brought me back to reality.

 

The restaurant manager immediately approached us to inform us that a crowd has gathered outside protesting about my relationship with him. They find it a disgrace and unacceptable that someone like me, a fraudster and nobody, is his girlfriend. It made me wonder if we were indeed doing the right thing. Without finishing our food, we got up and went out through the back door.

 

Once in the comfort of his car, he took the call from his manager and most probably discussed the repercussions of the recent events. Our bubble has just burst and it was time to go back to reality. I could only hear him say Yes and No to whatever his manager was saying.

 

I looked outside the window as he drove back to my apartment. I thought of all the events that led to this very moment and grim thoughts came. I could ruin his career. His fans are right. I am nobody. Nothing to be proud of. The one thing I claim to be mine was even stolen from me. I did not even feel the car stop or the tears that fell from my eyes until he wiped them from my eyes.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“How could it be a nothing when tears fall from your eyes? I am here. I will protect you.”

 

That is just it. You would protect me but who will protect you?

 

I smiled and said, “I was just thinking about everything that has happened. And I realized I have a lot of loose ends to attend to. You will wait for me…?” I left the question a bit hanging. Knowing what his answer would be but fearing it all the same.

 

“Til the end of time.”

 

Gulped. Looking straight ahead, I said, “I will be gone for a while. No need to look for me.”

 

Then I looked at him, hoping to reassure him and reassure myself, “I will be back.”

 

Grabbing my hands and kissing the back of it gave me strength. “Take your time. I will be right here.”

 

Reaching my apartment, we got out of the. Standing outside of the door, I felt rooted in place. After this day end, tomorrow will be a whole new day. One where I would face a battle without him. I wonder how he has brought a huge change in my life in just a very very short period of time. I did not get the chance to dwell much about it. I felt him inch closer to me.

 

He raised his hands, touched my chin and had me look in to him. Slowly, I felt his face come near me and I closed my eyes. It felt like forever when I felt his breath fan my face and I felt his lips touch cheeks. I still could not open my eyes so kept them tightly shut.

 

It was at that moment I heard him whisper in my ears, “Remember, I will always be here. I will protect you. All you have to do is call me.”

 

By the time I opened my eyes, he was already walking back to the car. Before getting to the driver’s seat, he waived a goodbye and then rode off.

 

Tomorrow, I will face my past…