CHAPTER XX: The First Kiss

Let's Pretend

All the things that have happened in a very short span of time, well, a few months, just seemed like a story in a book.

 

It was exactly a week after our last conversation that we were driving back to my old office and house. It was becoming a habit for him to have one of his hand on the wheel while the other holds mine. He would smell or kiss the back of it from time to time. I have reciprocated this gesture, at times, just to get him to smile his satisfied winning look. At the same time, I’ve also realized that the butterflies in my stomach have declared residency and have not left it since I met him. I have grown accustomed to the feeling. There were just times that I would feel it a bit more intense than some other days and the butterfly feeling will sometimes come along with the bright blushing of my face and the rebounding pounds of my heart in my chest. Today was one of those days.

 

We were nearing my old unit at the countryside when he took a quick look at me and out of nowhere said, “In 26 years, time never passed quickly until now. Why is that?”

 

“Time flies when you’re having fun, or so they say.” I said and looked at him.

 

“I never want this day to end.” Sighing, he said. I know exactly how he feels since every time we need to part, I’d suddenly get sad.

 

We parked in front of my unit only to get my things inside. We then drove to a restaurant by the sea and had lunch. There was always that companionable silence between the two of us. As if a silent agreement that we won’t discuss anything anymore. We spent the day together, just walking along the beach, checking the nearby park, eating from the side street and eating at the my favorite restaurant for dinner.

 

By the time we were again parked in front of my unit to call it a day, we were exhausted but had a great time.

 

“I might be gone for more than a week to finalize the deals in Japan.”

 

“I hope things work well and have fun at your concert.” I told him. Not wanting to tell him how much I will be sad when he is away. I don’t want to scare him by starting to become clingy.

 

“Will you not miss me?” I immediately looked at him to see if he was teasing but when I turned, he looked really sad and as if hurt. Just the thought of him thinking that I will not miss him was funny.

 

“Oppa, I will definitely miss you.” I said, not noticing that I was pouting.

 

“Ah, so my Seungyeon will be thinking of me a lot, right?” This time, he was smiling sheepishly with a glint of mischief on his eyes.

 

I thought to play along and said, “Of course, Oppa.”

 

“I will miss you more.” He then held my hand and kissed it once more. But what surprised me was the thing in between our clasped hands. When he let go of my hand and I turned to look at what was in there, I gasped. It was a white gold necklace with a guitar as pendant and three emerald stones, or so I think, on each side of the guitar. The

 

I was speechless and could only look at him.

 

“I have met so many people in my life, but you were the best among them. You inspire in ways you may not even be aware of.” He looked at me intently while holding the pendant.

 

“You didn’t have to give me something…” he cut me off by softly pinching my lips with his thumb and pointing finger.

 

“That is not for you but for me. I want you to always remember me so please wear it always and thing of me.” He let go of my lips and I gulped at the intensity of the look he was giving me. When he moved his stare towards my lips, I stopped breathing for a few seconds. Slowly, I felt him move his head towards mine and I just couldn’t move. His one hand was now on the back of my neck and I instinctively closed my eyes. I was already accustomed to the new beating of my heart but this time, it is pounding like it never had before.  

 

A few seconds and I felt his lips touch mine. A simple brush of his lips with mine and all thoughts flew out of my mind. My breath hitched but I kept my eyes closed. His lips again, touched mine and it lingered and stayed. I felt how soft and warm his lips. He remained unmoving for a few seconds with only thumb slowly caressing my nape as if to make me relax. And I did.

 

It was over before I knew it and I slowly opened my eyes. He had his forehead next to mine and he was staring at me. We stayed like that for I don’t know how long. All I knew was that I didn’t want to end the moment.

 

It was a few seconds later when we suddenly got interrupted by the sound of the rain falling heavily from the sky. It was a quick and heavy downpour. He also got a call from his manager reminding him to be ready to at the airport in two hours.

 

Without thinking and surprising me, he stepped out of the car and went to get something from the trunk. When he came back, He handed me a Simpson umbrella which made me immediately laugh. He frowned.

 

“You went out to get me an umbrella?” He nodded.

 

“I could have simply run to my house.”

 

“But then you would have gotten wet.”

 

“Yes, but that is already my house and I can just get a shower after.”

 

“You might get sick and that won’t do. Especially that you will be alone.” How could I argue with that statement?

 

I looked at the umbrella in my hand again and couldn’t help the laugh that came out.  

 

“What? What’s funny again?” he looked utterly confused.

 

“You have a funny taste on an umbrella.”

 

“Ah, that. Well it’s actually something that hyung gave me since he always catches me without an umbrella at the most opportune time.”

 

To this, I laughed as well. He raised his brows and I explained.

 

“It’s just that every time I’d get caught stuck at the office because of a downpour just like this, I’d have Louie, one of the guards at the office, hand me an umbrella with this same design. It’s quite amusing how similar it.”

 

“Ah, yeah, quite amusing.”

 

“Be careful on your trip.” I told him. Realizing that he would need to leave soon before we both forget.

 

“Stay safe and always remember me.” He said while holding my face with his palm. I simply nodded my reply. Trying hard not to let the tears fall at our separation.

 

He quickly gave me another peck on the lips and soon, I got out of the car. I watched as he drove away. That night, I felt utterly sad. The sound of the rain and the thunder also added to the gloom.