CHAPTER XII: The Past

Let's Pretend

Sipping my cup of coffee, I stared blankly at the open window. I have all the things I may need in my bag. I am now willingly remembering the past as I will have to face it head on.

 

We were sitting at the garden and was just taking a very quick break. Dance rehearsals that day was just purely gruesome.

 

“Congratulations. I hear that your leaked recording is getting very good response and everyone is just simply training to find out who you are.” Yoona looked at me with her happy face.

 

Yoona and I have been friends for years. We first met each other in one of my piano classes. Ever since then, we’ve been together. She was an only child and only has her mother to guide her, so she’s kind of like an adopted sister in the family. We became trainee at the same time and has been each other’s strength.

 

“I was really sad when they said I will do a solo debut. I wanted us to be a duo. So I’m happy but I’m not, at the same time.” I truthfully told her. I had this vision that both of us will be together at our very first concert, standing at the stage, singing the same song, enjoying the moment. Seems like fate has a different plan for the both of us.

 

“Don’t be. Just simply enjoy the moment. Remember, your no. 1 fan, Amber, is waiting for your album.” She teased. Reminding me of Amber, the sweet girl next door that would usually listen to me play my piano and would declare that she is my no.1 fan. She and her family has transferred houses and it has been a while since I last saw her.

 

Smiling, I said, “I’d probably have to call her soon and give her the good news before she calls me and tells me I’ve forgotten her.”

 

“You seriously have got it made, girl. Everything is handed to you.” It was usually something she would tell me and I will laugh with her.

 

We soon decided to get back.

 

Later that day, while I was spending some time at the recording studio, I got a call from an unknown number. I hesitantly answered the call but got surprised with who it was from.

 

“Hello, this is from Osaka Red Cross Hospital and we are looking for Ms. Gong Seung Yeon. Is she available?”

 

Having taken English lessons since high school, I was able to immediately understand the person on the other line and can answer.

 

“I am Seung Yeon. How my I help you?”

 

“We’re sorry to have to inform you but we’re calling in an accident that Mr. Eric Nam had earlier today. He is currently in the operating room to undergo operations for his legs. You were the only person noted on his file as his immediate contact and we’d like to find out if there is anyone here who may assist him while he is here.”

 

I couldn’t comprehend what the girl on the other line was saying. Eric? Accident? Immediate contact? My mind was in a blur.

 

“Hello? Are you still there ma’am?”

 

“Yes. Yes, I am still here. Will he be okay?”

 

“We still don’t know yet and we’ll have to wait a few hours to finish the operation and for him to recover. Do you know anyone who we can call regarding his situation and who may be able to assist him?”

 

“His parents are already dead and he does not have any relatives there. Can I have the exact address?” I asked, already trying to figure out how I will be able to get to him. Normally, I would have been able to immediately attend to him after asking my parents. But, I am in the middle of a busy schedule, what with the possible debut. I knew in my heart that I will be flying there. The only question is what I am sacrificing.

 

Eric is my closest friend. We’ve known each other for forever. Though he was older than I am, he was like the older brother I never had. I was there to help him get over the death of him parents from a plane accident when we were kids. He was my savior from possible bullies and the person who comforted me when my dog, Lala, died. We separated a few years back when he had to join the military and was only shortly together before he left again for work in Japan.

 

I immediately called my mom and dad and told them of the call I got from the hospital. They also had the same worry as I am and even offered to go and visit him on my behalf. I knew in my heart that I would just be worried sick if I was not the one to go and check on him so I told them that I will quickly fly to Japan and tell them if we will need them.

 

I ran to the head producer’s office to advise him of the situation when I ran into Yoona. Seeing my current state, she immediately asked what was going on. I explained to her the situation while we head to our destination. Once there, we found out that there was a meeting for almost all the producers and they may not be back until late that day. I knew that I had to leave soon and I still a few things to fix. I was mumbling my frustration when Yoona volunteered to tell the producers of the situation so I can go safely. I thought that it was the best solution. I also asked her if she can get the producer’s number so I can contact him personally and send my apologies. She agreed and I felt better with the decision I have made.

 

I left the office and immediately prepared to fly to Japan. Good thing it was not a peaks season so it was not difficult for me to find a flight going to Osaka. It was about 4-5 hours from the time I got the call when I finally arrived at the reception desk of the hospital. They gave me the room number since they have already transferred him from the recovery room to a private room.

 

Upon entering, my heart broke when I saw his face with cuts and bruises. His leg was in a cast and there was a tube on his chest leading to a bottle. The nurse said he was still unconscious since it was just a few hours after the operation. He may resume his consciousness in the next 8-12 hours perhaps.

 

I sat at the chair nearest his bed and cried. I cried because of the way he was suffering. I cried because he was alone during his ordeal. And I cried because of how he might react once he wakes up. I simply sat on that chair for hours just thinking of the past and the things we both enjoyed as kids. The nurse would come and go to check on his vital signs and make sure that his IV drip was set correctly as advised by the doctor.

 

I didn’t even notice when it was I fell asleep and by the time I regain consciousness, I was already staring at Eric;s eyes. We just stared for a couple of second until I broke the silence.

 

“That was some stunt you pulled there.” I teased. He was a bit of a daredevil. He would try all kinds of things saying that, “Life is too short. Enjoy it while you still can.” A principle he learned after he accepted the death of his parents. Sometimes, I feel that it was his way of coping with the pain. And I let him because I’d rather see the excitement than anguish in his eyes.

 

He groaned but I could see him smirking inside the oxygen mask. The nurse came in to check up on him and said, “he’s recovering really well. I’ll tell the doctors he’s awake so they can check up on him.”

 

The doctor came in not a long after and said the same thing, he was doing really well and seems to be recovering. After the doctor’s visit, Eric fell asleep again. The next few days was like that. He would wake up and then fall asleep just as soon as the check-up was done. He’d wake up for the meals and just quickly fall asleep. We would chat and laugh in between his check-up, meals and sleep routines.

 

I’ve already called my parents and told them of the positive recovery Eric was showing. They’ve also decided to fly the next weekend to help me at the hospital, not that I was complaining. In fact, I was happy that I could take care of my best friend.

 

On the other hand, Yoona has been unreachable since I flew to Japan. All my calls, text messages and emails went unanswered. I was getting worried but I had to keep composed.