CHAPTER XV: The Encounter

Let's Pretend

He didn't ask more after that and I was happy he left me with alone while I still try to figure things out. We chatted some more until it was time for me to go. Eric offered to drive me home.

"I think I can take it from here." A male voice that was now so familiar to me interjected.

I looked up to confirm if what I heard was right. And I was! Standing right beside our table was Jonghyun looking rather suave with his white shirt. Oh, stop ogling him. It was then that I noticed him looking rather grim. I frowned.

I had two questions at the time. One, why does he look mad and two, why was he here.

"I'm sure it'll be easier for me to drive her home. I'm quite familiar with the place." Eric answered and I just felt that his answer was making the situation worse than it originally was.

I could see both of them eye each other. Eric still on his seat and Jonghyun on his feet, as if refusing to give in to whatever it is.

 

“I don’t believe I have met you.” Eric said, rising to his feet by now.

"I'm sure it'll be better for you to go with your boyfriend, right?" Jonghyun said, looking straight into my eyes. Then, turning to look at Eric, held his hand and added, “I’m Lee Jonghyun, her boyfriend.”

 

Eric shook Jonghyun’s hand and introduced himself. “I’m Eric, her friend. I’m sure she’s told you about me.”

 

“Nope, I’ve never heard you mentioned before.” Jonghyun said. He then turned to me and said, “Shall we go now?” I know he said it like a question but I felt that it was more of a command. What is happening here?

"With our special situation here, I think it'll be better if she goes with me." Eric interjected and stressed on the word special. I turned to look at him to see what he meant by that. But alas, no answer can be seen.

I cleared my throat to relieve the dryness in my throat and to also try to ease the tension I was suddenly feeling. I looked back and forth at them. Jonghyun looked upset, of which I'm not sure what about, and Eric had a certain glint on his eyes and I knew he was just cooking something up.

Making up my mind, I was about to say who gets to drive me home when dad came and saved the day, well.

Dad stood next to Jonghyun and said, "let me drive her home, son."

Jonghyun nodded but I was confused.

"You two know each other."

Dad quickly looked away and cleared his throat. "Well.. Ah.. Uhmm.."

"I'm sure with the entertainment news buzzing about the two of us, your dad knows me now. I'm also sure everyone here knows who you are and what you are to me." He looked directly at me and that was when I realized, he was right. A lot of people know about me now and recognize me as his girlfriend. Sure enough, people in the cafe were looking at us.

He gestured for me to stand up so I did and he led me to walk outside of the cafe. Dad and Eric following behind us.

"I hope you be mindful of your actions and the people you go with." He whispered to me right before he stepped away and bowed to my dad.

 

I realized that what he said was right. I should be careful of where I go and who I go with. I can affect his reputation now. Though I was wondering what was wrong with going out with friends. It’s not as if we were out late at night or we went to some suspicious place. It was still day and we were on the café my friend owns.

After getting inside the car, I remembered about dad recognizing Jonghyun and decided to ask him about that.

 

“Dad, I didn’t know you knew Jonghyun.” I turned to him and said.

 

“Oh, uhm, it was just those times. You know, uhhmm.. television and everything.” I frowned. I didn’t exactly ask much but dad was sure acting weird.

 

Before I could even ask him more questions, he the radio and I knew how important it is for him to listen to his baseball games. So I decided it was not a pressing matter and kept quiet. I thought about today’s event and what happened in the cafe. By the time dad and I arrived home, I had so many questions in my mind of which none had answers. How did he know where to find me? Why was he acting a bit weird and distant? Was he mad at me? Why does dad know about him?

There were so many questions that I wanted some answers. I was on this line of thinking when I received a phone call from my previous trainer. She told me about Yoona's schedule and that her friend was able to set up a dinner appointment with Yoona the next day. Though I was informed that she would be at the restaurant to also meet some people for business and will only be available for a very short period of time.

I thanked my trainer and now I have other thoughts swirling through my mind. I was nervous and scared. What does it feel like to face a friend who has betrayed you at the time you trusted her most? Sometimes I wish I could turn back time. But to when exactly?

That night, I was too restless. I couldn’t stop from overthinking things. But alas, tomorrow is another day. All the questions will be answered, in time, I hope.