CHAPTER XIV: The Cafe

Let's Pretend

My parent’s house have not changed much. I was still the same. I knocked on the door and for a second thought that nobody was home until the door opened and I saw my mom’s face. She had a look of shock at first until tears started falling from her eyes and she hugged me until I thought I could no longer breathe.

 

I got the same reception from my dad who went to check on my mom when she didn’t immediately return. We had a bit of a reunion, to say the least. I think they were trying their best not to be nosy for parents but I knew that I would have to explain my sudden appearance.

 

I think that I have indeed changed a lot in just a few days because now, I felt that I should just face things head on rather than keep them within me.

 

“I decided to get a closure for the drama we had years ago. Or else, I won’t be able to look ahead of me.”

 

I saw my parents quickly exchanged puzzled looks. There was an awkward pause when my dad finally asked, “Does this sudden decision have anything to do with the news we received a few days ago?”

 

I smiled and said, “I’m not at all sure as well, dad. But I now know that the past has its own way of running after you. So instead of getting chased, I’d rather punch it straight in its face.” I kind of had to soften the blow with that statement by laughing at the end and adding a side hug to my dad.

 

They still had incredulous looks on their faces but let the issue go. It was probably an hour or so after I came home when I decided to call someone who might be able to help me in meeting Yoona.

 

I decided to call our former music trainer and tell her about what I needed to do. When the chaos broke out, she was one of the few people who knew the truth and wanted to help me. But I knew that it would make a huge impact on her career so I told her to not to do anything hasty. My call finally got connected to her and the moment she heard me and my request, she immediately agreed to help me. She is no longer working for the same entertainment company but having worked there for years, you’ll know someone who in chance will know some that knows the person you need to talk to.

 

I decided to visit Eric while waiting for my trainer’s call back. Eric left the house a few months after I went away. He finished his rehabilitation and bit by bit helped himself up. I knew he bought a few properties from the inheritance he got from his parents and are now managing those.

 

On our way to Eric’s place, Dad decided to ask me this question, “Is it all just pretend?”

 

I looked at him and shook my head to say no. “But I don’t think I have the answers to any more other questions, Dad.”

 

He simply nodded and continued driving. I couldn’t help but catch the smile that was slightly showing on his face and wondered if my answer was sufficient for him. I knew in my heart that I would want him to support me.

 

Not a moment later, we were in front of a rather chic café. We went in and I thought that Eric would probably be just sipping his favorite coffee or something. To my surprise, I saw him behind the counter and showing something to the cashier.

 

He spotted us and the look of surprise on his face was simply priceless. He immediately went to greet us. The hug he gave me was so tight I thought I might not be able to breathe.

 

“Can’t breathe… need to leave…” I dramatically said to him to emphasize my point. He immediately laughed and stepped back a bit.

 

Holding my face in both of his palms, he said, “how have you been?”

 

I was indeed back home. “I feel better now.”

 

It was then that my dad decided to leave us and Eric and I went to a table further at the back to get a bit more privacy.

 

“This place looks absolutely nice. But the name is intriguing, To the Future, but the place does not seem futuristic-like. Rather, it seems quaint.” I asked, starting the conversation by asking him about the name of the café.

 

“I’d like to celebrate the past and the present while to the future. Appreciate your past, work hard on your present and look forward to the future. I had those thoughts when I started to conceptualize this café.” He said thoughtfully.

 

WAIT! His thoughts?

 

“Yours? Do you mean this is yours?”

 

“Yes, didn’t dad tell you?” He looked at me a bit confused. I shook my head to that.

 

“Wow! So this is yours, huh? You did great!” I was so proud of him. So he had finally decided to stay at one place.

 

We continued on with our conversation, a mixture of funny stories here and there, a few stories from our childhood days, and a bit of his plans for the future, clearly avoiding the inevitable topic.

 

However, reprieve is short and I know he is just testing the waters and soon we will have to discuss it.

 

“How are you?” I knew his question was not just simply to ask me how I am but his way of asking if I was already over the past.

 

“You can’t always be followed by the ghost of the past. Eventually, I’ll have to face it and seal the coffin. This is me facing my past and putting an end to it.” I told him emotionally. A lone tear fell from my eyes for I knew he would understand me. He would be able to console me. But this time, at the back of my mind, I wonder why I have Jonghyun’s face popping in it as well.

 

“Is this sudden change in perspective have something to do with a certain someone?” I initially thought he was teasing but when I looked him straight in the eyes, I see the seriousness in them and the need to know the truth.

 

“Yes. Will it be bad if that is the case?” I asked, really wondering what he thinks of the whole situation. I have trusted too much before and the pain of betrayal is just too much. This time, I will try to guard my heart as much as I can. Only, I know that I might not be able to keep my resolve. After all, I have already fallen.

 

“I just wanted to know. He seems like a good guy but I’d like to meet him to find out more.” This time he smiled and winked at me. And then adding, “anyone who’ll look after you is a good in my book.”