CHAPTER IX: The Press

Let's Pretend

This was it! It was just the third day but I could feel a lot of things have happened and that there are still more to happen. The driver arrived early today and picked me up to send me to the salon for the hair, make up and even the fitting of the dress. I just finished getting ready to go to the hotel where the conference will be held.

 

On the way, I concentrated on calming my nerves. Otherwise, I won’t be able to make it and I would probably run away. It has worked before but today, someone else is relying on me and I need to stand firm. I wonder if I would have stood up to this challenge had it been a different person waiting for me.

 

We’ve finally arrived and I was being escorted to one of the rooms near the conference hall. I will meet him there and we will both read the questions and find out the answers that will help the both of us. I have been deeply contemplating on why we did not take a longer time to get the questions and answers memorized since we may make a huge mistake and it will be worse if people found out that we were only faking it. But when he said it will be okay, I felt assured and went with what he has planned. Now, I am trying to question the soundness of that decision.

 

My eyes immediately searched for him upon entering the room. I felt safer and better after I saw him smile upon my entrance.

 

He stood up and walked up to me.

 

“Flowers, to brighten up this lady’s beautiful face.” Handing me a bouquet of yellow freesias.

 

“Thank you.” I blushed and immediately looked down. I don’t know why I suddenly felt really shy about the situation. Him, wearing such a nice white shirt and black coat. Me, in my yellow dress, holding such pretty dresses.

 

Raising my chin, he captured my eyes with his own stare. “You are one amazing, lovely, one of a kind, woman. And I cannot be any happier and luckier that you will be the one sitting there with my when I face those people out there.”

 

I felt the sincerity in his words and at that moment, I couldn’t think of anything or anybody else. It was just him and me. And I will forever treasure this moment.

 

“Here are the questions and you both have to memorize them. Make sure to both look in love.” His manager said, handing us each a folder, which I think contains our questions.

 

I sat down on one of the sofas started to browse on the list of questions. They were the normal basic questions like how did we meet, which we’ve agreed to stick to but just twist the dates, what I like about him, what he likes about me, what I feel about his career and so on and so forth. The questions were all quite straight forward and I do not think I will have issues answering them.

 

Soon, the interview began and we had to present ourselves to the press. I guess this was it. Sighing a deep sigh of breath, I followed him out.

 

In front of me were about fifty or more people from the press group and we will soon have to answers all the questions that they will throw my way.

 

"Good afternoon everyone. We know you all are quite interested to find out more information about this amazing lady who has captivated such a manly man like Lee Jonghyun. Please raise your hand and your names will be called for your turn to ask."

 

Then the ball was passed on to both Jonghyun and I. I curled my fingers in my lap tightly, scared out of my wits. Inside my mind, I was convincing myself that I can do this and it'll be over soon enough.

 

It sometimes amazes me, how in such a short amount of time, Jonghyun seemed to have been in tuned to my moods and emotions. He looked at me first and very discreetly held my hand as if to assure me that he is with me and there is nothing to worry about. Wouldn't you know it, I felt better knowing he was there with me and that he knows how I feel at the moment.

 

With such a charm no one can resists, he opened the discussion and soon questions about him, his most recent project and his upcoming comeback were flowing freely across the room.

 

Then, as if a tidal wave, questions about his most recent declaration of love were flying through the roof. He never faltered and simply answered them with a smile. I followed his lead and quickly answered the questions thrown my way.

 

"How do you feel about his confession to the public? Did you feel embarrassed?"

 

I smiled and said the answers as if they were what has always been in my mind.

 

"Would you have been able to resist this guy?" I said this first and followed it up with a straight up answer.

 

"I was deeply touched and ecstatic to find that an amazing man like him can come to like me." Then, I looked to Jonghyun, letting my body move like it just had a mind of its own and said, "thank you for choosing me."

 

He looked surprised at first and then I saw the look in his eyes become tender and he crinkled his nose and said, "there was never a choice. It has always been you."

 

Right at that moment, I think neither one of us was aware of the people around us. Like we were in our own cocoon and the words leaving our mouth were what we felt exactly for each other. Not the oohs and the aahs or even the squeals or protests from the people around us.

 

But, like any other story, I'd say Cinderella's the best example, the clock would tick and break the spell. Boy, did the spell broke hard.

 

"Jonghyun, a question for you. Were you aware of the scandal that Seungyeon-shi was accused of, a fraudster? Are you comfortable being in a relationship with someone who can possibly steal your own work and claim it as her own?"

 

There was suddenly a very huge silence that fill the whole place. I felt my face grow pale and it was that moment that I realize how it felt for the boogeyman to come out of your bed and stare at you in the face. All my fears and my failures were thrown at me in front of the same crowd who gave me the humiliation I runaway from.

 

I was frozen in place while I wait for the answer that Jonghyun will give. I held my breath and crossed my finger as I imagine the worse become worst.

 

"I believe that that particular issue has been properly dealt with in the past and should remain in the past." He firmly said.

 

And continued, "But to answer your question, I am aware of what has happened in the past and that she is innocent from the accusation. In fact, it has been established that she was the aggrieved party, something that the media felt no need to settle and announce to the public." I was still dumbfounded and and could barely processed the answer that he gave to that malicious reporter.

 

"And while we are on the subject, I fully trust Seungyon-a with my life. My music and I is nothing without her."

 

He turned and looked at me. Not with kindness or pity. But with a burning passion that I just gulped. It was the kind of look that made me stop the pity party I was having internally.

 

"I'll protect you. All you have to do is trust me."

 

I could hear the reporters shouting questions after questions. Not waiting for any of them to be answered. Just wanting to throw the questions in hope that we may acknowledge and answer some of them. But right that moment, I couldn't care. After the wave, a calmness came over me and it was then I realized, running was no longer an option. It was time for me to face my past. With that, came with the acceptance that this man, sitting beside me, looking as if I was his world, was the man I can trust my life with.

 

He is the first man to steal my heart and would seem to have a hold on it for the long haul. Despite his heart already being caught by another, I have fallen deeply in love with him.