CHAPTER IV: The Studio

Let's Pretend

It was surprisingly big inside. The walls were lined with white panels and the windows at the far corner were standing from foot to ceiling. A sofa that seems to turn to a bed was at the right while his music equipment, recording, piano, guitar and stuff, were on the left side. There was also a mini fridge at the other side of the sofa. Everything looked properly positioned and aside from the scattered music score sheets, the place looks neat.

 

Mr. Lee led me to one of the chairs by the piano. I sat down while still looking around. I couldn’t help but be amazed at how he could have everything at his own home.

 

“Feel free to check anything in this room. I’ll just go check on SangWoo for our food.”

 

I was alone for the first time that day. I could now think at what has happened that day. I turned my head around the room and dslr camera on top of one of the keyboards. It looked kind of out of place so I stood up and walked to get it.

 

“The food should be here any second. Let’s talk about our set up.” I was surprised when I suddenly heard talk behind me. I immediately retracted my hand to my side and walked towards the sofa to sit.

 

He sat a couple of inches beside me and looked at me. I fidgeted a lot and would look at him and then at my lingers on my lap. I heard him sigh a couple of seconds later and asked, “can you really go through this act?”

 

I immediately looked at him when I heard the worry in his voice. I cleared my throat and said, “I don’t know why it has to be me but since you and Team Lead trust that I can do it, then I’ll do it.”

 

“We will have to act as a couple in love. I’m worried that we may not be able to portray it if you feel so uncomfortable with me. Do you feel uncomfortable?”

 

I wanted us to be honest with each other. It was what would make this work better. “Just a bit. But my mind tells me I can trust you, so I will.”

 

He smiled his special silly smile. His eyes would crinkle and so will his nose. The corners of his mouth will show deep dimples and I his red lips stretched from ear to ear. Geez, why do I find him so cute when he does that?

 

“Awesome! Hmm, how do we start with this?” He said as if talking to himself and continued by saying, “I like your eyes a lot.” Well that was out of nowhere.

 

I could feel myself blush a bright red and I had to bow. Aha! I remembered something I’d like to see again.

 

“Can you play a song?” I whispered, scared that he might find my request silly.

 

“Y-y-you..” he stuttered and cleared his throat. “You want me to play you a song?” He said with disbelief written across his face.

 

I frowned and told him yes. When he still looked as if dumbfounded, I elaborated. “When I was sleeping under the cherry blossom tree a while ago, I heard a very melodious sound with a deep male voice singing. It sounded wonderful. I wanted to hear it again.” I finished and looked at him with a shy smile.

 

And there it was again, that silly smile of his. He eagerly nodded and asked if I had any particular song I’d like him to play. I told him anything will do for me. So long as I get to see him play a song. I know it was absolutely out of character for me but since I cannot stop the fluttering feelings I seem to have whenever I am with him, then I will just go with the flow and see where this will all go.

 

He got to his feet and went to his the collection of guitars. He went to pick up one of his guitar, a Fender, if I am not mistaken. He started strumming. The music sounds a bit melancholic but nice nonetheless. When he started singing, the thumping in my heart grew wilder and I could not stop myself from humming to his tune and staring at him. The lyrics of the song sound nice but sad.

 

No one ever sees, no one feels the pain

Teardrops in the rain

 

I wish upon a star, I wonder where you are

I wish you're coming back to me again

And everything's the same like it used to be

 

I see the days go by and still I wonder why

I wonder why it has to be this way

Why can't I have you here just like it used to be?

 

I don't know which way to choose

How can I find a way to go on?

I don't know if I can go on without you oh

 

 

By the time he reached what I think is the ending of the song, he was looking at me and I was at him. It felt as if he was singing the song just for me. And I was looking straight back at him to tell him I am listening. The music has died but we could not seem to take our eyes away from each other.

 

A knock on the door broke whatever spell was casted on both of us.

 

Mr. Han entered the room with what looked like a jeon, which is sort of like a Korean pancake. He looked from both me and Mr. Lee, placed the food on top of the mini fridge since all the tables had either computers or instruments, gestured for us to eat and left the room.

 

I could feel the tension inside the room and I think he felt it as well. He surprised me when instead, he picked up the food and told me to eat up. I searched his face to see if he was affected as much as I am. When he was acting nonchalantly and happily eating, I felt a twinge of sadness in my chest and I wonder why I was feeling that way.

 

“Come on. Eat some.” He said and fed me a piece. I couldn’t have resisted the urge to open my mouth when I saw him pout and gestured for me to eat what he was offering. Come on. A pout from someone as gorgeous as him. This is surreal. Lucky for me, I was not that dumbfounded and still had the ability to chew the piece he gave me. Also, I got to swallow it without choking. Yay!

 

“I want to get to know you.” From out of nowhere, he said.

 

“I want to get to know who the girl that caught my attention and never gave it back to me is. The girl, who is my first love, and the woman who I will be with from this day on.” Looking straight into my eyes intensely, both his words and his stare had my heart thudding really crazy. Why was it that his words felt so real? Ah, I should be guarding my heart. This is all an act, a play, a drama, a show, or all the other words in the world that means pretense. I have to continuously tell myself that, otherwise, it will be a long fall and I might not just be able to pick myself up.

 

“Ask me anything you want and I’ll answer all that I can.”

 

“How much do you know about me?” Well that was unexpected.