CHAPTER X: The Realization

Let's Pretend

We were soon escorted out of the hall and into the room we were in a while ago. Once there, Jonghyun's crew decided to leave us and give us the peace that we will need.

 

We were sitting side by side on the sofa. At the moment, no one seemed keen to break the silence. However, I felt that he was sensitive to my current emotions and respected it.

 

I knew exactly the question I would want to ask. But more than that, I wanted to say something first.

 

"Thank you. No one has ever defended me the way you did. For that, thank you."

 

"I told you I'll protect you." He didn't elaborate which made me want to ask questions. How did he know me? Why didn't he tell me? If he knew me, why did he choose me?

 

However, more than the question, I need to calm down and regroup. There was something more important for me to deal with than the answers to these question. He has defended me and for now, it was enough.

 

“I’ll need to meet Amber. I promised her yesterday.”

 

“I’ll drive you there.”

 

I declined the offer since I know that it would pain me too much to see them together this soon. I could feel how vulnerable and fragile I was. He was quite attuned to my mood and did not argue much about it. Instead, offered to have his driver send me instead.

 

On the way to the coffee shop, I did my best to compose my thoughts and my emotions. After all the things I realized, I knew there was not much for me to do. First, no more running. I will stay and see this charade to its very end. Second, I will treasure every moment that I can. And last, I will move on and be happy when the time comes.

 

Feeling slightly better about myself, I felt lighter walking inside the café.  As I walked inside, something hit me. Like the place was familiar and that I have been in here sometime in my past. Before I could think much of it, I saw Amber inside and waving at me. I instantly smiled and walked to meet her.

 

“Sorry for running a bit late.”

 

“Oh no, I was just really early. Let’s order and stay outside. I remember how you like to feel the cool air outside.”

 

I smiled and realized, this was the girl that knows me like I know myself. She may be younger but she was mature for her age. A twitch in my heart but I toned it down and ignored it.

 

After getting our drinks, we went outside and chose the farthest from the other patrons. We had our mini chat and I asked her mostly about how she was doing, did she continue with her calligraphy class, how are her parents, and all those other questions. While doing my best to delay the questions that were most bothering me, I couldn’t stop the feeling that I have had this conversation with Amber before. Or something similar to it.

 

She must have felt my unease and asked me about it.

 

“I just don’t know. It feels as if I’ve been here before and that there is something I am sorely missing.” I felt comfortable enough to share how I currently feel.

 

“We have been here before. Don’t you remember?” she asked me, also looking confused.

 

“We have? When was that? I can’t seem to remember.”

 

“It was on impulse. You were trying to console me since I just found out that we were moving to a different city. Remember?”

 

When I still looked a bit dazed, trying to remember what she was saying, she added, “we were in this same table. When you still couldn’t make me stop crying, you asked the manager if we could go over there and check the flowerbeds. You know how much I love flowers.”

 

It was then that I remembered. I just came from a recital and was wearing my favorite yellow dress but was running around trying to look for her. When I finally found her and bought her favorite mocha drink, she was still inconsolable. So like a kid, we played at the backyard garden and then it hit me. Like a lightning bolt, the realization was too shocking.

 

“What? What?” Amber really does know me and every bit of my reactions.

 

“How did you meet Jonghyun?” I asked instead of answering her. Holding my breath as if a single one will cause me my sanity.

 

“I’m confused. Well, it was not much of a meeting. He came inside the restaurant where I work and asked for me. I was surprised but what surprised me more was when he asked me if I knew you.”

 

My eyes grew wide and slowly, bit by bit, I can add things up.

 

I didn’t notice it when somebody else came to join our table and I almost jerked when I heard him say, “ask me any questions and I will be happy to answer them. Just don’t run and hide again. It was hard to find you the first time.”

 

He had a smile on his face but the worry lines on his forehead was something I couldn’t miss as well.

 

“You knew me, way before any of the dramas in my life.” He nodded.

 

“You searched for me and wanted to get to know me.” He again nodded.

 

“You wanted me to pretend, was it all just for the act?” This time, he reached out for my hand before answering.

 

“No, none of it was for pretend. In fact, everything was true, except for saying I don’t know you.” I couldn’t tear my eyes from his and deep in my heart, I wanted to jump for joy but at the same time ask him why he hid the truth from me.

 

“Then why did you not tell me the truth?”

 

“I am a part of the past you wanted to hide from. I told you, I can’t let you go anymore. I won’t let you have reasons to run away.” He said silently, as if saying the words will still make me run.

 

“I wanted you to know me enough to be assured that I won’t be a threat to you. I want you to be able to feel safe and trust me. But it seems like fate has his own plans for us.”

 

He stopped and just continued to hold my hand. I could feel his thumb trying to relax my fingers. I felt the hanging question that he wanted so very much to ask but couldn’t.

 

“Before the press conference, I knew that running was no longer an option. After that, I felt I could trust you.”

 

“But?” Of course, he must know me a lot.

 

“But I need to breathe and maybe find myself. This time, not running away. Just simply to think and figure out all of this.”

 

“I understand. Too much has happened for such a short time. I’ll wait.” Without me asking the question, he knew exactly what to say to me.

 

“It has been a long time for you.”

 

“I saw you sitting in this same seat years ago. Also wearing a yellow dress like you bring the summer. You were consoling Amber and singing beautifully. I couldn’t stop myself from coming nearer.” He was telling me now how he met me and that made me all the more special. Things were happening so fast but I couldn’t very much complain.

 

“I saw you going to those flowerbeds and that was when I took a photo. You remembered a blurred photo near the door to my house studio.” I nodded and remembered quite clearly how captivated I got with that particular photo.

 

“I have a clearer copy of it in my room and while I stared at that photo, I loved you more.”

 

I gasped. There it was. The way he said it melted my heart. He loves me. I am the woman he was talking about. That was why everyone was hugging me and talking about me being the girl. It was indeed me. He was really in love with me!

 

“I.. i..” I wanted to say something but I was choking on my own and I still could not get over the fact that just this morning, I came to pretend to be this man’s lady love but instead got humiliated with my past. At my weakest moment, he rescued me and I admitted falling in love with him though my heart was aching. Only to have it lead to him admitting that he knew me from my past and has been in love with me longer than I have. W-O-W!