CHAPTER III: The Drive

Let's Pretend

I couldn’t quite breathe and answer the question. I felt him staring at me for seconds and I was unable to break the look. It was as if a whirlpool has me in.

 

“Yes, Jonghyun, she has agreed. You will need to show her the places you love to visit so it won’t look too weird that she knows nothing about you. Also, you both will need to learn more about each other.” Team Lead said, breaking the staring bonanza we were having. I could feel the blush raise up to the very tips of my hair.

 

Omo, how did I get myself into this? I can still say no, they still have not made any announcement about me. Yeah, that’s it. That would be the solution.

 

As if sensing what I was thinking, Mr. Lee grabbed my wrist and without fuss, pulled me outside. I could only squeak.

 

He led me into the parking lot and soon I was staring at a red Aston Martin car with a guitar lying at the back. He opened the passenger door for me and gestured for me to get in. It was then I was convinced that somebody else has taken over my body. I could not even protest.  I felt like this was inevitable.

 

Once I was inside, he rounded to the other side and got on it. I could feel myself relaxing and I sighed a breath of relief.

 

“W-Where are you taking me?” I stuttered. Not really feeling scared but rather confused with everything. This man here represents everything that I would want to forget and yet, here I am, finding it relaxing to be with him and willing myself to just enjoy the moment.

 

When I didn’t hear any response, I turned to look at him and realized that he has been staring at me this whole time. I felt my heart throb wildly in my chest and my mind went blank. I gulped and felt my throat go dry. How can this guy, with one look, turn me into a puddle?

 

He broke the stare and looked at his hands that was holding the steering wheel tightly. “My studio. Uncle said I should bring you to familiar places and that is the one place you will have to visit often.”

 

Silence. I couldn’t think of any other questions to voice out. I wanted to protest but found no courage to say it. I wanted to ask him who the girl is and is he really okay that somebody else will be playing the role, but again, I couldn’t find the courage.

 

The wheels in my mind was turning like a newly oiled machine. Can I really face the past I left years ago? Will they be able to recognize me? How long will this last? What if I find myself falling? How will I…

 

“You can still back out if you want to. I am not going to force someone to help me because they were ordered to do so.”

 

Looking at him, there was a deep frown forming on his face and I had this strong urge to wipe it away but instead I reassured him. “I already said yes, I won’t change my mind.”

 

“Maybe I should have recorded that, hold you to your promise. Girls are fickle minded and I can’t have you running away from me.” He said and winked. Winked? And there my heart goes, pitter-patter.

 

“Don’t guys like the chase?” I’m playing with fire, I know.

 

“Would you have wanted me to chase you?” he said with brows raised and a smirk on his lips. Oh god, he is teasing me.

 

“Would you have chased me if I said yes?” Two can play this game. Plus, I couldn’t just let the moment go. I wanted to know as well.

 

“I have you right where I wanted you to be.” He then turned the engine on and that was the end of that discussion.

 

There was silence on the way, but a comfortable one. I simply stared out the window, watching as the buildings pass by. It was a few minutes later when I realized that the only thing I had in me was a key in my pocket. Not my bag, my purse nor my phone. A key that Mr. Lee handed me. I started to fidget while thinking how I will be able to get home.

 

He must have felt my apprehension. “Any problem?” he seemed truly concerned.

 

“I don’t have anything with me. I was just wondering how I would get home today,” I softly told him.

 

He stopped the car by the side and turned to me. “I couldn’t hear you properly. I couldn’t get past your lovely voice. Mind repeating?”

 

Argh, how can he throw punches as easily as that? I repeated my previous question, this time with a louder voice.

 

“You can stay with me then. I won’t bite.” There was a playfulness in the way he said it. I was surprised. I did not have expected it since he seem like the formidable type. From the way he talked with Team Lead at the office and his carefree way of sleeping just anywhere he likes, you’d think his all business and what not. I am getting confused on who he really is.

 

When he taught I might not be able to give a witty reply, he said, “I will call Uncle to send your things at the studio. I’ll also drive you home today.” From the easy going look, a sudden turmoil emerged, and I could feel his eyes gaze at me intensely. I barely heard him after he grabbed my hand and raised it on his cheeks. “Do not ever hesitate to tell me if you have concerns. I expect to know everything about you. You are my mine now.”

 

How is it that I feel my heart agree with his statement? Indeed, I was his, his pretend girlfriend. Still, I knew, right at that moment, that my life will never be the same again. All I could manage to answer was, “I understand”. I am in trouble. Big, big trouble. Yet, I don’t see myself panicking and backing down.

 

We resumed our drive but he didn’t let go of my hands. Soon, I could see us arriving at a 2 floored, minimalist designed house. I frowned. I thought we were going to his studio. The house we were parked right across do not look anywhere near a music studio.

 

I snapped my head when I heard the engine stop. Was this really our destination? My heart thudded and my mind blurred.

 

He stepped out of the car, opened the car door to my side and held his hand as if to assist me out. I couldn’t bring myself to get out.

 

“Would you want me to bring you bride style?” and was already on the act of placing both his arms on my back and leg separately.

 

“No, no, not that. Why are we in front of a house? I thought you were to show me to your studio.” I told him, still firmly seated.

 

“Yeah, we are. My studio is at the 2nd floor of my house. Right across my bedroom.” He turned his back, as if teasing me even more. I thought all along that his studio would be one of the rooms in his Entertainment Company’s building.

 

I moved myself to step out of the car as he was just opening the door. He turned back and said, “welcome to your new home.”

 

Still a bit dazed, I let him lead me again inside the house. Once we were in, a bulky guy greeted us.

 

“This is SangWoo Han and he is my manager. Han-shi, Seungyon-shi.” He quickly introduced us.

 

“It is my pleasure to finally meet you.”

 

Finally? Oh my, he might have thought I was the girl Mr. Lee is in love with. Was it possible that his manager is not aware who she was? Without thinking much about the consequences and deeply wanting to clear any current and future confusion, I said, “oh, it’s great to meet you as well but this is also my first time meeting him.”

 

He looked quite surprise for just a split second but his face immediately cleared and he smiled while saying, “I’m sorry I mistook you for someone. You looked quite oddly familiar. Well then, let me get you something to eat.” Then left.

 

I frowned. But before I could process it, Mr. Lee was already leading the way to the second floor. I found it quite fascinating and asked him about it.

 

“There is are stories linked to every photograph you see. But those are stories for another time. Let’s get you acquainted with my studio.”

 

I nodded and that was when a particular frame caught my eye. I gasped. Good thing he did not hear me since he has already entered the studio.

 

The frame contained a photo of a girl standing in the middle of flower fields. She was wearing a laced bright yellow dress and was standing on her bare feet. She was half facing her back. It was a very interesting photo since the background had all the colors intensified but was slowly blurring as you get to the middle. And right were we should see the smiling face of a girl, you see it completely blurred where the features can just be vaguely outlined.

 

What was the photographer thinking when he took that photo and made it into this. If he wanted to catch attention, then he sure had mine.

 

“Are you coming or are you simply going to stare?”

 

I shook my head and walked into the studio.