CHAPTER XVII: The Refusal

Let's Pretend

Everyone started to discuss about the project and how it would be great if both Yoona and Jonghyun can work on it together. The plot was leaning towards the fantasy genre and a bit of an except for little mermaid. The girl in the story got her voice stolen and has lived for years as a mute. Then she met a guy composer who inspired her to appreciate music once more and makes her want to search for her missing voice.

 

Once the plot was completely laid out by the PD, I felt Jonghyun tense and Yoona gave a wicker smile towards me. I tried to ignore it and squeezed Jonghyun’s hand to send him my assurance that I was okay. He looked at me with worried eyes and I simply smiled. I don’t know but I was loving the attention. I also felt the others look towards us and perhaps understood the silent message we exchanged.

 

The PD then asked both artists and managers whether they can do the project.

 

“The story can be quite ironic in real life, doesn’t” Yoona started to say.

 

“Yes, you never really know which side of the coin the other person is. The hero or the villain?”

 

“What do you mean?” Yoona asked, a bit confused. But I had a vague idea what Jonghyun was saying. She probably will be the hero in the drama but is she the hero or the villain in real life.

 

“I’m sure you can figure it out. I apologize for taking up your time but I’m afraid I’d be declining your offer.” Jonghyun finally said and the Pd-nim stated that he understands. The PD even stressed that in the current situation, it might really be best to find someone else to do it.

 

“Are you declining because you don’t want the project? We’ve already done a similar project before, I don’t see any reason why we can’t have a repeat of that” Yoona immediately stood up and said this, trying to make her point known.

 

She tries to hold Jonghyun in the arm but he simply brushes her hand away. Again, I felt confused. I was happy that he declined the offer seeing as I do not trust a single bone in Yoona’s body. But, I also felt that he might have declined because of me. Then, I might just be holding him back. I wanted to tell him that but couldn’t get the courage to do so.

 

“I refuse because I don’t like to play mind games, of which the woman I love may be the single casualty. She will always be my support and I to her.” He said this while looking at me. I wanted to cry. At that moment, I knew I would also do everything for him.

 

“This is a huge opportunity you are letting go.” Yoona, who was still standing, was almost shouting this. She was already creating a bit of the ruckus which did not come unnoticed to the media personnel. They were immediately on alert with cameras flashing on our way.

 

Jonghyun did not even flinch or had second thought when he said, “I know a gem when I see one and I don’t easily let go of treasures I consider my own. This time, I know exactly what I want.”

 

“You are just plain unbelievable,” she screeched.

 

“This discussion is over, I believe. It’s time for us to go.”

 

Jonghyun pulled me up on my feet but right around that time, I remembered what I originally came for. I was supposed to meet Yoona for a dinner appointment. So that I can discuss whatever it is that happened in the past and hopefully put a nail in the coffin. I pulled Jonghyun back and silently sent my message if we can stay for a bit longer. He nodded at me as if to say he understood what I wanted to say and that we can stay.

 

I then looked at Yoona and said to her, “Can we perhaps talk?” -

 

Raising one of her brows, she said, “And why would I want to talk to you?”

 

“I’d like to know, at least your side, on why you did what you did.” Talking quietly and in riddles so as not to immediately arouse suspicion.

 

“What I did? Isn’t it supposed to be what you did? You tried to frame me just so you can get attention. And now you are stopping Jonghyun from doing this project just because we have a past. Don’t try to deny it.”

 

“What are you talking about?” I was now a bit alarmed. She was already creating a commotion.

 

“That’s enough. Don’t answer anymore.”

 

He turned to the others and said, “We are leaving.” He then turns to his manager to ensure that the car is already waiting for us outside and to make sure that I was taken cared of. His body guards have started to create a barricade by the door to ensure our safety. While all this was going on, I could see that Yoona has come a little closer to Jonghyun’s side and up until the end, I also saw him brush her aside.

 

I heard him say to her, “I first heard the (song title) played by a yellow dressed girl with her guitar. Don’t think I don’t know the truth.” But any chance that I might want to have to I can think clearly was lost to me since we were already walking towards the car and fighting off all the cameras and reporters.

 

Once in the car, there was a deafening silence. I wasn’t sure what it was for and why there was a certain tension but I knew that we had to talk.

 

I sighed a deep breath and started to say something when I heard him say, “So, that was interesting.”

 

I was confused. Which was interesting. I’m sure the whole thing in the restaurant made me frustrated and mad and sad all at the same time. But interesting was not among the list of things I can relate to it.

 

“Interesting, how?”

 

“Just that.” I turned to him when he said this and started to ask him again about it.

 

Using his right hand, he grabbed my hand and stated, “You are mine. I meant what I said that I trust you with whomever you go with but will you be kind as to tell me why you were in the restaurant.”

 

To this, I was amused. I know that we were still not in the officially dating phase of our relationship but I find that not only am I amused with his reaction but I was also happy. “Are you jealous?”

 

"Of course I’m jealous. With another man's girl. I thought to myself, he shouldn't do that.” He signed and continued, “and then to see that same scene the following day. Aigoo!”

 

He held my hand tighter and even brought it to his cheek as if to have his face caress the back of my hand.

 

I felt butterflies flutter in my stomach and a full on blush shows on my face.

 

“He’s a friend. I’ve known him since we were kids.”

 

“I know now. I never thought there was someone like him in your life. No one told me.” He humbled.

 

“I guess no one can tell you about it since I don’t normally share these things to my officemates.”

 

“Officemates?” He asked me, looking a bit puzzled.

 

“Yes. Otherwise, who would have told you about me?” I said with raise brows. Trying to check if he has indeed ask around.

 

“Uhmm.. eherrm.. no one..” clearing his throat, I became puzzled with his reaction but let it go, for now.

 

With him telling me his feelings and firmly holding my hand, all tension was released from me and the drive would seem to be a bit better now.