CHAPTER XXI: The Separation

Let's Pretend

Like the previous day, the morning started with a bit of rain. There was a gloomy feeling. Since I had little to no sleep the night before, I woke up later than I expected and had to run for work.

 

Once inside the office lobby, I was greeted by the receptionist and the guard on duty. What I did not expect was the smirk I got from our receptionist followed by the remark, "I guess the act is all done, right? You really are a fraudster?"

 

I probably had a stupid look on my face. I could not fathom why she would say those to me.

 

"Shut your trap, Molly. Please go upstairs Miss Seungyeon and don't mind her." The guard advised me.

 

While leaving them, I still caught a part of their conversation with the guard saying something, "how many times do I have to tell you that what you heard is just media play and that..." The elevator opened and I went inside.

 

Upstairs, I went straight to my station, not minding the instant whispers that ensued upon my entry.

 

"Was it a good vacation?" I saw Krystal's face pop out to greet me like she usually does, stoic expression and whatnot. Being her close friend, I knew that her stoic expression usually means she’s nervous about something but can’t’ really express herself well. I look closer still and so no look of judgement or curiosity, which I cannot say the same for the others.

 

"Yep! Got to visit my parents and old friends. And I also got the closure I needed for me to move on." I told her while I think of a way to ask what was going on in the office and why do I feel hostility from the others. But she beat me to it.

 

"There has been rumors going around since the morning paper came out. I doubt you'd have time to read them?"

 

"Nope. I woke up rather late and did not get to do much before I rushed here."

 

She the handed me a copy of the newspaper and the first thing that greeted me was a photo of Yoona and Jonghyun hugging each other inside a cafe in the Seoul airport. The title of the article says, “Jonghyun and Yoona, are they dating?” While the photo caption says, “Jonghyun and Yoona caught hugging each other at one of the cafés in the Seoull Airport. The following articles even outlines that there was a huge possibility that the two was actually the one dating and that I, her girlfriend, was a pretend girlfriend to stir the news away from Yoona, whose career is flourishing and cannot have a backlash from fans and netizens. There was a quick background on how are lives are all intertwined and highlights that I may be doing it to make amends to Yoona. A lot more was said in the news article which I found too preposterous.

 

But there was the photo. And it is both of them that I see hugging. Dumbfounded, that was what I was. I knew that there must be some sort of reason and this was all just a lie. We were still together until last night.

 

"I didn't want to deliver the bad news but somebody had to tell you what was going on."

 

"Thanks!" I wanted to say more but didn't really know what so I just stared at the paper in front of me.

 

"You've got to be strong. People want to see you like that since they can't have him for themselves but you need to toughen up and show them what you've got."

 

I nodded and put on my best smile. She left and I started with my usual task of filing documents and encoding. It was like that until lunch break when Team Lead finally arrived at the office and called for me.

 

Once inside, I again chose the one seater sofa set I chose a few months ago. I looked up to him and saw that he was carefully studying my reactions.

 

“I know I asked you to pretend for us, for his career,” he started, ”but am I wrong in thinking that things have changed?”

 

I looked straight into his eyes and nodded. I wanted to cry at that time. Like the way I used to when he first met me or when he would scold me on how to do things properly. He was my mentor and guide but most importantly, he became my extended family. At that moment, I just wanted to cry to him. But I held myself, took a deep breath and smiled.

 

“This is a tough time for you but you must bear it. More challenging things will come, but like the mountain you have overcome, you will overcome this one as well. Let me know when things become too hard for you and I will be here to help.” Ah, like always, his words have a calming effect on me.

 

Despite my smile and the quick calmness that overcame me, I felt a tear fall down from my eyes.

 

“I can be strong. I will be.” I said before I left his office.

 

I came back to my station thinking things through. Were the months we were together a lie? I don’t think so. I hope not. I knew in my heart that when we started, I stand to risk my heart. But was it really it then? Do we end it here? Will all the people I love betray me in the end?

 

“Thinking those thoughts won’t help you, you know.” Again, with her stoic face, she stood next to my desk and broke my internal debate by saying those words. I know from experience that her face may seem void of emotion but I know at that moment that she was worried about me.

 

I sighed and grabbed her hand and squeezed it. Trying to reassure her that things are just fine. That she has nothing to worry about me.

 

“I cannot not worry about you.” She said, still with that blank look. Sometimes, I wish I had that look on her, rather than what they call my expressive face.

 

“I know, but I am telling you, I am fine.” I tried to convince her.

 

“You don’t look fine to me. Tell me, do you trust him?" She said, with her head leaning to one side as if to issue a challenge if by now I have again learned to really trust others. I couldn’t tell her that I trust him just like I have learned to trust her.

 

"Of course." I said without batting an eyelid.

 

“Then try not to worry. It wouldn’t do you much good except to feed the hungry vultures here. There is a reason for those papers. All will be revealed, at the right time.” I don’t know if it was her saying that I will feed the hungry rumor mongrels in the office or the way she said that things will get revealed at the right time, made me solidify my decision to just simply let what happened go.

 

I inclined my head the same way she did and said, “you’re right.” I felt as if I had somehow convinced her and she left without another word.

 

The day went on with some officemates passing by with snide and side comments. By afternoon, I needed my peace and quiet and decided to go to my special place.