CHAPTER I: The Meeting

Let's Pretend

The winter season was ending. Snow was completely gone and air breeze was a bit warmer. The birds were chirping louder and the flowers seem livelier. Ah, good weather.

 

With a smile on my face, I walked to my special place where no one can disturb me. My haven was a simple wooden bench hidden behind the bushes and under a tall cherry blossom tree. It was at the end of the park and very seldom do people come or pass. It has seen me at my different moods and states. It had been my security when I felt like giving up. On most days, I went there to just relax or write.  

 

Today, I was only going to think. I need to gather my wits just to make sure I can still function well before a bomb blows in my face.

 

I reached my haven and instead of being able to enjoy the moment, got surprised. I saw a figure lying on MY bench, snoring and deep in his slumber. What? Why, of all times did he have to invade it when I badly need my time? Ottoke?

 

Wringing my fingers, I thought of a solution to my personal predicament. 1. I could just leave and go back to the office. But, I doubt I’ll have my peace of mind if I did. 2. I could wake the guy up and ask him to give me my moment. But, that would not be only rude of me but also tactless. What if this was also the only place he could rest? So on to 3. I could just sit at the root of the cherry blossom tree since it has been slightly uprooted and transfer seats once the guy wakes up. Seems like plan 3 is the most favorable one given my state of mind.

 

I slowly inched my way to the bench to just take a peek at the person lying on the bench. WOW! He was gorgeous. I was not expecting that. He had pale skin and dark brown hair. He had think, long lashes and prominent cheeks, even when not smiling. His nose was high and lips red.

 

I am such a ert right now. I sighed and stepped back a bit. My heart thumping like crazy. Must be the coffee this morning.

 

I headed to my cherry blossom root tree and rested my back on the tree trunk. I closed my eyes and with a deep sigh, tried to recall all that has happened to me that day.

 

“Seungyeon-sshi, team leader is looking for you. I think he will assign a new task to you.” Krystal timidly told me while pointing at our team lead’s office. I nodded and went and knocked on our team lead’s office door.

 

“Come in”.

 

“Ah, Miss Gong, good to see you today.” I smiled but inwardly cringed. He was not a cruel or unfair boss but he was definitely not my favorite person in the world. “Please, sit.”

 

“You have been working for our company for such a long time and we dearly value your skills and contributions. You understand that I have not simply taken for granted all the efforts you’ve given. Oh, I remember when you first started. You were a tad bit shy and scared of others. You also don’t like to mingle with a lot of other people.” He stopped for a second to look at the photos of all the employees at the far left corner of the wall. It was where an old photo of all employees were plastered.

 

He continued on to say, “But despite you being so meek, you were definitely smart and fast to catch up. I remember telling Misun that you would do finely in helping build a stronger company. And you have indeed. Though I would dearly love for you to get on with life the way you used to before”

 

I was getting scared. Why was he reminiscing? It was sounding more dreadful to my ears by the minute.

 

“Krystal told me you have something to tell me, Sir?” I nervously interjected before he continued on with his random ramblings.

 

“Oh, I do get on a lot, don’t I? Let’s get right to it then. I have seen you improve tremendously and handle difficult tasks amazingly. With that, I will need to ask you to help us with a very important and special mission. A favor for a friend for having helped us in our difficult times. Your job will be..” and was cut off by the phone ringing.

 

I frowned, how could the person on the other line call at just the moment I was anticipating the most. Guess it cannot be helped.

 

“Sorry, Miss Gong, but I will need to take this. I was actually expecting someone today but he has not arrived. Hold on for a second, will you?”

 

I nodded and looked down on my clasp hands at my lap. I heard him stand up and take the call next to the large overlooking window. All I could hear him say was “I see, yes and okay”.

 

“There seems to be a very urgent matter. The person I was supposed to welcome today has gone missing. Can we continue this some other time, Miss Gong?”

 

I nodded and stood up. Left the room and headed for my station. I was feeling a bit confused or rather bothered. My main question was still the same. What would our team lead want from me?

 

The day passed quickly and soon it was lunch.

 

Deep sigh, what could possibly be the thing that he wants me to do? He mentioned something about him owing a friend a favor. But what would that have to do with?

 

I got distracted when I saw 2 birds sat atop my lower things and chirp without a care in the world. I was listening to their chirping like they were singing a winning duet song.

 

You are my everything neon ddeonajiman

Na keudaebuda na keudaebuda nunmuri manha ddeo seulpeun geongabwa

Na keudaebuda na keudaebuda ddeo keuriwo bunael suga obnabwa

Ddo haru kago ilnyeoni kado keudaega dashi naegaero ulkkabwa

Itchi muthago nuhchi muthago pabo cheoreom ajik saranghanabwa

Na keudaebuda

(You are my everything, but you are gone

More than you, more than you.. seems like I shed much more sad tears

More than you, more than you.. looks like I’m missing you more

Another day to go, another year to go, would you look at me again

I can’t forget you, I can’t stop thinking about you, like a fool, I’m still in love with you

Me .. More than you)

 

A most beautiful sound was playing but I don’t remember turning on the music. Alas, I don’t think I even brought my music player. But where was that sound coming from?

 

I realized I must have been dreaming. It did feel like I had fallen asleep. I started to open my eyes and realized that the beautiful sound was still playing. When I had my eyes fully open, it was then that I stared straight through a pair of sparkling brown eyes. It held authority. Like I couldn’t look at anything else, not when it commands me to look straight into it. The melodious sound slowly faded.

 

“Who are you?” the man lying on the bench a while ago, who was now staring at me, asked.

 

“Shouldn’t be the one asking that question since you stole my spot?” I said, trying to sound calm, compose and brave.

 

He laughed and just looked back at me. I looked at him as well and that was when I realized he was playing with his guitar. Ah, s that was where the sound was coming from.

 

“My apologies for being rude. I was quite taken by your beauty when I woke up and just couldn’t wait to get your name. I couldn’t just wake you up so I though singing might stir you awake. i am Jong Hyun. I hope you forgive this pabo.”

 

That was smooth, I told myself and inwardly smile.

 

“You also surprised me just a while ago.”

 

“There you are Jong Hyun. I’ve been looking for hours for you.” My team lead said after cutting me off unknowingly.

 

“Let’s go. We’re way behind our schedule.” He came closer to this Jong Hyun guy. About to pull him by the arm, it was then that he noticed me still on the same tree spot.

 

“Miss Gong, here you are. I was looking for you as well.”

 

He then turned to look back and forth from me and Jong Hyun. “You two know each other.”

 

We both answered in the negative while each picking ourselves up so we can go back.

 

“Oh, well, now that you have met each other, we’ll be able to discuss things faster.”

 

He gestured to the guy still sitting at the bench, busy with his guitar. “This guy here was the urgent matter since he seemed to have a great passion for playing hid seek.”

 

“Miss Gong, I need you to pretend to be Jong Hyun’s first love.” What?! I stared at my boss like he was some kind of a lunatic. When his expression did not changed, I looked to this Mr Lee Jong Hyun only to find him grinning so silly, from ear to ear.

 

And that was when my brain stopped functioning…