Chapter 8: The First Step

Saviour: Right Next to You

Kiseop woke up to the sounds of knife chopping the chopping board and clanking of pots and pans. Annoyed, he covered his ears and turned to the other side of the bed, drifting back to sleep.

            In the kitchen, Eun Kyung was busy and clumsily trying to prepare lunch for Kiseop. Maybe its been so long since he had warm, home-cooked food. Maybe that’s what he need for a start.

            Since it was her first time cooking in a kitchen where she’s totally clueless what is where, it gets messy. After much trouble, she managed to find a pot and lit up the stove to start cooking.

            “Ack! Aishhh…”

            Kiseop heard Eun Kyung’s voice behind the sizzling of pot and continuous chopping. It sounds like a warzone in the kitchen. Her epic cries and groans as though something didn’t turn out right. Kiseop began to worry. Worry that she might not only annoy him like she always does every time she came but to even set his house on fire.

            After what seems like hours, the house suddenly turn silent. Then came a knock on the door.

            “Kiseop-ah. Let’s have lunch. I cooked rice, spicy soft tofu stew and some side dishes.” Eun Kyung’s voice, softly made its way through the door.

            Kiseop tummy began to grumble.

“Ah. Why now?” He hissed to himself.

He tossed and his bed, restless. He finally sat up and hung his head low. He got off the bed, rubbed his eyes and ran his finger through his hair.

            The lock on the door clicked. Eun Kyung’s heartbeat catches up on . Slowly, the doorknob turned and the door open, really slowly. Eun Kyung peeped inside and saw no one; she took a step forward and stepped into the dark room, the sun rays begging to shine into the room. She walked towards the window pane and slid open the heavy curtains.

            “Ughhhh.”

            She turned to look back behind the door, to saw, for the very first time, the person she has been talking to only behind the door, the person she so badly want to see his smile. Right in front of her, shielding his eyes from the light with his head still hung low.