Chapter 28: AJ, my saviour

Saviour: Right Next to You

Eun Kyung opened the door of her home. Right by her doorstep stood a familiar figure, leaning against the wall right next to her door. Eun Kyung heads out and shut the door slowly behind her. Hearing the click of the lock, the familiar figure who have been waiting outside for her since dawn breaks turned to face Eun Kyung.

            “AJ-ah,” Eun Kyung greeted him with a smile.

            The conversation she had with Hoon still fresh in her head. Slowly, she looked into AJ’s eyes trying to decode the warm familiar gaze he always carried. AJ felt Eun Kyung’s eyes on him, as he his head side wards as he rubbed the back of his neck, half smiling; awkward.

            Eun Kyung wrinkled her nose and pursed her lips, her thumb and index finger pinching her chin, as if she is studying a work of art. A work of art indeed, by the hands of God to create such an amazing man like AJ who would do anything not to make the girl whom he love ever so dearly cry a single tear. AJ slowly tilts his head and gaze into Eun Kyung’s eyes.

            Eun Kyung blinked once. Twice. AJ’s heart started to pick up pace. Silence accompanied them for a moment before AJ cleared his throat and Eun Kyung’s eye contact broke away from his.    

            “Want to go somewhere with me?” AJ suggested.

            Eun Kyung nodded and reached out her hand towards AJ. Confused, he looked down at Eun Kyung’s arm outstretched. She pointed to AJ’s hand and that’s when AJ got the idea. AJ reached out to hold Eun Kyung’s cold hands and lead her somewhere he had always wanted to go.

            They alighted the bus to be welcomed by a breathtaking scenery right in front of their eyes. Eun Kyung gasps in admiration at the beauty of the Earth. The vast secluded beach lay dignified as Eun Kyung kicks off her shoes and sprints her way down the hill and digging her toes on the white sand. The sound of the waves rolling to shore, the smell of the salty air, and the melody of seagulls squawking welcomed the presence of humans. It’s the start of spring.

            Eun Kyung turned to face AJ who was still standing by the hill amazed by Eun Kyung’s excitement.

            “AJ-ah! Come on over!” Eun Kyung called out as she waves her hand and ran towards the sea.

            AJ picked up Eun Kyung’s shoes where she left them, took of his slowly descend down the small hill to the beach. He took in the beauty of nature as he stood in between the sea and the small hill, toes digging into the sand. His eyes slowly move to watch Eun Kyung as she chased seagulls and kicks the water. She went deeper into the water and started splashing herself, laughing. Its been a while since AJ saw that little girl laugh this hard. AJ smiled to himself. His heart felt at ease as he reminds himself, he is still able to bring happiness to Eun Kyung like old times.

            Eun Kyung grew bored playing by herself and ran towards AJ who was building sandcastles in the sky. She jerked his arms, making him dropped both their footwear and dragged him into the water with her. Eun Kyung started splashing water playfully at AJ as he tries to waddle away from Eun Kyung’s continuous attacks. Over-excited Eun Kyung threw herself onto AJ and caught him off guard. They both fell into the water, laughing away.

            “Ah, Eun Kyung ah, get off me! You’re too heavy!” AJ spoke in between coughs as he swallowed a great quantity of water as he fell.

            Eun Kyung looked down at AJ and started giggling.

            “It’s been awhile AJ. I though your cheeks were going to fall with all that frowning you’ve been doing all this time.” Eun Kyung scoffed.

            AJ sat up, throwing Eun Kyung next to him.

            “Meanie!” Eun Kyung gnarled as she stood up and walk back to shore, trying to catch her breath.

            AJ followed suit as Eun Kyung made her way to the rocks, settling herself onto a rather tall one with a broad surface. AJ took his place next to her. They were both out of breath, their chests rising and falling hard in unison as they stare out into the horizon.

            “It’s nice to see you smiling, AJ,” Eun Kyung broke the silence between them.

            The waves crash onto the rocks one after another. Eun Kyung dangles her feet down the rock, enjoying the feeling of water crashing onto her.

            “It’s nice to know I can still make you laugh.” AJ chuckled.

            “What are you talking about?” Eun Kyung asked, taken aback by AJ’s words.

            “Um, Kiseop.” AJ answered, simply.

            “Is that what has been taking up space in your head?”

            AJ nods. He has made up his mind; he is not going to run away from his feelings anymore. He is not going to hide it any longer. Eun Kyung needs to know. He has promised himself, that whoever she chooses or whatever decision she made, as long as it makes her happy, he is going to accept it. Despite the fact it might break his soul and tore his heart to pieces, as long as Eun Kyung is happy, he will never leave her side, he would stay if not for love, he’d stay for the beautiful friendship they shared for years.

            “AJ…” Eun Kyung started.

            “Why Kiseop?” AJ broke in.

            “It’s just the way he make me feels whenever I’m around him. My heart feels like it’s going to burst out. I don’t have to hold back when I’m with him. He just…” Eun Kyung looked down and smiled to herself. “He just makes me feel complete.” Eun Kyung finished off.

            “I’m glad, he makes you happy.” AJ smiled back, but deep inside, how he longed that those words would describe him instead.

            “I sound corny don’t I? I’m even cringing thinking of what I just said.” Eun Kyung covered her face, in embarrassment as she curled her toes.

            “Don’t be. Looks like I missed my chance.” AJ smirked as he kicks her toes.

            “You don’t, AJ. You still belong in my heart. As my saviour, because you stood by me  at my worst. You somehow were the reason I have faith and never stop hoping. I stopped questioning ‘What ifs’ thanks to you, and just go what my heart tells me to as long as I’m a step closer to my dreams. AJ, I’ve love you then and I’ll still love you.” Eun Kyung placed her hands over his and gave it a little squeeze.

            “Eun Kyung’s saviour” AJ mouthed out the words, half-smiling.

            Eun Kyung nods her head, smiling. She scooted nearer and pulled AJ into an embrace. She ruffled AJ’s hair, pulled away for a second, looked into his eyes.

            “You’re my saviour, AJ. Don’t you ever forget that.” Eun Kyung whispered as she hugged him tighter.