Chapter 13: Hoon, My Superhero.

Saviour: Right Next to You

            Eun Kyung woke up to a soft lullaby sang by Hoon right next to her. She examined her surrounding and realised she was safely back home, lying down on her bed nicely tucked under the covers. Her head hurts, itches and her nose won’t stop being runny. Eun Kyung felt horrible.

“Hoon?” Upon hearing Eun Kyung’s voice, Hoon stopped singing and turned to look at Eun Kyung.   He frowns, showing an annoyed expression which only made Eun Kyung laughed.

“Hoon, you know that expression doesn’t really go well with your face, right?” Eun Kyung managed to say it in between giggles.

Hoon kept a stern face.

“You ain’t going anywhere today Eun Kyung! Look at your state. Whoa. I don’t even want to look or I’d barf.” Hoon rolled his eyes.

“But! I got to go to work!” Eun Kyung protest, trying to get up off bed, only to be stopped by Hoon’s strong arms which put her back to lying down on her bed.

“I’ve called the ahjumma and told her you’re not going to come today. I mean LOOK AT YOU, BABE! She told you to rest well, you worry her. In fact, you made me worry too!” Hoon pouts.

“I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you. Promise.” Eun Kyung cooed Hoon his arm.

“You, stay here. Don’t you dare move a muscle, Kyunggie!”

Hoon smiled and went to change the water for the towel on her forehead and went to make breakfast. Eun Kyung turned to her side and tucked herself beneath the covers, closing her eyes, as the smell of Hoon’s cooking warms her soul.

*

“Eat up, Kyung-ah,” Hoon offered Eun Kyung her bowl of porridge.

“Thank you, Hoon.”

She took a spoonful of porridge alongside a few side dishes. Hoon just stared at Eun Kyung eating as he sat opposite her. This girl might be sick, but her that doesn’t stop her from eating like she hasn’t eat for years.

“Hoon, your cooking is the best!” Eun Kyung complimented him with full.

“Ew, Eun Kyung, I don’t need to see what’s in your mouth. Someone need to be thought manners.”

Eun Kyung rolled her eyes and continued eating. Hoon was still looking at her eat with a smile on his face.

“You’re not eating, Hoon?” Eun Kyung asked.

Hoon shook his head. He started clearing the plates that was filled with the side dishes, now emptied by Eun Kyung the Glutton. He placed them in the sink. Eun Kyung slurped the last spoon of porridge into and smacked her lips. She took her bowl and head to the sink.

“Do the dishes together?” Eun Kyung suggests.

“I clean, you wipe?” Hoon said.

They shared a comfortable silence as usual. Once a while came a thought that will make either laugh, and they’d just share the random thought and burst out laughing. Their friendship is simple, yet so beautiful and precious.

“Hoon, come with me. Watch me perform today.” Eun Kyung voiced out.

“But, you’re not feeling well.”

“Just this once. Then we hang out. I’ve missed those times playing around with you.” Eun Kyung turned to Hoon with pleading eyes.

There she goes again. Eun Kyung knows really well what Hoon’s weak points are, and here she is using it against him. Hoon can never reject a girl’s request if they plead. Hoon heads outside, waiting for Eun Kyung to get ready.

Eun Kyung stepped out of the house, with her guitar and amplifier. Hoon reached out his hand and offered to help her carry the amplifier. Eun Kyung handed it over. They walked to Fountain Terrace to see a park so full of live. As usual, Eun Kyung started setting up as Hoon sat on a bench watching her. Eun Kyung tuned her guitar for a bit, adjust the amp and strummed a note. Hoon stood up and shouted “FIGHTING, EUN KYUNG-AH!” attracting attention of many other passerby.

Eun Kyung started playing, and crowd began to gather. Her guitar case is slowly filled with notes and extra change. Eun Kyung’s voice and the strums of her guitar are so intimate and precious. Eun Kyung’s voice melted away hearts of the audience. Hoon sat on the bench again and watched his best friend perform so gracefully. Eun Kyung would turn at Hoon’s direction once in a while, their eyes would meet and she’d smile and faced the crowd again.

 

*

Eun Kyung and Hoon met when they were still in pre-school. They’d fight almost every day then but would get back together again. They spent middle school as well as high school separated; only contacting one another once a while. But it was college that brought them back together like good old times.

They were chasing dreams and making memories together. What a waste, Eun Kyung was force to withdraw from her course as her family could no longer pay her tuition fees. Hoon was surprised when he no longer sees Eun Kyung around campus any more. And that’s when one night, two years ago, on a rainy night, came a knock on the door of his house. Outside, was a girl drenched by the rain and in sweat, eyes red and puffy, still crying at his door step.

“This is your place from now on. It’s just an extra space me and my dad made so we could just hand out away from my mum sometimes. It’s your place now.” Hoon’s words soothed her aching heart a little as he showed Eun Kyung her current home.

*

With a final strum, the performance ended and slowly, the crowd began to disperse. Eun Kyung collected her tips, stuffed them into her pouch, packed her stuffs and head to the bench where Hoon is at.

Eun Kyung sighed heavily as she set her things down and sat next to Hoon, leaning against Hoon’s well toned arms.

“Nice.” Hoon whispered as he Eun Kyung’s hair.

Eun Kyung grinned to herself as Hoon compliments her. Hoon stood up, carried her guitar on his back, amp in one hand and grabbed Eun Kyung’s hand in another. Surprised, Eun Kyung quickly stood up and followed Hoon as he pulled Eun Kyung’s hand to some where only they know. Eun Kyung looked at their hands linked then look up to see Hoon from the back and giggled to herself.

“Hoon, my superhero.” Eun Kyung cringed by the thought though it made her warm and fuzzy inside.