Chapter 33: Congratulations

Saviour: Right Next to You

The room was not really big; it’s slightly bigger than Kiseop’s practice room, with mirrored walls and parquet floor. Kiseop hands his CD to the man in charge of the audio and took his place in front of the panel of judges. There were 5 of them, all aligned side by side accompanied by a table in front of them. Next to the table stood a tripod stand with a camcorder fixed on top of it and a man stood behind the camera, the red light was on- it’s recording.

            “Hello. My name is Lee Kiseop, I’m 19 this year.” Kiseop started, as he bowed down in respect.

            “Hello, Kiseop. Whenever you’re ready.” One of the male judges greeted him. The rest nods, with a smile, trying not to create more tension.

            Kiseop turned to the man in charge of the audio and gave him the cue to start. The strong beat of the music that Kiseop recognises from his endless dance practices surround the room. He slowly took his place and surrenders himself to the powerful beat. His body took over the dance floor, his soul as if connected to the rhythm. His impressive floor works in his choreography as well as overflowing charisma as he owned the attention of the eyes of the professionals seated right in front of him. Every limb on his body sways as it portrays a story of strong determination and hard work.

            The judges were tapping their fingers, feet to the groove as they nod in approval to each other as they witness a majestic spectacle of a young man making a start to his dreams. Kiseop sliced his way down the dance floor and ended with a pose, as usual before standing back up and bowing to the audience in front of him.

            “Wow. Very impressive.” One of the judges said as he raises his eyebrows, writing down some notes on Kiseop’s profile. In fact the rest of the judges were nodding approvingly as their pen dances around Kiseop’s profile, writing comments.

            “Hm, Kiseop.” A lady judge sat up as she started. “Do you have any other talents you want to show us?” The lady judge asked.

            “If you let me, I’d like to use your keyboard.” Kiseop asked for permission.

            “Yeah, sure. Are you going to sing for us?” She agrees and asked again.

            Kiseop nods as he made his way to the keyboard placed on one side of the room. Kiseop took a deep breath as his fingers sways down the keys, creating a sweet and resonating melody. Kiseop began singing, taking the judges breathe away at his velvety voice. Kiseop sure is soaring high today.

            Eun Kyung, AJ and Hoon waited outside, eagerly.

            “Damn, sound-proof rooms.” AJ whined.

            “What’s taking him so long?” Hoon questioned.

            But none of the voices of the two boys went through Eun Kyung’s ears. Eun Kyung had her eyes closed as she folds her knees towards her, praying silently that Kiseop would succeed this time.

            Just then they heard the door swing open as AJ turned to face the door only to see Kiseop’s head hung low.

            “Oh no.” Hoon muttered.

            “Oh .” AJ whispered.

            Eun Kyung stood up and turned to look at her boyfriend dragging his feet towards them, head hung low.

            AJ and Hoon each gave Kiseop a small hug as he advances towards Eun Kyung. Seeing Kiseop as if he’s broken, breaks her heart as she circled her arms around Kiseop’s waist, pressing her head against his well toned chest.

            “It’s okay, Kiseop-ah. Your best is good enough.” Eun Kyung whimpered.

            Kiseop pulled Eun Kyung an arm length away from him and tilted her head up. He planted a kiss to Eun Kyung’s forehead and wipes away her tears. AJ and Hoon froze next to them as they watch the Ki-Kyung couple.

            “Are those tears of happiness, for me?” Kiseop chuckled as he looked into Eun Kyung’s eyes.

            Eun Kyung shook her head, still unable to grasp the situation. Hoon and AJ who already knew what was going on turned their backs against the two of them trying to stifle their laughter.

            “Then why are you crying?” Kiseop asked again, his hands intertwined with Eun Kyung’s; a smile slowly forming on his lips.

             “You’re disappointed again, aren’t you?” Eun Kyung asked.

            “Whatever for?” Kiseop pretends to be clueless.

           At this moment both AJ and Hoon could no longer suppress their laughter. Hoon flicks Eun Kyung’s forehead.

            “Aish. This girl, forever so dense and gullible.” Hoon pinched her cheeks, giggling.

            “Eun Kyung ah. Can’t you read Kiseop’s eyes? What does it say?” AJ smacks Eun Kyung’s back.

            Eun Kyung shrugged.

            “It went well, my dear.” Kiseop finally beamed as he pinched both her cheeks. Turning to Hoon and AJ for a good laugh.

            Eun Kyung stood, frozen, slowly registering what just happen in her head. It all came down to her- she has been played. She pouted at Kiseop and started for him, clear delight shown on every muscle of his face.

            “Congratulations.” Eun Kyung whispered as she wrapped her hand around Kiseop’s waist from the back.